User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
michael.brat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
XR650L Oil cooler & Power Outlet

Here's what I've been working on the past few days.

I found a rather cheap marine grade power outlet on ebay. Went with the optional LED for $3.50 (cheap farkle that lets you know the fuse is good). Also the 60" of wire that is included ended up being the perfect length.

Forgot that I needed to connect the power wire to an ignition power source after routing the wires all the way back (only powered when ignition is "on") but luckily found that the only empty fuse port worked so I shoved it in there. If it doesn't stay, maybe I'll solder on a fuse prong.

Got this usb socket for $0.01 on amazon (ended up being $2.99 after shipping but still cheap!)

The oil cooler I installed is a borrowed idea from thinknlive. Same basic set up as his; just slight differences in mounting and little details. Only costs $40 shipped + maybe $15 for the hosing and clamps at your local hardware store. thinknlive has reported stable temps from this set up; I plan to install a sensor in the oil line from the engine which I believe will get the most accurate engine oil temp readings.

Edit 01/2012:

Revised location shown on Page 2. This location placed behind the rear wheel is not suitable for aggressive offroad use. The tire will bottom out on the cooler when the front suspension is fully compressed!

I used pieces of fuel hosing on nearly all points where the mounting hose clamps would touch the frame to prevent vibration/wear/noise.

I also used flattened pieces of fuel hosing to zip tie around sections of the oil cooler hosing that may come in contact with parts of the bike to prevent wear.

At full lock "right"..

I cut a rectangular section out of oil cooler hosing to use as a bumper for the top and bottom cooler brackets to run the mounting hose clamps through. This worked out well and looks very clean imo.

Bottom bracket..

Top Bracket..

Also hosed the Clarke 4.7 support wire so it doesn't dig into the oil line

Now the cool part! Fender slots

Dremel offers this plastic/wood cutting bit that works much better than the full face discs that get too hot and melt stuff (unfortunately costs about $16 but should last a while)

2 hours later... cut/filed/micro filed/razor scraped; result..

Spaced the fender 3/4" lower on the front bolts & 1" lower on the rear to clear the cooler

Also trimmed 4" off the fender while I was at it

Thanks again to thinknlive for answering all my questions and giving me in-depth feedback. Most all of this custom oil cooler kit was either borrowed or inspired by thinknlive

A few extra pictures of the install can be found at my photobucket.

Original oil cooler posts by thinknlive:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=28080
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4834&page=1895

Mike B

michael.brat screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 04:36 PM
michael.brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Nice job, Mike! Thank you for documenting your work with such excellent photographs!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,229
excellent work, I am impressed
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Visigothic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
The mother of invention strikes again!! I would love to know what the temps are after this mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.brat View Post
Here's what I've been working on the past few days.

I found a rather cheap marine grade power outlet on ebay. Went with the optional LED for $3.50 (cheap farkle that lets you know the fuse is good). Also the 60" of wire that is included ended up being the perfect length.

Forgot that I needed to connect the power wire to an ignition power source after routing the wires all the way back (only powered when ignition is "on") but luckily found that the only empty fuse port worked so I shoved it in there. If it doesn't stay, maybe I'll solder on a fuse prong.

Got this usb socket for $0.01 on amazon (ended up being $2.99 after shipping but still cheap!)

The oil cooler I installed is a borrowed idea from thinknlive. Same basic set up as his; just slight differences in mounting and little details. Only costs $40 shipped + maybe $15 for the hosing and clamps at your local hardware store. thinknlive has reported stable temps from this set up; I plan to install a sensor in the oil line from the engine which I believe will get the most accurate engine oil temp readings.

I used pieces of fuel hosing on nearly all points where the mounting hose clamps would touch the frame to prevent vibration/wear/noise.

I also used flattened pieces of fuel hosing to zip tie around sections of the oil cooler hosing that may come in contact with parts of the bike to prevent wear.

At full lock "right"..

I cut a rectangular section out of oil cooler hosing to use as a bumper for the top and bottom cooler brackets to run the mounting hose clamps through. This worked out well and looks very clean imo.

Bottom bracket..

Top Bracket..

Also hosed the Clarke 4.7 support wire so it doesn't dig into the oil line

Now the cool part! Fender slots

Dremel offers this plastic/wood cutting bit that works much better than the full face discs that get too hot and melt stuff (unfortunately costs about $16 but should last a while)

2 hours later... cut/filed/micro filed/razor scraped; result..

Spaced the fender 3/4" lower on the front bolts & 1" lower on the rear to clear the cooler

Also trimmed 4" off the fender while I was at it

Thanks again to thinknlive for answering all my questions and giving me in-depth feedback. Most all of this custom oil cooler kit was either borrowed or inspired by thinknlive

A few extra pictures of the install can be found at my photobucket.

Original oil cooler posts by thinknlive:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=28080
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4834&page=1895

Mike B
Visigothic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Great job! Ihave been wanting to add a power outlet to my bike fora while now. Can you link the USB socket for me?

Thanks,
Jack
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
michael.brat OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys I'll try to work up an oil gauge solution soon to document the temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrady1982 View Post
Great job! Ihave been wanting to add a power outlet to my bike fora while now. Can you link the USB socket for me?

Thanks,
Jack
Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/GTMax-Charger-...6130768&sr=1-5

Warning: I haven't actually tested it yet so I can't comment on how well it works. It seems these things have varying levels of power and may not work for certain "higher power consuming" devices like smartphones. Some of the big name ones online have complaints of simply not being able to charge smartphones.

All that aside though, it was $3 so I just bought it

Mike B

Update 12/8/11: I've used the USB socket for nearly 20k miles. Even had it plugged in occasionally in rain. Worked perfectly.

michael.brat screwed with this post 12-08-2011 at 07:06 PM
Old 05-23-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
thinknlive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Mike,

Nice clean install and write-up of the cooler mount.

May I suggest a different wire screen on the fender. Maybe it is just the pics but the wire you have there looks big enough to let small rocks through it. I used some leftover galvanized mesh stuff from a DIY pest control project last summer. This stuff...

http://www.osh.com/eng/product/const...25_ft_/2940260

Super strong with really small holes to keep anything much bigger than an ant out while still allowing good airflow.

Today's oil cooler 'test' run:

Moving the cooler up a little higher (to minimize radiated heat from the headers) doesn't seem to make much difference in temps with the bike moving. I figure higher is safer though. Maybe it will help temps with slow dual-sporting on hot days this summer...

With the 10.5:1 JE 101mm piston that I had put in I now get a little engine knock/pinging if my rpms are too low when I open the throttle, even with premium gas. I love the bike response with the bigger piston, jetting and exhaust mods, but I now find myself revving the motor more unless I am just cruising. My 5th gear feels an overdrive now, even with stock gearing.

When I get my tach installed I'll have some numbers to figure out where my optimal power-band and jetting/carb settings are.

Did a 50mile freeway run this afternoon, 70-80mph, almost entirely in 4th gear! Bike pulled hard! the whole time. Oil temps sat comfortably just under 200
thinknlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
thinknlive
Adventurer

Cooler reposition

Here is the small change in the cooler mount I mentioned. I rerouted the speedo cable and lowered the conduit with the electricals a bit to route the hoses as I did. Nothing pinches and the oil lines are more neatly tucked away. There is another inch or so between the header pipe and the bottom of the cooler which may help with slow riding.

The cooler itself is more above the bottom of the fender and, I hope, a little more protected. I may cut another slot in the fender to get more air up high... we'll see.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
michael.brat OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinknlive View Post
Here is the small change in the cooler mount I mentioned. I rerouted the speedo cable and lowered the conduit with the electricals a bit to route the hoses as I did. Nothing pinches and the oil lines are more neatly tucked away. There is another inch or so between the header pipe and the bottom of the cooler which may help with slow riding.

The cooler itself is more above the bottom of the fender and, I hope, a little more protected. I may cut another slot in the fender to get more air up high... we'll see.

Thanks for the wire mesh suggestion. I'm gonna try this set up and may switch to a more fine mesh as you've suggested. I just want to keep the big rocks out

I like the new set up! Looks like there is much lower risk of kinking now. I think I'd have a tough time getting my hose clamps around that part of the frame though. I have some 90s on order as well as the TTO so I should have my modified and hopefully final set up done in a week or so. I'll be sure to post up!

Mike B
Old 05-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
michael.brat OP
Studly Adventurer

Posted a few more pics on the TT thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...8#post10380498

Mike B
Old 06-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
michael.brat OP
Studly Adventurer

Laugh Update

I did some modifications to my oil cooler set up and decided to test it before reporting back. 2800 miles/10 days later; no issues and everything worked out great

I've added some pictures below. First thing is a stainless 90 bend added to the "out" side of the cooler to minimize kinking. The hoses were a little too bent before for my liking.

The second thing is a Trailtech TTO unit. I went with the 1/8x28 BSPP Screw Sensor. I got some brass fittings from a local hardware store and created a "U" flow shape to eliminate the need for any hose bending. It worked out perfectly

My trip was up the Pacific Coast so it was mostly cool weather. The temps ranged from 180-210F in pretty much every type of riding I was doing. Most of it was cruising at 55-65mph, but did a lot of 35-70mph canyon roads so a lot of accel/decel.

Riding in LA where the temp is warmer, I've seen it stay around 220F while cruising @ 75mph on the freeway in 75F weather.

I'm doing a 10k 2-3 month trip across the US in a few weeks so I'll report back with any other changes in temps vs conditions I find. I'm sure there will be many

Mike B
Old 06-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
thinknlive
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.brat View Post
My trip was up the Pacific Coast so it was mostly cool weather. The temps ranged from 180-210F in pretty much every type of riding I was doing. Most of it was cruising at 55-65mph, but did a lot of 35-70mph canyon roads so a lot of accel/decel.

Riding in LA where the temp is warmer, I've seen it stay around 220F while cruising @ 75mph on the freeway in 75F weather.

I'm doing a 10k 2-3 month trip across the US in a few weeks so I'll report back with any other changes in temps vs conditions I find. I'm sure there will be many

Mike B
Hi Mike,

I don't remember if I asked already... Are you running the stock jetting on your XR? Just curious as to the difference in temps between the temp dipstick and the sensor. I have yet to see over 200 on my temp stick, with fairly similar riding and conditions here. I have done Dave's mods; 55/158, etc. Currently get about 46mpg.

It would be interesting to see the difference in temp with the sensor on the other side of the cooler. A good indicator as to how much effect it is
having on oil temps.

Regards,
Lindsay
Old 06-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
michael.brat OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinknlive View Post
Hi Mike,

I don't remember if I asked already... Are you running the stock jetting on your XR? Just curious as to the difference in temps between the temp dipstick and the sensor. I have yet to see over 200 on my temp stick, with fairly similar riding and conditions here. I have done Dave's mods; 55/158, etc. Currently get about 46mpg.

It would be interesting to see the difference in temp with the sensor on the other side of the cooler. A good indicator as to how much effect it is
having on oil temps.

Regards,
Lindsay
Hey Lindsay,

I'm running Daves mods, 55/158, uni, fmf q4, etc..
The would be a cool test. Since your dipstick reads the temps after mixing with the oil in the frame, I'd expect a rather big difference from the temp sensor directy in the hot oil line. Also, you cruise much faster than me

Mike B
Old 12-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #14
michael.brat OP
Studly Adventurer

Since installing the power outlet and oil cooler, I've ridden some miles to test them thoroughly. Over 20,000 actually

Power outlet-
Performed flawlessly. No negatives to speak of really.
The usb adapter I mentioned before (found on amazon for about $2) also worked perfectly. Even forgot to take it off a few times in pouring rain, with no problems.

Trailtech TTO temp gauge-
Same. Worked great, not complaints. Lowest temp it can read is 40F fyi.

Oil cooler-
I found out that this location is not ideal afterall. When jumping waterbars on forest roads, the front tire would bottom out on the back of the fender almost every time. It eventually ripped off the screen and most of the horizontal plastic pieces.

The cooler itself was only hit once from what I could see. I hit a really deep pothole, nearly flipping face first off the bike for that one. You can see the slight bend in the picture below.

I removed the cooler today and plan on relocating it. This will give me a good chance to see how hot the bike runs without it, something I didn't get to compare before since the sensor was installed with the cooler.

The cooler itself is great. While moving, never saw over 270F in any circumstance. Even on back trials with varying speeds. The construction is very strong. Doesn't really need a shield since there are no fins to bend. Since being slighly curved from the tire hitting it, I straightened it back out by laying it against the ground and hitting it with a BFH. Worked great

I'll be relocating the cooler in a few weeks. I'll post up some pictures and feedback once it's done.

Cheers,
Mike B
Old 12-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Thanks for the update, Mike.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote