Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #271
PupPet

Oddometer: n/a
Gps reads different in dualsportmaps than on google maps

I understand that a gps receives it's information from the satellite, just didn't know if the phone gps units information came from a Safelite or it's phone data connection, so if the connection is lost so is the gps ? I have a couple gamins and the spot also for the backountry. But is there a way to get it to refresh your location in the app or does it automatically do that when you ask it, " where am I"? As the results it produces differ from checking in at the exact same location? Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it and think the app is awesome!
Old 09-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #272
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by PupPet View Post
I understand that a gps receives it's information from the satellite, just didn't know if the phone gps units information came from a Safelite or it's phone data connection, so if the connection is lost so is the gps ? I have a couple gamins and the spot also for the backountry. But is there a way to get it to refresh your location in the app or does it automatically do that when you ask it, " where am I"? As the results it produces differ from checking in at the exact same location? Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it and think the app is awesome!
The phone does not need a data connection for the app to work. Also, GPS will work regardless of a data connection even on your phone. In the app settings you tell it how frequently to get a GPS fix. By default it requests a fix several times a minute. The default settings are not battery friendly though. I assume you are plugging in the phone. If you are not you should change the GPS settings to be more appropriate for your battery.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #273
PupPet

Kewlio thanks hopefully get it set up properly think it's the phone the application is pretty solid!

live love learn & balance gravitational alteration along the excursion
Old 09-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #274
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The phone does not need a data connection for the app to work. Also, GPS will work regardless of a data connection even on your phone. In the app settings you tell it how frequently to get a GPS fix. By default it requests a fix several times a minute. The default settings are not battery friendly though. I assume you are plugging in the phone. If you are not you should change the GPS settings to be more appropriate for your battery.
Which is a neat point because you can then use this app with a phone that doesn't have a service plan at all. All the phone needs is a wifi connection to download the app and maps.

Pick up a cheap HTC hero or something on CL and you've got a great little GPS unit with a 3" touchscreen.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #275
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Which is a neat point because you can then use this app with a phone that doesn't have a service plan at all. All the phone needs is a wifi connection to download the app and maps.

Pick up a cheap HTC hero or something on CL and you've got a great little GPS unit with a 3" touchscreen.
Indeed, I've considered a Samsung Galaxy Player. It's like an iPod touch on with Android. The nice thing about this app is that it works with your existing equipment so the total cost of ownership is really low. Though I'm loath to say it (as it makes me sound like a douche), I think this is really better than my Garmin at any price even if this happens to be very cheap. As such I'd feel like I got a great deal even if I purchased a new Android device for a couple $100 and put this on it. I paid $500 for my Zumo and it really sucks in comparison IMO.

The remote parts are slowly trickling in. As you might imagine sourcing the parts for this remote control is tedious and difficult. These are not parts you can get at the Ace Hardware. Everything is rare and expensive. Still, if it allows me to use my normal phone in harsh conditions I'm cool with it. If that Sony or Casio are awesome and become affordable without a contract I could imagine going that way as well. I have a sneaking suspicion that the remote is going to be groovy though, I might be done as early as next week. I've sent the designs to a guy who is going to make me a prototype. If it works as expected, I'll put out feelers and see if anyone wants one. The more buyers the cheaper of course.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #276
Thanantos
Ride hard.

My own post got me thinking. Did some research and their are a few ruggedized android phones that have been out for a while and can be had for $100 or so on CL.

The Motorola Defy (the Defy+ is coming soon) and the i1 also from Motorola. Seems both can be had for around $100. If I catch a deal I might pick one of these up.

Do you have any ballpark figure where the remote is going to fall in terms of price?

2013 V-Strom
Old 09-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #277
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,704
Quote:

also a good MP3 player,sometimes they have FM tuners.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #278
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Just heard of a friend of a friend who's created this setup:

Quote:
To provide extended battery operation of the mobile telephone, 8 AA alkaline batteries are mounted in two Jaycar enclosed battery holders (cat. No. PH9282) to drive a Jaycar 12V-to-5V dc switching converter (cat. No. MP3042, efficiency probably >94%, casing trimmed with a hack saw to remove its automotive plug) as shown here:

Name:  battery_charger_unit.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  107.5 KB
Might be a nice alternative to wiring into the battery on a kickstart only bike.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #279
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
So, If I break down and buy the app, then break down and get a new rugged phone... can I load the app on the new phone without paying again?

And I am in for a remote too... somehow I think this is all too cool to miss out on. If I were able to find a decent mount I would probably already have the Commando... as it is I haven't seen any assessories yet for it.

Are you using a bluetooth headset or a wired one?
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:13 AM   #280
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
So, If I break down and buy the app, then break down and get a new rugged phone... can I load the app on the new phone without paying again?

And I am in for a remote too... somehow I think this is all too cool to miss out on. If I were able to find a decent mount I would probably already have the Commando... as it is I haven't seen any assessories yet for it.

Are you using a bluetooth headset or a wired one?
Your purchases in the Android Market are linked to your email address and can be installed on any device forever. So if you have 2 android phones and a tablet you could install the app on all three.

I plan to use a universal mount like this one from Ram: http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

It will work with just about any bar phone, handheld gps, radio, etc.

Personally I just use a set of earbuds.

I was looking last night and might mount the phone hanging down in front of the speedo on my KLR. This app has your speed on the screen and it the perfect place to mount it. Most directly in your line of vision and protected from the weather.

It also helps that I already own this app for when I don't need the GPS:http://www.appbrain.com/app/dashboar...boardassistpro

2013 V-Strom
Old 09-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #281
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The remote should be <$200 if I can get 10 buyers. The cost of the case and custom cable are very sensitive volume. The rest of the parts are not very sensitive to volume.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #282
PupPet

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
GPS does NOT correlate with cell service. GPS satellites are in space and as long as you can see the sky they can tell you where you are. Turn off "network" location service in your phones settings and see if you have better luck. The app itself does not control the data that is coming from the handset, so if the handset is giving you bad location data it is outside of my hands. Network location is much less accurate but also much faster to lock. GPS is generally more accurate but takes longer to tell you where you are.
After calling samsung, AT&T to reset and configuring some settings it's now reading correct position ;) thanks for the help the app is fabulous! Bad phone, technology is great when it works amazing sometimes what/how to fix, easy fix problem solved. Thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #283
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
Quote:
Your purchases in the Android Market are linked to your email address and can be installed on any device forever. So if you have 2 android phones and a tablet you could install the app on all three.

I plan to use a universal mount like this one from Ram: http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

It will work with just about any bar phone, handheld gps, radio, etc.

Personally I just use a set of earbuds.

I was looking last night and might mount the phone hanging down in front of the speedo on my KLR. This app has your speed on the screen and it the perfect place to mount it. Most directly in your line of vision and protected from the weather.

It also helps that I already own this app for when I don't need the GPS:http://www.appbrain.com/app/dashboar...boardassistpro
Hmm...

Well I was looking at that mount too and it made the short list but I just don't think it would hold up.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #284
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Hmm...

Well I was looking at that mount too and it made the short list but I just don't think it would hold up.
I have been using that RAM finger grip mount for couple of years. It has at least 40,000 miles on it with zero issues. I did glue a neoprene rubber sheet to the back to reduce vibration and such on the phone. It wasn't needed, but I felt better about it. I also cut out a large opening for the camera to poke through. It is normally covered by the neoprene to protect the lense.

Yes, it is very durable as pretty much all of the RAM stuff is.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #285
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
I have been using that RAM finger grip mount for couple of years. It has at least 40,000 miles on it with zero issues. I did glue a neoprene rubber sheet to the back to reduce vibration and such on the phone. It wasn't needed, but I felt better about it. I also cut out a large opening for the camera to poke through. It is normally covered by the neoprene to protect the lense.

Yes, it is very durable as pretty much all of the RAM stuff is.
and on his recommendatin, I got one also. It's on the goldwing mostly, but it's a great setup for what I use it for.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote