Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #211
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,699
Michelin Pilot Road 3 are reputed to the premier rain tire. I've never had a problem with BT023, but my bike puts out a lot less power than the 1000.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #212
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,426
We finally celebrated the arrival of some cooler October temperatures by beating it to Del Rio, Tx from Austin on our Dueling Ninjas!
This 700 mile overnight trip was a big test of DoctorDR's 1984 Ninja superbike that was recently resurrected from 18 years of storage, and the first big road trip for my 2011 Ninja.
Here is our route to Del Rio, we spotted tons of cool bikes, like Moto Guzzis, Triumphs and Adventure bikes making their way to the Harvest Classic.

The weather was perfect for the 900 Ninja, it tends to run hot so it loved the cooler weather as we passed through the Camp Wood area.

The lunch in Rocksprings was good and cheap! The basic no-frills burger is $2.25, this one cost .50 more!
On our return through Rocksprings the burger joint was closed. So, we tried one the "biker friendly" BBQ shacks and they refused to sell us a brisket sandwich only, you had to get a drink and side, $10 - or no deal. Talk about brotherhood.

This furry critter tried to take a bite out of my arm as I was riding. At first I though I hit a bird, but went I stopped an got off my bike he fell off my lap.
He's got a cute face.

Man this old bike has a hell of a motor, It kicks in hard at 7500 RPM and pull strong up to 10,500. The big bore kit, ported heads and smooth bore carbs really get the adrenalin flowing, and its addictive!

We took a break to check out the Stuart Bat Cave at Kickapoo Caverns, not much bat action in the heat of the day, but interesting none the less!

The next mornings ride was awesome! The section from Del Rio to just below Sonora was beautiful. Excellent 30 mph sweepers and rolling hills.

We were stunned to see such a beautiful river in Texas! We pulled over, removed our helmets and took it all in. We could hear a lot of wildlife in the trees lining the river.

The latest Ninja, next to its genesis. Let me tell you the apple did not roll far from the tree.
Either bike is capable of insane speeds - one in a deliciously raw way, the other in a civilized way.

Ninja's coming and going!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #213
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,300
Thanks for the photos. Beautiful older bike paired with what's probably the best standard money can buy. BUT...wear the boot inside the pants.....only the "Peach" can get away with that.
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #214
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Cool to see the old and the new together.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #215
Krang
Rides with hippies

Oddometer: 346
RideDualSport.com looks like we lead similar lives(though your adventures seem to be better).
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #216
KodiakRS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Test rode a ninja 1000 at ^ that ^ dealership last week as well. Guess it is a small world. Unfortunately I can't predict how long my current job will be in existence so no motorcycle for me for a while.
KodiakRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #217
mminob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Windshield on Ninja 1000...

The more I look at this bike...the more I like the idea of trying to find a used one soon...My 2009 Versys at 20,000 miles is fun but it's hard to look at...but this Ninja 1000 after my demo ride is a good looking rocket ship...so with a Cal-Sci Windshield, reshaped seat, lower footpegs and a handlebar riser... I would love to own one someday...Cheers
Attached Images

mminob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #218
GeronimoNinja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thumb Frame Sliders for the Ninja 1000"

At the rate I'm going, I may need frame sliders (might like to put them on anyway).
Puig?
Anybody know where to find them, and what are any recommendations (besides don't tip or fall over).?

PS JSharp, thanks for the information and I realy like the Muzzy fender eliminater.
GeronimoNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #219
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeronimoNinja View Post
At the rate I'm going, I may need frame sliders (might like to put them on anyway).
Puig?
Anybody know where to find them, and what are any recommendations (besides don't tip or fall over).?

PS JSharp, thanks for the information and I realy like the Muzzy fender eliminater.
Heres what I have but I haven't installed it yet. But the feel & material finish appears to be top notch.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6849/869/

When you order, make sure you select priority mail shipping which is like $5 or something, it defaults to ground which is $9 & heck of a lot slower.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #220
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Thanks for the photos. Beautiful older bike paired with what's probably the best standard money can buy. BUT...wear the boot inside the pants.....only the "Peach" can get away with that.
Glad you guys enjoyed the photos. Is the "Peach" copying my brother's style?
I have 2000 miles on the Ninja 1000 now, and on this road ride I spent more time at higher RPMs and briefly saw 152 mph.
It was ridiculous how composed the bike was at that speed. I don't even recall a lot of buffeting from the windscreen. The motor is a gem. Being able to take long uphill sweeping turns at speed is great, not to mention how quickly you can pass cars.
But the bike has a sweet spot at about 5200 rpm, around 75 mph, nice for munching miles comfortably.
Alaska Deep Adventure
Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #221
GeronimoNinja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Sliders / Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Heres what I have but I haven't installed it yet. But the feel & material finish appears to be top notch.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6849/869/

When you order, make sure you select priority mail shipping which is like $5 or something, it defaults to ground which is $9 & heck of a lot slower.
Thanks
I saw those on the TwistedThrottle website also: looked at the instillation instructions and they look about right.
Glad to hear they "lood good in hand."
Probably will order these.
GeronimoNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #222
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Does anyone make a bar riser for the Ninja 1000, though?
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #223
mminob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Bar Risers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
Does anyone make a bar riser for the Ninja 1000, though?
I read a post on a kawi forum that Twisted Throttle will have a handlebar riser next year... and with a good machine shop... they could make a 1 inch block to fit under the bars...Good idea ...
Attached Images

mminob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #224
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
RideDualSport.com looks like we lead similar lives(though your adventures seem to be better).
Howdy KRANG! Everyday is an adventure when you own a BUELL! Nice choice of bikes you have. The Ninja 1000 is a great compliment to the Buell. My brother on his 84 Ninja (with a tuned race motor) and me on the Ninja 1000 did an over-night ride. I only have 2000 miles on the N1K and it continues to impress me, with its power, handling and comfort.

Alaska Deep Adventure
Old 10-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #225
Falcon4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto1 View Post
Had mine since March with a recent trip to Arkansas for some twisty pleasure. The bike is great in so many ways. Coming from an 02 FZ1, this is a long leap forward in performance, especially handling. My only negative in stock form was the seat, which has been corrected with the new Corbin seat recently installed. It is not perfect, but a huge improvement.
!
which bike was a leap in performance from the Fz1? the ninja 1000?
really?
We were concerned the ninja 1000 was a step back from our 150hp gen II Fz1s.