Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 04:34 AM   #16
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,105
.. lol ..

.. we are .. sans mobile home ..

.. that poor ole porch never gets the attention it deserves .. right now one side is a depository for toys (enough for the whole neighborhood) and "baby stuff" .. and the other side for the (lingering-never-quite-done) home remodeling projects ..

.. it's sad really, the rest of the neighborhood is quite nice ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:49 AM   #17
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
Those KLR's just seem to run forever. I've seen more KLRs headed south thru Mexico to unknown parts than any other.
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

GPS and Dash Pic ..

.. very bad angle .. in reality you can clearly see the gages and idiot lights with no obstruction ..

.. the dash has signal indicators at the extreme left and right, USB power source with on/off and LED indicator, Powerlet 12V with on/off and LED indicator, Headlight Killer with on/off and LED indicators for off and on status .. and some extra room on the right for the temp/clock/timer gauge I'll also be adding ..

.. none of it is wired up yet, but I have some time off coming up and wanted to check the fit and get the last of the materials I need for the re-wire .. the last few items (like weather resistant cord penetrations and the RAM locking knobs) are on the way .. still need to pick out the aux. lights (LED) and get the rest of the electronics I need for the running light mod ..

.. and yes .. I am loving the KLR .. still learning about her .. things like .. the 4.6 gallons (about 213 miles) before you have to tilt the bike over to get to the last gallon-and-a-half of gas out of the right side of the tank AND how that eerily coincides with the reserve on the petcock .. almost like it was planned in case you left your reserve on .. hmm .. I wonder ..
Old 05-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
ggoytia
Mobile Fatso

Oddometer: 184
Question You got a PM

RevBill I got a left field question if you could please reply to the pm.
Thank Bud!
ggoytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #20
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. some thoughts ..

I had a guy ask me about my bike today v my size .. cause I ain't petite and even though the bulk of my riding life prior to now has been Std (Honda CB550 and 750) or a Cruiser (Suzuki VL800 Volusia) it is kinda different to move "down" to a 650 in some peoples minds .. and I even had some trepidation myself, I mean, seriously, when I picked up the KLR I weighed in at about 336lbs .. not small ..

.. so here was my reply .. let me know what you guys/gals with some longer teeth on the KLR think .. tell me if I am wrong or am suffering from some stinkin' thinkin' ..

.. and so .. my reply ..

Good questions all .. no worries .. I have never been petite nor shy about my size .. you're good .. I may even post up my reply on my thread .. here's my seriously long-winded reply ..

.. Keep in mind, I am still learning the KLR myself, but I have met bigger riders than either of us on them too .. so you are in no danger there .. once you set the sag on your suspension you will find the KLR as stable as any bike that tall ..

.. now .. "that tall" .. I also ride a cruiser, and the KLR is NOT in any way a cruiser, but for all of the right reasons .. the biggest adjustment is riding position .. it is top heavy by comparison, but the rake makes the bike much more responsive anyway .. you also need to sit close to the tank (very counter-intuitive for the cruiser-crowd) and that will also lessen your "inseam requirement" .. which is a very easy fix .. you can pick up a used Corbin Dished Saddle (other manufacturers also available) and that will drop you about 2-3" .. and you can pick up lowering links and both a side and center stand that is made for the shorter links as well .. that will solve all of your inseam problems .. I only have a 33-34 inseam at 6' .. little hint, you will absolutely always mount from the left and you will quickly learn to lift your leg and grab your pants cuff and "help" your foot over the saddle .. it's not as awkward as it sounds and is pretty much required for anyone other than Chuck Norris (high kicks), especially when your tail rack is loaded two feet high with gear ..

.. you can spend a fortune on the suspension if you want, but you don't need to .. chances are you won't be competing in the x-games, so you don't need to go nuts right away, if at all .. you can upgrade the rear shock for about 500-700 dollars .. and the front will run you about $150.00 IF (big if) you think you need to .. when I got the KLR I weighed in at 336lbs .. I'm losing weight now though and am down to 285 (or so) .. I also carry a ton of tools, but generally go pretty light on camping gear (oddly enough) .. just crank up the load on the rear shock and if you still need a tad more you can get a progressive spring for the stocker, or for about $200 bucks and a little research you can buy a slightly better one that is a take-off from a military/USMC bike that is rated at something like 550-600lbs (that's my plan btw) .. for the front you just add some (and this is no joke) pieces of 3/4 schedule 40 PVC pipe (from Lowe's or Home Depot) to adjust the sag on the front forks, combined with some fresh #10-weight fork oil and a fork brace .. you will dramatically improve the front end and can remove most of the front end "dive" from hard breaking with a big guys like us on board .. you can also buy a set of the Ricor Intiminators that are reported to greatly help out also .. and I am leaning torward a pari of those eventually as well (but you have to use #5 fork oil with them) .. I have "hit bottom" on my rear shock once catching air off a hill .. but that's because I was sitting the saddle when I landed instead of standing the pegs a little to absorb some of the landing .. didn't hurt the bike one bit ...

.. engine .. unless you got a dog to start with, you can't break it .. I bought mine with 15,700 miles on it and in the past month have already racked up 2000 more .. on trails and over whoop-dee-doos and at 80-85mph on I-40 (which is about full throttle for us big guys) only stopping to fill up the tank every 200 miles .. it's bullet-proof .. and even if you got a dog, there are literally hundreds of after-market sources for rebuilds and Snitz Racing makes an awesome and bullet-proof 685 upgrade/rebuild kit that is almost stupid-affordable .. I plan on upgrading mine even though I don't really need to .. and yes, it will pull a wheely with someone "our size" even without the 685 kit .. and no, I didn't intend to pull a wheely when I did .. lol .. I was trying to merge into traffic .. honest ..

.. after-market "farkles" .. I went with just about everything from Twisted Throttle (SW Motech) .. Happy Trails also has a full line of bolt-ons .. and then the list gets really long for all of the other gear out there for the KLR .. seriously, its amazing how many sources there are ..

.. web support is just as crazy .. seek and ye shall find is just no joke .. and videos to show you how as well .. I've owned a few bikes, never had one with the availability for tech support that is so thorough and so world-wide .. pick a continent and you can find a huge support base and parts, and usually local riders that are also here or on the KLR650 site .. it's pretty damned amazing really ..

.. I spent about three years really digging into KLRs and V-Stroms .. for me the KLR won strictly because my wife prefers the cruiser to ride two-up and there would have been to much over-lap with the V-Strom ..

.. I am also planning a south of the boarder run in the next two years or so .. and I plan on taking this KLR for the trip .. this year is buying the bike and the bolt-ons ... next year I am going to max out the suspension (maybe, I'm really getting pretty happy with a little "spongy" for the service roads and paved roads .. not so sure I want a full-time trail-ready knock-your-teeth-out suspension under my arse for 500+ mile days .. if I don't get crazy ($1000-1500 for the "full monte") on the suspension I may go ahead with the 685 kit (approx. $800-1000 including the motor-work) ..

.. hope some of that helps and I didn't put you to sleep .. lol ..

Ride Blessed,

Bill

RevBill screwed with this post 05-31-2011 at 05:01 PM
Old 05-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #21
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. btw .. that fuel issue I have been having ..

.. anyone chime in here ..

I did some reading and found out that gas issue may be related to the tank vents in the fuel cap .. would never have thought of that .. anyway .. read an old info-gram posted up at KLRWorld (I think it was posted by the late KLRCary) that describes exactly what I am running into with my bike .. and it is dead-bang set on 200-213 miles and I need gas with another 1.5 in the tank .. grrrrrr .. so far I have leaned her over and gotten the gas to get to a station, but dangit "that just ain't right" ..

RevBill screwed with this post 05-31-2011 at 05:04 PM
Old 05-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #22
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. hey ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoytia View Post
RevBill I got a left field question if you could please reply to the pm.
Thank Bud!
.. I sent you a reply there .. hope it's what you were asking about .. let me if I got it right or not .. lol ..
Old 05-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #23
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. some stuff from today ..

.. never fails .. I start getting ready to go out for the day and ride and the wife pops up with "I need to do a little shopping" .. so off she goes and me and my two favorite mechanics set about to having a little wrench session ..

.. another shot of the Dash ..

.. couple more of the RAM mounts and GPS holders ..

.. and the JNS Engineering Tail Rack ..

.. yeah .. about that tail rack .. some moron (meaning me) decided to cross-thread one of the 6mm screws .. ahem .. luckily the middle right side and not one of the corner mounts .. so .. after the ez-out failed it got drilled out and a 6mm put all the way through with a safety/locking nut .. grrrrr ..

.. may have to wander out tonight though .. just reset the headlight to actually shine on the road when my fanny sits on the bike .. lol .. the PO was much slimmer than me ..
Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #24
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

RAM locking knobs ..

.. I'll punch up some pics later ..

.. they arrived in the mail .. they are huge and rattle when set to "spin" .. not sure I'll be keeping them or I am going to find a way to quiet them down (rattle) .. kinda annoying really ..
Old 06-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #25
ggoytia
Mobile Fatso

Oddometer: 184
Yes Sir!
Thank you very much for all the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. I sent you a reply there .. hope it's what you were asking about .. let me if I got it right or not .. lol ..
ggoytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #26
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. another shot of the Dash ..

Sweet dash.

Here is some more fun with LED's, just some 3mm whites. I wanted to move the plate I've seen the rear knobby rip the plate right off from the stock location when bottomed out.

Bike is looking good, green is the second best color for a bike. Orange is the best.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #27
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Hey Tee ..

.. kewl work with the tail light .. great idea .. I went with two of those little LED light/bolts .. man they are stoutly-built .. I may have just gotten lucky on the set I ordered, but they are powder-coated steel ..

.. I also got a "fun" frame for the tag too .. I'll post up pics when it all gets installed ..

.. I still don't have the dash wired in, waiting on some parts and still need to order some others and then I'll rip into her and get it all set up .. thanks again btw for all of your work before you shipped it ..

RevBill screwed with this post 07-29-2011 at 07:16 PM
Old 06-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #28
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Fork Brace ..

.. got this on the other day .. just another Happy Trails Fork Brace, but it's on my bike .. lol ..

.. got an e-mail telling me that the rear side racks are on the way .. meaning I now have to get my fanny in gear and get me some side cases .. mermites are my desire .. looking forward to getting that project cranked up and done soon ..
Old 06-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #29
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. done did the doo .. and got shocked ..

.. just dropped in to catch the news and cool off .. after mowing the lawn this morning and surfing around the site I set out to do some work on the KLR ..

Probably the most important thing I need to get done was the rear shock .. about two weeks ago I noticed the rear getting a little spongier that stock .. and then downright bouncy .. yep .. rear shock had crapped out, blew a seal and the oil was all over the place .. so .. USMC rebuilt rear shock is now on and doing duty .. no more dangerous bouncy-bouncy-bouncy-bouncy .. will set up the sag and reset the chain tension tomorrow .. and take her for a stroll .. I'll post us a few snaps when I get a chance too .. it's got a progressive spring wound at 550-600 pounds according to the sticker in the spring .. really looking forward to see how this one sorts out ..

Also got the Doo Done today .. I was really pleased to see such a clean-clean-clean interior on the motor .. the stock doo was still intact and the stock spring looked brand new as well .. so I changed out the doo and left the stock spring alone .. I'll be in there again at some point and will check that spring then .. already have a replacement if I need it .. lol ..

.. will also be making the switch over the AmsOil this evening as well .. had already switched over to synthetic with the last oil change .. now we are just going to step it up a notch and see how the KLR likes it ..
Old 06-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #30
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
Hey Bill,
Congrats on the KLR, I've enjoyed mine alot over the past few years. A couple of thoughs for you on set up:

a) It's critical that it is sprung, front and rear, for the total weight of rider, gear, and bike. Lots of pre load may minimize wallowing but will make it harsh on small bumps. I really like the progressive springs in the front. While you're at it make sure the front end is properly aligned and so forth.

b) The less weight up high the easier the bike is to handle at slow speeds or on rougher dirt roads. I find the more stuff I remove the better the bike feels.

c) I found the engine really came to life with a richer mid-range, a thermo Bob ( it's cold around here and this helps keep the engine at the proper running temp ), a better pipe, and I geared it down 7% with a larger rear sproket. Huge difference. I'd do that stuff before going for a bigger piston and then see if you think you still need it.

Anyhow, best of luck. I included a pic of my rat for reference. Not pretty but very functional.

blues is online now   Reply With Quote