Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #121
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
MPG has been 32-37 for me, about a 50/50 mix of interstate and stop & go in town.

I'm still undecided on luggage, not that there's much choice of hard luggage at the moment. I got some Nelson Riggs saddlebags cheap from a local rider, but I don't really like the way they look, and they have to sit a little too far forward to keep them off the tail lights.

For now I've just gone back to a cheapo soft tailbag I had, but it doesn't look good or hold much.
If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #122
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I put a Muzzy fender eliminator on my bike.

One of the reasons I chose it was because even though it keeps the stock signals it tucks them in far enough that they shouldn't interfere with soft bags.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #123
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,774
I've been eyeing the new SW Motech / Bags Connection Blaze setup.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5840/805/
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #124
TomZachary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
My bike gets 35-38MPG. In 3000 miles it's never been over or under that. Most of my riding is rural roads, 60-80MPH. I ran out of fuel once and it took 5.27 gallons from dry. I had 191 miles on the tank.

Why not do the 600 mile service yourself? It's an oil and filter change plus a bunch of bolt checking. A factory service manual is under $70.

Good luck on the hard bag mounts. It's a lot of $$ and seems to be a long wait for some funky looking Italian plumbing from Givi.
I had the service done at the local dealer where I bought the bike. For others reference it cost me $124 and is really just for piece of mind. Ensuring that everything is ok after the main break-in period is worth it to me. I'll change my own oil from now on and perform most of the regular maintenance but I've always taken my new bikes in for their first service.

I filled up again and was at 39mpg. I did notice that when I was putting 87-89 octane in, against the recommendation, I was getting the lower mpg. Now that I put 91-93 octane in I'm getting 39-40 mpg even in mostly stop and go and heavy acceleration/speed rides.

I like the Blaze set up too. I called and talked to a rep and they don't have the mounts for the N1K yet. The other concern I have with that setup is the size. If I remember correctly each bag is only 17L expandable to 22L.

As far as luggage goes I'm just going to wait until there are more options readily available. I use my tank bag now and am still looking for a soft tail bag to use for everyday commutes. But as far as the hard luggage goes for the longer trips I'm going to wait for now.

TomZachary screwed with this post 07-30-2011 at 02:02 PM Reason: update info
TomZachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #125
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomZachary View Post
I had the service done at the local dealer where I bought the bike. For others reference it cost me $124 and is really just for piece of mind. Ensuring that everything is ok after the main break-in period is worth it to me. I'll change my own oil from now on and perform most of the regular maintenance but I've always taken my new bikes in for their first service.

I filled up again and was at 39mpg. I did notice that when I was putting 87-89 octane in, against the recommendation, I was getting the lower mpg. Now that I put 91-93 octane in I'm getting 39-40 mpg even in mostly stop and go and heavy acceleration/speed rides.

I like the Blaze set up too. I called and talked to a rep and they don't have the mounts for the N1K yet. The other concern I have with that setup is the size. If I remember correctly each bag is only 17L expandable to 22L.

As far as luggage goes I'm just going to wait until there are more options readily available. I use my tank bag now and am still looking for a soft tail bag to use for everyday commutes. But as far as the hard luggage goes for the longer trips I'm going to wait for now.
You did fine at $124. I've heard of guys getting dinged for $300+ for what amount to minimal work. Sounds like your dealer is OK.

Once you start changing you own make sure you don't pull the filter until you refill the crankcase with the oil. These engines have some issue with airlock on the oil pump and never getting air on both sides of the pump at the same time seems to mitigate this.

I've gone the same route as you on luggage. I have a small tank bag I leave on the bike all the time and a larger one for trips. Plus I have a tail bag I can put on in about 2 minutes. That's getting me by until I decide what to do about saddle bags. I also like the Blaze setup. The bags don't look that large but they'd probably do with the rest of the stuff I have. I don't really go very far anyway so I don't need much storage.

I run 91-94 octane all the time. Filled the bike today and got 35MPG again. I'd love to see 39MPG. Maybe it's me...
Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #126
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 961
Z1000
I got 38.5 mpg during break in, using non-ethanol 91 oct. I think maybe it will get better with steady speeds, but the rpms are on the high side on the freeway. If one wants better mileage, go one tooth up on front sprocket?

Changing the oil, I had no airlock problem. On my other bikes when you remove the oil filter after the plug, I have seen more oil drain out of pan. And I try to get out all the used oil I can.
Attached Images

zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #127
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

My bike is up one tooth on the c/s sprocket. I saw my mileage go down slightly after I changed it. It wasn't a surprise since the speed sensor reads the c/s sprocket RPM and that feeds the ODO. Going up one made my Speedo and ODO read properly and I'm now traveling the actual miles indicated instead of over 6% less than what was shown like I was with the stock setup.

Some bikes seem to have the oil starvation problem after a change and some don't. My hasn't but I never have the engine empty and the filter off at the same time either.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #128
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,431
I got mine last weekend and only have 200 break-in miles logged on it. I rarely buy new bikes, and I have to say that refurbishing my brother's 1980's 900 Ninja really got me excited about looking at the new 1000 Ninja.

I rarely buy new motorcycles, and am a big Buell fan, so I was concerned that the 1000 Ninja would not have enough personality to keep me interested in it. A bike has to excite me when I am riding it, or while I am sipping a beer and just looking at it when its parked. The Ninja does both! The motor feels a lot like the Buell 1125 CR, tons of torque from idle to the sky! My Buell TT is super exciting to ride and a very visceral experience, if not a bit quirky. The Ninja is super capable (like the TT) on rough narrow county roads. It was not phased one bit by cattle guards, pot holes and rough roads, and it flicked through the turns super easy.

The riding position, fairing, motor and handling really sold me on this bike. I wanted a bike that would gobble the miles with utter reliability, no stress, and comfortably. My Buell S3 has a similar riding position and wind protection, but I am tired of wondering if an engine temp sensor is going to fail, muffler bracket breaking, or a belt going south. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Buells, but my 08 KLR 650 sold me on Kawasaki's reliability and performance.
I would have liked better passenger accommodations and a better seat on the Ninja, but then it might not have been quite as sporting a bike. I also like the one piece cast frame with no welds at key points like the swing arm mount. Combined with the body work that attaches without visible fasteners, give the bike a super clean look, very sculpted and seductive! I don't mind the Ninja sticker either as it is a nod to is roots.

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #129
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,774
I test rode one and came away really really impressed. The suspension, ergonomics and wind management would have been enough to win me over, but then there's that MOTOR!

Good thing I don't have the cash right now, but I could see one entering the garage in the future.

Best SPORT-touring bike I've ridden, bar none.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #130
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

I did the first oil change on the Ninja 1000 today.
At 246 miles I put Motul 10-40 non-synthetic with a K&N oil filter.
The original oil filter was a bear to remove, due to not having a small enough oil filter wrench. The K&N filter has a handy hex-head on it and I torqued it to 15 ft lbs and the oil drain plug to 25 ft lbs.

Also, even though I filled the oil filter with some oil before installing it, my oil warning light would not go off. So, I loosened the oil filter till a little oil dribbled out, and tightened it. The oil warning light turned off. Good thing I read about the air lock at the oil filter on the web, or I would have been very perplexed about the oil light staying on!
Cheers!
Alaska Deep Adventure
Old 08-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #131
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
Also, even though I filled the oil filter with some oil before installing it, my oil warning light would not go off. So, I loosened the oil filter till a little oil dribbled out, and tightened it. The oil warning light turned off. Good thing I read about the air lock at the oil filter on the web, or I would have been very perplexed about the oil light staying on!
Cheers!
Yea I saw all of that too about "burping the oil filter" like they talk of and it was not necessary for me. Touched the throttle to just off idle and the light went out. In my opinion that whole thread is silly.

Bald Kirk screwed with this post 08-27-2011 at 07:55 PM
Bald Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #132
1200B
Ride everywhere...

Oddometer: 282
just rode a ninja 1000 and loved it, the only thing i found that was bad was the gauge cluster buzzed a little bit in the mid rpm range.
i think it is the perfect bike for me, i really want a sport bike but i put on a lot of miles and use my bike for pretty much everything so luggage is essencial as well as tank range.
so the ninja 1000 has a 5gal tank, optional kawasaki/givi luggage, it's 500lbs wet, feels and handles like a sports bike, it was very smooth, and it has the really easily adjustable swingarm for chain adjustments.
the power is pretty nice, it's no zx10r (which is the kinda power i would like) but it is more practical. the front will come up very easily in 1st, didn't have much of a chance to get on it any more that that bc it was a guided demo ride...
it seemed a little faster than my modified bandit 1200 but much less brutal, it's just so smooth.
I think im going to pick up a 2012 model when the dealers get them in.
also it looks like it will be much less to insure compared to a full on liter sportbike
Old 08-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #133
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

I got mine last weekend and only have 200 break-in miles logged on it. I rarely buy new bikes, and I have to say that refurbishing my brother's 1980's 900 Ninja really got me excited about looking at the new 1000 Ninja.

I rarely buy new motorcycles, and am a big Buell fan, so I was concerned that the 1000 Ninja would not have enough personality to keep me interested in it. A bike has to excite me when I am riding it, or while I am sipping a beer and just looking at it when its parked. The Ninja does both! The motor feels a lot like the Buell 1125 CR, tons of torque from idle to the sky! My Buell TT is super exciting to ride and a very visceral experience, if not a bit quirky. The Ninja is super capable (like the TT) on rough narrow county roads. It was not phased one bit by cattle guards, pot holes and rough roads, and it flicked through the turns super easy.

The riding position, fairing, motor and handling really sold me on this bike. I wanted a bike that would gobble the miles with utter reliability, no stress, and comfortably. My Buell S3 has a similar riding position and wind protection, but I am tired of wondering if an engine temp sensor is going to fail, muffler bracket breaking, or a belt going south. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Buells, but my 08 KLR 650 sold me on Kawasaki's reliability.
I would have liked better passenger accommodations and a better seat on the Ninja, but then it might not have been quite as sporting a bike. I also like the one piece cast frame with no welds at key points like the swing arm mount. Combined with the body work that attaches without visible fasteners, give the bike a super clean look, very sculpted and seductive! I don't mind the Ninja sticker either as it is a nod to is roots.

Alaska Deep Adventure

RideDualSport.com screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 04:50 PM
Old 08-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #134
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
that is a COOL 900 ninja. great write up on the restoration
Old 08-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #135
withiam
Philogynist

Oddometer: 249
Insurance Costs

What does your insurance company charge for the 2011 Ninja 1000?
In another thread, a poster was stating the premiumns were high due to the Ninja name.
withiam is offline   Reply With Quote