User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #301
Mikelly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
My new 2wheel whip - 2011 Ninja1000

So I've always been a Sportbike or more "sport to standard" oriented rider. In 29 years of motorcycle ownership, I've prefered to be on a shorter wheelbase bike. Until the last motorcycle, a 2008 Yamaha FJR1300, the heaviest bike I'd ever owned was the behemoth I started out on in 1983, a 1979 Kawasaki 750 with full vetter fairing, king/queen seats and a cassette/radio player in the dash. That bike was a true tank for a new rider to learn on, but at the age of 16 I didn't care. It was freedom and I was happy to have it... Anyway, I moved on to a smaller Yamaha Seca550 in 1985, and then to a Honda CBR600 in 1987. From there I bounced around sportbikes for the next two decades. In Summer 2010 I thought I was ready for something a little more sedate and bought the FJR. At first I was "new bike" smitten with it. The conveniences of the luggage, the ergos, the motorized windscreen, and the glovebox were all nice to have when commuting 75 miles to my client site or just riding around on. That said, the bike just simply wasn't nimble and agile like previous bikes. For shorter riders, the FJR presents you with options for reach and seat hight, which are nice to have, although I never felt I could get close enough to the bars without feeling a little to stretched over the tank.

So, within the last two weeks I started thinking about the fact that since my trip on the FJR back at the beginning of November, I hadn't wanted to even look at the bike, let alone ride it. There were many nice days that I would walk past the bike to get in my M3 and head out in. Why? No chemistry. No love, and no inspiration to ride it. It had become and "appliance" to me, and nothing more. I realized that I just did not have the chemistry I had with other bikes. My wife commented that I also didn't seem to ride the bike with the same level of excitment. So, this past Thursday I traded it in on a new, left over 2011 Ninja 1000.

I wasn't sure I was going to like the ergos, because in print the bike looks just like any sport bike. But, in the end, after sitting on it, I was convinced that this bike was a good compromise between weight, riding position and wind protection. Riding the bike, I was very pleased seeing how my legs fit and how much bend there "wasn't" in the knee. I was also very pleased with the fact that the bars allowed me to not feel like I was stretched out over the tank. This bike is way shorter than the FJR was, about 120 pounds lighter, and very quick. It also has some of the best mirrors I've ever seen on a bike. For my size (I'm 5'9") I'm able to adjust the mirrors to get rid of the elbows altogether in the view. I also like the fact that there isn't any buzz felt in the bars or pegs. I've only put about 65 miles on it so far, but I can also sense that cornering on this thing is was would be expected. Completely effortless to lay it into a corner as late as you want. Pick your line thru the lane and just go... It's snappy throttle allows you to get the front wheel very light without effort and it makes you feel as though you might want to tape up the lights, remove the mirrors and go do a track day. Tank capacity is 5 gallons and most are reporting about 40 MPG on longer rides with more consistant throttle.

So what don't I like about the bike so far? Well I don't like the lack of heated grips, and I have some on order. I didn't want to wait for the back-ordered bag mounts, so I've ordered the SW Motec Blaze system for now. I'll install at least one powerlet so I can charge the GPS and phone while on trips. I like the idea of their adjustable windscreen, but I may replace the one on the bike with one that is a bit taller. I'll wait a few more miles before I make that decision. I may also retrofit a small glovebox from another bike into the faring. Beyond that, I plan to live with the current pipes/power for a while. I may go the route Scot did with his Z1000 and buy some new wheels for the true gain in performance there. But we'll wait on that and other power enhancements for a while. With the power this bike is already making, I don't know that it's really needed.

Pics from my chilly 42 degree ride yesterday... Trying to just get break-in miles on it...

Mike

Mikelly screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 07:31 AM
Mikelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #302
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,057
Mike

Best of luck with your new rocket. That thing looks FAST while it's standing still.

Bet you can't wait to take it to redline- just make sure the grips are glued on tight.

John

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #303
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,522
outstanding!

good luck with it and thanks for sharing

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #304
u wish u could ride
SHELTON CONNECTICUT.

Oddometer: 130
very nice , I sat on one at dealer.thinking about trading in my busa on it.could you tell me about helmet buffering ? I am also 5.9. please report back on comfort likes dislikes if you get some miles on her.I thought the bike sat really nice ( felt to be in on it rather than on top of it.)anyways very cool choice.
u wish u could ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #305
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,674
Congrats!!!

I really enjoyed my test ride last summer, effortless is the best way to describe the power and handling. Surprising comfort as well, glad to see more of them on the road.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #306
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Great Choice!! Enjoy!!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #307
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,823
The midrange this motor makes is one of the most satisfying things about the bike. It will roll on cleanly and strongly from 3500 rpm, and when you get just over 4k it pulls with authority. VERY nice motor.

I'm in the first couple hundred miles myself, I picked mine up this last Friday (13th).

IMO it's one of the great sporttouring rigs out there for those who like sportbikes. Smooth and light and quick.

I'm 6'-1" and there's plenty of legroom. The screen on the low position gives clean air, when I get up on the freeway I prefer the middle position - but it's winter in Colorado and I want to keep the cold air away at 75mph.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #308
i_4ce
wants a WeeStrom

Oddometer: 229
Is it pretty smooth or buzzy cruising at 75-80mph?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #309
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
A bloke I know has a green one of those with a full ackro system, a PC V, revalved forks and an Ohlins rear shock.

Wonderful.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #310
Mikelly
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a Shoei Quest, which is known for its quiet characteristics. I get zero buffeting at 75-80mph with the windscreen in the middle position. I actually had more issues with the FJR, due to the riding position I was in vs. how I sit on the bike now. The only things I don't like about the bike so far are the conveniences I gave up from the FJR:

Heated grips (on order thru twistedthrottle.com)
Luggage on back order
Lack of place to mount Rammounts balls for GPS/phone/devices which I'll resolve asap
Break-in miles... Been a long time since I've owned a new bike... I want to crack this thing open and have "fun"...
The weather... 40 degrees is no fun on any bike, even with the right gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u wish u could ride View Post
very nice , I sat on one at dealer.thinking about trading in my busa on it.could you tell me about helmet buffering ? I am also 5.9. please report back on comfort likes dislikes if you get some miles on her.I thought the bike sat really nice ( felt to be in on it rather than on top of it.)anyways very cool choice.
I got ZERO buzz on my 65 miles... It transmits none thru the bars and none thru the pegs... I've spent less time at that speed than Blakebird, but there's simply no buzz and the mirrors are just soooo nice.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_4ce View Post
Is it pretty smooth or buzzy cruising at 75-80mph?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #311
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelly View Post
Lack of place to mount Rammounts balls for GPS/phone/devices which I'll resolve asap
Not sure if its applicable for you, but if it has a hollow stem/head nut you can run a ram mount through the headstock, a lot of 675 guys do just that.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #312
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelly View Post
I have a Shoei Quest, which is known for its quiet characteristics. I get zero buffeting at 75-80mph with the windscreen in the middle position. I actually had more issues with the FJR, due to the riding position I was in vs. how I sit on the bike now.
My two main street helmets are an Arai RX7 Corsair and a Shoei X-Eleven.
Both are very quiet in the clean air I get off the stock windscreen.
I stick up a bit more in the breeze at 6'-1", and prefer the lower and middle positions. That might change in the summer - right now I don't want air on the neck in the winter, it might be welcome in July

On my FJR I didn't care for the oem screen, and went with a Cee Bailey flip that was +2" tall and +3" wide - which was ideal.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #313
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,416
Kawasaki should have never built the KLR 650. The mighty 2011 Ninja 1000 warrior can't shake the genetic pre-disposition to farkle its self.
KLR blood runs thick through all Kawasakis. Thus, a big-ole 56 LED light bulb wonder bar has grown on the Ninja.
No stinkin fender eliminators here! We are all about dorking out the Ninja 1000! I am gonna stick freaking milk crate on the seat for luggage.
Warning! What you are about to see are graphic photos of a wiring nightmare! What a job to snake the lighbar's wiring through the little wasp butt fender extension! Every freakin wire has a special place - gone are the days of big tail sections with tons of room for wiring!
More to come...

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #314
Mikelly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
what kind of price should I expect to pay now a days?

I'm thinking of selling my ZRX and superduke for a ninja 1000 for commute and touring use.
I just traded in an 08FJR1300 for a left over 2011 N1K and got it for $9500. They gave me $7000 trade on the FJR1300 and it needed tires.

hope this gives you a baseline.
Mike
Old 01-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #315
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Why did you cross-post that in both N1k threads?

I've had a few people ask me how the riding position is who haven't taken a close look at the bike. They see the Ninja name and the aggressive stance and assume clip-ons and major lean angle. It's like a Tuono, pretty standard sit-up with just a touch of forward lean.