Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #1096
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDave View Post
Don't know much about this new technology, but could be an option to waterproof an existing phone that you want to use dualsportmaps on. Plan on getting my Motorola Photon waterproofed by Liquipel.

http://www.liquipel.com/

http://www.hzoinside.com/

http://www.p2i.com/
Liquipel, looks promising, how long does the coating last, I wonder?
HzO, not available to consumers, only future production.
P2i, once again, not available to consumers.

With all of these, the protection is provided by a nano coating, and it's asking a lot to hope that the coating will be uniform and long lasting. Keep in mind that these products do not prevent the ingress of water, only that that the water will not damage components. Any debris, sand, or contamination the water carries into your device may or may not leave when the water does. My feeling is that it won't. If you only come in contact with clean, clear water and only occasionally, it might work ok. But, combine a dusty road with a damp device, and you might start having problems. Or, an already dusty device driven in the rain might introduce small particles into the device. How long will your coating last once it's been in contact with abrasive materials?
Having said that, I am definitely interested in having something dipped.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #1097
Señor Squirrel
AKA TTDave

Oddometer: 221
Got a response back from Liquipel and they don't support my phone currently and don't know when they/if they will. If they receive enough inquiries about certain phones that aren't on their list they probably have more incentive to test the phone to see if their process will work.

The other two companies are only working with phone manufacturers it looks like. They want their product done at the phone factories. I hope some of the big phone manufacturers license one of these products so that we have a larger selection of waterproof phones.

Back to the drawing board.

Quote:
Don't know much about this new technology, but could be an option to waterproof an existing phone that you want to use dualsportmaps on. Plan on getting my Motorola Photon waterproofed by Liquipel.

http://www.liquipel.com/

http://www.hzoinside.com/

http://www.p2i.com/
Señor Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #1098
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,219
Thanks for posting it up though. They do take one of my phones... thinking about it!
Quote:
Back to the drawing board.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #1099
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,360
reviews on you tube for that.. mixed results!

:)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #1100
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,833
Is there support for ICS? For some reason my phone is incompatible with this. I HATE that google big brother BS telling me what my phone can and cannot do when they really don't know what it can and cannot do.

I'm running AOKP ICS on a Bionic at 220 screen resloution. So far nothing has not run with it except for google play....because my phone is not a recognized version for that model..
Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #1101
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

It definitely supports ICS. I don't know if 220 is large or small resolution (you didn't include a unit or a second dimension so I don't follow). If that is small then that may be an issue. I support pretty small screens but I don't recall how small I went. I support VERY high res screen for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merickk View Post
Is there support for ICS? For some reason my phone is incompatible with this. I HATE that google big brother BS telling me what my phone can and cannot do when they really don't know what it can and cannot do.

I'm running AOKP ICS on a Bionic at 220 screen resloution. So far nothing has not run with it except for google play....because my phone is not a recognized version for that model..
Old 04-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #1102
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
It definitely supports ICS. I don't know if 220 is large or small resolution (you didn't include a unit or a second dimension so I don't follow). If that is small then that may be an issue. I support pretty small screens but I don't recall how small I went. I support VERY high res screen for sure.
It's normally 240, but I went a little smaller. Though I did try to reset it. and it still won't show up in play.

Other progams such as Backcountry Navagator does though.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #1103
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I can't really guess why it isn't working. I allow "SMALL" screens as defined by Google. I'm assuming your device is sufficiently non standard as to confuse Ms. Google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merickk View Post
It's normally 240, but I went a little smaller. Though I did try to reset it. and it still won't show up in play.

Other progams such as Backcountry Navagator does though.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #1104
David_in_TX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I'm a little concerned about the sunlight readability of my phone. I have a HTC Inspire 4G with a big screen, but I have had a hard time seeing it in the daylight. Has anyone else had this problem?

http://www.facebook.com/David.Roy.Nichols
David_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #1105
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_in_TX View Post
I'm a little concerned about the sunlight readability of my phone. I have a HTC Inspire 4G with a big screen, but I have had a hard time seeing it in the daylight. Has anyone else had this problem?
David, this is a big factor for me as well, and one of two reasons that I don't use my inspire as my regular day-to-day GPS. I love DSM and the app is solid, but the inspire screen and the OS are the two big hold ups for me.

I was going to write up how the stock ROM would not run DSM (too old) and that I had to install CyanogenMod7 to get DSM to work, but installing CM7 destroyed the GPS performance (apparently a common issue on CM7 and various phones, I could only get a lock about 35% of the the time, and ALWAYS lose it after about 30 minutes or so), but I just went out and saw that they finally released 3.3 for the Inspire.... guess I'll be rolling back to a factory ROM. Bummed to loose root access, but they benefit is great if it resolves the GPS issue.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #1106
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,528
Is there a way to make your tracks "private" on the website?

Working on some horse trail maps for the MIL... She's got a bunch of GPX files she wants to view and print in the terrain view of google maps.
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #1107
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Yeah, you click the "Update Map Details" button and then there is a check box or something that says Private.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
Is there a way to make your tracks "private" on the website?

Working on some horse trail maps for the MIL... She's got a bunch of GPX files she wants to view and print in the terrain view of google maps.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #1108
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_in_TX View Post
I am not TOO concerned, but it is issues like this that will make me think hard about my NEXT phone purchase.
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #1109
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,614
I know we discussed this briefly before, but I don't think we ever finished the discussion.

I am planning a 2100 mile, on road trip this summer, and I have my route snapped to roads on the website.

Will the app give me turn by turn directions through this route I have created?

SIDEBAR: Because this was a feature I knew worked well on Garmin units I bought a used Nuvi in fleabay. Sadly, it just couldn't handle the mighty vibes of the KLR.

Another reason this app is great.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:08 AM   #1110
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

At this time, it does not do turn by turn directions unless you use the auto route feature in the app, but you do not get any say in the route then. You will need to follow the line.

Identifying turns from track data and offering time to turn and audio guidance is on the list though. I've just been busy with other things, like voiding doing my taxes...That is a full time job right now.