Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
what would you chose?

HI,

I am narrowing my list to one of this two bikes. I will keep the cbf 500 and buy a additional bike. Both of this bikes has pros and cons and it is difficult for me to choose one. Which one would you vote for? Explain also please why you would chose the bike you advising me of buying?

The vn 900 classic looks more beutiful then the dragstar, it's technically little bit more komplex, a like it's 20 litre fuel tank and that it has FI. It could be a advantage driving on high altitudes. There is a couple of thing that worries me about this bike. The most important is the engine, will it come short on long distance rides? The rear shock are not impressive nor the seat.

The advanteges with the dragstar 1100 classsic is it simplecity. That it has somewhat stronger engine. The seat is not good and I think the engine is not free revving enough for me. The shaft rises the bike little bit but not to much annoying.

http://www.blocket.se/vasterbotten/K....htm?ca=14&w=3

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Yama....htm?ca=14&w=3

Regards,

Iranian
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
Gander
Newly minted n00b

Oddometer: 888
Neither appeal to me. I'd go straight for a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 if I were in the market for a lightly used metric cruiser.
Gander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,155
I had the 1100. Good power for what it is, and I shaved down the seat. Scraped the floorboards a lot and got 240kms to a tank. Oil changes are a pia as the pipes and right floorboard and brake peddle had to come off. This can be remedied for a couple hundred bucks.

dont know anything about the kawi. FI is always nice though.

good luck.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,836
I would go with the 900. It is more modern, liquid cooled, FI, slightly lighter (depends on model), and is still in production.

The 1100 isn't much (if any) more powerful. Both have mid 50s torque, I think the 1100 is 3 or 4 lb/feet higher

If your insurance is based on displacement, the 900 would be cheaper to insure.

That said, you can probably find a nice 1100 for less $.

Previous poster mentioned the issue of ease of the most basic service item (oil filter).
Old 09-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am a where of the oil filter story. The insurance for a cruiser is dirty cheap in Sweden so the engine size does not matter for the insurance company.

The specification for the dragstar 1100 classic is:

62hp and 85 Nm torque and a thoretical top speed of 167 km/h. That is what yamaha has stated to the goverment.

The kawasaki has 50 hp and a torque of 79 nm and theoretical top speed of 160 km/h.

I appriciate you help! Keep writing.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
vainamoinen
Bumblebee master

Oddometer: 40
The Yamaha is cheaper. And better looking and had a lot of service done. I would buy the Yamaha.
vainamoinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,134
I have a lot of mileage on a VN900 Custom. Was an OK bike but it was not happy above 70mph indicated on the highway. A lot of vibration.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post
I am a where of the oil filter story. The insurance for a cruiser is dirty cheap in Sweden so the engine size does not matter for the insurance company.

The specification for the dragstar 1100 classic is:

62hp and 85 Nm torque and a thoretical top speed of 167 km/h. That is what yamaha has stated to the goverment.

The kawasaki has 50 hp and a torque of 79 nm and theoretical top speed of 160 km/h.

I appriciate you help! Keep writing.
Must be a different bike. The aircooled Star 1100 in North America (we don't have the Dragstar) is not that powerful, based on Google results.

The ones sold here are good looking bikes for sure. A guy I worked with who had one said his wife's Sporty was faster, but he enjoyed it all the same.

FI and a 20 L fuel tank are nice. Since you will have the CB, what is the intended use of this bike? A cruiser is different mission than a long-distance tourer or a high-speed bomber.

Curious, why those 2 and not other similar bikes? Honda VTX1300 for example, or the Vulcan 1500 / 1600, Boulevard 1500, or the Yamaha V4 1300?

jon_l screwed with this post 09-28-2014 at 03:59 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Alexander B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
The range (and technical specs) of bikes sold in Sweden is different from US. Yamaha Drag Star 1100 was the single most sold model for a year or two. VN900 is also common, but the bigger Kawasakis and Suzukis not so much.
Alexander B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As far as I know the dragstar 1100 classic and vstar 1100 classic is the same bike. Maybe they have different out but due to different laws but basically same bike.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have the cbf 500 and not the cb 500 I want a cruiser for two different reason. One is that I suffer from inflammation in my hipp caused by the aggressive legangel. The second reason is that I want to have a cruiser that I can convert it to foot clutch and handshift.

The reason I have choosen this two bikes are money, result of lots of testriding and I also think that too powerful engine combined with foot clutch could be little bit to much fun for me

Could you please provide some link that show that vstar 1100 classic has less then 62 hp? I have not been able to find it my self.

The vtx 1300, I have not testdriven it and it is also more expensive then the dragstar 1100 classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Must be a different bike. The aircooled Star 1100 in North America (we don't have the Dragstar) is not that powerful, based on Google results.

The ones sold here are good looking bikes for sure. A guy I worked with who had one said his wife's Sporty was faster, but he enjoyed it all the same.

FI and a 20 L fuel tank are nice. Since you will have the CB, what is the intended use of this bike? A cruiser is different mission than a long-distance tourer or a high-speed bomber.

Curious, why those 2 and not other similar bikes? Honda VTX1300 for example, or the Vulcan 1500 / 1600, Boulevard 1500, or the Yamaha V4 1300?
Old 09-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/buyer...tar-Custom.htm

This link say also 62 hp but the top speed is not accurate. Yamaha has stated 167 km/h as a top speed in Sweden. It is it's theoretical top speed. Seen bikes reach 180 km/h on speedo but it is probably showing little bit two much.

My concern with the vn 900 classic is that it is going to be to slow.

I have testdriven both bikes twice.

The heart says the vn 900 classic and the brain the dragstar 1100 classic.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post
As far as I know the dragstar 1100 classic and vstar 1100 classic is the same bike. Maybe they have different out but due to different laws but basically same bike.
Same bike.. I have a few thousand posts on a Vstar 1100 forum. Dual discs are a big plus on the star. Valve checks are frequent but easy, as is the carb syncs.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #14
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The general feeling that I got when I was testriding the vn 900 classic is that the performence was just on the border on being ok or to weak. It is on the border for me. I am going to test drive it once more this week.

If it had 1100 cc and 62 hp it would be my chose.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #15
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes and that is a big plus for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Same bike.. I have a few thousand posts on a Vstar 1100 forum. Dual discs are a big plus on the star. Valve checks are frequent but easy, as is the carb syncs.