User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #16
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,048
Cool pictures.

Regarding rechroming, that was not my intention, it is way expensive, compared to the value of the bike. It was just to get an easy paintable surface :)
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #17
ontic

Oddometer: 1,039
very cool and bizarre looking bike
Subscribed.

if you are just planning on painting the exhaust, sandblasting would probably be fine, but also, a good option to consider would be to use electrolysis to de-rust the thing. If you haven't done it before it is very easy and cheap to set up and IMO is thoroughly worthwhile, fun and satisfying thing to do anyway, and once you have set it up it becomes useful for all manner of things. (a bit of googling should reveal the process, or just ask)
When chrome has been pitted that badly then a lot of the dubious stuff will simply bubble off right back to steel with the electrolysis process. After that point I would probably just give it a good wire wheel (to remove any loose chrome that has 'detached' from the electrolysis but has not bubbled off) and then I would just give it a good amount of tooth by sanding with random orbital (and by hand if required) with 80-120 grit. Then some rattle can ceramic header paint.
All this for me would be to keep it easy and keep it cheap.

Good luck,
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #18
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294

VERY COOL. I think you can get laid with that bike. Just find a art major...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #19
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseNC View Post
Cool pictures.

Regarding rechroming, that was not my intention, it is way expensive, compared to the value of the bike. It was just to get an easy paintable surface :)

Then I would personal would first let the parts soak in WD40, then polish the chrome parts and leave the patina as it is. In use I would do a weekly maintaince with old fashion weapon oil like "Ballistol".

By the way very cool bike, I like these front rocker bikes and watch out for thight curves while riding, it will be a little dark
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 AM   #20
mb8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Love it, cool bike

No one can accuse you of following the "in" crowd!

Orange L0 650 V-Strom
mb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #21
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

Will try and soak the parts in WD40, or something like that, then strip most of the chromed parts of the paint.

Would like to hear more about the electrolysis, is it something that you have tried?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #22
ontic

yeah, I've been using electrolysis for years, I love it.
if you have a bit of patience, here is a write-up on the procedure that goes into a little of technical detail of what is happening- it is focused on tool restoration, but you can ignore that,
http://www.htpaa.org.au/article-electro.php

basically you need a battery charger, a large plastic tub, some washing soda (bath salts, sodium carbonate), some scrap steel, and you are ready to go.

Gotta run now (time to cook dinner), but feel free ask questions if you want.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #23
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
yeah, I've been using electrolysis for years, I love it.
if you have a bit of patience, here is a write-up on the procedure that goes into a little of technical detail of what is happening- it is focused on tool restoration, but you can ignore that,
http://www.htpaa.org.au/article-electro.php

basically you need a battery charger, a large plastic tub, some washing soda (bath salts, sodium carbonate), some scrap steel, and you are ready to go.

Gotta run now (time to cook dinner), but feel free ask questions if you want.
Does paint need to be removed? Seems quite simple!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:10 AM   #24
ontic

The paint doesn't need to be removed... so long as you don't mind the paint being removed
Just chuck it in there.
I actually use it deliberately to help remove paint on things I want to repaint. It won't removed it all, but it does pretty well on some paints.

what I'm saying is that the process has the tendency to remove paint, just as it can sometimes remove a bit of chrome. Now it is not as simple as this- if the chrome or paint is in great condition and there is no rust pitting or damage then I have found it is unlikely to be removed (but you woulndn't want to bank on it).

I'll send you another link by PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 AM   #25
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,646
I would leave it as is and just concentrate on getting it running properly.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #26
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseNC View Post
Will try and soak the parts in WD40, or something like that, then strip most of the chromed parts of the paint.

Would like to hear more about the electrolysis, is it something that you have tried?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Electroplating is cool but all the chemical stuff you need, a good company
here in northern Germany is OTR Oberflächentechnik Gmbh not too far away from you, http://www.otr-gmbh.de.

Normal electroplating is cheap, (Zinc plating and then colred in blue = silver, yellow or black costs about 1,50 a kg of screws and bolts without tax! Maximum load is 31 kg! Not worth the hassle and the extra cost you will have to get rid of the chemical stuff again.

Chroming is something different, the plated surfaces have to be perfect,
then they will be cleaned again, then a layer of copper and then first a layer of chrome after the treatment follows the polishing, therefor very expensive.

If you give the guys of OTR any parts with paint they will charge you extra!

The only part I would always rechrome are stanchions if they are bend, show corrosion and are not available as spares anymore. But you don't have any on your model.

Align and hardchrome the stanchions is about three times as expensive an normal chrome, cost per fork stanchion pair around 220,00 € without tax in Germany http://www.wissinghartchrom.de, in technical matter worth the money.

As already stated I personal would first clean up every part, get rid of any technical issue and then reassamble the bike, I think this will show best result for this type of motorcycle.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #27
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
+1

patina can be a good thing.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #28
rusty44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
If you want it to be the most looked at bike any time you stop, DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Fix the mechanicals but leave the outside alone.
Set it next to a 20,000 euro bike and everyone will be looking at your ride.

Great Bike!!!!!!!!!!!!.....Al
rusty44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:24 AM   #29
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 786
Thumb LaB die MZ wie sie ist!

Wie schon viele gesagt haben "laB die MZ wie sie ist". Mechanisch bring sie auf SchuB und dann hab spaB mit ihr. Einer der Insassen hier hat recht, wenn deine MZ neben einer neuen Maschiene steht wird die neue Maschiene kaum auffallen.

Mechanisch auf SchuB bringen, mit WD-40 reinigen und einmal im Monat nachpolieren mit WD-40.

Auserdem, mit der MZ wirst du die "wilden" Weiber finden nicht die altaeglichen!

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #30
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

I am not going to do anything major if that is what you got the impression of :)

But the rearshocks are actually from the front, so it sits higher, which again makes the chain rub on the engine. I want to correct that.

Also, it's funny to try new stuff.

My priorities is ofcourse to get it running good, then a centerstand and then new tyres before I go to the vehicle inspection.