Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #151
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
It looks like glass beads in your bottle there. If it is you can buy glass beads at a sand blast supply house for $50 for a 50 pound bag.
.. I'm gonna have to go get some and compare them .. thanks for the tip .. if that's the case then man o man that'll make changing tires/tubes that much more affordable ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #152
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. I'm gonna have to go get some and compare them .. thanks for the tip .. if that's the case then man o man that'll make changing tires/tubes that much more affordable ..
I balance all my wheels with stick on or spoke weights. Even on my bicycles. I put rim locks on any of my bikes that go off road. The rim locks weigh a few ounces each. I've read on other forums to put the rim lock across from the valve stem on your KLR. DO NOT do that. You want the lock near the valve stem to isolate it to prevent tearing the stem form the tube. The rim lock weighs more than the valve stem. When you balance the wheel the weights will be at or near your valve stem. I chose to mount the rim lock on the wheel just like my KX500 has from the factory. 4 spokes in front of the valve stem. If they can handle that kind of torque it will work for the KLR. The beads sound like a neat idea. It's been around for some time. It's like synthetic oil. I like to use regular oil. It gets changed more often and you see the bad stuff coming out of the engine. Synthetic oil is in the engine so long it seems like it collects impurities longer. I like to see my weights on the wheel. If the wheel feels out of balance I just look at the weights. I like the idea of the beads but you should do a real test. Ride your beaded bike around the block and back to the shop or some where you can get it up to 60mph.. Add 2 spoke weights near your bead lock or valve stem if you don't bead lock. Ride that same course and see if beads even out the out of balance weights. If you give the thumbs up I'll give it a try. I have access to all kinds of glass beads at work. I wonder if bead diameter, what we call grit size, makes a difference? One other thing that you should be aware of. Moisture in the air you use to air up your tire. In our glass bead blasting cabinet moisture will cause a caking of the media. This could happen in your tube and cause an out of balance problem. If your willing to do the test please let us know how it went. Thanks.

Danger4u2 screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 05:44 AM
Danger4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #153
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
Moisture in the air you use to air up your tire. In our glass bead blasting cabinet moisture will cause a caking of the media. This could happen in your tube and cause and out of balance problem.
.. I had not thought about that .. one of the things they mention when I was reading up on these is that they (the Counteract beads) won't do that .. I am gonna guess it's because others have tried using the blasting media ..

.. I'm still gonna have to cut open my tubes when I swap them out and check, but so far nothing but smooth sailing ..

.. the only "real world" test I have done so far is mud .. even with mud on the rims/tires the beads seem to keep everything balanced until I can get to a hose or water crossing ..

.. you do bring up an interesting thought .. they recommend 2oz per tire for the tire sizes on a KLR .. it would be interesting to start putting weights on to see how much weight could overcome (or defeat) the 2oz of balance beads .. hmmmmmmm .. I am sure at some point that can be done, would be good to know at what point though ..
Old 08-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #154
stefer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
What is the "F-reservoir"? Swap with another bike?

Also...really like the TCI Front Rack.

FWIW, the MadStad Engineering Front Fairing Rack is about 40 shipped to your door....http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.118/.f

I was about to buy one when I thought it was 20 dollars....20 dollars of shipping on that is kinda overboard imo. I'd be willing to pay more for that TCI rack however. Looks good and sturdy - madstad rack is rated at max capacity of 3 lbs (why I didn't want to pay 40 for it).

Third comment: These painner bags you have, how long did it take for them to fade this much? I have the same pair.

As for your swing arm caps, I saw this on ebay, but haven't seen them since. They are aluminum...I think stock is plastic...perhaps I am mistaken. Didn't get a bid in on time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ancient Proverb
Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.

stefer screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 10:14 PM Reason: updated post
stefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #155
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,075
Howdy Bill,

Sad to see you still not having any fun with my old KLR. Was just thinking about that bike and thought I'd see what you two have been up to.

Good stuff. Keep on keepin' on,

Randy

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #156
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Great seat cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefer View Post

FWIW, the MadStad Engineering Front Fairing Rack is about 40 shipped to your door....http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.118/.f

I was about to buy one when I thought it was 20 dollars....20 dollars of shipping on that is kinda overboard imo. I'd be willing to pay more for that TCI rack however. Looks good and sturdy - madstad rack is rated at max capacity of 3 lbs (why I didn't want to pay 40 for it).

Third comment: These painner bags you have, how long did it take for them to fade this much? I have the same pair.

As for your swing arm caps, I saw this on ebay, but haven't seen them since. They are aluminum...I think stock is plastic...perhaps I am mistaken. Didn't get a bid in on time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc

Hey Bill,
look forward to seeing you next weekend, just had to stop in and say how much I like the Dr. Suess seat cover you got there. God bless and best regards, Ken
BigWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #157
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Howdy Bill,

Sad to see you still not having any fun with my old KLR. Was just thinking about that bike and thought I'd see what you two have been up to.

Good stuff. Keep on keepin' on,

Randy
Hey Randy .. good to hear from you man .. still lovin' me some KLR-Juice .. lol .. getting ready to head to Nantahala (Wha Da Hala Rally) next weekend and planning a ride up through VA (Hwy 16) ..

.. One of these days I'll catch up with you at one of the Rallys .. maybe Eastern Rendevous .. until then I'll keep lovin' every minute on this bike ..

Ride Blessed ..

Bill
Old 08-31-2012, 11:54 PM   #158
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWrench View Post
Hey Bill,
look forward to seeing you next weekend, just had to stop in and say how much I like the Dr. Suess seat cover you got there. God bless and best regards, Ken
Hey Ken .. looking forward to seeing you too brother .. lol .. that seat cover is a beach towel I umm .. liberated .. yeah .. that's it .. from the Atlantis Resorts back many many years ago when I was an electrician helping to build the place .. me and that towel have traveled a LOT of miles (very loose Douglas Adams reference there .. hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy) ..

.. Ride Blessed Brother ..

Bill
Old 09-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #159
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefer View Post

Hey Stefer .. didn't mean to be rude and not reply sooner .. somehow I missed the post ..

The "F-reservoir" is made by one of the companies that makes the kit for the larger front rotor and a new twin-pot front brake caliper .. it's a larger capacity reservoir ..

FWIW, the MadStad Engineering Front Fairing Rack is about 40 shipped to your door....

.. that Madstad rack is pretty darn kewl .. I went with the TCI because I was planning all along to go with the larger windscreen too .. this rack is designed to work with the brackets and windscreen .. I took it off because it was vibrating to much, but will be putting it back on again soon ..

.. less than a year .. but my bike is outside 24/7 and suffers for it in the fade department .. if I was smart enough to use a cover I'd be looking much better .. lol .. I have actually replaced the tank panniers with hard boxes (small ammo cans) that I will be putting to the test next weekend .. if my knees get torn up then I am going back to tank panniers .. lol ..

.. I actually scored that set along with a box of tear-down bolts and nuts from a local guy I met by chance .. he was scrapping his KLR .. tried to talk him into making me a deal but he was dead-set on scrapping the bike .. anyway .. I walked away with that box of parts for about $25.00 .. don't know if I'll ever score another deal like that again .. (edit) .. the stock set is aluminum .. the eBay set is also aluminum and have been working perfectly .. I swapped out the stock bolts for nylock nuts and a small washer and hope to never have that happen again ..

Ride Blessed .. hope to meet you sometime ..
Old 09-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #160
stefer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Thanks reverend! Always looking for a fun way to upgrade the klr. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ancient Proverb
Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.
stefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #161
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Ammo Cans ..

Ammo Cans.. make (really) decent hard panniers .. and hard "tank" panniers as well .. unless you are over about 6' or have an inseam longer than 33" ..

Since I was out adding some stickers back onto the bike I thought I'd add a little update of some of the tom-foolery I have been up to with the KLR ..

I added these boxes because my knees sit right against the crash bars and that had me worried in case I ever front-ended anyone/anything and drove me knee into that bar .. already had one knee surgery many years ago and would love to avoid another if at all possible .. I noticed this past spring while I was death-gripping the tank with my knees that I kept hitting that crash bar when going over obstacles ..

.. so .. in search of a flatter (though not softer without my knee pads on) surface for my knee to bang into ..

.. I picked up a set of these small ammo cans and began playing around ..

.. front 3/4 angle shot .. interestingly these little ammo cans act like a larger fairing .. really keep the weather off my legs ..

.. and though it's tough to tell from these angles .. when I slide back on the seat I can still reach the highway pegs without banging my shins .. really comfy ..

.. and the obligatory sticker(s) shots ..

.. she's got 24.5K miles on her now and still running like a top .. I'll be swapping out the rear tire and changing the oil before heading over to Nantahala for the Wha-Da-Hala Weekend at Joe's ..

I should probably start giving some strong consideration to checking the valve clearances sometime soon ..

.. man I love this bike ..
Old 09-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #162
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456

Just throwin it out there bill

Bikes lookin good.

Btw, every time I see a shot of those 4 tool tubes I always picture an A-10. Are you sure those aren't rocket pods? Umbrella corp, zombie response team - I wouldn't bet against it....
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #163
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
oh, and mine went from 15k to 40k without a valve adjustment - still in spec. On the bubble, but still in spec.
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #164
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

LOL .. awesome .. love that shot of the truck ..

.. and I ain't saying what's in the pods .. heh heh ..

.. good to hear about the valve check .. I'm not really stressing over it, but I'm probably gonna do it sometime sooner rather than later .. when I did the doo I replaced the doo but not the spring .. so I want to get that cleared up also .. might as well do it all in one shot (and oil change since I use that high-falootin' fancy-schmancy stuff) ..

EDIT .. I was actually contemplating an A-10 Warthog paint scheme at one time .. hmmmmmmmmmmm ..
Old 09-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #165
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. little update ..

.. back from the Wha-Da-Hala Rally ... had a GREAT time (thanks Joe and the rest of you hooligans) ..

.. the forward boxes mounted up on the crash bars work great .. until you are all stretched out with you feet out on the highway pegs and slam on the brakes .. lol .. sliding forward will get you a "barked" shin .. drawing a little blood .. they don't trap my leg though (that would be an instant deal-breaker) .. so time to buy some decent kneepad/shin guards combo .. more gear .. YAY!!!!

.. and a word on worn out rear brake pads .. lol .. DOH .. they finally wore through and said "forget it" while going down Billy Top and Snow Creek .. lol .. fun times ! ! ! .. fwiw, the outside pad was/is completely shot and the inside pad still had a little meat on it but wasn't grabbing for anything .. and of course, the new pads I had already ordered (but didn't get here in time to change before leaving) were sitting here for me when I got home .. lol ..

.. while I was at it I went ahead and swappped out the fronts since I did have a new set already .. and yes .. carrying the old fronts now and will be getting another set of rear pads to carry as well ..

.. yeah .. that's why I have all those boxes .. lol ..

.. remind me later to post up the video of me on my fully loaded KLR running Hwy 80 from the BRP to Marion without a rear brake .. yeah .. I'm THAT kinda idiot .. great road .. I'll be back .. with a rear brake next time .. lol ..

RevBill screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 08:23 AM