Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #781
Strega
Black is a color

Oddometer: 474
Would something like this work for the non GPS or aGPS enabled devices? I just bought one of these for my dad to use with his iPad2 and the Foreflight software while flying. It links to the device via bluetooth, no cable.

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/16597/

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Duties: [D37 - GPS Coordinator][C.O.R.E - VP / Site Admin]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]

Strega screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 11:38 AM
Strega is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #782
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,219
It is possible to slave the software to a Bluetooth GPS. I've not done it, but others have. Chime in if you have please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega View Post
Would something like this work for the non GPS enabled devices? I just bought one of these for my dad to use with his iPad2 and the Foreflight software while flying. It links to the device via bluetooth, no cable.

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/16597/

craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #783
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,615
Curious thing going on...

I uploaded a GPX file to the website a few days (maybe a week) ago and all my waypoint's came with it.

I have since edited the route, deleted the old one and am now trying to upload the new but my waypoints are no longer coming through. I checked the file in a text editor and all the waypoint's are still there.

Any idea Crafty?

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #784
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Im having some issues with the web site. When I drill down on my route the maps wont display.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #785
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 313
Has the URL changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I can confirm the map server is offline. ....
... or have they changed the URL? I tried to access osmand.googlecode.com and arrived at code.google.com and the osm maps appear to be at http://code.google.com/p/osmand/downloads/list.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #786
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

That sounds normal. Uploading an updated GPX file overwrites the waypoints and tracks of the current map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Curious thing going on...

I uploaded a GPX file to the website a few days (maybe a week) ago and all my waypoint's came with it.

I have since edited the route, deleted the old one and am now trying to upload the new but my waypoints are no longer coming through. I checked the file in a text editor and all the waypoint's are still there.

Any idea Crafty?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #787
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
Im having some issues with the web site. When I drill down on my route the maps wont display.
Are you talking about an overlay map that won't display? The available zoom levels available match only what is uploaded. If a low res map is uploaded a not many zoom levels are available. Please be MUCH more specific.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #788
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Within 5 minutes of my posting the confirmation, the map server was back online. It was probably just being updated with fresh maps. It is being refreshed frequently, but the process takes it offline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
... or have they changed the URL? I tried to access osmand.googlecode.com and arrived at code.google.com and the osm maps appear to be at http://code.google.com/p/osmand/downloads/list.

Bob

craftycoder screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 04:26 PM
Old 01-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #789
BobM
DualSport

Downloading maps for offline use

Crafty - can you explain how this works? When I first set up the app, I thought I'd selected Mapnik as my basemap. I use the app with that selected, but when I recently panned to a different Province, there was no map detail (I was offline). When I connected to the wi-fi, the detail downloaded which leads me to think that I don't have a fully detailed map for N America, as I thought I had.

So, my question is: How do I get off-line access to any specific mapset (or satellite images) for a specific area?

I know I can select Tracks on DSM (what you call Maps) and then download maps (what you call Tiles), but I can't see how to get these tiles if there are no tracks for an area I intend to ride.

Bob
Old 01-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #790
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

This is what the vector maps are for. If you insist on using tiles, refer to this, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Crafty - can you explain how this works? When I first set up the app, I thought I'd selected Mapnik as my basemap. I use the app with that selected, but when I recently panned to a different Province, there was no map detail (I was offline). When I connected to the wi-fi, the detail downloaded which leads me to think that I don't have a fully detailed map for N America, as I thought I had.

So, my question is: How do I get off-line access to any specific mapset (or satellite images) for a specific area?

I know I can select Tracks on DSM (what you call Maps) and then download maps (what you call Tiles), but I can't see how to get these tiles if there are no tracks for an area I intend to ride.

Bob
Old 01-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #791
BobM
DualSport

Downloading maps for off-line use

Quote:
This is what the vector maps are for. If you insist on using tiles, refer to this, but don't say I didn't warn you.
"This" =
Quote:
: ....
The preferred method is to specify a DSM map and cache just the tiles under the tracks as shown in the videos. Another method is to zoom over an area on the map screen, then Menu => More => Point Options => Download Map. This is the grab everything method but it is not ideal because the volumes of tiles grabbed will get you banned from every map server I know of. YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD MAPS EVER AGAIN ON THAT INTERNET CONNECTION IF YOU USE THIS FEATURE. NO MORE GOOGLE MAPS EVER AGAIN. BE WARNED, THIS IS A DANGEROUS TOOL. If you choose to use it anyway, do not zoom in too far. Unlike the preferred method, I do not purposefully slow down the download speeds because it would take a lifetime to download California at the snails pace (but safe pace) I use to cache a ride.
Sorry, I missed that post and I never thought of looking under "Point Options" to download off-line maps.

Just so I understand what your are saying - I need to download Vector maps for the areas where I want to use the app so that I have off-line maps? By selecting Mapnik, it seems I only get maps when I have a network connection.

If this is correct, then it means I'll need a lot of space to download what I need, and I've only got 100Mb lefty on my 8GB mSD card. Going back to an e-mail discussion we had a while back - it seems Android V2.3.4 (as on my phone) is preloaded with 4GB of Google maps for N America. With your crafty coding skills, surely it can't be too difficult to access these maps?

BTW, I bought a RAM AquaBox yesterday in size medium (as reommended by RAM for my HTC Sensation) but there's no way I can hook up a power connection to the micro USB port with a standard cable. I found a 90 deg cable online but doubt there's even space for that. How do you get your cables into your phone for the remote?

Thanks.
Bob
Old 01-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #792
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,062
Bob, There is plenty within DSM that I don't do correctly, I'm sure, but I have to change my basemap to OSM Vector Maps in order to see mapdata while offline.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #793
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The vector maps are smaller than the tiles by a fair margin. As for using your fancy Google data, I don't think that's happening. Without general access to those data I don't see the utility in it.

I don't like the aquabox myself. I tried it, but found that it was too insulating and caused heat issues with the phone. I went with a otter box instead. Its water resistant rather than water proof and that will have to do. If the weather turns real bad, we will have to pull out the aquabox and use it in the short term.

I posted an aquabox video a few months ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F3atp1_BAk
I recently posted the otter box video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pZKam3u20A
Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #794
BobM
DualSport

Quote:
The vector maps are smaller than the tiles by a fair margin. As for using your fancy Google data, I don't think that's happening. Without general access to those data I don't see the utility in it.
I think I gave you bad info on the Google maps pre-installed in Android 2.3.4. I've been poking around tonight and I think the 4GB of map data are actually NavTeq maps and are part of a pre-installed (but non-functioning) TeleNav Navigator app that costs $$$ to unlock. I found that the Google maps actually need a network connection and only caches a pre-set amount of data as you scroll around the map. This cache is overwrittenwhen you access more new data than the cache size. I've renamed the 4GB map data folder and Google maps still works so I can probably delete it as I'm not paying for the Navigator app when I have 4 Garmin GPS plus the DSM app.

Quote:
I don't like the aquabox myself. I tried it, but found that it was too insulating and caused heat issues with the phone. I went with a otter box instead. Its water resistant rather than water proof and that will have to do. If the weather turns real bad, we will have to pull out the aquabox and use it in the short term.

I posted an aquabox video a few months ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F3atp1_BAk
I recently posted the otter box video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pZKam3u20A
I saw those videos previously but didn't notice the mUSB connector on your phone is at the bottom where there's extra space. Mine is on the side where there's no space. Guess the Aquabox won't work for me, especially if it causes the phone to overheat.

The Otter box video seems to just be an exterior protector without any sealing. The screen, speakers, etc all seem to be exposed - just the same as on my Roots Protector. I know Otterbox makes waterproof boxes but all the one's I saw were closed boxes.

Bob
Old 01-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #795
BobM
DualSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Bob, There is plenty within DSM that I don't do correctly, I'm sure, but I have to change my basemap to OSM Vector Maps in order to see mapdata while offline.
I'm sure many of us don't understand DSM correctly yet. The videos are a good start but it isn't retained for me like reading a detailed User Manual is. Without the documentation, it's mainly trial and error for me.

I don't think it's necessary to have vector maps as your basemap so as to see it offline, it seems to depend if you've looked at that area in another map (Mapnik, Google, Satellite, etc) while you were online. I didn't download ANY vector maps initially and I seleted Mapnik (not sure why) and it showed all the detail I needed, but I must have been online at the time. Seems like I can still access it when offline as the tiles were cached. At least, I assume this is what happened.

I've now downloaded Ontario, Canada osm vector maps and can zoom into "new" areas that don't work with Mapnik as the basemap, so now I need to free up more space for the large mapset I need for my "regular" riding i.e. almost anywhere in N. America

Bob