Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #181
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
arshishb, it's interesting that ultimately you did manage to get your rear brake to work well. I've been using mine harder but still not much improvement. Guess I'll try dragging it some and see if that helps. The fronts weren't that great either for a while but they broke in nicely. The feel and initial bite isn't wonderful but they have plenty of power. Unlike the rear...

fdl3, maybe you're right. I never gave the comment much thought. I figured it was a common opinion... ;)

CrashDummy, keep us posted on the seat. It's on my list for next month but I'm concerned I won't get many miles on it before winter. I'd hate to buy and pass by the return period without getting to ride it much.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #182
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
arshishb, it's interesting that ultimately you did manage to get your rear brake to work well. I've been using mine harder but still not much improvement. Guess I'll try dragging it some and see if that helps. The fronts weren't that great either for a while but they broke in nicely. The feel and initial bite isn't wonderful but they have plenty of power. Unlike the rear...

fdl3, maybe you're right. I never gave the comment much thought. I figured it was a common opinion... ;)

CrashDummy, keep us posted on the seat. It's on my list for next month but I'm concerned I won't get many miles on it before winter. I'd hate to buy and pass by the return period without getting to ride it much.
For the fronts, I recommend going to a deserted parking lot or road & getting upto decent speed & then slowly squeeze the front brake, slowly but steadily is key. DO NOT grab a handful, DO NOT apply same pressure, keep increasing the pressure till you come to a stop. The idea is to get the pads & rotors reasonably hot that they start mating with each other. Repeat this a bunch of times & you will see improved brakes. You do not have to be at triple digit speeds for this. 50 mph should be sufficient.

DO THIS ONLY IF YOU FEEL CONFIDENT, OTHERWISE LET THE BRAKES BED IN THE OLD FASHIONED WAY. No point in being thrown over the bars just to bed brakes.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #183
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
It's only the rear that seems weak. My fronts have been used enough now they seem to be ok. They've been used hard enough and consistently enough in my normal riding that my front tire is worn as much as the rear or maybe even a little more. This is the first bike I've ever had that wore the front tire that rapidly...
Old 09-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #184
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,450
Only 700 miles on my 1000 Ninja and I can feel the motor is spinning a bit more freely. I have a ScottOiler on the way, and it should mount nicely under the seat.
I have a ScottOiler on my 2008 KLR 650 and it has lived up to its promise. I have not had to adjust my chain or lube it in the 5,000 miles since I installed it.
The ScottOiler does have a couple of down-sides, it can be messy when the weather is hot and the oil flows more freely.
Also, the oiler can't keep up with really dirty trail riding. For tough trail riding, I turn the oiler off, and use regular chain lube.
For road riding, I expect the ScottOiler to cope rather well and I ordered the heavier oil for summer riding.

Alaska Deep Adventure

RideDualSport.com screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 07:34 PM
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #185
iMoto
08 690E, 11Ninja1000

Oddometer: 6
rear brakes

I presumed the rear brake feel has a lot to do with the rubber mounting of the right foot peg assembly. When you attempt hard pressure on the rear brake the entire pedal moves significantly. I understand the Z1000 foot peg assembly is solidly mounted so it would be interesting to know if the folks with Z1000s also feel the rear brake is a bit soft.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #186
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Anyone make a tall saddle for this bike?

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #187
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Rick Mayer makes excellent custom seats, I really like what he turned out for my Buell.

We did 300 miles on the Ninja's today, so I hit the 1000 break-in and briefly hit red-line. My brother's old Ninja that has been tuned to 124 rear wheel horsepower, showed its stuff! I could not shake the old bike in a pseudo-drag race.
The old one holds up rather well, the styling, motor and handling - still excites me.
The 2011 Ninja was sublime. It effortlessly gobbled up the turns and felt totally connected to me.

Alaska Deep Adventure
Old 10-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #188
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Your pics are great! New and restored in the same pic.
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #189
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
new,old

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc16 View Post
Your pics are great! New and restored in the same pic.
the new one looks like a spsceship next to tho old ninja
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #190
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMoto View Post
I presumed the rear brake feel has a lot to do with the rubber mounting of the right foot peg assembly. When you attempt hard pressure on the rear brake the entire pedal moves significantly. I understand the Z1000 foot peg assembly is solidly mounted so it would be interesting to know if the folks with Z1000s also feel the rear brake is a bit soft.
Rear brake felt good the few times I have used it but I was not overwhelmed by it's performance.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:06 AM   #191
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
I've missed all the Ride events for the season but trying to find a local dealer near Boston with a demo bike.

There is a new black model for sale on eBay with a buy-it-now price of $9,495 in New Jersey.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #192
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
There is a new black model for sale on eBay with a buy-it-now price of $9,495 in New Jersey.
Don't forget the $498 Dealer Fee on that listing!

I want one as well.....
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #193
GeronimoNinja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
The new Ninja 1000 is one hell of a bike

I'm new to this forum, but not new to riding.
I bought a Ninja 1000 in June of this year and have over 2500 miles on it.
Traded my 2009 Kawa. Verseys in for it.
It has all of the superlatives that the reviewers gave it and more.
I'm an old guy (63+) and this is one unique superbike. ABS, you don't need no stinking ABS. I read some of the whining comments in this forum earlier: and overall this is a great all around commuter (fast if need be), great medium range touring bike and I have taken it into the California foothills, and the Napa wine country with twists managed very well (did I mention fast?).
Seat comfort is not bad, but a small thing to complain about compaired to the great handeling, even torque, very good ergonomics for an old guy, and holds a corner and line very well (did I say fast?).
To appreciate this bike you have to have some throttle control. It is not a newbe bike, but a great intermdeiate and expert / experienced bike (I'm no expert, but experienced).

I am smileing every time I ride it and have compaired it with the V-Strom, GXR-750, Yamaha YZF-R6, Yamaha FZ8 ,Duc. Diavel, and more before "I pullled the trigger" and bought this bike. It is a "one bike in the garage" bike that does it all for me. Yes, many bike can do faster, handle better, are a bit more comfortable, etc: but this "Bike of The Year" got this way by doing most of the things I like in a "Sport-Tourer" very well, and nothing real bad.

Just an opinion from an older rider, having fun on what may be his last years on a sport bike, and loving it.
GeronimoNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #194
GeronimoNinja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
The new Ninja 1000 is one hell of a bike

I'm new to this forum, but not new to riding.
I bought a Ninja 1000 in June of this year and have over 2500 miles on it.
Traded my 2009 Kawa. Verseys in for it.
It has all of the superlatives that the reviewers gave it and more.
I'm an old guy (63+) and this is one unique superbike. ABS, you don't need no stinking ABS. I read some of the whining comments in this forum earlier: and overall this is a great all around commuter (fast if need be), great medium range touring bike and I have taken it into the California foothills, and the Napa wine country with twists managed very well (did I mention fast?).
Seat comfort is not bad, but a small thing to complain about compaired to the great handeling, even torque, very good ergonomics for an old guy, and holds a corner and line very well (did I say fast?).
To appreciate this bike you have to have some throttle control. It is not a newbe bike, but a great intermdeiate and expert / experienced bike (I'm no expert, but experienced).

I am smileing every time I ride it and have compaired it with the V-Strom, GXR-750, Yamaha YZF-R6, Yamaha FZ8 ,Duc. Diavel, and more before "I pullled the trigger" and bought this bike. It is a "one bike in the garage" bike that does it all for me. Yes, many bike can do faster, handle better, are a bit more comfortable, etc: but this "Bike of The Year" got this way by doing most of the things I like in a "Sport-Tourer" very well, and nothing real bad.

Just an opinion from an older rider, having fun on what may be his last years on a sport bike, and loving it.
GeronimoNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #195
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Howdy GeronimoNinja, welcome to the forum! I have to agree with everything you said. I am 50 years old, and the Ninja 1000 is as sporty a bike that my body can tolerate. The seat does cause some discomfort at the end of a days ride, but its not bad. I certainly plan to replace it, but I have to wait until more of the bike is paid off.
I never expected to find myself on a Japanese inline four bike, because I am so partial to Buells, Ducatis and Moto Guzzis. The last new Japanese four I ever owned was a 1981 Seca 750, which bored me.
But fixing up my brother's 84 Ninja got me excited about the possibility of a new 1000 ninja.
The 1000 Ninja, has proven to have the personality and excitement factor that I look for in bikes. I am having to adjust to the acceleration the bike has. My Buells have lots of torque, but not the tons of horsepower of the Ninja. I am trying to respect the throttle, and make sure I have plenty of room in front of me before gunning the bike.
Cheers!
Alaska Deep Adventure