ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia > OZ Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #16
TB650
Would be Adventurer
 
TB650's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Blue Mountains, Australia
Oddometer: 638
I fitted an E-09 to my Tenere, it was the toughest tyre I have ever fitted had the sucker in my Mousse changer and all Best tyre I have run on the Tenere to date but

TB
__________________
XTZ660, WR250R Prerun bike awesome!, ex GHR XR650, XR650R and the mighty CT110
www.rideadv.com.au
TB650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #17
Ando74
Adventurer
 
Ando74's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Mid north coast NSW
Oddometer: 47
Here's an interesting tyre changing method i'd not considered before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOX8G...&feature=share
Ando74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #18
k0diak
Roaming Hun
 
k0diak's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Running a E-07 [18"] on one of my XS' & the bloody thing won't wear out!
down to the centre 'bar' in the middle of the tread, what's the legal limit one of these tyres?
Cheers
Baza
Before I got my current sent, I did a bit of reading on the forum and someone asked the reseller in the US. The official answer from the manufacturer is that once the centre bar has no thread left, it's a goer. But I'll keep using it as well anyways.
__________________

k0diak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #19
grimripper
1pissanter
 
grimripper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Byron Bay
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0diak View Post
someone asked the reseller in the US. The official answer from the manufacturer ......
See RTA website AUSTRALIA.

"Each tyre fitted to the motor vehicle must have a
tread pattern of a depth of at least 1.5mm on
every part of the tyre that touches the road
"
__________________
KTM 69TE
watch this pace

grimripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #20
paddyhannen
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Perth, better side of australia
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Running a E-07 [18"] on one of my XS' & the bloody thing won't wear out!
down to the centre 'bar' in the middle of the tread, what's the legal limit one of these tyres?
Cheers
Baza
Bloody hell! Did you maybe notice that the round black thing may have been a bit easier to spin/ moving the bike forward less effectivley than previously? Traction was designed to make the tyre grip using gravity to fight against inertia during acceleration, braking. cornering and stopping ( optional Extras ?) Referenced in the sub paragraphs of rider survival in a section called "antikamikazefaktorr",( english translation- dont kill yourself or anyone else if you can help it) a specialty division of the motorcycle riders code called" make sure you make it home " or " youre riding on your own so I dont have to fuck up my ride by scraping you off a fkn tree/ truck/ child / cow/ soccer mom on sunday afternoon in red a ford territory that somehow did not see you''.

If it was that good, buy another one.
__________________
If you cant eat it, F*ck it or destroy it, Piss on it and walk away.
paddyhannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #21
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 6,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyhannen View Post
Bloody hell! Did you maybe notice that the round black thing may have been a bit easier to spin/ moving the bike forward less effectivley than previously? Traction was designed to make the tyre grip using gravity to fight against inertia during acceleration, braking. cornering and stopping ( optional Extras ?) Referenced in the sub paragraphs of rider survival in a section called "antikamikazefaktorr",( english translation- dont kill yourself or anyone else if you can help it) a specialty division of the motorcycle riders code called" make sure you make it home " or " youre riding on your own so I dont have to fuck up my ride by scraping you off a fkn tree/ truck/ child / cow/ soccer mom on sunday afternoon in red a ford territory that somehow did not see you''.

If it was that good, buy another one.
Still on the road & doing the job!
will try a 606 next time, or just stick with a K460,
E-07, definately a tyre for long distance
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #22
grimripper
1pissanter
 
grimripper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Byron Bay
Oddometer: 199
Mitas e-07

These are looking like a good option for a 6000km from Byron bay-Cameron corner,. Merty, merty, Arkaroola, Wilpena pound etc, sidetracks, Adelaide. Phillip isld, through Snowies and back to Byron.


I've had the Mefo's before and like the front but the rear super explorer 140/80 18 wore very quickly on bitumen.
Fantastic on dirt and grunge.
The front is still going after 8000km. Very hard tyre. Gotta watch it when cold.

The Metzler Enduro 3 Sahara is probably the best combo ever, handling and grip wise as a dual purpose tyre but it's wear can be measured in metres not km's. 5000k max.
It's price is ridiculous too at $250 for the rear.

I have had a Pirelli A/T MT90 rear on for around 3000km now and can say that although it was cheap, it is a piece of shit for anything other than bitumen or small gravel. I'd call it a 95/5%.

What Do you all reckon ?
Could the MITAS EO-7 be the go this time 'round ?
As you can see, there's 6000km round trip and only about 500k is not bitumen.

I don't reall know what to expect but from what i've read and seen, the non bitumen parts look to be mainly gravel, with a bit of sand here and there.
Please correct me if i'm way off here.

Opinions and recommendations welcome.
__________________
KTM 69TE
watch this pace

grimripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #23
k0diak
Roaming Hun
 
k0diak's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 1,022
I found the E09 Dakar on the front and the E07 on the rear is a pretty good compromise setup for the majority of the route you described. You can play something more aggressive on the front, but I couldn't find a better rear so far for long trips.
__________________

k0diak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:29 AM   #24
lentil
All round nice guy
 
lentil's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Gunnedah
Oddometer: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0diak View Post
I found the E09 Dakar on the front and the E07 on the rear is a pretty good compromise setup for the majority of the route you described. You can play something more aggressive on the front, but I couldn't find a better rear so far for long trips.

I hate the E-09 front on the DR its Icky (but enjoy the e-07 and e-09 rears) it just want to push and push and push and wont go round corners I prefer an MT 21 front - factor in that I am a numpty rider and that probably has something to do with the e-09 performance but I know a few others with the same experience with the e-09 front on a range of bikes (KLE, DR)
__________________
F5 is for wussies Command R is where the actions at!

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:21 AM   #25
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!
 
ktmgeoff's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Norf East Tasmania,Australia
Oddometer: 1,389
Just put another EO7 on my 9fiddie, lasted very well, still not worn out when I removed it......from memory it was a shade under 7k...pretty good considering the weight and HP. Have the same on the front, but think I'll try something more aggressive next time, not sure what.
__________________
whatever
ktmgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:06 AM   #26
k0diak
Roaming Hun
 
k0diak's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post
I hate the E-09 front on the DR its Icky (but enjoy the e-07 and e-09 rears) it just want to push and push and push and wont go round corners I prefer an MT 21 front - factor in that I am a numpty rider and that probably has something to do with the e-09 performance but I know a few others with the same experience with the e-09 front on a range of bikes (KLE, DR)
That's why it's called a compromise and I suggested it specifically for this route :) It's good enough (for me and I'm not a good rider) to keep it around 110-120 on sand-gravel mix and if I keep up the speed, it works well in deeper sand as well and looks like it can sustain NT 130km/h tar as well (for a while) at the right pressure. I used the MT21 before (I started this trip on that as well, but it's gone), it's a great tire for shorter rides but it doesn't last. In my opinion, but we all have different needs, styles...etc.
__________________

k0diak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #27
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser
 
clintnz's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Rotoiti, New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,056
I've run both of these, the E0-7 is not as sticky as the MT90 on the tar, especially if it's wet, but it's not too bad & quite predictable, it makes up for this by hooking up really well on gravel, lasting for ages & not being too $$$. One got me through 8500km of Oz no worries. Like the above guys, I run something more aggressive on the front, D605 or TKC80 are good for tar/gravel, you can enjoy the tarmac twistys a bit more than with an E0-9 or MT21 front.

Cheers
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimripper View Post
I have had a Pirelli A/T MT90 rear on for around 3000km now and can say that although it was cheap, it is a piece of shit for anything other than bitumen or small gravel. I'd call it a 95/5%.

What Do you all reckon ?
Could the MITAS EO-7 be the go this time 'round ?
As you can see, there's 6000km round trip and only about 500k is not bitumen.

I don't reall know what to expect but from what i've read and seen, the non bitumen parts look to be mainly gravel, with a bit of sand here and there.
Please correct me if i'm way off here.

Opinions and recommendations welcome.
__________________
'03 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #28
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider
 
hoyks's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: SE Qld.au
Oddometer: 808
I went out to lube the chain and found my E07 has started to die in the past week.

Although it has over 6000km on it and still has around 4mm of wear till it gets to the center bar and a lot more than that till it gets to the wear bars, the tread blocks have started to split on it. In a few of the splits you can see down to the canvas so even for a tight ass KLR rider, it is headed to the big recycling center in the sky...

next week. It's only 12km through town to work, and I couldn't be stuffed changing it tonight.
hoyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #29
Mitas
caretaker
 
Mitas's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 283
E-07

Hi guys

It will be helpful to publish the date of DOT as well....

Things were changed in the late weeks of 2010 ... ( higher percentage of Silica)
__________________
find me here
or here
Mitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #30
RoadBandit
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: sunny mudbourne
Oddometer: 376
Question re Silica content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitas View Post
Hi guys

It will be helpful to publish the date of DOT as well....

Things were changed in the late weeks of 2010 ... ( higher percentage of Silica)
How does more Silica change the tyres wear rate/manners on the road/dirt ?

RoadBandit screwed with this post 06-22-2011 at 03:17 PM Reason: Question re Silica content
RoadBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014