User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
carmima OP
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,945
Delhi to Leh (Himalayas) ride in August 2011

Well I've finally committed to do this ride. Plane tickets have been purchased and first 2 nights accommodation booked in Dehli - Karol Bagh.

Email sent to Lalli Singh regarding bike rental but I'm still waiting to hear back from him!! Hopefully soon.

The whole build up has been a bit daunting though, with the thought of doing this ride solo. I usually like riding solo and have done it in a number of countries but riding the Himalayas solo has had me thinking a bit!

I might be lucky though and have a friend sort things out and be able to make it...we'll see.

Anyway, I'll be landing in Delhi on the 17th August 2011 at 2:15am (what's the go with flights that arrive at that time of day) . That will give me the day to sort the bike and hopefully be ready to leave the following day.

Of course if anyone has wanted to do the ride and didn't want to take the guided tour method, then you'd be more than welcome to join me - late notice obviously!

Chanderjeet was good enough to mention that from the middle of August into the early part of Sept was a very good time to do this ride - I just hope there's less rainfall this year than last year when there was lots of landslides in the mountains.

carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,711
Lalli doesn't do emails
That's a busy time of the year for renting companies. But I sure hope you can find a bike.

I am in New Delhi, hardly 20 mins from Karol Bagh.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
carmima OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
Lalli doesn't do emails
That's a busy time of the year for renting companies. But I sure hope you can find a bike.

I am in New Delhi, hardly 20 mins from Karol Bagh.
- g'day mate, thanks for letting me know!!

Any idea how I can contact Lalli - I don't want to leave it till the last minute to organise a bike.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks...Mark

Old 06-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
carmima OP

Thumb Thankfully

Well I've finally heard from Lalli It took a bit to get hold of him though.
Chanderjeet was partially right, he doesn't readliy respond to emails and I couldn't get in touch by ringing the shop phone number!!

I finally realised he had a mobile number listed and he answered

So I've now got everything sorted:
Flights
Accommodation in Delhi
Bike

Now I've just got to wait patiently for the next 2.5 months to pass and I'll be there

Oh, and some other great news...oodeano (ADV member) is joining me. He's going over for work two weeks before I get there and is then taking leave and we'll do the ride together.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Very good. See ya here.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
carmima OP

Looking forward to it.

Hi Chanderjeet...mate I'd love to catch up if you have the time. The only issue with me is I arrive on the 17th August and we take off early the next day, so I only have the evening of Wednesday 17th .

Oodeano will be in Delhi 2 weeks before me (he's working). So he could possibly meet up anytime.

Let me know if you have any time.

cheers...Mark

Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #7
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

I'm sure we can work something out.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
Minko
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Do you have a route planned yet? I just booked flights to get over there in August too, might see you on the road! Hoping to find rental bikes out of Amritsar instead of starting in Delhi.
Minko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Kalkat
n00b

Oddometer: 1
It would probably be a little tough to rent bikes in Amritsar, Minko. Not typically on a biking circuit.
Delhi/Manali, even chandigarh possibly would be better options.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
carmima OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minko View Post
Do you have a route planned yet? I just booked flights to get over there in August too, might see you on the road! Hoping to find rental bikes out of Amritsar instead of starting in Delhi.
Hi...I've been away and just got came across your question. The following is what I've got planned. The wording for the route is from a travel writer (not me):
Proposed route:
<http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&s...8&z=7&dirflg=d>

The most popular motorcycle touring route in India is the northern route from New Delhi to Leh. The Delhi-Chandigarh-Manali-Leh circuit starts from the capital and then crosses a 250km agrarian and industrial belt through the states of Haryana and Punjab before weaving into the Shivalik Hills of the State of Himachal Pradesh.

New Delhi to Chandigarh = 251klm; National Highway 1 – approx 5hrs

After Chandigarh, the scenery improves and the best option of routes presents itself. Turning right from Chandigarh leads to Shimla – the Raj’s old summer capital and within an hour you are transported from the hot north Indian plains into the cool coniferous and monkey infested hills.

Chandigarh to Shimla = 120klm; NH 22 - approx 2hrs – Stay in Shimla 1st night
Spars Lodge, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh – Before entering Shimla, take Shimla Bypass NH 22 to Museum Road, Chaura Maidan

From Shimla, the best way to get to Manali – the gateway to the Himalayas: is the little known Tatapani route, a narrow and very sparingly used serpentine back road that snakes through a fir forest, descends down to a subtropical highland jungle with hot springs, and then, hugging the hills from valley to valley, comes out near Pandoh before Kullu. With an early start, it’s a day's ride and one of the most beautiful in the country. Keep an eye for the gigantic mural of Hanuman, the monkey god.
Located amidst towering peaks, pines and cannabis fields, Manali is usually the first unwinding spot of the route and the last for stocking up on spares. The town is a mixture of Tibetan and Indian residents and has several great bars, restaurants, guesthouses and shops. It’s easy to hang here for several days, get adjusted to the altitude and gear up for the next leg of the trip.

Shimla to Manali = 270klm; Various, NH 22, SH 13, MDR 22, SH 11, NH 21, MDR 29 – approx 5hrs – Stay in Manali 2nd night
Harmony Hotel Manali – on NH 21, near the Tibetan Monastery

The real trial begins right after, with 485ks of narrow, steep and gravel roads, creeping though the Himalayas, deserts and no less then five snowy mountain passes, the highest of them, the Tanglang La at 18,300+ feet. At the end of the road you arrive at Leh, the capital of Ladakh, with its Buddhist monasteries and volunteer workers. From here, I’ll ride ahead into the valley of Kashmir for the day, then returning back the same way.

Manali to Leh = 485klm; Various, NH 21, SH 26, NH 21, NH 22, NH 21 - approx 8hrs – Stay in Leh 3rd & 4th night
Hotel Tso Kar

Hotel in New Delhi:
Hotel Sri Nanak Continental, New Delhi
2222 Hardhyan Singh Road
Karol Bagh, New Delhi, 110005
Ph: 91 11 49330000 ; 91 9212001832

Hotel in Shimla:
Spars Lodge, Museum Road, Chaura Maidan

Hotel in Manali:
Harmony Hotel Manali
Kanyal Road, Rangri
Manali

Hotel in Leh:
Tso Kar

Bike hire:
Inder Motors – Lalli Singh
1740-A/55 (basement) Hari Singh Nalwa Street,
Abdul Aziz Road,
Karol Bagh,
New Delhi 110005
India
Phone:91-11-28750869,
91-11-28758579

Look at hiring 500cc Royal Enfield Bullet Machismo’s with left foot gear change and right foot brake.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
A couple of points.

Delhi to Chandigarh. When the roads are OK, it is just 2 1/2 hrs, unfortunately, AFAIK, the roads are not OK now. There is a lot of construction activity going on, (flyovers being constructed across each of the major cities en route) so crawling through them is a nightmare at present, and greatly adds to travel time. The figure of 5hr may be a bit optimistic, however, at night it should not be a problem. The road being a dual carriageway, it is fairly safe to travel through for noobs to India even at night.

Manali is at a height of just 8000 feet, not really enough to start the acclimatization process. Lots of things of tourist interest, yes, but for acclimatization, Keylong, on the other side of the Rohtang would be a better place to spend a few days. A cheaper alternative to Manali is Vashist, 5km away.

Manali to Leh 8hrs? No way. Minimum - 15, if there are landslides/ poor road conditions, it could easily be double that. Keylong to Leh can be done in a day, though, IF you start early and do not stop. Most stop at Sarchu for the night.
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
carmima OP

Thanks for that arn...good to have some local input rather than the times noted by a travel writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
A couple of points.

Delhi to Chandigarh. When the roads are OK, it is just 2 1/2 hrs, unfortunately, AFAIK, the roads are not OK now. There is a lot of construction activity going on, (flyovers being constructed across each of the major cities en route) so crawling through them is a nightmare at present, and greatly adds to travel time. The figure of 5hr may be a bit optimistic, however, at night it should not be a problem. The road being a dual carriageway, it is fairly safe to travel through for noobs to India even at night.

Manali is at a height of just 8000 feet, not really enough to start the acclimatization process. Lots of things of tourist interest, yes, but for acclimatization, Keylong, on the other side of the Rohtang would be a better place to spend a few days. A cheaper alternative to Manali is Vashist, 5km away.

Manali to Leh 8hrs? No way. Minimum - 15, if there are landslides/ poor road conditions, it could easily be double that. Keylong to Leh can be done in a day, though, IF you start early and do not stop. Most stop at Sarchu for the night.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,127
Question

Hey carmima what kind of budget you looking at to do this trip? How long you going for? Me and sean@Yals may be interested in joining in! We are loooking for a ride in asia or thereabouts mid august! India is definitely on my to do list so if it fits our meager budgets it might be a goer!! Please let me know a few more details mate?
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
carmima OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_343 View Post
Hey carmima what kind of budget you looking at to do this trip? How long you going for? Me and sean@Yals may be interested in joining in! We are loooking for a ride in asia or thereabouts mid august! India is definitely on my to do list so if it fits our meager budgets it might be a goer!! Please let me know a few more details mate?
Maaaaate...come along. Me and Deano are all about doing it cheap

Except for the airfares all the rest will be low budget.

Bike hire for 2 weeks is approx $500

Accomodation is bugger all, the dearest being Delhi for the first and last nights, the rest is very cheap (or so I'm led to believe).

Food also costs stuff all.

PM sent as well

Cheers...Mark

Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
zain
slow and steady

Oddometer: 64
Hello guys,
Any news from the trip. Himalaya is my most waiting trip which I hope I can do next time. Thus, i really hope that you guys could share your experiences and detail it out for us so that we could use them in future esp. in total cost, road condition, bike rental and the names of the hotels along the way to Leh. hope to see your RR soon. Good luck guys..