User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #196
GeronimoNinja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks RideDuelSport.Com

Thanks RideDuelSport.Com, and "OK" the seat can be better. I would like to hear how the Sargent Seat works out.

Skysailer: go ahead and buy the bike. You won't be disappointed. The worst first thing you will have to worry about is the speeding ticket you may get. Truly you can roll on the throttle at 2000K at 30 mph, to 9000K at 80 mph with a small twist (so watch that throttle). What an engine!
I commute 20 miles to work most days and never get much out of third gear. Rained yesterday, and had to watch my traction (standard but with this much HP and torque is requires full attention.

Still looking for a good luggage option and appreciate the comments on this forum.

I like the "Muzzy fender eliminator" that JSarp posted (good pictures) where did you get yours?
Also, how did you deal with the two hidden set screws attaching to the two piece fender (found under the frame)? These are seen on the diagrams on line, and in my factory service manual, but the manual never mentions them or how to get to them. They are very hidden but hold the fender pieces very tight. (just messin' around and found them).

And "OK" again, the back brake is "soft" and takes some pressure.
Most annoying to he when stopped on a hill (trying to hold my position), but works for me trail braking into turns just fine. Front brakes are great.

GeronimoNinja screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 03:42 PM Reason: Found out about Muzzy fender eliminator
GeronimoNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #197
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeronimoNinja View Post
Thanks RideDuelSport.Com, and "OK" the seat can be better. I would like to hear how the Sargent Seat works out.

Skysailer: go ahead and buy the bike. You won't be disappointed. The worst first thing you will have to worry about is the speeding ticket you may get. Truly you can roll on the throttle at 2000K at 30 mph, to 9000K at 80 mph with a small twist (so watch that throttle). What an engine!
I commute 20 miles to work most days and never get much out of third gear. Rained yesterday, and had to watch my traction (standard but with this much HP and torque is requires full attention.

Still looking for a good luggage option and appreciate the comments on this forum.

I like the "Muzzy fender eliminator" that JSarp posted (good pictures) where did you get yours?
Also, how did you deal with the two hidden set screws attaching to the two piece fender (found under the frame)? These are seen on the diagrams on line, and in my factory service manual, but the manual never mentions them or how to get to them. They are very hidden but hold the fender pieces very tight. (just messin' around and found them).

And "OK" again, the back brake is "soft" and takes some pressure.
Most annoying to he when stopped on a hill (trying to hold my position), but works for me trail braking into turns just fine. Front brakes are great.
Once you get into this it's all obvious but here's the best description I can give you on installing the fender eliminator. There's more dissasembly to install it than you'd expect but it's not too bad really. I did mine right away after buying the bike when it was still too cold and rainy to ride. ;)

You have to pull both seats, the grab rails, and the plastic tail section with the tail lamp. There are 6 bolts holding the fender and undertail assembly on the bike. 4 on top, 2 that are on the lower part of the undertail near the front behind the battery box

Once you pull the 6 bolts holding the fender and undertail to the chassis the entire assembly drops down. There are hidden sheet metal type screws that attach the stock fender to the undertail but the Muzzy fender eliminator has no holes for them. I drilled mine so now it does, then bought some bolts and lock nuts to secure the fender eliminator to the undertail. It makes the whole setup much easier to assemble, just like the stock arraignment. Those screws are the hidden ones you're talking about I'm sure.

I also made an aluminum backed gasket for the original opening in the undertail which necessitated using longer bolts to put it all back on the bike. Just 4 more bolts and lock nuts from the hardware store. When it's done it's narrower and looks cleaner than the other fender eliminators I've seen and it uses all the stock lighting. I wanted that since those lights are durable and bright. The Chinese aftermarket lamps that you see on some kits mostly suck. They're dim right up until they fall completely apart, which usually doesn't take very long

I didn't mind doing the extra work since the Muzzy part is also cheap at $50. I ordered it directly from them.

I just put a Sargent seat on my bike this week but haven't ridden it much yet. It looks good and feels much better since it's wider and higher in the front. With it, the 'pocket' I sit in is slightly farther back now. I'm not constantly sliding forward and having the narrow front of the stock seat make the jewels fall asleep. I'll know better how it works over time and report back, but so far I think it's going to be a winner.

I've been trying to overuse the rear brake on my bike to make sure it's completely bedded in but I'm still underwhelmed with it. I'm ok with the front brakes. Not elated, but ok. I'll probably go to braided lines over the winter and then decide if I want to try different pads like EBC HH's. The rear certainly feels like it could use them.

One other thing I keep saying but it keeps being true - The more I ride this bike the more I like it. Kawasaki really built a winner and for the $$ nothing else comes close IMO.

JSharp screwed with this post 10-08-2011 at 12:29 AM
JSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #198
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,428
If we end up getting this scheme, i can see me getting one. Wonderful.
Attached Images

Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #199
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,428
By the way - 2012 sees you guys Stateside get the ABS version..

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...?scid=6&id=568
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #200
rhinoWERX OP
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 832
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
By the way - 2012 sees you guys Stateside get the ABS version..

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...?scid=6&id=568
And in green

IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #201
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,106
Sharp looking bike. Kawasaki seems to be doing things right these days.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #202
GeronimoNinja
Adventurer

Thanks JSharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
Once you get into this it's all obvious but here's the best description I can give you on installing the fender eliminator. There's more dissasembly to install it than you'd expect but it's not too bad really. I did mine right away after buying the bike when it was still too cold and rainy to ride. ;)

You have to pull both seats, the grab rails, and the plastic tail section with the tail lamp. There are 6 bolts holding the fender and undertail assembly on the bike. 4 on top, 2 that are on the lower part of the undertail near the front behind the battery box

Once you pull the 6 bolts holding the fender and undertail to the chassis the entire assembly drops down. There are hidden sheet metal type screws that attach the stock fender to the undertail but the Muzzy fender eliminator has no holes for them. I drilled mine so now it does, then bought some bolts and lock nuts to secure the fender eliminator to the undertail. It makes the whole setup much easier to assemble, just like the stock arraignment. Those screws are the hidden ones you're talking about I'm sure.

I also made an aluminum backed gasket for the original opening in the undertail which necessitated using longer bolts to put it all back on the bike. Just 4 more bolts and lock nuts from the hardware store. When it's done it's narrower and looks cleaner than the other fender eliminators I've seen and it uses all the stock lighting. I wanted that since those lights are durable and bright. The Chinese aftermarket lamps that you see on some kits mostly suck. They're dim right up until they fall completely apart, which usually doesn't take very long

I didn't mind doing the extra work since the Muzzy part is also cheap at $50. I ordered it directly from them.

I just put a Sargent seat on my bike this week but haven't ridden it much yet. It looks good and feels much better since it's wider and higher in the front. With it, the 'pocket' I sit in is slightly farther back now. I'm not constantly sliding forward and having the narrow front of the stock seat make the jewels fall asleep. I'll know better how it works over time and report back, but so far I think it's going to be a winner.

I've been trying to overuse the rear brake on my bike to make sure it's completely bedded in but I'm still underwhelmed with it. I'm ok with the front brakes. Not elated, but ok. I'll probably go to braided lines over the winter and then decide if I want to try different pads like EBC HH's. The rear certainly feels like it could use them.

One other thing I keep saying but it keeps being true - The more I ride this bike the more I like it. Kawasaki really built a winner and for the $$ nothing else comes close IMO.
Thanks (and it looks like I'm turning into a JSharp "wannabe") but I ordered my Muzzy F. Eliminator two days ago: counting a response from you. Thanks again, and those two machine screws no longer threaten me. "Drill Baby Drill." Can't wait to dig into the fender, and I have my drill press oiled.

Still want a Sargent seat, and like you: The more I ride this bike the more I like it.
Its raining today, and the bike is still secure on the road (gotta watch the throttle!).
Old 10-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #203
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
I put a Sargent seat on a couple of weeks ago. Sunday was the first time I got to put any mileage on it (about 250), otherwise it's just been the 15 to work and back.

Not going to write a long review, but my back and my wrist were tired long before my ass was, unlike the stock seat.
If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #204
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks (and it looks like I'm turning into a JSharp "wannabe") but I ordered my Muzzy F. Eliminator two days ago: counting a response from you. Thanks again, and those two machine screws no longer threaten me. "Drill Baby Drill." Can't wait to dig into the fender, and I have my drill press oiled.

Still want a Sargent seat, and like you: The more I ride this bike the more I like it.
Its raining today, and the bike is still secure on the road (gotta watch the throttle!).
If you haven't ordered a factory service manual you should. Between that and the exploded parts views on the net you should be able to figure about anything out. It's not a complicated bike really.

Look at making a gasket to fill the holes on the undertail on either side of the fender eliminator, even if you need to pick up some longer bolts. The idea of water pouring in those holes and having the ECO mounted right inside didn't sit too well with me.

I went up one tooth on the front sprocket and it took the edge off the throttle response. The bike still has plenty of acceleration and the mileage improved slightly.

I've read probably 15 reports on the Sargent seat and I might be the only dissenter so far. Sitting on it I was sure it would be an improvement over stock. But I did about 150 miles Saturday on rural roads, maybe 4 hours of riding, and my ass was sore when I got home. More so than it would have been with the stocker I think. I don't get it. So I'm going to call them this week and see what they have to say about it.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:04 AM   #205
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,418
I will be doing all the service on the Ninja 1000 including a valve check/adjust when the time comes, so my bike does not do this:
Talk about a flame paint job.

The scott oiler installation took a while, because I had to remove the air box, and move the fairing to get to the throttle bodies.
The throttle bodies have the vacume fittings needed to plug the scott oiler into. The oiler fit under the passenger seat nicely.

Alaska Deep Adventure

RideDualSport.com screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 05:09 AM
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #206
GeronimoNinja
Adventurer

Taking a whiz on the bike bonfire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
I will be doing all the service on the Ninja 1000 including a valve check/adjust when the time comes, so my bike does not do this:
Talk about a flame paint job.

The scott oiler installation took a while, because I had to remove the air box, and move the fairing to get to the throttle bodies.
The throttle bodies have the vacume fittings needed to plug the scott oiler into. The oiler fit under the passenger seat nicely.

I would not advise taking a wiz on a burning bike like that. That's what he looks like he is doing anyway.
On second thought: Might as well be I guess.
Nice pictures (was the shot with the Ninja twisting uphill with the hills and water in the background taken at Bodega Bay?).
Old 10-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #207
GeronimoNinja
Adventurer

Got the manual / Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
If you haven't ordered a factory service manual you should. Between that and the exploded parts views on the net you should be able to figure about anything out. It's not a complicated bike really.

Look at making a gasket to fill the holes on the undertail on either side of the fender eliminator, even if you need to pick up some longer bolts. The idea of water pouring in those holes and having the ECO mounted right inside didn't sit too well with me.

I went up one tooth on the front sprocket and it took the edge off the throttle response. The bike still has plenty of acceleration and the mileage improved slightly.

I've read probably 15 reports on the Sargent seat and I might be the only dissenter so far. Sitting on it I was sure it would be an improvement over stock. But I did about 150 miles Saturday on rural roads, maybe 4 hours of riding, and my ass was sore when I got home. More so than it would have been with the stocker I think. I don't get it. So I'm going to call them this week and see what they have to say about it.
Thanks for the advice. I got a manual right after I bought my bike: cracked the two part tail fender with a garage door accident, and now am waiting for my Muzzy to come in.
The factory manual is vague and almost useless when it comes to the rear fender replacement. The manual doesn't mention the two machine screws. If I didn't know what I was looking for I wouldn't see them on the scematic also.
Gasket idea sounds like a good one.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #208
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

I couldn't get my PitBull stand under the bike without compressing the rear fender. Then I'd take the stand out and it would spring backward and scratch the hell of the the swingarm along the way. Now it fits just fine.

Yeah, the manual is of limited help and so are the parts diagrams. But all together plus starting the disassembly and it gets easy enough.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #209
GeronimoNinja
Adventurer

Tires for Rain

I just rode my bike again in the rain, and the rear tire is a little touchy for me on turns. Anybody have any experience with tires other than the Bridgestone Battlax that came with the bike?
Sport, Touring, and RAIN tires?
Or should I just learn how to ride in the rain better (or both)?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #210
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
I just rode my bike again in the rain, and the rear tire is a little touchy for me on turns. Anybody have any experience with tires other than the Bridgestone Battlax that came with the bike?
Sport, Touring, and RAIN tires?
Or should I just learn how to ride in the rain better (or both)?
The BT016 tires compared to other brand sport bike tires are very good in the wet. If you are feeling the "unhooked" feeling, there are no. of reasons.

1)Too much air pressure
2)Too much throttle :)
3)Tires not upto temp

Take it easy the first time around & experiment with different pressures. And the best thing to do in the wet, BE SMMOOOTTHHH. You can brake hard, accelerate hard & lean reasonably far in the wet ONLY if you are smooth. Ham fisted hands need not apply.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote