Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #76
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Oddometer: 313
What are you getting for mileage and range?
2009 CRF150R
awork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #77
themocksta
Lost in this place

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by awork13 View Post
What are you getting for mileage and range?
The Iphone app I use to track this sez...

Avg MPG 38.17 - Avg Range 119.89 miles

When running it all the way down it has gone into the mid 130 mile range...enough range for me.

"That beaver cowboy hat may not have said anything disrespectful but you have to quarantine it if it starts chewing on the furniture or building a dam in the living room" -jamespowers
themocksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:26 AM   #78
Pica Hudsonia
Super-dupergenius

Oddometer: 143
Ninja 1000/Z1000SX Owners' Thread (or wanna be's)

So yesterday I went to a Kawasaki factory demo event. I took a ride on a Concours 14, a bike I'm considering buying next year. Then, just for the fun of it, I also tried a Versys and a Z1000.

Today I compared notes with a friend who had ridden some of the same bikes. He said I was foolish for not trying out the new Ninja 1000. I didn't take notice of it at the time because anything with "Ninja" in the model name is way off my radar, in the same territory as any CBR or YZF. I know the Ninja 650R is sort of an entry level bike with upright ergos and economical price, but somehow I had the 1000 grouped with the ZX line in my head.

I feel Kawi made a huge marketing blunder in naming this model as they did, and they should have called it the Z1000ST for the American market, similar to its European name. The bike is basically a Z1000 with a full fairing and bigger gas tank, and I feel that designation would more accurately reflect what the bike is meant to do, i.e., sport touring with a heavy emphasis on sport, similar to the new VFR1200. I also wonder how the Ninja moniker will affect insurance rates. Anyway, enough armchair marketing commentary...

I would love some feedback from anyone who owns this model, or even those who've put some miles on one.

I absolutely loved the Z1000, but I need something that will carry a passenger and some luggage. I see Kawi will be offering factory hard saddlebags for the 1000. The bags themselves are the same ones that go on the Versys, and they just have to come up with some mounting racks. I would definitely get this option, and also probably a top case--or at least a passenger backrest--because I want to take my kids with me on some long rides.

Here's why the bike is so interesting to me: it is 200 lbs. lighter and $4000 cheaper than a Concours 14. I think it would be nearly as comfortable, for the driver at least, on anything shorter than a 300 mile day, and would outshine the C14 in heavy traffic and tight parking lots. It might even be easier to maintain. I don't really care for all the electronic gizmos on the C14. It looks like people are complaining about the 1000 not yet coming with ABS in America; even that doesn't bother me, and I certainly don't mind the lack of gimmicky stuff like KiPASS and an electromagnetically locking glove box. To me, these features just seem like unnecessary addition of weight, complexity, and cost. The Ninja 1000 makes its peak horsepower and torque much lower in the rev range than any of the ZX Ninjas... in other words, it has power that's usable on the street.

Like I said, I LOVED the naked Z1000; it was sinfully fun to ride. Calling it a "naked" bike seems ironic (or perfectly appropriate, depending on your point of view), because I think riding it is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I was surprised at how comfortable it is. On the demo route I actually got to work it out a bit and see what that engine will do. My biggest fear is that if I owned anything like it, I would be transformed from a responsible, strait-laced 41 year old husband and father into a wild hooligan, I would get my driver's license revoked in no time, and I might even end up in jail. But it's guaranteed that I would have a blast doing so!

So I really want to know how the Ninja 1000/Z1000SX is for a passenger, if anyone has put luggage on one, and how much your insurance premiums set you back. I love this bike the more I look at it (online and in a brochure I picked up). The styling really appeals to me, the price is right, and my friend tells me it was even smoother than the C14. What can you add?
Pica Hudsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:57 AM   #79
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731

Looked at one pretty hard at the dealership the other day. I will be interested to hear from new owners. Eventually I need to upgrade my long-haul bike (Bandit 1200) and the 1000 Ninja is interesting. The new full-faring Bandit took quite a price jump for 2011.
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #80
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,484
Not bringing the Green and Black ABS model here was a mistake. Naming it a Ninja was a mistake. Be patient and take financial advantage of Kaw's mistake. In a year or so they will be selling cheap.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #81
Pica Hudsonia
Super-dupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Not bringing the Green and Black ABS model here was a mistake.
Agreed.

Quote:
Naming it a Ninja was a mistake.
Right again.

Quote:
Be patient and take financial advantage of Kaw's mistake. In a year or so they will be selling cheap.
That's what I'm hoping for. I won't be ready to buy until next spring anyway, so it could work out well for me. I happen to like the all-black ones and the red on black, and I don't mind having no ABS, but I know many potential buyers will be turned off by the lack of choices offered by Kawi in this first year. Maybe next April I can pick up a 2011 either new or with fewer than 3000 miles on the clock, and pay three grand less than the price of a new '12 ABS model, or 2000 less than the new '11s are marked at now. But I NEED saddlebags and probably a trunk. I'm hoping those won't set me back more than a grand.

One attractive thing about this bike: the sticker price on the new ones right now is only $11,000--- four thou' less than a Concours 14! Even the lightly used FJRs and C14s in my area are going for eight to ten thousand. I don't know why I never noticed this underrated sport tourer before now. I'm still kicking myself for not taking a demo ride when I had the chance, but my friend said it had great ergonomics and was smoother than the C14.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #82
ssregal39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
me too

i'm interested too in any stories or impressions of the ninja 1000. having looked at one today, it seems like it'll be a nice street machine.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #83
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Not bringing the Green and Black ABS model here was a mistake. Naming it a Ninja was a mistake. Be patient and take financial advantage of Kaw's mistake. In a year or so they will be selling cheap.
They're already pretty cheap. For what you are getting anyway.
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #84
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I rode one at a demo event here in Arizona several weeks ago- a very nice bike that (for me, anyways) would fill the gap between full-blown superbike and deluxe touring machine, neither of which I really need.

The insurance premiums were incredibly high on the Ninja 1000- I checked quite a number of places, and have no tickets/accidents, etc. $900/year for full coverage with a $1000.00 deductible was the best I could find. Maybe that will change in a year or two.

I ended up purchasing a Versys, because my wife felt the passenger pegs were way too high on the Ninja 1000- typical of a sport-type bike, I suppose. Versys just felt more comfortable for her as a passenger. So I ride around now with half the cylinders and half the HP.

Much smoother, of course, than the Versys, not so sure about the Concours 14, though. That is one nice touring bike!
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #85
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I've got about 1200 miles on my Ninja 1000 now and I'm quite happy with it. But I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought it.

It's a Z1000 with minor changes. No more, no less. It has another gallon of fuel, little thicker seat, different bars, rubber mounted pegs, more tupperware that offers slightly better protection than a naked bike, and a heavier rear subframe to allow more weight to be carried in the back.

IOW, it's nothing like a Concours 14. It's closer to a sport bike than anything with 'touring' in the label. The riding position is just more neutral than any of the true sport bikes.

If you want something to travel light and do <500 mile days it's great. Especially if there are twisty roads on the trip. The riding position is comfy, the engine is wonderful, it feels lighter than it is, and the handling and brakes are more than adequate for a street bike.

But if you want to load it down with 2 people and a ton of gear, then run long long days I'd look for something else...

Note on the Kawasaki factory luggage - It's expensive and H$LL, well over $1K, and is nothing more than a set Givi 35's with unique brackets. I'd pass. IMO a set of soft bags suit the bike a lot better...

I want to edit this since reading it back it seems a little dry: To make the point - I *really* like this motorcycle. And the more I ride it the more I like it. It's not a large and heavy 'sport touring' bike or an all the power up high, torture rack modern sport bike. It's basically a modern version of the 'sport' bikes of the early 80's like the original GPz's. Since that's exactly what I wanted I couldn't be happier.

JSharp screwed with this post 05-24-2011 at 03:59 PM
JSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #86
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
The insurance premiums were incredibly high on the Ninja 1000- I checked quite a number of places, and have no tickets/accidents, etc. $900/year for full coverage with a $1000.00 deductible was the best I could find. Maybe that will change in a year or two.
They insurance companies have no history on the bike but think it's a Supersport with the ZX1000GBF model designator.

I had quotes from the $309 a year I'm paying for $500 deductible full coverage to about $2200 depending on company. It pays to shop it hard.

JSharp screwed with this post 05-24-2011 at 03:47 PM
JSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #87
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Don't have one, but did have a quick play with one. Great all-around bike. Think a previous-gen VFR800 with a bunch more stonk (but equal or better fuel economy from the mag reports). MCN had high praise for it - really seems a great value.

I'd happily do 1k mile days on one, but then I do 1k mile days on 919s, bandits and my TLS Heck I've done over 600 miles (mostly paved) on my DR250 in a day and very nearly 600 miles (all off road) on my XR650R in a day.

Haven't tried it 2-up, but the passenger accommodations, like most all fun-to-ride bikes these days, look rather poor to me.

IIRC it shares some stuff with the Z1000.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #88
Pica Hudsonia
Super-dupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
I've got about 1200 miles on my Ninja 1000 now and I'm quite happy with it. But I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought it.

It's a Z1000 with minor changes. No more, no less. It has another gallon of fuel, little thicker seat, different bars, rubber mounted pegs, more tupperware that offers slightly better protection than a naked bike, and a heavier rear subframe to allow more weight to be carried in the back.
...and I think all these things fitted to a Z1000 platform make for an almost perfect ride.

Quote:
IOW, it's nothing like a Concours 14. It's closer to a sport bike than anything with 'touring' in the label. The riding position is just more neutral than any of the true sport bikes.
I know it has little in common with a C14. I like the C14 for its competence in a variety of roles, from commuting to canyon carving to long-range touring. It has power to spare, comfortable ergos, and nice styling. What I like about the Ninja (D'Oh!) 1000 is that it's also versatile and capable, and it DOESN'T have traction control and ABS, DOESN'T have an electronically locking glove box, DOESN'T have an electronically adjustable windscreen, and absolutely does not have an unnecessary, overly complex system to hold the key in the ignition switch so I don't have to carry it in my pocket--I just have to carry a microchip fob and hope the computer's brains never get scrambled, totally disabling my ride. No gimmicks. Just a solid, competent, high performance street bike.

Quote:
If you want something to travel light and do <500 mile days it's great. Especially if there are twisty roads on the trip. The riding position is comfy, the engine is wonderful, it feels lighter than it is, and the handling and brakes are more than adequate for a street bike.
That is exactly the impression I get from it, and it might be almost perfect for what I want to do. I ride nearly every day from April through October, commuting during the week and playing in the canyons on Saturdays. Two or three times each summer I go for a 300-500 mile overnight trip, and I plan on going out every year or two on a cross country odyssey--3000+ miles in two weeks.

Quote:
But if you want to load it down with 2 people and a ton of gear, then run long long days I'd look for something else...
That's what I'm afraid of. But my passengers are small, like under 5 ft. and less than 70 lbs. I do like to carry a bunch of stuff sometimes, but maybe we can make some adjustments.

Quote:
Note on the Kawasaki factory luggage - It's expensive and H$LL, well over $1K, and is nothing more than a set Givi 35's with unique brackets. I'd pass. IMO a set of soft bags suit the bike a lot better...
That's the same impression I'm starting to get. I know there are lots of good aftermarket soft bags designed especially for sport bikes. Maybe I can fit everything I need to carry in some smallish saddlebags and a tank bag, with the tent and bedroll tied to the passenger seat when I'm riding solo, and stay in motels when I have a passenger.

Quote:
I want to edit this since reading it back it seems a little dry: To make the point - I *really* like this motorcycle. And the more I ride it the more I like it. It's not a large and heavy 'sport touring' bike or an all the power up high, torture rack modern sport bike. It's basically a modern version of the 'sport' bikes of the early 80's like the original GPz's. Since that's exactly what I wanted I couldn't be happier.
It's really starting to appeal to me as a no-nonsense platform that will handle everything I want to do with a street bike, and most of it very well, with only some small compromises for touring. Plus, I love the styling (I even kinda dig those goofy exhaust tips). And the $11k price tag sits well with my household CFO.

If it's anything like the naked Z1000 in performance and handling, I will love it. After spending 30 minutes on the Z last Saturday, I was giddy. That bike was wicked fun, and the riding position was the only thing about it that didn't work perfectly for me.

Pica Hudsonia screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 12:43 AM
Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #89
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

It *is* a Z1000 with those changes mentioned. If you look at the parts breakdowns there's probably 90% parts commonality. Even some bodywork parts like the rear fender are identical. If you ignore the bodywork it's closer to 99%. So if you liked the Z1000 you'll love it.

The riding position is OK for me and about as radical as I can do these days. I can thank 3 back surgeries for that. The bars are close and high but the pegs are a little high too. That's why I said it wouldn't be a great bike for really long distances. Some people might get along fine.

A 70lb passenger wouldn't be an issue. The seat is not good for my backside but I'm old. I'm waiting to see what the aftermarket comes up with before I spend the $ on something better. Same with the windshield. I'd like a little more coverage but I'm holding out to give the aftermarket time to come up with some choices. I think that'll happen since it appears the bike will be popular.

These are the bags I'll probably end up with -

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5840/

They're not large but they don't leave a bunch of hardware on the bike when you pull them and they're relatively inexpensive.

Right now I have a small tank bag on the bike all the time, and a larger one + a tail bag if I want to haul more.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #90
muguvian
lugrubious

Oddometer: 100
I have had my C14 for 2.5 years now and really love it. But, if I were buying it today there would be no question that I would instead go for the Ninja 1k. I prefer simple over complicated even though I think the execution on the big bike was done very well. Still, I'd be willing to trade.
muguvian is offline   Reply With Quote