User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
hammick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Greedy and arrogant f'in Harley dealers

I've never owned a Harley and must admit I have been pretty anti-harley for years. I road a 2014 Street Glide and a 2014 Road King. Also rode a 2012 Street Glide, a 2011 Street Glide and a 2012 Electra Glide Ultra. I must admit they are fun bikes and handle a lot better than I thought.

So Rawhide Harley in Olathe, KS lets me ride all of these bike and I even take home a 2012 Street Glide over night so my wife can ride on the back. I leave my '06 RT with them so they can evaluate the trade.

Fast forward to today when I talk numbers with the sales manager. I get quoted $28,900 for a 2014 Street Glide Special. This is $5,966 over MSRP. I was quoted $21,900 for a 2011 Street Glide with 8,100 miles (that had ABS and security packages). This is $176 more than it's new MSRP.

I told the sales manager that I have never paid more than MSRP for a bike and I am never going to. He said I will have to if I want a new Harley because all the Kansas City dealers charge more than MSRP. He claimed he was still selling 2013 models for over MSRP.

Is this guy full of shit or are people really desperate enough to get financed for a Harley that they are willing to pay these crazy prices?

BTW I told him twice that I was paying cash if the numbers were right and he still tried to play the payment game.

Oh well at least I got to ride a bunch of nice bikes so I can now turn my attention to the private market.

It's tough trying to be a pirate

hammick screwed with this post 02-05-2014 at 11:16 AM
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,718
The guy might be right about KC, but the roads lead right out of that craphole and into other markets. The do MSRP around here, ++++ of course.

Quote:
BTW I told him twice that I was paying cash if the numbers were right and he still tried to play the payment game.
It's not 1977 anymore. Your fistful of cash only means the dealer doesn't get financing kickbacks and spiffs, so you're not the swinging cod you used to be with a cash deal.
All the hillbillies around here try that line and get shut down too.
Walk in with a 790+ beacon score. That's the new "cash."
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
ADC
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I never bought a bike from Topeka HD but think Mike Patterson would be good.
ADC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Village People:ymca
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Brother purchased a Street Glide last month for slightly under MSRP in Nashville. Just keep on looking for a dealer or better yet pick one up lightly used.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
hammick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
It's not 1977 anymore. Your fistful of cash only means the dealer doesn't get financing kickbacks and spiffs, so you're not the swinging cod you used to be with a cash deal.
All the hillbillies around here try that line and get shut down too.
I'd happily finance the damn thing if they would sell it for MSRP and give me good money for my RT. Hell I am glad it worked out the way it did so I didn't buy something I would regret. That's a hell of a lot of cash for a cruiser.

After I left Rawhide I took the RT down to Frontenac, KS to look at a 2013 Victory Cross Country for a blow out price. Too bad I couldn't warm up to it's looks and size. It has a sweet engine.

I need to quit watching Sons of Anarchy
Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,053
Cool2

Wait until a couple weeks after Christmas.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
hammick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I would assume they would rather have people with crappy credit so they get them financing with a ridiculously high interest rate. But I must admit I know nothing about how Harley dealerships operate other than what I learned over the past two days. Any future dealings I have with Harley dealerships will be over the phone and not involve a trade. Better yet, If I buy a Harley I will get it from a private owner over the winter.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,057
There are dealers who will deal. You just have to find them. I don't know who that might be within reasonable distance of you, but I know who they are around me because I used to compete with them when I worked in the business.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
I talked to a guy at work who bought a street glide $500 under msrp, but his price was higher than msrp when freight and prep was added, but he still insist he paid under msrp?
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
My local Harley dealer (in Maryland) is selling almost every single new bike on the showroom floor for MSRP or LESS.

Find another dealer, you'll get a better price.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
blatant
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Harley's aren't really my style but nor are a lot of other bikes...but the secondary market is HUGE for all types of bikes and has never let me down.

You should USE the dealer to chose the HD you want with test rides and then peruse the CL/CT and other private markets, get a bike with a ton of extra shit (that you'd may/probably not 'ever' add on/buy) potentially no tax based on where you live and roll away with a fat, happy smile knowing your dollar severed you well this way. Kinks already sorted out.

Once you've secured this new awesome ride, roll by the HD dealer, find the salesman that tried to run a game on you, call him to review it, and then tell him to "suck it" with a smile.
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
He said I will have to if I want a new Harley because all the Kansas City dealers charge more than MSRP. He claimed he was still selling 2013 models for over MSRP.

It's tough trying to be a pirate
Go to a different city.

I've only purchased one Harley in my life. Went to two dealers, got an offer, went back to the other, said: can you beat them?

They did. Three thousand below msrp for a 2011 Road Glide Ultra in late July 2011.

I've had nothing but good vibes from the dealership.

Maybe I got very lucky. Maybe not.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #14
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Go the Harley website. Add up Harley's list price for the bike, color option, any other factory options and the Harley listed freight. That should be your starting point and you should pay less than that (before license, tax and title) unless it's a really hot selling model.

We have one dealer here that insists on adding about $2k to the list price and acts like they're doing you a favor if they get down near list price. I go across town to another dealer where they treat me right and I always buy below MSRP with no hassle. That dealer has sold me 5 Harleys, the other one zero.
DLFLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
MHaz01
I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer: 195
Buy a different brand. Or buy from a dealer in another city. I wanted a Harley, but got a very good deal on a Victory.