Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #916
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Link up the map from the website and tell me EXACTLY where were you when it disappeared? I'd like to see if I can reproduce it. I made a lot of changes in the last version to improve performance. It is possible I introduced a some negative outcomes as a result. Unless you can reproduce it from home and share with me an exact procedure to reproduce it on my side, it will be difficult or impossible to narrow it down though. I suggest adjusting the zoom out when that happens as well to see if you can see the track then.

The auto volume is unrelated I am sure. Is likely to act strangely when hovering right around the cut off speed witch is now 16ish MPH.
when I zoom out, I no longer autoscroll with my position. SHould I be?

I'm going through some of the settings, the "Auto zoom map"... could that have had somethign to do with 1st gear turns,and 5th gear straigts affecting my zoom level, and going back and forth.... I'll check that out too.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #917
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
when I zoom out, I no longer autoscroll with my position. SHould I be?
Auto scrolling is only a function of the screen being centered on your location, it has nothing to do with zoom. If you are not auto scrolling, tap the blue arrow that appears just below the upper right corner of the screen when you are not centered over yourself. I've noticed that somethings that arrow isn't visible, but you can still tap where it ought to be and you will be centered. You can also menu=>where am i to center yourself and therefore turn autoscrolling back on.
craftycoder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #918
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Auto scrolling is only a function of the screen being centered on your location, it has nothing to do with zoom. If you are not auto scrolling, tap the blue arrow that appears just below the upper right corner of the screen when you are not centered over yourself. I've noticed that somethings that arrow isn't visible, but you can still tap where it ought to be and you will be centered. You can also menu=>where am i to center yourself and therefore turn autoscrolling back on.
more to the point, I want to scroll when zoomed out to 10 perhaps, and then zoom back in to 15, all while auto scrolling.

Everytime I scrolled out to see the bigger picture, I would not be following my position until I "where am I."

and I may have edited my previous after you repied....

"I'm going through some of the settings, the "Auto zoom map"... could that have had somethign to do with 1st gear turns,and 5th gear straigts affecting my zoom level, and going back and forth.... I'll check that out too."
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #919
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Quote:
more to the point, I want to scroll when zoomed out to 10 perhaps, and then zoom back in to 15, all while auto scrolling.

Everytime I scrolled out to see the bigger picture, I would not be following my position until I "where am I."

and I may have edited my previous after you repied....

"I'm going through some of the settings, the "Auto zoom map"... could that have had somethign to do with 1st gear turns,and 5th gear straigts affecting my zoom level, and going back and forth.... I'll check that out too."
Changing zooms should not affect it. I'm pretty sure it does not on any of my units, but I will have to verify again just to be certain.

Auto zoom map affects the zoom based on your speed. That is exactly why you are experiencing that, its a feature
Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #920
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Changing zooms should not affect it. I'm pretty sure it does not on any of my units, but I will have to verify again just to be certain.

Auto zoom map affects the zoom based on your speed. That is exactly why you are experiencing that, its a feature
alrighty then. Problem solved. I'll come back if I have something to report.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #921
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Quote:
alrighty then. Problem solved. I'll come back if I have something to report.
I cannot reproduce the zoom changing turning off the "auto scrolling". Is it possible that you are moving the map while reaching for the zoom?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #922
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I cannot reproduce the zoom changing turning off the "auto scrolling". Is it possible that you are moving the map while reaching for the zoom?
it's possible. I had gloves on....
Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #923
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Quote:
it's possible. I had gloves on....
And that's why I want to get you guys outfitted with remotes. I don't have to touch the screen to change zoom, location, bearing, volume, recenter the map on me (where am i), or set a waypoint. It's pretty cool.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #924
Drabnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
I also experience the auto scroll turning off if I zoom in or out, and always have? I use the where am I to get it back on. (also have auto zoom on)

I was on my private map "route to quallcomm" and we were on the Del Dios Highway(S6/S8) just past Lake Hodges, we missed the turn onto Via De La Valle so I assume it went out somewhere around there. I did try to zoom out to find the route but no luck. When we stopped to figure out where we missed the turn, the route came back and we attempted to get back to it, which failed miserably because the route disappeared again shortly after we started going.

That's what makes me think its bogging down because it seems to not be working right when the map is in motion...

As for the volume, no hovering near 16, was doing 60 then down to 0 then back to 60 etc

I also just noticed my setting to keep my position on the map to the bottom, keeps being changed back to center
Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #925
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

I am able to reproduce your track disappearing at that same turn also. This is a new problem I introduced on Friday I think. I'll get it figured out and an update posted. It only does it in perspective mode for me, I assume it is the same for you, but regardless I will get it figured out.

As I said before I cannot reproduce that zoom taking you off scroll mode. I'll see if I can fix it based on how I imagine it might be "breaking". It must be specific to your devices as opposed to a generic issue.

The position on map to bottom resetting is purposeful. I was having a problem with that feature 6 months ago and that was my short term fix (lame, I know). I'll put a long term fix for that on the list. I'd forgotten about it...

I'll look at the volume thing, but its hard to test at my desk though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabnor View Post
I also experience the auto scroll turning off if I zoom in or out, and always have? I use the where am I to get it back on. (also have auto zoom on)

I was on my private map "route to quallcomm" and we were on the Del Dios Highway(S6/S8) just past Lake Hodges, we missed the turn onto Via De La Valle so I assume it went out somewhere around there. I did try to zoom out to find the route but no luck. When we stopped to figure out where we missed the turn, the route came back and we attempted to get back to it, which failed miserably because the route disappeared again shortly after we started going.

That's what makes me think its bogging down because it seems to not be working right when the map is in motion...

As for the volume, no hovering near 16, was doing 60 then down to 0 then back to 60 etc

I also just noticed my setting to keep my position on the map to the bottom, keeps being changed back to center
Old 02-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #926
Drabnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
I am able to reproduce your track disappearing at that same turn also. This is a new problem I introduced on Friday I think. I'll get it figured out and an update posted. It only does it in perspective mode for me, I assume it is the same for you, but regardless I will get it figured out.

As I said before I cannot reproduce that zoom taking you off scroll mode. I'll see if I can fix it based on how I imagine it might be "breaking". It must be specific to your devices as opposed to a generic issue.

The position on map to bottom resetting is purposeful. I was having a problem with that feature 6 months ago and that was my short term fix (lame, I know). I'll put a long term fix for that on the list. I'd forgotten about it...

I'll look at the volume thing, but its hard to test at my desk though...
it also disappeared in a few other spots, that was the one I remembered best though...

the zoom thing isn't a big deal, and I might be moving the map also but I'll try again just to be sure

thanks again for the support!!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #927
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Alright, I figured a few things out. First off, I solved the line rendering issue Drabnor found. I was never able to reproduce it with any other track, but I solved it by implementing a track painting strategy I had already designed in my head but was too mentally fatigued to implement on Friday night.

Secondly, the Auto Volume stuff could have been affected by fast acceleration or deceleration because of the inherit latency associated with GPS signals. I put a few timers in there to try to balance it out and make it a bit more responsive to changes in speed. When it was set to 30MPH instead of 16MPH it was less susceptible to this problem (as it took longer to go from 0 to that switch point).

Thirdly, the problem with auto scrolling has been "solved". When you have Auto Zoom on, changing the zoom turns off auto scrolling (because it assumes its in charge of zooming and if you did it you must want to take over). Turn off auto zoom if you want auto scrolling to keep working after you adjust the zoom.

I'm going to do some more testing to make sure I didn't break anything and then post up an update. Thank you very much for help.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #928
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

App Update Released: 0.2.13

Update released that fixed the rendering bug Drabnor found and improved the auto-volume for people who like to use a lot of throttle.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #929
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
More WP cases

This may be another avenue for waterproofing phones...

More here:

http://www.pinewayasia.com/Aqualife.php

Looks like a good solution, more water protection than most other cases. The only concerns I have is that it doesn't look like it has a pass through for power + audio cabling. There may be enough room to rig something though...

Heat buildup and overheating would be another concern.
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #930
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

App Update Released: 0.2.14

Ok, 0.2.13 was a dud. I tried to add a clever little new feature and I didn't notice how it failed until after I posted it. I've got a new update up. If you have 0.2.13, update your app.