Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #106
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
as someone who does what i've come to learn is "supersport touring" i would say that this bike ticks all the boxes...except abs.

while it wouldn't have been a dealbreaker years ago, i already have a ss without abs and the hard bags don't tempt me enough to want to give up my 750.

it would still make my life A LOT easier on trips but because my trips are so infrequent (and about to become a whole lot less frequent) i'm not sold.

funny thing is that people complain about tank range and i can say that at 42mpg i pull about 120mi before the light and have another 40mi until empty (not all the tank capacity is useable, DAMHIK). even so, i'm always ready for a break before the tank is...i don't notice it holding me back. also, with proper stretching and adjusting of my riding position while on the move, there's usually no day after pain.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."

bostonsr screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 08:00 PM
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #107
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,760
The Kawi demo truck was in town today.

I rode the Ninja 1000 (among others) and came away extremely impressed. Ergonomically about perfect once underway (5'10", 180) surprisingly good wind management, motor just pulls from any RPM, stable and neutral (if heavy) steering.

I took the Versys out afterward and had to spend the first 5 minutes recalibrating my expectations. The Ninja 1000 is a seriously competent, well-setup road burner. The lack of ABS and not wanting to chew up those 190 section rear tires will keep me away from it, but I definitely see its place ahead of the FZ1/Bandit options for a more sporting everyday package.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #108
FALCONSEYE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I bought mine on Jun 30rd for $8800+tax. I love it so far. A lot of mid range power, and fits me well ( 6'2, 198lbs). I sit so high that I can see over most SUV roofs.

The heat coming from the engine is sometimes annoying. In city traffic, I can feel my lower legs burning. The adjustable wind screen does not do any good for me. The first and second gears are very zippy. I guess I have to be carefull rolling off the gas. It jerks sometimes.

I'd love to get some tail bags / side bags for this thing. Any suggestions? I don't feel like paying over $1k for givi g35s.
FALCONSEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #109
TechNomad
Roll Me Away

Oddometer: 49
Laugh

Picked my red one up last Saturday. Love it so far.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #110
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
yeah they are nice but i think a ZX9 from 2000-2003 is a better deal.[thats what i got] the 900 motor is the same pretty well [bored zx7 engine] and they are comfortable as a sport tourer and can do 168mph but if you have any bike skills you ride it on the street just like any other bike-just not too loosey goosey with the throttle... the aftermarket is vast as many models inter change like wheels, forks, etc..anyway, sorry to hijack- just like ninjas i guess..
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #111
themocksta
Lost in this place

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pica Hudsonia View Post

Like I said, I LOVED the naked Z1000; it was sinfully fun to ride. Calling it a "naked" bike seems ironic (or perfectly appropriate, depending on your point of view), because I think riding it is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I was surprised at how comfortable it is. On the demo route I actually got to work it out a bit and see what that engine will do. My biggest fear is that if I owned anything like it, I would be transformed from a responsible, strait-laced 41 year old husband and father into a wild hooligan, I would get my driver's license revoked in no time, and I might even end up in jail. But it's guaranteed that I would have a blast doing so!

So I really want to know how the Ninja 1000/Z1000SX is for a passenger, if anyone has put luggage on one, and how much your insurance premiums set you back.
Just got my renewal paperwork for my 2010 Z1000, insurance is 400/yr for full coverage with limits of 100/300 and 1000 deductible for collision/comprehensive. So not too bad...cheaper than the truck

"That beaver cowboy hat may not have said anything disrespectful but you have to quarantine it if it starts chewing on the furniture or building a dam in the living room" -jamespowers
themocksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:53 AM   #112
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 961
I also rode the z1000 at the demo ride last weekend, found it so fun to ride that I went home thinking I would never pay msrp. So I went on craigslist to research used prices and I found that the 2010 is the same bike. I then found a dealer that discounted the bike to 7450.oo brand new.

zDollar Bill screwed with this post 07-15-2011 at 07:29 AM
zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #113
TomZachary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
This last tank was roughly 80% highway 20% city riding with average highway speeds between 65-75mph and I was able to get 162.9 miles when I stopped to fuel. I put 4.14 gallons in equaling 39mpg and putting the max range at 202 miles.

Has anyone completed the 600 mile service yet? What was the cost and what did they do? I'm sitting at 560 miles now and was going to schedule the first service for this week. Also, does anyone know of a supplier that already has hardbag mounts in stock? My dealer has a set on order for another customer and they said it won't be until the end of August when they get his in. I call twistedthrottle.com and they said about the same thing.
TomZachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #114
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,057
if I had the money I would replace the ZRX with a ninja 1000.

if it uses a 190/50 you should be able to use a 180/55 with minor adjustments to the ride height
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #115
TechNomad
Roll Me Away

Oddometer: 49
Only 310 miles on my N1K so far, but I'm finding it easy to live with. Mileage could be better, with 38 MPG on the first full tank.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #116
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
So what has the verdict been on the mpg? 38-40? Anything better?

That seems rather poor to be honest. The engine is not in a wild state of tune like a liter sportbike pushing 150+ hp so I don't understand why the poor mpg. Perhaps the engine needs to be broken in more? Or may be that massive torque curve has a cost?

My 06 CBR 1000 with PC3 & full Arata exhaust used to get 40 mpg on my daily commute. I am now running with the stock exhaust & mpg went up to 42
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #117
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,362
Looked one today. Perfect replacement for the Bandit!!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #118
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
I picked up one 2 weeks ago, loving it so far. A friend sent me this tonight. Ninja 1000 is the 2011 Motorcyclist Magazine bike of the year.

If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #119
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomZachary View Post
This last tank was roughly 80% highway 20% city riding with average highway speeds between 65-75mph and I was able to get 162.9 miles when I stopped to fuel. I put 4.14 gallons in equaling 39mpg and putting the max range at 202 miles.

Has anyone completed the 600 mile service yet? What was the cost and what did they do? I'm sitting at 560 miles now and was going to schedule the first service for this week. Also, does anyone know of a supplier that already has hardbag mounts in stock? My dealer has a set on order for another customer and they said it won't be until the end of August when they get his in. I call twistedthrottle.com and they said about the same thing.
My bike gets 35-38MPG. In 3000 miles it's never been over or under that. Most of my riding is rural roads, 60-80MPH. I ran out of fuel once and it took 5.27 gallons from dry. I had 191 miles on the tank.

Why not do the 600 mile service yourself? It's an oil and filter change plus a bunch of bolt checking. A factory service manual is under $70.

Good luck on the hard bag mounts. It's a lot of $$ and seems to be a long wait for some funky looking Italian plumbing from Givi.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #120
FALCONSEYE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
My first pit stop proved that I got 33.4 mpg. I will have to go get some more gas this afternoon. I hope the mpg will get better.

I am itching for a road trip. I'd love to hear if anybody has some ideas about what kind of side bags / tail bags to get.
FALCONSEYE is offline   Reply With Quote