Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #766
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuana View Post
My i1 Android 1.6 is not supported and the NEW Nextel Titanium with Andoid 2.1 is not either. I guess I am SOL until Nextel upgrades Android? Other than buy a Rhino, what are my alternatives?

Are there any services within dualsportmaps available to Android 1.6 or none at all?
I set the support level at 2.2 to exclude phones with low memory heap available. 2.2 phones generally allow 32MB of heap to apps. ICS allows 128MB.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #767
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,167
Quote:
My i1 Android 1.6 is not supported and the NEW Nextel Titanium with Andoid 2.1 is not either. I guess I am SOL until Nextel upgrades Android? Other than buy a Rhino, what are my alternatives?

Are there any services within dualsportmaps available to Android 1.6 or none at all?
The alternative, though MUCH more complicated, is create the track in Google Earth, export to kml, import to google maps as a "my maps", load it into google maps on the phone, and because GM 5.0 caches tiles, manually scroll through the track at the desired zoom levels and have them for offline use. Or, find a used phone on CL for ~25$ like I did. But make sure the GPS is a real GPS and not aGPS. I bought a phone just for the bike, but the GPS is fake.

Edit: 1.6 doesn't support offline cacheing apparently. You're F'ed bud. Just follow me.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:48 AM   #768
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
The alternative, though MUCH more complicated, is create the track in Google Earth, export to kml, import to google maps as a "my maps", load it into google maps on the phone, and because GM 5.0 caches tiles, manually scroll through the track at the desired zoom levels and have them for offline use. Or, find a used phone on CL for ~25$ like I did. But make sure the GPS is a real GPS and not aGPS. I bought a phone just for the bike, but the GPS is fake.

Edit: 1.6 doesn't support offline cacheing apparently. You're F'ed bud. Just follow me.
beechum1 is on the right track. Try to find a compatible device on the cheap and use it. I got a Droid X with a broken screen for free and the new screen only cost me $20. I had to install it myself though.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #769
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Website Update and remote news

I updated the website, implementing n9udl's idea about linking and embedding maps with either the default view or the linkers current view. Below is a map embedded with a very high zoom and a specific map selected. You can also specify overlays during this process.

EDIT: BTW thank you n9udl for the good idea. Keep them ideas coming...

emerson.biguns sent me a built up electronic prototype the day before I split town for x-mas vaca. I installed the firmware this evening and the results were positive. If talks to my phone and responds as expected. We are modifying one of the 3 boards because of an assembly issue. I'll be testing this new version on the bike in a few weeks. I'm sorry this is so slow, but without burning mountains of cash we just have to take our time. Each modification takes weeks to get back from the factory...

craftycoder screwed with this post 12-27-2011 at 06:28 PM
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #770
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Website Update

I updated the website to allow more flexible overlay uploading. You can now upload overlays that contain multiple images and the images can be either JPG or PNG. The format for geo-referenced overlay uploads is still Google Earth KMZ files. It is free and has handy tools for doing the geo-referencing. Some maps are difficult to reference accurately enough because of projection issues, so splitting the image into smaller pieces and referencing each of those was a requested feature. The process is the same as before, except that you create a folder in Google Earth and put all your Image Overlays in it before you export the KMZ file. Here are example overlays that combined two images.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #771
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 306
Trouble accessing maps for offline use

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Installing the app on a new device taught me something you guys ought to know. When you first start up the app, I nag you to download vector maps. Make sure you download a "World Base Map" among the other maps you download. ....
It's a while since I installed my app, but I decided to change my basemap (originally selected Mapnik) but when I go into Settings/Data for offline usage/Download vector maps I get an error: "The list of regions was not retrieved from osmand.googlecode.com". Tried many times with same result. I'm using DSM 0.2.07 Osmand 0.6.3 and Android 2.3.4 and logged into my WiFi and DSM. I can still access DSM's overlay map downloads.

Is there a problem with the app or with googlecode?

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #772
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
.... Some maps are difficult to reference accurately enough because of projection issues, so splitting the image into smaller pieces and referencing each of those was a requested feature. The process is the same as before, except that you create a folder in Google Earth and put all your Image Overlays in it before you export the KMZ file. Here are example overlays that combined two images. ....
This is a great new option for map overlays - thanks for all the effort you've put in.

My major issue is still with geo-referencing the JPG in Google Earth. It's mainly beacause the areas I want to use are heavily forested and GE doesn't really show roads until you are zoomed in quite close. It would be much better if I could use a program with a road-based map.

Any suggestions?

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #773
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 203
where can I get a screen for cheap? my i1 is cracked?
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #774
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
It's a while since I installed my app, but I decided to change my basemap (originally selected Mapnik) but when I go into Settings/Data for offline usage/Download vector maps I get an error: "The list of regions was not retrieved from osmand.googlecode.com". Tried many times with same result. I'm using DSM 0.2.07 Osmand 0.6.3 and Android 2.3.4 and logged into my WiFi and DSM. I can still access DSM's overlay map downloads.

Is there a problem with the app or with googlecode?

Bob
Same issue here. Must be some issue with the link up to the google code site. Any word on this Crafty?

I would download them from the google code site and upload to the phone manually but I am not sure where they go or what directory structure is supposed to be.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #775
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
where can I get a screen for cheap? my i1 is cracked?
Fleabay is usually the best place for cheap screens.

2013 V-Strom
Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #776
tijuana
Farkling Around

SIM card?

i was told that without a sim card, the menus may not be accessible on a droid. Do i need a Sim card so a DROID X or the application works properly?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #777
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
i was told that without a sim card, the menus may not be accessible on a droid. Do i need a Sim card so a DROID X or the application works properly?
Well, you will need a MicroSD card (SIM card is something different) for the app to use offline maps because that is where they are stored. However, your DroidX should already a have one.

EDIT: Even that is not necessarily true. You could probably use internal storage, but why?

2013 V-Strom
Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #778
tijuana
Farkling Around

working on setting up a droid soon, to start logging our tours here in Baja. Come for a day or a year, we have a bike and trails, tacos and beer!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #779
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I can confirm the map server is offline. I cannot fix it at the moment as I am deep in the sticks with only my phone. I urge you to copy the maps from your primary phone to your secondary one until I can get it fixed. probably Thursday.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #780
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
This is a great new option for map overlays - thanks for all the effort you've put in.

My major issue is still with geo-referencing the JPG in Google Earth. It's mainly beacause the areas I want to use are heavily forested and GE doesn't really show roads until you are zoomed in quite close. It would be much better if I could use a program with a road-based map.

Any suggestions?

Bob
Works for me now, FYI. Must have been a problem with the site.

2013 V-Strom