Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 04:38 AM   #181
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
I have scanned your thingie and looked in Android Market and cannot find your app. Just doesn't seem to come up.

WP
I told the market to require Froyo (aka Android 2.2). You probably do not meet that requirement.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #182
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

App update

The app has been updated to display the current active log in a more obvious color. It had been displaying as a wide mostly transparent yellow line. Oddly, it was hard to see. I've changed it so that it is now much narrower, solid, and a higher contrasting color. I've been riding the last few weekends and been finding this feature sort of annoying hard to see.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #183
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

remote control electronics are shrinking

The electronics are shrinking. That is a standard sized USB plug for scale. The plan now is to put all the parts in one waterproof box and mount that to the bars. These electronics cost about half of the prototype electronics.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #184
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,459
I like where this is heading....
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #185
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,463
Coder-

How would this work with a Cheap Chinese Tablet? ...Assuming it had at least android 2.2

Secondly, Would it work with one of the external bluetooth GPS adapters assuming the tablet did not have an internal?

And thirdly, Is there a way to get specialized maps on it from providers such as VVmapping? He makes maps for GPS units which already have all the ORV trails in the base layer, Along with indications of what roads are legal to ride in state and national forests-- Neither of which Google does.

I'm thinking It'd be like a full page of a gazetter that would live in my tankbag's map pocket
BENRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #186
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

One user, who is currently on a long trail trip is using a Nook Color with bluetooth GPS already. It works great he says. 7" moving map in his tank bag is the bomb or so he claims. I'm still just using my phone .

VVmapping sells Garmin maps I believe. I've been working a little on using them as a base map, but it is not ready and I have no ETA. My suggestion would be to transfer those lines into a GPX and upload that GPX onto the dualsportmaps (as a private map assuming VV considers his maps proprietary). Then you and only you would be able to have ready access to those maps whenever you wanted them and if they got wiped from the phone you could easily download them from the site again. There are free tools you can use to convert a Garmin map into a GPX so while it is not trivial it is feasible with an hour or two of reasearch and 20 minutes of hacking. I think MapMan will do it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
Coder-

How would this work with a Cheap Chinese Tablet? ...Assuming it had at least android 2.2

Secondly, Would it work with one of the external bluetooth GPS adapters assuming the tablet did not have an internal?

And thirdly, Is there a way to get specialized maps on it from providers such as VVmapping? He makes maps for GPS units which already have all the ORV trails in the base layer, Along with indications of what roads are legal to ride in state and national forests-- Neither of which Google does.

I'm thinking It'd be like a full page of a gazetter that would live in my tankbag's map pocket
Old 08-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #187
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

New remote control case drawings.

The new tiny electronics will fit in the back. This is designed to be waterproof, but I'm not certain it will be. I can't imagine how the water gets in, but that doesn't mean it won't. The wide dimension is about 2 inches. The whole on the side is for the wires to the battery and phone.

The last problem to solve is mounting to the bike. I'm going to look at the bikes tomorrow and see what I think it is best.

My wife took pity on me and got me Solidworks which is why the parts look better.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #188
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,459
Looking good
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #189
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,160
Looking at the pics, I don't see a seal, like on the GoPro camera case. Maybe you could use the same seal or type of seal...
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #190
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Looking at the pics, I don't see a seal, like on the GoPro camera case. Maybe you could use the same seal or type of seal...
I'm going to put a gasket between the blue and orange parts. I am hopeful. A threaded rubber boot will cover the large hole in the front. The side hole will be sealed to IP67. No leaks there.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #191
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
So is this fancy controller using standard USB, or something else?

If It's USB I bet I can get it working on an iPhone... that'd be nice!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #192
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
So is this fancy controller using standard USB, or something else?

If It's USB I bet I can get it working on an iPhone... that'd be nice!
I'd say it's standard USB but it is done in a non standard way. The remote is the USB host and phone is the USB slave. This is because Android phones are just slave devices. This a good thing actually, because it allows the remote to charge the phone which is very cool if you ask me.

The protocol is open and standard so you should be able to get the two to jive. Look up the Android Accessory Development Kit. The specs are in there.

I've been messing with SolidWorks today. I found some issues with the previous model after modeling the innards and putting them in. I'll post some photos once I get the rotary encoder finished.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #193
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The protocol is open and standard so you should be able to get the two to jive. Look up the Android Accessory Development Kit. The specs are in there.
Sounds good. I've never worked with USB before, but it can't be too hard. I will wait until you've ironed out all/most of the glitches before I get stuck into it though.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #194
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
Sounds good. I've never worked with USB before, but it can't be too hard. I will wait until you've ironed out all/most of the glitches before I get stuck into it though.
The firmware is working great. The software on the phone is good. The hard part is making it REAL.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #195
adventure95004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
just found this an hour ago, downloaded and it works great on HTC EVO. I am not a techy person but have got the basics figured out.
Great app and I cannot wait for the remote. I probably have never paid more than a few$$ for an app but this is well worth it, especially if it saves me from upgrading my old garmin.
Thanks for your work with this.