Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #106
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
probably with a newer Droid...
Maybe you should skip the Motorola and try a Samsung or HTC... I've only had this one Android phone, my Nexus S (a Samsung). My only other Android device is my Nook and it is rock solid also, and I've rooted it and hacked the crap out of it's software and it still always just works.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #107
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,727
A buddy has the newer Droid and has no problems with it. I suspect I'll go that route since I've never been a big fan of some other vendors.
Daughter number 2 has an HTC Droid, (I think, hard to keep up with which phone is dead or new) that she has only killed twice so far, (water dunking doesn't seem to do them any good.)
Daughter number one now has the iPhone4 which likes to eat it's battery too. But, she leaves the wifi and bluetooth, and GPS and every other damned thing running. It locked itself the other day. The tech guy got downright snotty about the re-boot sequence. Seems one is supposed to just know by way of ownership this routine involves holding both functional buttons down for some unknown amount of time. I tried it for a ten count and nothing happened. But it is back to wonderful, well as wonderful as an Apple thingy can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Maybe you should skip the Motorola and try a Samsung or HTC... I've only had this one Android phone, my Nexus S (a Samsung). My only other Android device is my Nook and it is rock solid also, and I've rooted it and hacked the crap out of it's software and it still always just works.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #108
eldomike
Who Cares

Oddometer: 774
Had the original Droid from the beginning, just got a Droid X..I like it a lot...neither phone is great on battery life but I just learned to live with it...

Mike
Old 06-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #109
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,048
I just found my "old" Android phone, it's a Motorola Backflip and I can dedicate it to bike use only, so I plan to use if for music and gps work. I was planning on getting a Montana, but if your software works out, I don't see why I wouldn't go with it. The only downside is that the backflip has a tiny screen. My Inspire would be more ideal, but it has a cracked screen and mostly just sits on my desk at work now.

Anyway, if you need more testers, let me know. I think I'd have to sideload any applications (thanks AT&T!) but I'm planning on rooting it next week sometime anyway.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #110
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

At present my plan was to package it as an Android 2.2 app as that hits > 90% of the market. Plus, most of those handsets are "new" enough to handle the pressure the app puts on them. I could make it 1.6 compatible I think, but I don't think hardware at the 1.6 level can actually handle the strain of the app. It's a memory and CPU hog.

My point being, your "old" phone may not cut the mustard. I'm no hardware guy and I don't know diddly about the backflip though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
I just found my "old" Android phone, it's a Motorola Backflip and I can dedicate it to bike use only, so I plan to use if for music and gps work. I was planning on getting a Montana, but if your software works out, I don't see why I wouldn't go with it. The only downside is that the backflip has a tiny screen. My Inspire would be more ideal, but it has a cracked screen and mostly just sits on my desk at work now.

Anyway, if you need more testers, let me know. I think I'd have to sideload any applications (thanks AT&T!) but I'm planning on rooting it next week sometime anyway.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #111
firemedic3293
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
iPhone ?

Crafty- this app looks amazing, I have tried a few other similar apps for the iPhone, a lot are designed for hiking/ mtn biking and usually just designate trailheads. Any plans on making an app for the iPhone users. Definitely would be nice, it looks like a work of art.
SPOT Shared Page
RDS Adventure D/S Forum
firemedic3293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #112
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,048
Quote:
My point being, your "old" phone may not cut the mustard. I'm no hardware guy and I don't know diddly about the backflip though...
That's entirely possible, but it's not too old, I don't think. I'm running 2.1, and it is easily (once rooted) overclocked to 700+mhz, from what I've read.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #113
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I'm about ready to ditch the thing. I'm none too thrilled about another new phone. The battery life has definitely changed in the past 6 months from all day to a few hours.
Before ditching it, have you tried a full firmware reset to factory defaults? Weird bugs and battery life can both be caused by software problems.

It is a well known problem with Lithium-ion batteries that their life will go down with age. They're the best batteries money can buy at the moment, but they do have that one drawback. From wikipedia:

"Charging forms deposits inside the electrolyte that inhibit ion transport. Over time, the cell's capacity diminishes. The increase in internal resistance reduces the cell's ability to deliver current. This problem is more pronounced in high-current applications. The decrease means that older batteries do not charge as much as new ones (charging time required decreases proportionally)."

The only option is to change your charging habits to reduce these deposits. Charging while the phone is cool for example. But that only helps, it's not a solution. You may be able to buy a new battery, but I'm not sure about for your phone.

But it could also be a software problem draining your battery. There are a lot of chips which are shut down when not in use. If software is using them, then they won't be shut down and your battery life will go through the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
That's entirely possible, but it's not too old, I don't think. I'm running 2.1, and it is easily (once rooted) overclocked to 700+mhz, from what I've read.
I think the problem is RAM, not CPU. So overclocking won't help at all. It'll just drain your battery faster and create more heat (unlike a desktop or laptop, there is no fan to keep an overclocked CPU cool).

abhibeckert screwed with this post 06-26-2011 at 05:35 AM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #114
OhChet
n00b

Oddometer: 7
How is the beta test on this app going Crafty?

I've lurked on this site for quite a while but it wasn't until I saw what you were making that I decided I NEEDED to register and post!
OhChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #115
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhChet View Post
How is the beta test on this app going Crafty?

I've lurked on this site for quite a while but it wasn't until I saw what you were making that I decided I NEEDED to register and post!
Welcome to ADV. I'm glad I brought into the fold officially.

The testing is going well. A few little bugs have been found but nothing terrible. Some users still want this app to be a total replacement for their Garmin which it isn't. I believe their phone can be when you combine this app with something like Google Navigator. My app is not designed to excel at navigating you through cities and that sort of thing. It really is for getting you in and out of the wilderness during rides and for helping you follow other peoples' tracks. It has rudimentary routing capabilities, but nothing to write home about. If you want it to get through TAT it can do that. If you want to follow your buddies tracks through some desert wilderness, it will do a fine job. If you want it to help you find a bagel shop and to route you around traffic you are really barking up the wrong tree. If you combine this app with Google Navigator though I think you have a slam dunk replacement of a Garmin.

craftycoder screwed with this post 06-29-2011 at 08:29 AM
Old 07-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #116
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I've released a new beta version to the testers. Things are looking great I'd say. I am accepting another round of testers at this time, so if you have Froyo and interest in testing the app please send me a PM with your email address and hook you up. Testers are expected to use the app and send reports back to me, so please be willing to help out if you want to get the software early.

I'm currently looking for a 3D printer to fabricate some parts for the remote control. I'm not sure how long that is going to take. I've still not even drawn up a 3D model of the parts I need. Honestly I've got no skills in the model drawing department so I figure I'm going to screw it all up many times before I get it right. In the mean time, one of the beta testers is sending me a water resistant case to test out which is exciting as well.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #117
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,522
Quote:
I've released a new beta version to the testers. Things are looking great I'd say. I am accepting another round of testers at this time, so if you have Froyo and interest in testing the app please send me a PM with your email address and hook you up. Testers are expected to use the app and send reports back to me, so please be willing to help out if you want to get the software early.

I'm currently looking for a 3D printer to fabricate some parts for the remote control. I'm not sure how long that is going to take. I've still not even drawn up a 3D model of the parts I need. Honestly I've got no skills in the model drawing department so I figure I'm going to screw it all up many times before I get it right. In the mean time, one of the beta testers is sending me a water resistant case to test out which is exciting as well.
i have froyo, no gingerbread as it turns out. I use solidworks so a drawing could be possible, though I've not done PCB's before.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #118
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
i have froyo, no gingerbread as it turns out. I use solidworks so a drawing could be possible, though I've not done PCB's before.
I only need to design the cases actually. One for the for the buttons and joystick that will clamp to the bars and then another for the PCB that will just get stowed out of the way somewhere. The latter is merely a box with a hole for power on one side and a hole for the USB that you power your phone with on the other side.

joystick PCB
joystick on above
3 or 4 of these buttons

case something like this but maybe with the joystick on the front...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #119
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

First rough prototype of remote case. I'm going to try to get this made tonight. Then I will work on getting it attached to the bike. The big hole is for the joystick. The next one is for a rotary encoder (think turning knob) which will control the bearing of the map or media volume based on the mode selected. The last hole is for a button which will cycle between modes. The modes are: perspective/follow mode (where view is always looking forward over your shoulder), view from above mode, and volume control mode. Other modes may be introduced as needed.

Inmate FFS has suggested a mounting mechanism like this:

I'm thinking, at least for my WR² that I'll screw it right to my mirror fastener since I already removed my mirrors and replaced them with HDB mirrors I have those hard points already available.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #120
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

App Released

The app is finally available in the Android Market. It's titled "Dual Sport Maps". Enjoy it and ride safe. I don't think it's perfect by any means, but it seems pretty stable and I'm ready to let anyone have a go at it. I will be continuing to update it with features and fixes going forward. The app is priced at $20 in the Market. I'm doing this to keep down the number of users who want to glance at the software decide "its too hard" and give it 1 star. These kind of uninformed reviews will scare away people who can really benefit from this software. Also, it pisses me off so I priced it high enough to scare away disinterested parties who just want to offer an opinion but don't otherwise give a crap. If you are really interested in navigation software then this is a value and I'm confident you will agree.

The source code is linked up on the website for anyone who wants to compile up a free version for themselves.

I will not be promoting this app's sale any further in this thread because I don't want it moved to Vendor if that can be avoided. I'd like to keep the discussion about features and bugs, likes and dislikes, so it can be the same as any other thread about GPS hardware and software in this forum. I hope the moderators are amenable to this arraignment.