Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #661
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJourneyman View Post
Okay last thing sorry, is there anyway to calculate how many kms/miles a GPX file is? Trying to figure out how much fuel I should take :)
The website will tell you. Expand the track tree and the mileage appears.

I'm still trying to get the emulator working. Google's Android emulators are notoriously crappy. After restarting it 7 time, it took 3 minutes to open the app list and then froze again. I'm loosing my cool over here.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #662
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Okay last thing sorry, is there anyway to calculate how many kms/miles a GPX file is? Trying to figure out how much fuel I should take :)
Maybe something like gas station locations and their prices could be useful too.....
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #663
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Maybe something like gas station locations and their prices could be useful too.....
Gas locations is something on my to do list. I'd like to have a good POI database that can be used to add waypoints to maps on the website.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #664
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
... How would you ALL feel if these calibrated raster maps (the KMZ files out of Google Earth) were uploaded to the website so that they could be shared with other people? ....
That's a great idea! My initial objective was just to get the app on MY phone to accept the KMZ file from Google Earth, but it would be even better if these maps became shared on the main DSM website. There is a slight caveat with that in as much as a track is accurate whereas the raster map is only as good as the calibration process. When I used GE, some of my JPGs were easy to calibrate as they had prominent features that lined up with GE, but maps that were in heavily forested areas had few features to align.

I agree that the main use of this feature is for off-road areas where often the only road/trail/track data is on a printed map. I collected a full set of paper maps for Pennsylvania State Forests and they have a great collection of roads/trail for DualSport riding. I spent several months converting these to a "GPS map" whereas if I could have used raster maps it would have been a 10 minute job. Here's an example of the detail available on PA Forests: map.

When I ride in Tucson over the winter, all I need is satellite maps as all the desert trails are visible from the air. Back in Ontario, I can't see any of my trails on the sat pics as it's forested almost everywhere we ride. That's why this paper-map-to-GPS-map feature is important to me.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #665
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

We are seeing eye to eye on this. More food for thought. Let me get our Aussie friend sorted and tomorrow I'll rough out the phone side of this new feature tomorrow so you will have time to consider going back to Garmin. I really want to save you the $400 if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
That's a great idea! My initial objective was just to get the app on MY phone to accept the KMZ file from Google Earth, but it would be even better if these maps became shared on the main DSM website. There is a slight caveat with that in as much as a track is accurate whereas the raster map is only as good as the calibration process. When I used GE, some of my JPGs were easy to calibrate as they had prominent features that lined up with GE, but maps that were in heavily forested areas had few features to align.

I agree that the main use of this feature is for off-road areas where often the only road/trail/track data is on a printed map. I collected a full set of paper maps for Pennsylvania State Forests and they have a great collection of roads/trail for DualSport riding. I spent several months converting these to a "GPS map" whereas if I could have used raster maps it would have been a 10 minute job. Here's an example of the detail available on PA Forests: map.

When I ride in Tucson over the winter, all I need is satellite maps as all the desert trails are visible from the air. Back in Ontario, I can't see any of my trails on the sat pics as it's forested almost everywhere we ride. That's why this paper-map-to-GPS-map feature is important to me.

Bob
Old 11-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #666
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

SAJourneyman, I've figured out the problem. Honeycomb does not allow network connections on the main thread of a process because they can be slow and make the device appear to lock up. This is a good thing in general. In this apps case, I am creating a service that is running in the background and I am actually wanting it to block (as the service has no UI of its own there is no possibility of it hanging anything) until the download is complete at which point it tells the UI to display the new maps. I have figured out a solution and will do a bunch of testing to verify all is well and then release the update. Expect it by Monday. I've been screwing with the code a lot and I want to make sure it working well before I put out a fix prematurely. Sorry for the delay.

Thank you for posting up all those tracks, AWESOME!

Proof that it is working.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #667
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
SAJourneyman, I've figured out the problem. Honeycomb does not allow network connections on the main thread of a process because they can be slow and make the device appear to lock up. This is a good thing in general. In this apps case, I am creating a service that is running in the background and I am actually wanting it to block (as the service has no UI of its own there is no possibility of it hanging anything) until the download is complete at which point it tells the UI to display the new maps. I have figured out a solution and will do a bunch of testing to verify all is well and then release the update. Expect it by Monday. I've been screwing with the code a lot and I want to make sure it working well before I put out a fix prematurely. Sorry for the delay.

Thank you for posting up all those tracks, AWESOME!

Proof that it is working.
No worries at all, I bought this app so that I could visit those tracks, real credit should go to weekendwarriors.com.au who post them on their website for free, all I did was convert them from GDB to GPX.

Also thanks for your timely support, I'm impressed!

Quote:
I've been screwing with the code a lot and I want to make sure it working well before I put out a fix prematurely. Sorry for the delay.
I can't ride until Saturday anyway :)
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #668
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Raster Maps will be happening

Bob and friends. I've spent the day working on uploadable raster maps for the app at Bob's request. He was thinking about burning $400 on a Garmin Montana for this feature and I'd prefer he keep his money so I figured out how to do it.

At present, I have a rather rough sketch in my head on how it will be implemented and there will need to be some significant changes to both the app and the website in order to bring this new feature to y'all. The good news is that it can and will happen and I will say that it will be done before Christmas.

Bob posted up a map of a state park in PA. He also emailed me a georeferenced version of it. Here are screen captures from the app that show his map.

Full view of Bob's map.

Same area only with Google's tile.

Zoomed in area of Bob's map.

Same area with USGS tiles.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #669
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I can see how it could be useful. I don't think I'd have any need, what with Google maps, satellite, and terrain for the US and most of Mexico.

What's an example of where this would ne needed?
Topo maps?

Never been to the US.
Must get around to it one day.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #670
BobM
DualSport

Quote:
... At present, I have a rather rough sketch in my head on how it will be implemented and there will need to be some significant changes to both the app and the website in order to bring this new feature to y'all. The good news is that it can and will happen and I will say that it will be done before Christmas. ,,,
I'm impressed with the progress you've made - didn't mean to wreck your weekend!

You seem confident you can achieve this so that's good enough for me - I'll hold off on the special deal on the Montana.

I've got lots of spare time if you want me do do any testing or KMZ production, calibration, etc.

Thanks
Bob
Old 11-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #671
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Bob, I've improved on your method of capturing the maps and upscaled the resolution quite a bit. Compare these to the image of the same spot I posted above.

Same as above, only zoomed in and shown in perspective mode.

Same spot as above, only this is a the USGS Topo map.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #672
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

App Update Released: 0.1.18

I updated the app this morning to fix the issue with Honeycomb tablets not being able to download tracks. While I was in the code I also fixed an issue with the Weather Layer that could cause the program to act sluggishly. It is in the Market and available for update. If you see any problems please alert me right away, thank you.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #673
BobM
DualSport

Quote:
Bob, I've improved on your method of capturing the maps and upscaled the resolution quite a bit. Compare these to the image of the same spot I posted above.

That's REALLY impressive! I'd say it's better resolution than I got on the Garmin 62s.

I made 4 maps and I noticed that the zoom level where the map first appeared on the GPS varied from map to map. Also the zoom level at which the detail became unusable varied likewise. In one case, the Bald Eagle map above, it caused an error on the 62s and would not load - it was over 9MB. I believe it's based on the amount of land area the paper map covers as most start off with an 8"x11" format, so a pixel will represent different distances.

I can help in the testing if you want.

Thanks
Bob
Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #674
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
I updated the app this morning to fix the issue with Honeycomb tablets not being able to download tracks. While I was in the code I also fixed an issue with the Weather Layer that could cause the program to act sluggishly. It is in the Market and available for update. If you see any problems please alert me right away, thank you.
Thanks! Look forward to taking this out on the weekend.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #675
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Thanks! Look forward to taking this out on the weekend.
Please let me know if it works for you. It does work on my emulator. I don't own a tablet...