Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
wgjohnst OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Best middleweight naked bike? (Brutale 675/800, M821, Street T R, Shiver 750, F800)

Hi Guys,
First time poster but have been reading the site for a while now. A little bit about where Im at, I have been riding a SV650 for the past few years now and have about 25,000mi - would like to upgrade and am starting to think about what bikes I should give a serious look and ultimately test ride (live in SF so am spoiled with all dealers being relatively close). I use my bike as a semi-daily commuter as well as twistys / short road trips on weekends. I want something that will handle well in the city / traffic (low end power) but also will be fun to ride on back roads. Am 6-3 so size is important, never really had issues on the SV but know some of these bikes are small(er).

Have the M821, brutale and street triple in my top 3 right now (the MV just looks so good). Am unsure about the MVs fueling hiccup and soft suspension as well as the right footpeg and exhaust location on the monster but would like to hear what you all think.

Thanks for reading such a long post and appreciate the insight
wgjohnst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
Noswal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Just European Bikes?

No Japanese stuff like an FZ07/ Versys/ CB650?
Noswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Tim_Tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
By all accounts the Brutale 800 is the best fueled MV yet. It also has more of a wow factor than the other bikes.

The shiver is nice but it's getting a bit outdated by now.

That said I would pick the Monster 821. I think it looks the best and would be a better bike to live with. The Striple is a close second in my book.

I wouldn't bother with the F800. Nowhere near the same quality and performance of the order bikes. Hohum brakes and suspension and a motor with zero character.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgjohnst View Post
Have the M821, brutale and street triple in my top 3 right now (the MV just looks so good). Am unsure about the MVs fueling hiccup and soft suspension as well as the right footpeg and exhaust location on the monster but would like to hear what you all think.

Thanks for reading such a long post and appreciate the insight
I love, love, love the Brutale, but I'd go with the Street Triple (R for me) or the Monster 821. The Striple is simply the best urban sport bike out there - reviewers love them, the owners adore them, it's just the bike to get if you can afford it.

The Monster comes in second because it's good, Ducati has almost as broad a dealer network, and the new models fit a six-footer like me better (though my size 14 feet would have issues).

The Brutale is a great bike and a work of art, but an MV isn't as easy to own here in KY, and even in Chicago (where I lived last year) there didn't seem to be a lot of resources for owners. It'd be the perfect bike for a rich friend that didn't ride much so you could borrow when the mood took you, but I don't know about owning one.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Everyone's opinion is wrong. Go ride them and decide which one you like most.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:37 AM   #6
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,419
Strom

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #7
pauljr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Fz-07
Old 04-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
As a former SV650 owner, I wish I had never sold it. But, if I get back into that type of bike (which I'd like to do eventually), I'd be looking at the Triumph Street Triple R or FZ-07 if its going to see use as a commuter. Maybe the FZ-09 or even the FJ-09 if the extra money or lower mpg isn't a concern.
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
spazegun2213
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Not that I have much say, but I just finished shopping for my "new" bike.

I limited the choices to the KTM Duke 690, Street Triple, and the Ducati Monster. I wanted a fun naked bike with ABS.

I ended up with a KTM duke because of a few factors. First, price, they were by far the cheapest, even on the used market. Second, looks/feel, while not as good looking as the monster, you sit IN the ktm, vs on the Truimph. Lastly fun factor, I dont see many people on Duc's doing wheelies grinning from ear to ear. I feel like that happens every 30 seconds on a KTM

I think you have some good choices, obviously the MV will be the most exclusive, and have the highest maint costs. But sit/ride them all and then buy one and be happy!

cheers!
-Spaze
spazegun2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #10
Tim_Tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazegun2213 View Post

I dont see many people on Duc's doing wheelies grinning from ear to ear. I feel like that happens every 30 seconds on a KTM
Haha you're riding with the wrong Ducati guys then. Granted about half of Ducati owners are more interested in installing the latest carbon fiber thing or wearing their Ducati Corsa branded underwear, but the other half generally ride the wheels off their bikes.

Of course I am biased as I'm waiting for my Duc Scrambler to arrive, but the Duke 690 is a bad ass motorcycle. I do have to give props to KTM for making some real hooligan machines.

My advice to the PO is since he's already narrowed it down to his top 3, (821, STR, & Brutale) GO to the dealer and GET YOURSELF A TEST RIDE! Ride all three bikes and then it should become clear what is the best bike for you. Typically the same dealer will often carry Duc, MV, and Triumph so it could be one stop shopping!
Old 04-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
spazegun2213
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
Haha you're riding with the wrong Ducati guys then. Granted about half of Ducati owners are more interested in installing the latest carbon fiber thing or wearing their Ducati Corsa branded underwear, but the other half generally ride the wheels off their bikes.

Of course I am biased as I'm waiting for my Duc Scrambler to arrive, but the Duke 690 is a bad ass motorcycle. I do have to give props to KTM for making some real hooligan machines.

My advice to the PO is since he's already narrowed it down to his top 3, (821, STR, & Brutale) GO to the dealer and GET YOURSELF A TEST RIDE! Ride all three bikes and then it should become clear what is the best bike for you. Typically the same dealer will often carry Duc, MV, and Triumph so it could be one stop shopping!
You are probably right, the ones I see here are all decked out in Corsa wear and CF bling. I'm sure there is a small community of hooligans

But I agree with you, Test ride them all! Go, enjoy!
spazegun2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
Paebr332
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazegun2213 View Post
You are probably right, the ones I see here are all decked out in Corsa wear and CF bling. I'm sure there is a small community of hooligans

But I agree with you, Test ride them all! Go, enjoy!
Five years, two posts, 15 minutes apart, in the same thread.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
Starrman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Do you guys get the Z800 in the US?

I'm considering a similar buy myself and have narrowed the choice down to a Z800, Street Triple, GSR 750, possibly an 821 Monster.

My last bike was a Speed Triple, a dozen years ago, sorely missed.

Not sure I need the bigger cc's these days, the middleweight class is plenty enough for me.
Starrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #14
Tim_Tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrman View Post
Do you guys get the Z800 in the US?
Nope. Z1000 only. And the GSR750 won't be in California till next year I believe.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #15
Starrman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
Nope. Z1000 only. And the GSR750 won't be in California till next year I believe.
Why are some bikes not sold in some states? (Genuine question, I'd heard this before, but never understood why)
Starrman is offline   Reply With Quote