User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 05:08 AM   #256
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,210
App Update

The app update has been released. I did not hear back from Thanantos about his continued testing of the slide out keyboard bug fix, but I can't see that the "fix" causes any new problems so I released it. Also included is the Automatic Volume Control and UTM Grid Layer.

The Automatic Volume control is "experimental". That means that I only gave it the most modest of testing. I don't believe it will crash the app or anything like that, but I'm not absolutely certain it will behave in the way we would all prefer or expect. Feedback is welcome, please be as specific as you can as to what issues you encounter and what was going on when it happened.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 AM   #257
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The app update has been released. I did not hear back from Thanantos about his continued testing of the slide out keyboard bug fix, but I can't see that the "fix" causes any new problems so I released it. Also included is the Automatic Volume Control and UTM Grid Layer.

The Automatic Volume control is "experimental". That means that I only gave it the most modest of testing. I don't believe it will crash the app or anything like that, but I'm not absolutely certain it will behave in the way we would all prefer or expect. Feedback is welcome, please be as specific as you can as to what issues you encounter and what was going on when it happened.
The keyboard slide issue is fixed. I will try to do some testing of the volume control feature. I'm excited about that.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #258
Thanantos
Ride hard.

BTW, if you are in the market for a new phone in the next 6 months or so this should be coming to the U.S.:
http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-...oid+Central%29

Or there is always the Casio G'zOne Commando:
http://www.androidcentral.com/casio-gzone-commando

After getting this GREAT app, the biggest PITA I am having is finding a good way to mount and weatherproof the phone. Would be nice to have a phone that was weather/dust proof on it's own.

2013 V-Strom
Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #259
Thanantos
Ride hard.

I played with the volume control today, but kept getting force close errors. I sent you a couple of the notifications.

I do have the caveat however that prior to today my phone was mainly stock (just rooted). I was having issues with other apps and decided to reinstall using a heavily modded ROM (RandomRom 2.2 for Epic 4G) that includes the Voodoo Control app that also includes volume hacks. So, the issue may not be with the app. I will wait to hear what others have to say.

P.S. The force close error was fixed within a half hour by Crafty. It works great now!

2013 V-Strom

Thanantos screwed with this post 09-08-2011 at 11:20 AM
Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #260
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I failed to recreate the error with the Auto Volume stuff in my testing but I was able to imagine how it happened and fix it anyway. Thanks for pointing it out and sending in the bug report. I think we fixed it before anyone else even saw it.

That Sony phone is pretty sweet. Thanks for posting it. I want to know what the leash is though.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #261
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I failed to recreate the error with the Auto Volume stuff in my testing but I was able to imagine how it happened and fix it anyway. Thanks for pointing it out and sending in the bug report. I think we fixed it before anyone else even saw it.
Yep, it works great. It will take a little time to dial the low and high volumes in, but it is a reason I will use this app even when I don't have a reason to use the GPS features.

Crafty and I discussed this a bit over email. I think there should be a third volume option for "Highway Speeds", Crafty's argument is there is wind noise or there isn't so two volume levels should work. Even though I think two will work fine, I am interested to hear (no pun intended) how others use this feature and their experiences.

One thing to remember when setting the "low" volume is that this is independent of the current volume you have set. This confused me for a while because I had it set too low. I would set up the volume using the volume rocker switch while sitting on the bike and take off to find the volume went immediately too low.

You should set up the "low" volume to approx, whatever the volume you have set while sitting on your bike with earplugs in and helmet on. This should work fine, but may need some fine tuning. It's the "high" volume that will really take some tweaking. I am still working to get mine spot on.

Either way, great app, great features and great developer. Thanks Crafty!

2013 V-Strom
Old 09-10-2011, 02:59 AM   #262
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Crafty and I discussed this a bit over email. I think there should be a third volume option for "Highway Speeds", Crafty's argument is there is wind noise or there isn't so two volume levels should work. Even though I think two will work fine, I am interested to hear (no pun intended) how others use this feature and their experiences.
For what it's worth, I use my iPhone to play music or podcasts when commuting, and not on any other type of riding. I run it at 100 percent volume on the highway (barely loud enough with my noisy helmet and the cheap headphones i've got mounted inside the helmet), and drop it down to around 80 percent when I'm going to be riding slower speeds for a while. I suspect three volumes would suit me:

* highway speeds
* slower speeds
* stationary/almost stationary (traffic lights)

... i wonder if you can measure how much noise is going on with the phone's built in mic, and adjust the volume based on that ...

That sony phone looks really good! If it ends up being reasonably cheap without a contract ($300-ish?) then I think I'll buy one, and use it exclusively on the bike. Crafty, do you think it'll run your app ok? Looks like it's got fairly modest specs compared to other phones.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:37 AM   #263
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
* highway speeds
* slower speeds
* stationary/almost stationary (traffic lights)
That makes some sense. I'd like to get some feedback from users to see how it works in practice with two settings before we make it more complicated though.

The Sony is absolutely adequate performance wise.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #264
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,849
I just picked up two mint Droid Xs specifically for this app and activated them on Page Plus I'm planning on rooting them to be able remove the Verizon bloatware. Being a total android n00b I have to ask, should I root first and then download the app. Sounds like a stupid question now that I wrote it.
They did not come with SD cards so I have to buy cards separate; is 16 GB enough or should I spring for 32 GB
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #265
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Depends on the root process for your phone, but it's not a big deal. You may have to wipe the phone to root so you would just have to reinstall the app if you installed it before rooting.

2013 V-Strom
Old 09-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #266
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I don't know the certain answer about rooting (I've only ever rooted a Nook and I wrote most of my own software for it anyway), but I would root first and then buy it. I'd hate to lose some setting in the market and have to buy it again. 16GB is a lot, but it really depends on how many maps you want at the same time. California is about 400MG and it's one of the biggest ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee1445 View Post
I just picked up two mint Droid Xs specifically for this app and activated them on Page Plus I'm planning on rooting them to be able remove the Verizon bloatware. Being a total android n00b I have to ask, should I root first and then download the app. Sounds like a stupid question now that I wrote it.
They did not come with SD cards so I have to buy cards separate; is 16 GB enough or should I spring for 32 GB
Old 09-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #267
PupPet

Oddometer: n/a
Thumb love the app thanks magnate added kodachrome cruise

aloha thanks for the app and website just got a samsung infuse 4g and learning how to work it put a offroad jaunt on there to share kodachrome cruise cottonwood canyon road, look forwad to using it cross country to visit a friend for a wedding, could you get it to read spot connect gps transmission, as it would be a constant gps signal, just a thought even thou the offline ability looks amazing, and ability to put in locations, etc kudos from a newb learning, love to ride, outdoors , etc

live love learn and balance gravitational alteration along the experience!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #268
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The handsets all generally have GPS in them already so connecting to an external GPS is unnecessary. You can connect to GPS without being on a cell phone network. All you need to use this is power and something to keep the phone clean and dry.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #269
PupPet

Oddometer: n/a
Talking gps disappear with cell service?

doesn't the gps signal correlate with the phones cell service? I agree, quick question is there a way to calibrate the dualsportmap gps on app is not correct but gps on phone show proper where am I location? thanks awesome app no complaints thanks
Old 09-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #270
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by PupPet View Post
doesn't the gps signal correlate with the phones cell service? I agree, quick question is there a way to calibrate the dualsportmap gps on app is not correct but gps on phone show proper where am I location? thanks awesome app no complaints thanks
GPS does NOT correlate with cell service. GPS satellites are in space and as long as you can see the sky they can tell you where you are. Turn off "network" location service in your phones settings and see if you have better luck. The app itself does not control the data that is coming from the handset, so if the handset is giving you bad location data it is outside of my hands. Network location is much less accurate but also much faster to lock. GPS is generally more accurate but takes longer to tell you where you are.