Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #856
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,215
I will have cheaper and smaller ones coming as soon as I can figure out how to get the cost down. Volume is key to the cheaper part. There are just not enough of you guys to get the cost down to where I want it so I am trying to develop other markets so we can have our gizmo at a price we'd be willing to pay for it. I'm having fun developing the remote, my first gizmo, and it providers a valuable function for me, but at $200 it is not a "value". Once I finish my process for determining the cheapest way I can make these without going broke I'll take orders.

The parts for this unit in question were purchased for a buddy who found out his phone wouldn't be upgraded by his carrier so as to be compatible. So now I'm sitting on a half built of remote. I'd like it to go to someone nearby so we can get together if need be to solve problems that may occur. Mine has been rock solid so far but close proximity makes me feel better for the second device in the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
It is a sucky time to be poor... I wanted that...
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #857
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
...... I am trying to develop other markets so we can have our gizmo at a price we'd be willing to pay for it.
Was the roadbook controller idea not going to pan out?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #858
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Was the roadbook controller idea not going to pan out?
It's the same controller. I need to develop the roadbook first, using the remote with it will be trivial. Designing and building the system to create, transfer, and display the roadbooks on the phone are the hard part. It's real hard actually. Hence the delay.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #859
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,493
Quote:
It's the same controller. I need to develop the roadbook first, using the remote with it will be trivial. Designing and building the system to create, transfer, and display the roadbooks on the phone are the hard part. It's real hard actually. Hence the delay.
mmm, makes sense. Good luck and thanks for all the time and energy into these projects.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #860
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,522
Quote:

This is actually an idea I wanted to talk to you about... an app or addition to let you scan or take pics of the chart or road book and use your phone like a road book. Being able to high-lite or notate it would truly rock and using it with the remote would be fantastic.
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #861
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,839
Quote:
On Thursday some parts for the second (and last) old style remote are coming in. I'm going to build it up. I've got $200 in it. It is yours at cost if you are interested and willing to come to ATL test it out before you take it home. It is the same one I have on my bike. I do not know if your phone is compatible with it in the stock configuration, but Cyanogenmod 7 for your phone does work according to the source code for the latest stable build I just parsed. I won't be certain until you have a chance to try it out on your hardware, but I'm confident that it will work for you if you install CM7. This model of remote was built as a test bed and is bigger and less refined than the final version will be.
Let me thinking on that. I've got some Amateur radio gear I was looking at buying. And I've yet to look at any of those cases or something to carry the phone on the bars of my bike. Gotta figure out what would work for that?

I did buy the app last night and put it on both my phones and my HP touchpad running Android. I like it, but still have a lot to learn about it. It did crash several times on my tablet, but I'm going to chalk that up to the fact its running a Cyanogen mod 7 "Alpha" so its still got plenty of bugs in it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #862
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
This is actually an idea I wanted to talk to you about... an app or addition to let you scan or take pics of the chart or road book and use your phone like a road book. Being able to high-lite or notate it would truly rock and using it with the remote would be fantastic.
Have a play with the "RollChart" app.
May give Crafty some ideas too.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 PM   #863
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Have a play with the "RollChart" app.
May give Crafty some ideas too.
That is what I had in mind... only with Craftycoders awsomeness bundled in...
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #864
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,605
BTW this app does work with the Kyocera Echo with the tablet mode extension app.

I am now rocking Crafty's sweet app on a 4.7" tablet that I paid $80 for (these phones were unpopular, but have huge screens).

http://echobykyocera.com/

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #865
Strega
Black is a color

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
BTW this app does work with the Kyocera Echo with the tablet mode extension app.

I am now rocking Crafty's sweet app on a 4.7" tablet that I paid $80 for (these phones were unpopular, but have huge screens).

http://echobykyocera.com/
How's that thing gonna fair in the weather? I like where this is going...

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 R]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Duties: [D37 - GPS Coordinator][C.O.R.E - VP / Site Admin]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #866
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega View Post
How's that thing gonna fair in the weather? I like where this is going...
Well, as weather proof as any non-ruggedized android phone I imagine. I plan to use a ziploc bag to seal it (yellow and blue makes green!).

I'll report back. The hardest part will be figuring out how to mount it. Might take some redneck engineering.

2013 V-Strom
Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #867
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Sony's weatherproof phone is looking pretty good. It's small and light.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #868
Strega
Black is a color

Oddometer: 471
That looks great!

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 R]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Duties: [D37 - GPS Coordinator][C.O.R.E - VP / Site Admin]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #869
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega View Post
That looks great!
Yep, very nice Crafty.

2013 V-Strom
Old 02-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #870
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

It's not my phone. It was mailed to me so I could make sure the remote was going to work before both went back out to him. This means that remote number 2 has been taken.

On that topic of the remote, I've been discussing tooling with some machinists and have come to determination that injection molding is not in my future. That means that we are back to 3D printed enclosures or CNCed aluminum. Aluminum is the direction I'm leaning. I need to redesign the enclosure with that material in mind and I'll have prices on those in a few weeks. That is the last step in the process.