Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #46
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316

I have two rigs, one for summer one for winter!
No build threads sorry.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #47
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,209
Nice!

You going to 2013 KOH?
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #48
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Uff
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Nice!

You going to 2013 KOH?
No, was goning to do the tin benders but thats out now too, family stuff in the way of it. You wheel?
Old 11-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #49
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
Uff

No, was goning to do the tin benders but thats out now too, family stuff in the way of it. You wheel?
Yes sir

We should probably stop wrecking this thread. PM me if you want
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #50
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Back on track.......

NICE Buggies SS! Now back to our regularly scheduled thread
YET another company builds a clone:

It's the Cyber Helmets UX-32, WITH the sunshield already installed AND only $85
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/produ...s-ux-32-helmet

So there is the Fly Trekker, AFX FX-39, MSR Xpedition M-13, and now this UX-32 ALL these helmets are virtually identical. SOMEONE never got the exclusive patent rights. I don't think I've seen this many of the same helmet from different companys before.
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #51
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajeff View Post

So there is the Fly Trekker, AFX FX-39, MSR Xpedition M-13, and now this UX-32 ALL these helmets are virtually identical. SOMEONE never got the exclusive patent rights. I don't think I've seen this many of the same helmet from different companys before.
I talked to one of the importers selling these at the big bike show in LA last year and it seems they're all coming from the same factory, just different marketing channels. They were hawking them for like $99 or something at the show. Different colors too.

As mentioned, I've used mine quite a bit, several different dualsport and adventure trips, and it's a great piece. For all road I still prefer a full road helmet, even my cheapo VOX is nicer, quieter and more comfortable. And for dirtbiking an MX helmet. But for dualsport where you have hiway and dirt, and some weather thrown in, they're really slick. And they flow a LOT of air.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #52
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Meets or exceeds D.O.T., ECE and Snell standards
Meets or exceeds DOT standards

This is pretty good for the price with Snell standards. Even the AFX39 is not Snell rated that cost more.
outlaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #53
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws View Post
Meets or exceeds D.O.T., ECE and Snell standards
Meets or exceeds DOT standards

This is pretty good for the price with Snell standards. Even the AFX39 is not Snell rated that cost more.
It does pose the question IF they are all made by the same manufacturer and marketed by various companies, why would one or the other meet different standards??
2011 Verys ADV
Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #54
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It does pose the question IF they are all made by the same manufacturer and marketed by various companies, why would one or the other meet different standards??
probably like a dual sport dot rating?i believe the only reason a dunlop 606 tire is dot is because they spent a little extra to run the dot test, other tires would prob. pass too IF they took the dot test.
so they must have just paid the extra for the snell testing to get it approved and so the others would prob. pass also if the companys marketing them would pay a little extra for the snell approval test?
crazy though, does that last company offer them in more then 4 colors like the fly? i am happy with my fly and my afx, they fit the same to me.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #55
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
probably like a dual sport dot rating?i believe the only reason a dunlop 606 tire is dot is because they spent a little extra to run the dot test, other tires would prob. pass too IF they took the dot test.
so they must have just paid the extra for the snell testing to get it approved and so the others would prob. pass also if the companys marketing them would pay a little extra for the snell approval test?
crazy though, does that last company offer them in more then 4 colors like the fly? i am happy with my fly and my afx, they fit the same to me.
From what I've seen thery offer:
Black
Matte Black
Silver
White/Red
White/Blue
White/Black
2011 Verys ADV
Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #56
JBB2
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwscotty View Post
Hey Browneye or whoever else can answer...

You were talking about riding with the 39 in the rain....any seepage, or trickles inside the shield or does it have a pretty good waterproof seal?

I have a high dollar modular that I really like but it sucks in the rain when the water starts trickling in on the backside of the shield. No just wiping with the glove.
I've been wearing my FX-39 for six months, and it does allow trickles down the inside of the shield in the rain. Lots. When facing headlights at night it's a real hazard. It leaks because the gasket that should seal against the shield when it's down is not uniformly touching the shield. Mine looks uneven; if you got one made on a good day it might seal all the way across. Mine wasn't made on a good day. If you're looking at a new one, you can look up through the bottom with the shield closed and check that seal/gap to tell whether it will leak or not, I think. I also notice, depending on the rain and the wind at interacting with the windshield on my DL650, and how high or low I hold my head, that raindrops are getting flung up under the chinbar and on to my face and the shield.

I generally like this helmet, though. I did install a Fog City Pro Shield on it almost immediately since it fogs up on me pretty quickly. The areas of the shield that aren't covered by the Fog City insert still fog up but aren't right in front of my eyes.
JBB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #57
aiMhi
Now with Titanium

Oddometer: 629
Love mine as well - for the money what a deal. I got the matte black - looks badass! I recommend picking it up in store, this way you can try a couple and check the fit on the lens, etc.

Fits perfect on my XL melon and if I may add protected well in a hard-ass wipe-out.
aiMhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #58
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiMhi View Post
Love mine as well - for the money what a deal. I got the matte black - looks badass! I recommend picking it up in store, this way you can try a couple and check the fit on the lens, etc.

Fits perfect on my XL melon and if I may add protected well in a hard-ass wipe-out.
This weekend I got to put some offroad miles on my HJC offroad and I gotta tell you it's more comfortable than the AFX. Has a better liner. Oh well, still like my DS helmet, it was great for the 200 mile dualsport ride we did: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20119683&postcount=247
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #59
lucas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:

I can't find any of these helmets on Snell's certification lists.

http://www.smf.org/cert

lucas123 screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 08:41 AM
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #60
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 209
FX-39 is nice

I had reported awhile back on the FX-39 as being great due to low noise and very little to no lift even at speed. It was worlds better than a Fulmer DS that I had for a week (lots of lift). Over time the chin strap would dig into my neck on the AFX.

I replaced it with a Shoei Hornet DS (and a Scorpion EXO 900 Modular for pure street duty). Interestingly the Shoei has MORE LIFT than the AFX FX-39 when above 55 mph. It isn't horrible though. Though the Shoei is well built and, in my opinion, looks better it's aerodynamics are not that great. I'm 6'1", 33-34" inseam, riding a KTM 990 Adventure with stock wind shield (same riding position as my prior DL650). I use ear plugs on all rides. I'd say the AFX was as quiet as the Shoei. And for comparison my modular Scorpion EXO900 is much quieter than either of the DS helmets and overall a better helmet for pure street riding. I still consider the AFX to be a great buy.