Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #16
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbysDaddy View Post
I'm new to motorcycles and motorcycle helmets so I don't have a lot of comparisons. I just received my new FX-39. I like the helmet, but there is a piece of rubber that rubs my nose and mine catches the wind at around 65 mph and kind of lifts it off my head - probably just need to tighten the strap. Good airflow from the vents.

I ordered the medium, and I think it's a good fit around my head, just hits my nose. I wear a 7 1/4 long oval hat. I'm 6'2" and I bet the little KLR wind screen doesn't help matters.
I had the same problem with the breath guard, so I just pulled it out. It really doesn't do much anyway. With the breath guard removed, you can position the helmet with the chin bar a little lower. This puts the visor at a better angle to cut through the wind without lift.

I crash tested my first FX-39 and it worked. I have replaced it with another FX-39. I did look at the Fly, and did not notice any significant difference with the exception of the ratchet strap. I do love that feature.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
devino
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad View Post
I had the same problem with the breath guard, so I just pulled it out. It really doesn't do much anyway. With the breath guard removed, you can position the helmet with the chin bar a little lower. This puts the visor at a better angle to cut through the wind without lift.

I crash tested my first FX-39 and it worked. I have replaced it with another FX-39. I did look at the Fly, and did not notice any significant difference with the exception of the ratchet strap. I do love that feature.
For Those coming back to this thread or finding this for the first time and are having problems with the medium afx fitting their head but to close to their face, you should buy the large fly instead.

When moving from the medium to the large size the shell is the larger mold but on the fly the inside fits slightly smaller so someone who is a medium on the afx and touching their face would be a large on a fly and lots of room out front. find somewhere that has both and try it, you might be surprised!
devino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #18
ridersblock
n00b

Oddometer: 5
The Trekker and the FX-39 seem identical other than the strap. Question I have are, is the face shields exactly the same? They each have different colors options at motorcycle-superstore. I have the light smoke and must say it is VERY light. It's a nice tint for night riding.

BTW: I have the Fly Trekker, my only complaint is the shield has only 3 positions; open, half-way open, and closed. When it's half-way open the bottom of the visor is in my direct line of sight. Is the AFX like this also?
ridersblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #19
TRUBRIT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Afx 39

Also bought the external sun shield which is a nice feature. This way I can have the Visor clear for night and flip the shield down for the Sun. Optically clear both Visor and shield and I wear glasses. Road tested to 100 mph with no lift or buffeting on my Super Ten. Slight buzz somewhere from the peak attachment. I ride with Ear Buds and music on trips so it is not an issue. Got to figure, for the price of an Arai I can have a good looking and functional AFX helmet and a set of K60's
TRUBRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #20
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersblock View Post
The Trekker and the FX-39 seem identical other than the strap. Question I have are, is the face shields exactly the same? They each have different colors options at motorcycle-superstore. I have the light smoke and must say it is VERY light. It's a nice tint for night riding.

BTW: I have the Fly Trekker, my only complaint is the shield has only 3 positions; open, half-way open, and closed. When it's half-way open the bottom of the visor is in my direct line of sight. Is the AFX like this also?
Yes, only 3 positions. I removed my shield and cut another tooth for the detent so it will moreorless stay just cracked. They are a biatch to remove, so it's not something you want to plan on doing in the field.

I wear tinted goggles with mine, and for off pavement, then flip down the shield for higher speeds and hiway. And of course, at night. No worry about changing sheilds.

I've put a couple of thousand on the AFX and it's great. Hot, cold, rain, the full array. And yes, the two brands are identical but they fit different, so go with the one that fits you personally. And yes, the Fly fits true, the FX runs large. I usually wear a large but the fly was a bit loose, so the M FX fit perfectly.

They are an excellent buy. And yes, they vent well for offroad use so they are a little more airy and noisier than a roadbike helmet. No lift from mine, but if you turn your head at speed then you can feel it catch the wind. For cold temps wear a bandana or balclava under. For hiway ear plugs. No issues.

The ratchet strap tends to be further back on the shell than most, so some may find it irritating. But it is handier than hell. And yes, pulled out the breath guard right off and tossed it.

Love it for dualsport riding. For all road I like a fully enclosed road helmet. But with contact lenses, the goggles are the hot setup so the AFX is the schiznit.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #21
num1husker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Fly DS Trekker Helmet and MSR DS Expedition Helmet

I have both these helmets and they are pretty much identical to each other, it's hard to tell any difference what so ever. I've worn them both and if I had to do the blind fit test I don't think you can tell them apart no doubt the same manufacturer.
num1husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersblock View Post
Question I have are, is the face shields exactly the same?
Yes. I have the Fly helmet and the darkest tinted shield for the AFX and it fits perfectly.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #23
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
well i hope i like the afx.
i already have the fly trekker and love it, but i found a camo afx 39 on ebay and i liked the look.
i have a large fly so i ordered a large afx.
should be here this week.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #24
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
well i hope i like the afx.
i already have the fly trekker and love it, but i found a camo afx 39 on ebay and i liked the look.
i have a large fly so i ordered a large afx.
should be here this week.
Hope it works out for you, I found the fit wasn't the same between the two. I was between sizes on the Fly, the large FX39 fit like a glove.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
DualMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
The two are definitely a different fit. Have you looked at the GMAX dualsport helmet? Seems to fall in this category.
DualMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #26
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Hope it works out for you, I found the fit wasn't the same between the two. I was between sizes on the Fly, the large FX39 fit like a glove.

You are right on with this. I am the same as you, an in-between size. I feel the AFX is too big for my head(it is a large) The Fly is just a bit smaller(also a large) I have not tried swapping the liners and pads around to see what it will do. I like the AFX's chin strap much better with the quick-clip thing. I tried a medium and I really liked the tight fit but my nose fit the face guard! I am thinking of selling both my Trekker and the 39 in favor of the Bilt Expodition with the extra tinted lense.
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #27
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

see i didnt like the built line of helmets, they were all funny feeling on my head.
i guess thats the odd thing is everyones head is diff.
still waiting on mine to show up.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #28
n1tr0
Dual Sport rider

Oddometer: 116
The AFX version has a bit more comfortable liner, the quick release strap, and a clearer face shield. I don't know what it is with the Fly face shields, but they just seem to have more distortion. The only downside of the quick release is that you'll need a cable to lock the helmet to our bike as there's no D-rings.

I fitted my FX39 with speakers connected to an ipod shuffle on the back of the helmet. You can't hear much at 60mph or above, but just having the speakers there taking up space made the helmet a bit quieter. Likewise, I trimmed and fitted a chin skirt I found on the wall of my Suzuki dealer (for some Scorpion helmet) and fitted it in which also greatly reduced wind noise and turbulence at highway speeds.
n1tr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #29
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #30
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

So i got it, no real diff. Accept the top of head padding and quick release on chin strap. Mine fit me the same as in my fly trekker, large.
Wind screen seems the same to me!
Like i said no real diff. Same shell as fly.