User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #316
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,484
Unsolicited advice:

How making that yellow triangle point to a destination instead of just straight ahead?

...As soon as I get something with android on it I'll be all over this.
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #317
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
Unsolicited advice:
How making that yellow triangle point to a destination instead of just straight ahead?
I appreciate advice, solicited or otherwise Benron.

Just in case any of y'all didn't understand how it works, please let me give the opportunity to see it in action so you can comment with more clear idea of how it works. The is no better time to improve this while the code is all fresh in my mind so please send on your ideas. The good ones get included; for real!

craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #318
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post

Just in case any of y'all didn't understand how it works, please let me give the opportunity to see it in action so you can comment with more clear idea of how it works. The is no better time to improve this while the code is all fresh in my mind so please send on your ideas. The good ones get included; for real!

Nice... I always wished my Garmin had an indicator of which direction my next turn was going to be and my closing distance to it. Now I have distance to it but don't see the direction until I am often times too close.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #319
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,598
Quote:
On the topic of various and sundry features that could be added (this is not in any way a priority, but thought it was neat) this app gives you the option to have a sender of a text and/or the contents of the text read aloud to you when received. It also has the option to auto answer calls and/or read you the caller info so you can choose whether to receive it (I assume for those with bluetooth capabilities).

Just thought I would throw it out there for those who might use features like that. Personally, I would RARELY use the auto answer calls feature even if I did have a bluetooth helmet (which I don't), but I could see using the text message features.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #320
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Just thought I would throw it out there for those who might use features like that. Personally, I would RARELY use the auto answer calls feature even if I did have a bluetooth helmet (which I don't), but I could see using the text message features.
That seems like a different app to me. Interesting idea, but I think you could put that feature in a completely separate app and run both that app and DSM at the same time. I don't think there is a lot of overlap between the audience for my app and the audience for that app.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #321
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Just in case any of y'all didn't understand how it works, please let me give the opportunity to see it in action so you can comment with more clear idea of how it works. The is no better time to improve this while the code is all fresh in my mind so please send on your ideas.
Can that max speed arrow be turned off? Blanket speed limit of about 40mph on all firetrails in my state, and sometimes they do harass bikes about it.

Not that I would ever go over 40mph. Oh... and maybe the average speed arrow should be turned off too... not that i'd ever average over 40mph... *cough*

Also, is it accurate? What kinda math have you got to filter out invalid readings? I've noticed some of the poorly written iOS speedometers will occasionally jump to ridiculous speeds for a second or two, then drop back to the real speed. Max speed obviously doesn't work very well here.

The fuel gauge thing looks really good. Any chance it could be combined with a feature where you type in how much fuel you just topped the tank off with? I'm pretty sure your app could do a better job calculating my fuel consumption than i can.

This app is looking really good. I think I might be buying a secondhand phone on eBay soon, just so I can run it.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 09-16-2011 at 01:38 PM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #322
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

It's funny you mention that. The reason I made those pins so obtuse (unlabeled and no legend) was just so only people who need to know, know whats happening there. Does that make you feel any better?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #323
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Nice... I always wished my Garmin had an indicator of which direction my next turn was going to be and my closing distance to it. Now I have distance to it but don't see the direction until I am often times too close.
That feature has been on my list for a while. It is stubbed out in the code, I just haven't figure out how to do it yet.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #324
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Quote:
That feature has been on my list for a while. It is stubbed out in the code, I just haven't figure out how to do it yet.
Sweet.

I went and looked at the G-Zone Commando today. Nice phone but they didn't have any of the cradles for it. I kind of wanted to see them... and their price out the door was way off from what I was lead to believe it was going to be, no surprise Verizon.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #325
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Sweet.

I went and looked at the G-Zone Commando today. Nice phone but they didn't have any of the cradles for it. I kind of wanted to see them... and their price out the door was way off from what I was lead to believe it was going to be, no surprise Verizon.
Look for the Sony xperia active too. It is durable enough for our needs I think and looks like it is cheaper and less "over built". That may be false, but it's worth a look.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #326
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
BTW, if you are in the market for a new phone in the next 6 months or so this should be coming to the U.S.:
http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-...oid+Central%29

Or there is always the Casio G'zOne Commando:
http://www.androidcentral.com/casio-gzone-commando

After getting this GREAT app, the biggest PITA I am having is finding a good way to mount and weatherproof the phone. Would be nice to have a phone that was weather/dust proof on it's own.
Yes, and that is why I am leaning towards the Commando because in addition to dust and waterproofing it also stands up to vibrations. No box is going to do that for you though maybe with insurance and warranty's I am just over thinking it... being in the remote places we find ourselves is no place to wish you had a tougher phone...

Maybe even a rugged tablet is the way to go with a bigger screen and all but the early editions are way too expensive for me.

All of these will need a rugged mount as well and I haven't seen anything up to snuff yet. I think it will get here and I am excited to see it. I have been holding off on the Commando for months... It is probably a good thing I can't afford one... might luck out and see the perfect solution in the next generation but you could play that game the rest of your life and never get a valuable tool to use NOW.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:32 AM   #327
wtiger
Submariner

Oddometer: 143
wow!

I am on board! awesome app.
i got a pelican hard case for a iphone... (the i1015) and glued a ram mount base to it. it has a ear phone jack in it... now i just need to get power in there. i have the htc... fits pretty good.
wtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #328
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtiger View Post
I am on board! awesome app.
i got a pelican hard case for a iphone... (the i1015) and glued a ram mount base to it. it has a ear phone jack in it... now i just need to get power in there. i have the htc... fits pretty good.
Cool beans. I'd be careful about the glue though. I'm thinking that the vibration may make is lose it's grip. Also, check your dsm.com login settings on the app. I think your username is input wrong. There was a failed login error that matches to ADV handle pretty close.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #329
wtiger
Submariner

thanks, i think i got the dsm.com sorted out. that was me... On the case i used plastic epoxy, and it survived a grueling ride this past week, but i have been considering drilling it out to put some bolts in it. thanks also for the response!

wtiger screwed with this post 09-17-2011 at 10:14 AM
Old 09-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #330
wtiger
Submariner

bolts added!!!

here is what i got.