User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #136
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Macoupin county

Here is what is left of the Vine Bridge, it was a through truss bridge over Macoupin Creek on TR 12. The bridge was built in 1892 and closed in 2001. It had a total length of 183.1 feet and deck width of 14.1 feet.

Here is a short video clip of the road to the old bridge site.
CLICK IMAGE to view video....

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #137
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bear Creek bridge

Here we have a bedstead pony truss bridge over Bear Creek on TR 219, 5.0 mi. northwest of Carlinvill. The bridge is open to traffic with a total length of 78 feet and total deck width of 12.1 feet.

Brad
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #138
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Massa Creek Bridge

The last bridge we photographed in Macoupin County was the Massa Creek Bridge, an open to traffic (since 1940) Pratt pony truss bridge over Massa Creek on CH 11 with an overall length of 88.9 feet and deck width of 22 feet.

Brad
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #139
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Montgomey and Fayette Countys

Here are some bridges from a ride JAKEBRAKE and I took in Montgomery and Fayette Countys a few months ago. I had found a gpx file HERE . The author claimed it was mostly tar & chip, some dirt, gravel and a creek crossing. Looked like a nice way to spend a friday in September, so off we went. There were a few old iron bridges off the track so I rerouted to them.
The first was the Hurricane Creek Bridge, an open for traffic pony truss bridge over Hurricane Creek on TR 255, 7.2 mi. southeast of Witt. The bridge is 48.8 feet in length with a width of 13.7 feet.

I dont know much about the small bridge, but the road to it and from it was fun...

The next bridge was the Ramsey Creek Bridge, an open for traffic riveted, 5-panel Pratt pony truss bridge over Ramsey Creek on TR 19, 3.5 mi. northeast of Ramsey. The bridge was constructed in 1929 with a total length of 84 feet and a deck width of 14.1 feet.

The last bridge on the track was the Ramsey Creek Through Truss Bridge, an abandoned (but intact and in good condition) riveted, 5-panel Pratt through truss bridge over Ramsey Creek on US 51, 6 miles north of Vandalia. The bridge was built in 1924, and abandoned in 1954 after new bridge was built to the east.

The view from the new bridge....

On our way home we ran across this bridge, the Little Creek Bridge in Montgomery County. It is a pony truss bridge over Little Creek on TR 288, 0.5 mi. north of Irving. The bridge is open for traffic and built in 1969 with a total length of 83 feet and deck width of 23 feet.

Brad

Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #140
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Thumb Neat stuff you have found..

My hat is off to you. Many of these are literally in my back yard. Had no idea that many are still in use. Great report. One of these days I'll get back and hope to locate a few of them. I love the architecture of them.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #141
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 463
I just discovered this thread, and could not stop reading until the end. I spent my youth growing up in Pekin, and lived in the area for a few more years after returning from Uncle Sam's calling in 1970. I have canoed down the Mackinaw River. Dated a girl in Tremont. Also lived a couple of years in Manito. My brother has lived in the Lincoln area for about 10 years.

Many of these small towns are so familiar, and it has been a real treat to follow your back road adventures.

Thanks.

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #142
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Coles county

Next up are a few bridges from Coles County. The first is the Stone Quarry Bridge. It is an open for traffic, pin-connected, 12-panel Whipple through truss bridge, built in 1883 by the King Iron Bridge Co. and rehabilitated 2009. The bridge is 240.1 feet long with a deck width of 14.7 ft. and vertical clearance above deck at 14.0 ft.

location; 3931'16" N, 8806'36" W

Brad
Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #143
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrentMiller View Post
I just discovered this thread, and could not stop reading until the end. I spent my youth growing up in Pekin, and lived in the area for a few more years after returning from Uncle Sam's calling in 1970. I have canoed down the Mackinaw River. Dated a girl in Tremont. Also lived a couple of years in Manito. My brother has lived in the Lincoln area for about 10 years.

Many of these small towns are so familiar, and it has been a real treat to follow your back road adventures.

Thanks.

Brent

Brent,

I am glad you are enjoying this! I am having a ball locating and photographing these old structures. Check back from time to time, there are many more bridges to ride to and photograph.

Brad
Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 AM   #144
Silver dude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
1st post been lurking on this thread a long time. Excellent details in this thread. I've always had a thing for the history and engineering that went into these old structures. Who knew that Illinois has something to explore.
Silver dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #145
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_adv View Post
Brent,

I am glad you are enjoying this! I am having a ball locating and photographing these old structures. Check back from time to time, there are many more bridges to ride to and photograph.

Brad
Will do. It's on my list of threads to check. The next time I ride to Lincoln to visit my brother, Barry Miller, I'll have to pay more attention to the back roads, and see if I can find some of these historical treasurers.

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #146
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,082
bridges

great pic and thread. thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #147
DustyPockets
Flatland wanderer.

Oddometer: 57
I recall driving across the Hazen bridge (page 3) as a teenager. The condition of the bridge wasn't a a whole lot better then, lots of clattering and creaking going on.

Thanks for the thread.
DustyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #148
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver dude View Post
1st post been lurking on this thread a long time. Excellent details in this thread. I've always had a thing for the history and engineering that went into these old structures. Who knew that Illinois has something to explore.

Wow!... first post. I am honored!!
I am glad you are enjoying this thread.
There is so much more to Illinois than the corn and soybean fields!!

Brad
Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #149
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Coles county

Here we have the Airtight Bridge, a through truss bridge over Embarras River on TR 275, northeast of Charleston, 3 mi. northwest of Ashmore. The bridge was built in 1914 by the Decatur Bridge Company. The architect was Claude L. James. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981 as survey number 81000211. The bridge is open to traffic with a total length: 189.5 ft., a deck width: 15.4 ft. and vertical clearance above deck: 13.2 ft.

In 1980, a dismembered corpse ( the head, hands, and feet were missing from the cadaver) was found on the east bank of the river thirty yards downstream from the bridge, causing quite a stir in the local media. Police investigated for years, but were unable to determine the identity of the victim until 1992, when DNA testing produced a match to a missing person from Kankakee, Illinois. The murder is now in the cold case file of the Illinois State Police.

Brad
Old 01-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #150
Oddball
Starting over

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_adv View Post
Here we have the Airtight Bridge, a through truss bridge over Embarras River on TR 275, northeast of Charleston, 3 mi. northwest of Ashmore. The bridge was built in 1914 by the Decatur Bridge Company. The architect was Claude L. James. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981 as survey number 81000211. The bridge is open to traffic with a total length: 189.5 ft., a deck width: 15.4 ft. and vertical clearance above deck: 13.2 ft.

Brad
Brad thanks for posting. I had a great time near this bridge in '91 while attending EIU. This will be a must visit in April when I will be going to Moonshine.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote