Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #1561
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Hey Arny!! What charger are you using, or what USB outlet. I'm using the BurnsMoto and it hasn't failed me yet.
Jeremy - Beginning to think its the charger itself rattling to death. I will try the Burnsmoto.

I did try trapping the cable next to the phone but no go.

Ultimate Addon doesn't seem to have a case for my phone. Thx

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #1562
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,223

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
That is a listing of ALL vids. I've spent more time than I care to admit trying to discover how to add/increase track points to an existing track. It doesn't appear to be as easy as adding Waypoints, which IS easy to find in the Adding Waypoints vid. Does anyone have time to give me a better clue? thanks
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #1563
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
Jeremy - Beginning to think its the charger itself rattling to death. I will try the Burnsmoto.

I did try trapping the cable next to the phone but no go.

Ultimate Addon doesn't seem to have a case for my phone. Thx
I haven't had any issues with the one I bought from Warm and Safe.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #1564
ColoST
Colo Single Track

Oddometer: 44
First time have trouble downloading "My Maps"

Crafty, great app been working well for the last year +, no troubles. I have "download my map" many times. But tonight I am unable to download any maps except one. I did "delete all maps" to test the download , no luck. It will download the first single map,new or with changes each time. I did upload photobucket last night but i have since removed it from the casio commando c771. Not sure what i have going. any ideas? Thanks again for all your hard work. Check my page if you would. the only map it will download is the 03 green river to hite. andy

99KLX300/03BMWF650GS/COHVCO/AMA

http://ColoradoSingleTrack.com
ColoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #1565
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I just gave it a test on my phone. I have 70 "My Maps" and they all just downloaded fine. Can you confirm that you have your login and password setup (if you are getting 1 map I'm sure you do but its worth a double check). Go ahead and "Force Stop" the app (or reboot your phone) and try again. One thing to check is that your device has space free in the user data area. I don't actually know how to do this. I store the DSM Maps in a "protected" user space (which is not inspectable) but it is very possible that you have filled it up with other apps. If you can find an app that is consuming a ton of space on disk and uninstalling (and wiping its data) it that may solve your problem as well (Android Settings -> App Management -> *App* -> Storage -> Data). My 70 maps use about 8MB of storage space, and I have a TON map data. Over a million track points. Sorry I don't have more ideas for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoST View Post
Crafty, great app been working well for the last year +, no troubles. I have "download my map" many times. But tonight I am unable to download any maps except one. I did "delete all maps" to test the download , no luck. It will download the first single map,new or with changes each time. I did upload photobucket last night but i have since removed it from the casio commando c771. Not sure what i have going. any ideas? Thanks again for all your hard work. Check my page if you would. the only map it will download is the 03 green river to hite. andy
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #1566
ColoST
Colo Single Track

Oddometer: 44
Thanks - problem solved.

Crafty, just as you instructed: I did move ds data to the sd card, force stopped the app, rebooted the phone, reset log in and password. Able to retrive all of the maps again.... Nicely done.. I have a great time with this app and the map making is a great time and quite entertaining. I don't know about other users but I would gladly make donations too your cause, just let us know. Thanks again. Andy

99KLX300/03BMWF650GS/COHVCO/AMA

http://ColoradoSingleTrack.com
ColoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #1567
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Woot!
I have yet to figure out how to fund this project. The website is expensive and the app does not cover the costs. I don't like advertising. I don't like memberships. The best course of action I have come up with is an NPR like semi annual fund drive. The problem with that is that if it fails I'd feel obliged to shut down the site to punish the users who chose not to support it. I'm not ready to do that either... Technology is easy, business is hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoST View Post
Crafty, just as you instructed: I did move ds data to the sd card, force stopped the app, rebooted the phone, reset log in and password. Able to retrive all of the maps again.... Nicely done.. I have a great time with this app and the map making is a great time and quite entertaining. I don't know about other users but I would gladly make donations too your cause, just let us know. Thanks again. Andy
Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #1568
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,963
Add a donate button via PayPal to your website.

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #1569
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I put up a Donate Button (top right near the login link) which goes to a $10/month subscription page a Paypal. We shall see how this goes.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #1570
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Website rewrite needed

I suppose now is as good a time as any spill the beans on this. Google has decided to shutdown the Maps API V2 that the website uses to render and edit maps. This means that the website needs a complete rewrite to stay online past the summer. This affects the Android users as much as the website users because the app has such a tight connection to the website. The donate button I added to the site which sets up a subscription will keep the website online going forward but we also need a pile of cash to rewrite the thing too. I setup a page to try to collect enough money get it done. Help out if you can.

UPDATE 3/19/2013
***I cancelled the fundraiser and refunded everyone. Not enough money was coming in and the cost to refund the money was 10% so every dollar I did raise was just money I was burning. I also tried to get a Kickstarter page up but it was turned down.***

The Google end of life notice.

craftycoder screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 05:32 PM
Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #1571
pepetrueba
PePeBaJa

Oddometer: 197
google maps

Does this have to do with Andy Rubin's resignation as CEO for Google and possibly changes within the android platform??
I have bee using your application side by side with my Garmin Montana and quite frankly your application is easier to use while riding.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #1572
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Unrelated issues. The site is built with Google Web Toolkit and when I built it Google Maps API V3 was new and was not supported by GWT so I decided to use V2 assuming that GWT would eventually support Maps V3. Well, Maps V2 is being shutdown in May and still there is no GWT support for V3 (and there wont be, Google doesn't give a crap). I now have a mountain of really shitty work to do to make the website work by May.

Yesterday's donations were not very encouraging but there is still time to offer support and get the word out. This is an interesting experiment to me. Either people are going kick down a pile of cash and I will make time to rewrite the website or they won't and it dies in May. I've invested A LOT of time, money, and effort into the website and app and I gained a lot of valuable experience doing it. I just don't have the time to work for free anymore though (more kids, big mortgage, questionable job security). If the site was not going to require such a large investment to continue I'd be agreeable to the status quo (and in fact just last November I got a new $8000ish server online for this to run on for the next few years) but that is not the new reality. Google is shutting us down and soon. We need to make the investment now or say goodbye.

Before anyone starts to offer suggestions that include them not ponying up dough, I'd like to make a few things clear. I'm not interested in the site being anything but free to use. A fee defeats the purpose of having an open track database which is large and growing. At the same time it costs a lot to run the site and even more to write. That means it needs revenue. Advertisements are very offensive to my sense of aesthetic, so they are out. That means the future of the site falls on the shoulders of its users who can choose to support it or not at their leisure.

I know that isn't "fair" because some people will have to pay so that others get it for free. That is to all our benefit though. This is a rather typical tragedy of the commons situation. It is in EVERYONE's best interest to not send me a nickel so they can have the website for free, but there will be no website unless EVERYONE kicks in $10 without coercion. I wonder how it will shake out? Maybe we all get lucky and some rich benefactor will step in and sponsor the work for all our benefit.

The app is great though, I agree with you Pepe. I made it because the Montana was not yet released and the Garmin I had just didn't cut the mustard. I made my own and it works EXACTLY how I want it to. Had the Montana been for sale I'd probably have just got one but for myself and learned to live with it. I'm glad I was too impatient and made my own. It was a worthy endeavor.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #1573
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Either people are going kick down a pile of cash and I will make time to rewrite the website or they won't and it dies in May.
How much cash are we talking about here? Tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands. Give us a target and we can make an informed decision on our support level.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #1574
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
How much cash are we talking about here? Tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands. Give us a target and we can make an informed decision on our support level.
Great question. I've been wondering if anyone would ask it. We are talking about at least solid month of work here for the rewrite. That costs $15,000 when you include the tax man's piece. I also would like to see enough regular revenue coming in to help defer the ongoing and recurring expenses which are about $1500/month roughly. That includes database servers, web servers, storage, bandwidth only; none of my time is included in that number. The app brings in about $500. Those recurring costs are not my main concern at the moment though. I've been eating that for the last few years and I can manage that in the near term while I come up with a solution to that rather fundamental imbalance. What doesn't feel appropriate to me is me taking the month off from working for money so I can rebuild the site. I'm sure everyone can understand that.

I'm sort of pissed at Google for this but I understand and respect their choice to shut down the V2 API. I do not forgive them not making the V3 Maps API GWT compatible though. I've been yelling at them about this for years because I knew this day would come and I REALLY wanted it to not be such a giant pain in the ass. It's going to be harder to write the site the second time than it was the first. This is why I've been stalling for so long to move to the Maps API V3 though. I just couldn't believe they were going to burn all of us GWT/Maps people like this. There are a lot of people like me scrambling to figure out what to do right now.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #1575
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Dammit. I just ordered a Nexus 7 yesterday, primarily to use this app and now I see this. Well, I've chipped in $10 for now, and will be keeping my fingers crossed.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote