Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #31
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
.. thanks for that .. I had not considered the rear sprocket up-size .. that's a very good tip and I will give that a whirl ..

.. and man I agree these suckers are top-heavy by comparison to my cruiser with it's 24" seat height .. lol ..

.. I am really reading up on sag these days .. something that just really never was much of a concern with my cruiser (and lack of education on the fact too) .. I've had the pleasure of suffering an over-abundance of pre-load and don't care to repeat it ..

I'm a big guy and tend to carry tons of stuff .. that's why I went with that USMC rear shock as a cheaper alternative to dropping the $500-$600 or more bucks into one of those "designed for your weight" rear shocks .. at least not right away .. lol .. I'll be using every bit of that 550-600 lbs progressive rear shock right out of the gate, and I'm already over the ideal range with gear or two-up, but that's not new, just more critical with the KLR I am finding ..

I'm a ton closer than that stock shock now .. but from everything I read I will be looking at that Cogent shock or talking to one of the guys that custom rebuilds stock shocks to see if it can be rebuilt to handle my weight range ..

.. man, that cruiser sure ain't as fussy about suspension, but it ain't doing what this bike was bought for either .. and this dang KLR is going to have me re-thinking that cruiser's suspension as well .. lol .. expensive knowledge, but safety first ..

.. thanks for your reply .. I appreciate the input and the assistance .. I'm definitely a KLR-rookie ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #32
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 694
I fully expected to see a pic of citizen toxie from the title name.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #33
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

rofl ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
I fully expected to see a pic of citizen toxie from the title name.

.. HEY ! ! ! .. dammit .. that's my yearbook photo ..

.. which one of you inmates did that??
Old 06-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #34
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. well .. an interesting few days ..

New rear tire .. gave me fits .. finally managed to get it set up and holding air .. yeesh ..

Did the Doo .. even though the stock one was just fine .. side-by-side with Eagle Mike's the stocker looks every bit the whimp .. so it got swapped out .. here's the stocker still in the side ..

.. and a new rear shock .. progressive 550-600# according to the labels .. I am told it is a USMC rear shock that has been re-built .. immediate difference .. still getting it dialed in ..

.. and the bottom end of the stock blown rear shock ..
Old 07-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #35
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Mermite Panniers ..

Getting ready to (finally) get this project off the ground and built .. I "scored" some cans off e-bay for about $40.00 each a while back .. one was missing a gasket, solved that problem today ..

Source for Mermite Can primary gaskets - http://www.omahas.com/index.php?cPat...14rju7p55cbmb1

.. there's already a couple of Mermite Pannier threads so I won't be starting another .. but I will be posting up some progress reports over the next couple of weeks ..
Old 07-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #36
derrickb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Thanks for sharing. As a DRZ400 owner who's soon to be a KLR owner, this has been an interesting read.
derrickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #37
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. thanks ..

.. thanks Derrick ..

.. this thread may just be documenting the "KLR Follies" .. but I'm enjoying it greatly and slowly adding on everything I think I need, and a bunch of gear I don't just because I think it looks kewl and adds to the "theme" (whatever that may turn out to be in the end) ..

.. I'm also prepping her for some longer and more serious adventure rides coming up in the next few years .. my goal being South America and the rest of the US before I hit 60 (I'm pushing 50 real hard now) ..

.. in fact, for my 50th B-Day I'm taking a few days and running the length of the BRP up to Skyline Drive and then wandering back down to NC/home along as much dirt as I can find .. just as a warm up and a good assessment for what I will have done by this coming March 2012 ..

.. feel free to make comments of challenge my decisions .. I enjoy a discerning voice ..

I'm listing all of the sources for the parts on the first post and I will also be going back and adding the costs (since I have kept all of the receipts so far) .. now all I will have to do is keep the wife from ever reading that first post ..
Old 07-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #38
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. a little more bolting on and replacing parts today ..

.. had me a little time after work this evening .. so on went some more parts I had been gathering ..

.. da parts .. JNS Fender Brace .. JNS Side Stand foot pad .. Happy Tails Billet Master Cylinder Mount/Guard .. TCI Products Rear Master Cylinder Wrap/Guard ..and some spiffy axel pins to replace the cotter pins ..

.. so first up was the rear master cylinder mount and guard .. (edit on 8-10-11) .. I like that billet guard/mount .. it also protects the bottom of the brak lever too .. something I had over-looked before I installed it .. I originally posted that it may be redundant due to the center stand now being there to block any incoming trouble, but in reality it does provide some extra protection ..

.. and then the Fender Brace .. JNS apparently just started making these .. I had been holding out for an old Acerbis one since they stopped making them .. and good ole JNS came along and took up the slack .. thanks JNS .. as usual it's a good solid piece of work, just like your rear rack .. I shouild have taken a pic of it on the fender before I re-mounted everything .. it is solid and wraps the back side too .. generous coverage of the four mounting holes .. really is a good solid piece of work and I will be "slab testing" it tomorrow .. I have no doubts the front fender ain't gonna be flapping in the breeze anymore .. btw .. they include all the hardware with this brace, including four new mounting bolts (though I re-used the originals) .. they even send a small spacer for the one gap between the fender and brace .. very well thought out and planned/built brace .. good job guys ..

.. this pic does these little gems no justice .. guy on eBay sells them .. they wrap the axle bolts and hold very tight .. good stuff ..

.. just another shot of the master cylinder guards installed .. good stuff ..

.. have not drilled the hole and installed the side stand foot pad .. another JNS Product .. I'll get it drilled and installed tomorrow and post up a snap of it too ..

.. need to get started on installing the rear racks and get the Mermites Built .. have a little road trip coming up in August to see my cousin before he ships out to Germany for three years .. need to start pricing shipping fees for my bike to Germany too .. heh heh ..

RevBill screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 08:23 AM
Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #39
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Well here we go .. racks ..

In prep for the rack, and (eventually) panniers I took down the rear end and did some re-wiring .. and ran into a little problem/conflict with the JNS Tail Rack and not having enough room for top-load panniers .. looks like I'll have to sort out either finding a local shop with a good break to bend each side of the JNS Tail Rack up to allow room, or mount the Mermites that I plan on using on some stock to space them out another two inches .. anyway .. on with the pics ..

Added some LED running lights to the rear signals .. they also function as additional brake lights .. and added a cute plate frame that has a scrolling message that you can program in, and it also acts as an additional brake light as well .. so this fanny shows up a little better at night and adds a little more warning lighting to be ignored by the cagers .. but ya gotta try ..

.. with a flash shot ..

and without the flash .. a little more light .. that's without the brake lights on btw ..

.. and tucked away some 12V power up under the rear for some convenience ..

.. and then finished installing the racks from Twisted Throttle .. I'm not sure how much I am going to like these after a spill or two as I just don't know how they are going to hold up .. four "locks" hold the racks onto the mounting points .. very convenient to take the panniers off with the racks for some trails and fire roads, but I'm just not sold on the strength of those bolts, but we'll hopefully never find out (yeah, right) ..

(edit on 8-10-11) BTW ... it bears mentioning .. if you are ever going to mount some of these rear rack systems you will need the bit of inner (black) fender where the tag is usually mounted .. if you buy a bike that has had this part trimmed off (or if you are thinking about trimming it and may need it later) you will want to start watching eBay for a new inner fender .. this won't matter much for the guys who are trimming off all the bits and pieces in the eternal search for less weight (yeah, you gram-weenies, I'm talking to you) ..

My Bike as she looks today .. sexy green thing that she is ..

Here you can see the four large "bolts" that hold the rack on at the mounting points .. pretty kewl idea really ..

.. and tail shot .. sexy ..

.. so we'll see how the LED kit holds up too .. but the bike is starting to come together with all the odds and ends .. I'll be making a little road trip this next week down to Jacksonville, FL by way of the coast for some sight-seeing to visit with family, well, mainly to visit with my cousin and his family before he ships out on a three-year tour to Germany, but what a great opportunity to see how this gear is starting to sort out ..

RevBill screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 09:10 AM
Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #40
Wirewiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Question

Rev your mods look great, thanks for the pics and detail. As a recent 2006 purchaser I am trying to reduce my learning curve, will be interested to here feed back when you upgrade your brakes... I do have one question though.

Did you notice much change after you installed the fork brace?
Wirewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #41
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. good question ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewiz View Post
Rev your mods look great, thanks for the pics and detail. As a recent 2006 purchaser I am trying to reduce my learning curve, will be interested to here feed back when you upgrade your brakes... I do have one question though.

Did you notice much change after you installed the fork brace?
.. a little more road-friendly behavior/stability .. a little less "slop" on the service roads .. I am told that trails will actually be worse, but I don't ride that much on single track, and when I do I'm not tearing it up ..

.. I do need to rebuild/upgrade the front forks .. I'm a big guy and on hard braking the front still dives, which can be a real problem .. the fork brace does seem to make a very big difference here too .. the front will stay pointed, rather than trying to get sloppy ..

.. over-all I think the fork brace is a good upgrade .. just make sure you're up on a stand/jack or tipped back on a center stand to unload the front and check for square before you tighten everything up .. and if you take any hard hits make sure to loosen everything up and re-set the brace .. that's advice I was given and I have followed it .. makes sense though, as it is possible to move the forks around on hard trails/dips/jumps no matter how tight they are ..

I would buy the Eagle Mike's brace next time though .. it comes already tapped for the "Low Fender" mod .. if you're not going to go that route the Happy Trails one is great ..

I have not heard anything good or bad about the billet ones that are on eBay, but I did notice they do not have the "lip" for your fork covers milled into them like the Happy Trails and Eagle Mike's braces do ..

.. lol .. that's my $0.02 .. hope it helps ..
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #42
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Something I forgot to mention ..

I meant to post something about this the other day .. and forgot to .. the question about the fork brace reminded me ..

I got two different rear Master Cylinder Covers for my KLR .. one from Twisted Throttle and then one from TCI Products because I didn't like the look and install features of the Twisted Throttle one .. here's a side-by-side ..

Twisted Throttle one on the left .. TCI Products installed ..

I was really looking for that Mil-Spec look .. and the Twisted Throttle one didn't really match up to that .. and, more importantly to me, when it's mounted it lays directly on top of the Master Cylinder .. so anything making impact is going to directly transfer all that energy to the unit .. and it mounts on top on the bolts, just seems to me that when it gets hit there is more leverage to break those bolts ..

The TCI Products one ..

One point of direct contact is right at the very top of the mount .. not perfect and the top hole could be en-longated for those with the skills and tools to do so and that would allow you to slide the whole unit up to clear the top of the Master Cylinder, though it would then block the banjo bolt (not really a big deal as you can just loosen it and slide it back down it you are working on the brakes) .. but it does allow for more of a "crumple-zone" .. and I like that ..

It also mounts under the Master Cylinder between the Billet Mount/spacer and the Master Cylinder itself (less leverage on the bolts) .. and wraps the entire unit .. and it has that Mil-Spec look I am going for ..

.. I'll be posting that Twisted Throttle one up (eventually) for sale .. along with some other KLR gear I have gotten duplicates of or just don't want to keep ..

.. The Twisted Throttle guard is a good unit for a cleaner "street" look and does match the silver frame pretty darn well .. it's just not my style I guess ..

.. thought I'd share .. hope it helps ..
Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #43
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Another Update ..

.. apparently a few years ago Acerbis stopped making a fender brace for the KLR .. and thankfully JNS recently stepped up and made some .. thanks JNS .. it's a well-made product (as all of your gear has been) .. I didn't take many pics when I went to install it, and completely forgot to take any of it on the fender before I installed it .. (edit .. I came and stuck some pics in that show the brace .. edit)

JNS includes some nice hardware .. including an aluminum spacer needed for the fender and replacement mounting bolts .. I am assuming for another type of install as the stock bolts work just fine .. maybe for a low-fender mod as they also include nylock nuts for both the small fender bolts and the replacement mounting bolts .. those replacement bolts and nylock nuts do come in very handy to hold everything in place while you drill the holes for the fender bolts .. maybe that's what they are for in the first place .. who knows?? .. it's rare that any company goes the extra few pennies to make life easier, but I'm betting JNS is spot-on with this one .. anyway .. some pics ..

.. the last one is a repeat .. now that I have bombed down the highway for a couple of weeks with it installed I can add that I am happy with the Fender Brace .. the front has lost a little more of it's high-speed wobble .. though it does still feel a little "twitchy" .. even with the Fork Brace was installed previously .. the front is WAY better than when I ran it stock .. seriously better .. at about 80mph (indicated) the front USED TO get pretty scary sometimes, especially in a cross breeze or headwind .. now it's no big deal .. and it may be just because of my "cruiser origins" that I notice the front end being so "responsive" or "twitchy" for lack of a better term(s) .. but it certainly doesn't feel unsafe like it did previously .. even with a weekends worth of camping gear on back .. and all the tools I usually haul around .. I really need to build that tool tube for the front undercarriage .. hmm .. off today .. maybe a trip to the home improvement store is in order ..

RevBill screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 03:32 PM
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #44
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
good lord man clean your front deck and enjoy it.
you wouldn't want to be called white trash would you?
Clean the deck? That's time and effort that could be put into riding and farkling. The man has his priorities straight.

Great looking bike BTW
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #45
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 459
Looking good Bill. Are you bringing your new farkles west to the cabins in a few weeks?
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote