Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,969
Once down the steepest sections we find where someone spent some time on the trail. What's a more ominous sign? The vultures? The search and rescue helicopter we saw flying over? Or that someone had to build a campfire on the trail?

And the trail doesn't even look that bad in this spot.

Further on I take a quick break to snap a picture of yet another oddly formed chunk of granite out here.

The trail is still challenging, but back to something I would call fun!

And then I come around a corner and give the classic quizzical dog look with fully tilted head. WTF is with this trail?
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Here is the nickel tour of the Lost Hills Trail. We got to this spot:

Then we dropped down to here-ish.

And finally, we end up here.

More riding, some even in second gear with my 14:48, 100mph gearing, lead us to an old, abandoned cattle pen and dry tanks.

The road in the background of the last pic shows up as a dashed line on my GPS going toward a crossing south of the Bartlett Dam. It is tempting, but if we cross the river (if we CAN cross the river), it is a long ride back to where we parked. The trail we were on didn't look so bad, so we kept going. Will we ever learn?

Yardstick screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 02:47 PM
Old 05-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #18
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

The trail from the old cattle pen and tanks started off as a wash and quickly turned into this:

Out of the bushes and into another small wash. The trail crisscrossed little washes countless times.

I stopped in the wrong position to really show what's going on here. Jrproper just climbed up a short hill and to his left is about a six foot straight drop off into the wash below. You don't want to make a mistake here.

Another drop into the wash and back out to climb up a hill where I needed more momentum than I could generate. I got stuck on the rock/ledge, as it seems many people do, and had to repeat a sequence of rolling back slightly then pushing while applying power to the rear wheel, gaining inches of ground with each effort.

Four feet of hard, level ground at the top of the hill and then we drop down into another wash.

Yardstick screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 02:49 PM
Old 05-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #19
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

My bike had been cranking slower with each restart all day. Finally at the bottom of the last hill it failed to start at all with the button. The Trail Tech high output stator couldn't keep up with the constant restarts, fan running and failing battery. Kicking the 530 for the first time had me wondering if somehow they slipped a 2008 cam with the backward decompression system into the 2010 model I got. It was hard to kick! The technique for an RFS motor (and most four strokes) is to use the decompression lever to move the motor just beyond TDC, then kick like you mean it. The new bikes didn't get a decompression lever. And this bike makes a lot of pressure at TDC.

Finally restarted I tried hard not to kill it through stuff like this.

The trail and wash are now joined and we can pick and choose our lines. I chose wrong. Jrproper chose right.

My line would have been worse!

See the bit of orange hiding in the bushes to the right? No reverse. Deep sand. It was work to get lined up right. And then I had to kick...
Old 05-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #20
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Eventually the trail dumped out in a random spot on a service road. We contemplated going straight back to the highway and back to the parking area, but we came this far. We needed to get to Bartlett!

This is either people making really bad decisions and there are quads and trucks under that water, or this place sees other off road traffic when the water is low.

Pinhole effect:

The marina on the other side of the lake.

And the more modern view.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Looks like an awesome time, that's my kinda trail!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #22
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

We spent a little time taking in our accomplishment and then headed up the service road toward the highway. It was looking like a fast, easy way back. There was no way we were going back the way we came. This is where the road peaks out.

And for a while there is a nice, shady tree tunnel.

There is even some water! But it turns out this is about where the "service road" officially ends (I'd say it starts, but it is a really random place for the start of a trail).

My energy level was low at this point and my tendons got a few serious unexpected strains so I was not ready for what came next and didn't get any pictures of the boulder fields on this road or the sand and boulder washes we rode through to get out to the highway. We made it though and we officially turned this trail ride into a "dual sport" ride.

The guy in front is hauling a giant agave stalk.

I usually hate riding on roads. Here I am quite happy. And tired!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #23
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

I don't want to post the maps of this trail because nobody really needs to ride it. A few people know where it is and it is ridden regularly enough. Any more traffic would create more holes and ruts and work arounds. So I'll just supply the profile and a few stats:

Entire ride profile: 37.2 miles, 7 hours 15 minutes, 5mph average.

Lost Hills Trail only: 8 miles, 3 hours 31 minutes, 2mph average.

And now I know what it would feel like to have jrproper beat me for hours on end with a 2x4.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #24
Strega 51
Guerilla Radio

Oddometer: 75
Fantastic, awesome ride..
Strega 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #25
jrproper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Nice pictures dude!! I didn't bring my camera along for this ride as I thought, "well, just a little ride out at Sycamore Creek, I probably won't take any pics". Man, wish I would of had the camera.

Today my thoughts are it was a pretty good ride, last night I sure was not thinking that.

And I'm still pulling needles out of my body from that cactus that ran into me.
jrproper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #26
jrproper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Here's what the GPS showed after the ride:

jrproper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #27
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Nice!
ybracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #28
Fastphil38
AZ Offroad

Oddometer: 461
Flagstaff!

Hey Guys, I'm itching to ride in the Flagstaff area soon, my Kid lives there. Any routes that you Valley Boys would suggest or should we plan a ride? Like fast ST to the top of one of those peaks, I've seen a cool video. Ride On! Phil
Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #29
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

I would love to ride some Flagstaff singletrack on a motorcycle! I have ridden there quite a bit with pedal power, but never a motor. I'm in if I can fit it in the schedule.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #30
Fastphil38
AZ Offroad

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
I would love to ride some Flagstaff singletrack on a motorcycle! I have ridden there quite a bit with pedal power, but never a motor. I'm in if I can fit it in the schedule.
Cool, I'd like to make it happen and ride with you too, There's plenty of talent up in the Valley, I'm sure they will be down with a road trip. Maybe even the "E". Ride On! Phil