Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #496
haknslash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
The video has several motor pulls with just slowly rolling in the power and also allowing for engine breaking. Break-in using loads on the engine but don't abuse the bike or stay at a constant RPM or speed

There are parts where I literally laughed in my helmet at the amount of ground this thing covers so quickly with minimal effort. You will see in the video around the 4:10 mark and a little after that hear my giggle like a school girl from it. None of the pulls were even at WOT. Towards the end there is a big hill by my house. The ultimate test on ones bike for torque and one I always measure my bikes with. I put it in 6th and dropped down to 40mph and did a 3/4 roll-on pull to see how cleanly it would pull from the bottom. Amazing strong and clean power from the bike!

What's groovey about the video is that Jimi somehow made the roll-ons go exatly timed with key parts in the jam. I did not intend at all for it to be like that. It just sort of happened like that and I noticed it after watching the final render once it was done. You'll see 8)

Watch in HD to see speedo in relation to RPM and roll-on's

haknslash screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 09:42 PM
haknslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #497
d L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Hey Haknslash - these posts look familiar! lol!

I am also a recent N1K owner - this bike is the best of all worlds to me, exactly what I wanted - I have had 0 regrets selling my 09 DR650 to bring this beauty home
Old 05-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #498
haknslash
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup it is a great bike. However the seat shape where it's kind of pointy where it widens out for your ass creates some pressure points on my ass, or lack there of. I'm hoping the seat will loose a little of it's edge while breaking in but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I'll give it a little while but will probably end up swapping for a Sargent as it looks to be a little wider and more rounded in that area. I like the look of the oem gel seat better though but it looks to still have that edge back there.

Uploaded a HD version and edited the video post.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #499
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
I'm very interested in this bike (Ninja 1000 ABS) and am curious reading a few posts that a big gripe is that the engine kicks out massive heat and its like sitting on a "furnace" especially at low speeds.

Any truth to this?
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #500
haknslash
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE View Post
I'm very interested in this bike (Ninja 1000 ABS) and am curious reading a few posts that a big gripe is that the engine kicks out massive heat and its like sitting on a "furnace" especially at low speeds.

Any truth to this?
The fairing is made to draw the heat out. I was riding in mid 90 F temps yesterday, sitting in traffic, fan kicking on the bike left and right and never had any engine heat issues. The asphalt was another story.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #501
mrphotoman
Banned

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
The video has several motor pulls with just slowly rolling in the power and also allowing for engine breaking. Break-in using loads on the engine but don't abuse the bike or stay at a constant RPM or speed

There are parts where I literally laughed in my helmet at the amount of ground this thing covers so quickly with minimal effort. You will see in the video around the 4:10 mark and a little after that hear my giggle like a school girl from it. None of the pulls were even at WOT. Towards the end there is a big hill by my house. The ultimate test on ones bike for torque and one I always measure my bikes with. I put it in 6th and dropped down to 40mph and did a 3/4 roll-on pull to see how cleanly it would pull from the bottom. Amazing strong and clean power from the bike!

What's groovey about the video is that Jimi somehow made the roll-ons go exatly timed with key parts in the jam. I did not intend at all for it to be like that. It just sort of happened like that and I noticed it after watching the final render once it was done. You'll see 8)

Watch in HD to see speedo in relation to RPM and roll-on's

Can you post up the vid without the terrible music, I would rather hear the bike. I watched a few seconds of the vid but I couldn't take the music so I muted it then just turned it off.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #502
d L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE View Post

Any truth to this?
You want to ride a fire breathing dragon you're gonna feel a little heat!

J/K - it isn't bad. When the fan kicks on you will feel the warmth, but as the previous poster said, I was also riding in 90+ degree weather yesterday and it is fine. Sitting at a stop light you notice the warmth, but it doesn't burn -- wish I could've said the same for my previous ride. I've got a few pairs of pants with burn marks or holes in the ankle due to heat issues
Old 05-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #503
haknslash
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
Can you post up the vid without the terrible music, I would rather hear the bike. I watched a few seconds of the vid but I couldn't take the music so I muted it then just turned it off.
The music was added because I had the wrong rear door on my GoPro housing. I'm workiong on cleaning out the wind noise in Adobe Soundbooth. I'll upload it when its done. It won't be free of the wind noise but it will be a lot better than it was. Sorry you don't like Jimi.

haknslash screwed with this post 05-26-2012 at 09:32 AM
Old 05-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #504
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,029
Wow, just found this thread.

I had a 2010 Z1000 that I bought new in Oct of 2010. I got rid of it about 6 mos ago with about 4000 miles on it.

I loved the bike, but it was too impractical for me. The gas tank was too small (120 mile range doesn't cut it), the footpegs were too high, making the seating position cramped. I even had a custom bar riser made, which helped, but it was still a bit more forward than I would have liked. The worst part was the lack of wind protection. I had an Ermax windscreen but anything bigger would have looked stupid.

I love the Ninja 1000... but I wonder about the seating position with regard to the footpegs. The guy that made my bar riser also made me some footpeg lowering brackets, and while nice, they made it very hard to get the sidestand down because they blocked the little "tab" that sticks out from it.

Now that I've not had the bike for six months, I'm really wanting another bike with more power. My DR650 is fun, but it's not particularly fast, and I loved how smooth the 4-cyl was on the Z1000.

I sat on a 2012 Ninja 1000 at the bike show in Long Beach last December, and I would swear it was even more upright than my Z1000 was with the custom risers. But I do worry about the footpeg position. I would like to do some very long distance touring on it, so I find myself looking at used 2010+ Concours 14's as well. I need to go ride one and see how it does.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #505
haknslash
Gnarly Adventurer

Ordered the R&G Tail Tidy this morning. Comes with the dual LED light pod for tag. A little on the pricey side but gives a MUCHO cleaner than the stock 'wheelie bar' :)

Old 05-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #506
haknslash
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Wow, just found this thread.

I had a 2010 Z1000 that I bought new in Oct of 2010. I got rid of it about 6 mos ago with about 4000 miles on it.

I loved the bike, but it was too impractical for me. The gas tank was too small (120 mile range doesn't cut it), the footpegs were too high, making the seating position cramped. I even had a custom bar riser made, which helped, but it was still a bit more forward than I would have liked. The worst part was the lack of wind protection. I had an Ermax windscreen but anything bigger would have looked stupid.

I love the Ninja 1000... but I wonder about the seating position with regard to the footpegs. The guy that made my bar riser also made me some footpeg lowering brackets, and while nice, they made it very hard to get the sidestand down because they blocked the little "tab" that sticks out from it.

Now that I've not had the bike for six months, I'm really wanting another bike with more power. My DR650 is fun, but it's not particularly fast, and I loved how smooth the 4-cyl was on the Z1000.

I sat on a 2012 Ninja 1000 at the bike show in Long Beach last December, and I would swear it was even more upright than my Z1000 was with the custom risers. But I do worry about the footpeg position. I would like to do some very long distance touring on it, so I find myself looking at used 2010+ Concours 14's as well. I need to go ride one and see how it does.

Rob
This should help see how the bike fits your frame. Cool little gizmo site. http://cycle-ergo.com/

You can compare multiple bikes side by side and change values in bar rise, feet down, seating position, etc.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #507
FirstLight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
The music was added because I had the wrong rear door on my GoPro housing. I'm workiong on cleaning out the wind noise in Adobe Soundbooth. I'll upload it when its done. It won't be free of the wind noise but it will be a lot better than it was. Sorry you don't like Jimi.
What was that white junk on the fender you gave a thumbs down? Thx for the video, love the bike, love Jimi too but I like engine sounds more. :-)
FirstLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #508
mrphotoman
Banned

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Cool, thanks.

Is yours an abs model? how do you like the brakes on it so far? I am torn between the green and the color you went with for mine.

Tip on the gopro, use the open back and cover the holes with a single piece of clear packaging tape= great sound. I can post up a sample clip with that setup to hear if you want.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #509
FirstLight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
I can post up a sample clip with that setup to hear if you want.
Know it wasn't aimed at me, but I'd live to see a video made like this. Trying to help someone out who is new to video.
FirstLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #510
haknslash
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLight View Post
Know it wasn't aimed at me, but I'd live to see a video made like this. Trying to help someone out who is new to video.
It was the "this bike has an emissions control yada yad BS" sticker. I removed it along with all the other warning stickers. Don't like that stuff on my bikes.

Here is the video without music. I tried my best in soundbooth to edit out most of the wind noise. It's 80% better than it was but still not great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZDTT...ature=youtu.be

Gotta remember to swap out the rear gopro housing door next time. Thanks for the tip photoman on the tape. i will try it next time.

Yes my bike has the ABS system. Brakes are great. The rear is taking some time to bed pad/rotor but it's slowly getting better. I'm purposely applying rear brake coming to stops a good bit before applying front brake pressure to help speed up the rear. The front brakes are great. They could use a SS line kit to increase feel but it's not necessary IMHO.

I originally was going to buy the green/black one. They had one sitting at the dealer as opposed to my bike that they had to get brought over form another dealer in-state. Never had a Kawi but always liked that "Kawasaki Team Green". However I'm not 20-something anymore where my bikes were more 'in yo face' back then. So for me I like the stealth factor or 'sano' look so I went with the micron flat scheme. You can't go wrong either way. The N1K is an AMAZING machine. I just logged 100 miles today like it was nothing. Seat is getting better to. That or my ass is getting broke in. Gee, that sounds so wrong on so many levels

haknslash screwed with this post 05-26-2012 at 01:18 PM