User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #136
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,258
Keith, glad you are digging the app!

The first request is do-able with bing maps. Google now splits those layers apart and that makes for an excessively resource intensive feature.

Your second request is already on the list of enhancements. I've been out of town, but I plan to get to this in the next two weeks.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #137
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by kknuth View Post
Can you add Bing or Google HYBRID tiles as a download option?
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The first request is do-able with bing maps. Google now splits those layers apart and that makes for an excessively resource intensive feature.
Correct me if I'm wrong... but it's totally illegal under copyright law to implement that feature, unless google/bing allow it in their license agreement, and last time I checked they both explicitly do not allow it.

Last time we phoned up google asking to do something similar, they wanted us to pay an insanely high annual license fee.

From stack overflow:
Quote:
Except as expressly permitted under the Terms, or unless you have received prior written authorization from Google (or, as applicable, from the provider of particular Content), the license granted to you in Section 7 is conditioned on your adherence to all of the restrictions in this Section 8. Under this Section 8, you must not (nor may you permit anyone else to):

8.2. copy, translate, modify, create a derivative work of, pre-fetch, cache, or publicly display any Content or any part thereof.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #138
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong... but it's totally illegal under copyright law to implement that feature, unless google/bing allow it in their license agreement, and last time I checked they both explicitly do not allow it.

Last time we phoned up google asking to do something similar, they wanted us to pay an insanely high annual license fee.

From stack overflow:
I honesly don't know, but google maps 5.0 on android caches tiles now. regarldess of app, the intent is the same.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #139
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post

From stack overflow:
My browser caches the map tiles when I use Google Maps (just like yours and all others). Are you suggesting that all Google Maps users are acting in a "totally illegal" way? File caching is a resource saving activity (as there is a cost to downloading the same thing multiple times), and therefore is a green initiative and entirely politically correct. It's hard to imagine this does not fall under fair use. I am not serving the images to anyplace else. They are just being downloaded once used many times in the same place.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #140
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Update released

An update was released that addressed a few things.

1. When the tracking service is running the stored track displays on the map now.
2. Map tiles that are downloaded for each track now only get tiles down to zoom level 16. This is done to reduce tile volume.
3. The track downloader should be a little more consistent in it's behavior.
4. A few map tile sets were removed.
5. Bing maps were added to the map tile set list.
6. The map's location updates more often than in the last version. (I undid a modification that had an unintended consequence)
7. An error with the starting mode not looking right was addressed (untested).
Old 07-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #141
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
My browser caches the map tiles when I use Google Maps (just like yours and all others). Are you suggesting that all Google Maps users are acting in a "totally illegal" way?
The difference there is it's google's servers instructing your browser to cache, not a third party client app, which has to obey the EULA.

Quote:
File caching is a resource saving activity (as there is a cost to downloading the same thing multiple times), and therefore is a green initiative and entirely politically correct. It's hard to imagine this does not fall under fair use. I am not serving the images to anyplace else. They are just being downloaded once used many times in the same place.
I'm not a lawyer. But I suspect fair use does not apply here, what applies is google's EULA.

Fair use is about making copies of something we own. But we do not own copies of the map data. We don't have any right to download the maps at all except that googe gave us permission to do so, and we are required to obey whatever terms google attaches to their service. Those terms have a clause prohibiting caching. I've worked with google's map api for 20 or 30 of our clients now, and it's full of restrictions requiring a download every single time it's displayed.

Remember, google does not own any of that map data. They've negotiated a license with the companies who own the data, and it's those companies who ultimately decide what we're allowed to do with their data.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #142
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

New instructional video

Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #143
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I just finished the code to transmit and share your location with other through the website. Early tomorrow I will post an updated version of the app in the market and update the website.

After the update, you will find the new setting to turn on the tracking feature in the Settings=>dualsportmaps.com screen. It is turned off by default. If you turn on the background service and set it to share your location it will transmit even when the map is not showing.

In order to share this info you must go to the site and update your user settings to add users you wish to share this data with. You can select "Public" to share it with anyone. The data will be shown on the map of people who have access to your location and chose to turn on that layer.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #144
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Remote Control with knob

This version of the remote has a knob for bearing, zoom, and volume control.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #145
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
This version of the remote has a knob for bearing, zoom, and volume control.

Love it. Sexy even. Great solution for a real problem.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #146
Dirt Encrusted
or about to be

Oddometer: 85
Just joined the website

Thanks for putting together the website. It looks great.

I know this is for Droid, so forgive me, but an iPhone option would be very welcome.

Keep up the good work.

-
Dirt Encrusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #147
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Encrusted View Post
Thanks for putting together the website. It looks great.

I know this is for Droid, so forgive me, but an iPhone option would be very welcome.

Keep up the good work.

-
I'm glad to have you on board.

I'd be happy to help someone else with that, but I don't see myself doing it.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #148
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Mounted up

I managed to mount up my aquabox this afternoon, and I'm pleased with the results. Easy to use the touch screen through the plastic window and good view quality through the plastic as well.

I still need to run the power and audio wires and the clearance might be a little bit tight with the phone and cables plugged in on both ends. I'm using a 90 degree micro USB, and shopping for a low profile 90 degree audio plug.

I'm really looking forward to getting it out on the trail soon.

LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #149
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,172
I like this :). Tried to buy the app from the market but it won't take a payment, is the actual phone app not set up yet, or is there a temporary glitch in the app store? Headed back up to NC/TN tomorrow for a couple weeks, thought it would be a good time to play with it.

Craig
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #150
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
I like this :). Tried to buy the app from the market but it won't take a payment, is the actual phone app not set up yet, or is there a temporary glitch in the app store? Headed back up to NC/TN tomorrow for a couple weeks, thought it would be a good time to play with it.

Craig
Must be a glitch in the Market. The app is there and many people have it.