Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #121
firemedic3293
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
congrats on finishing the app, im sure it was no easy feat- wish i had an android
SPOT Shared Page
RDS Adventure D/S Forum
firemedic3293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #122
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,167
alright good job man. I'll check it out when I get some time. Glad to see the R&D went quickly.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #123
AirLock
Adrift

Oddometer: 24
Very cool, I have been lurking on this thread a while! Just bought it, its downloading to my DroidX now.....
Going to try this along with my Zumo550 on the WBCDR. Leaving in T minus 27hrs and counting...
Been waiting for someone to take advantage of the Android platform for us Dual Sporters.. Great work! Downloading the en tts zip and the oregon_northamerica**.zip ill grab the washington if there is one..
Anything else i should install prior to use?
Airlock
AirLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #124
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirLock View Post
Very cool, I have been lurking on this thread a while! Just bought it, its downloading to my DroidX now.....
Going to try this along with my Zumo550 on the WBCDR. Leaving in T minus 27hrs and counting...
Been waiting for someone to take advantage of the Android platform for us Dual Sporters.. Great work! Downloading the en tts zip and the oregon_northamerica**.zip ill grab the washington if there is one..
Airlock
The GPS status app is very cool I think. I paid about $3 for it. If you have it, it is wrapped up in the app for simple use. If you plan to cache map tiles, load up your tracks in advance and do the caching BEFORE YOU LEAVE. I like the TOPO layer because it has a lot of useful information on it. The satellite data is useful too, but there is a LOT of it so it takes a long time. The website has those tracks in it, so it should be very easy to load them up on the app.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #125
Big Spag
ONESPEED

Oddometer: 90
Wdcdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirLock View Post
Airlock

How bout a report on how this ap works on the WBCDR. Just bought it. I was supposed to ride this in July but the KTM pitched me into a tree and busted the leg in 3 places. Maybe next year?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:48 AM   #126
CamoGreg
Can you see me?

Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I've released a new beta version to the testers. Things are looking great I'd say. I am accepting another round of testers at this time, so if you have Froyo and interest in testing the app please send me a PM with your email address and hook you up. Testers are expected to use the app and send reports back to me, so please be willing to help out if you want to get the software early.

I'm currently looking for a 3D printer to fabricate some parts for the remote control. I'm not sure how long that is going to take. I've still not even drawn up a 3D model of the parts I need. Honestly I've got no skills in the model drawing department so I figure I'm going to screw it all up many times before I get it right. In the mean time, one of the beta testers is sending me a water resistant case to test out which is exciting as well.
Thanks for all your work.

I was directed here from "laying down tracks".

I'm due for a replacement for both my GPS and my 1st gen Moto droid. This app my well drive the decision on my droid replacement.

I may be able to help with the case or other plastic parts.
PM sent

CamoGreg screwed with this post 07-18-2011 at 02:57 AM
CamoGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #127
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,157
Droid X woes with the photowaypoint

ok, so I purchased the app, for $20, from the Android market, and I have yet to figure out the "Photo waypoint" capability.

help.....please...

SteveO screwed with this post 07-19-2011 at 12:32 PM
SteveO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #128
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
ok, so I purchased the app from the Android market, and I have yet to figure out the "Photo waypoint" capability.

help.....please...
The "photo waypoint" is for bringing photos from dualsportmaps.com on to your phone. If they are on the site and you load the map then if you are online you can see them. I do not cache the photos when you are offline though.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #129
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
The "photo waypoint" is for bringing photos from dualsportmaps.com on to your phone. If they are on the site and you load the map then if you are online you can see them. I do not cache the photos when you are offline though.

ok, I was under the impression that I could create a waypoint using the app, and then take a photo with my phone and assign the photo to the waypoint...... not possible?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #130
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
will there be an option in the future to take pictures with the phone and assign them to a waypoint?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #131
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
will there be an option in the future to take pictures with the phone and assign them to a waypoint?
That seems like a cool feature. I'll put it on the list. I think it will be fairly easy to do. There is no obvious way to export that though. GPX files do not support photos, so your waypoint will be stuck on the phone unless you transfer it to the website.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #132
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Videos too!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:39 AM   #133
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
That seems like a cool feature. I'll put it on the list. I think it will be fairly easy to do. There is no obvious way to export that though. GPX files do not support photos, so your waypoint will be stuck on the phone unless you transfer it to the website.
The lat/lon/timestamp on the photo will perfectly match the gpx file though, so if your app uploads them it's easy for the server to match it up to a recorded track.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #134
kknuth
Up Nort!

Oddometer: 190
Talking

THANK YOU CRAFTY CODER!

I had been using Backcountry Navigator on my Android phone but the killer feature you have implemented is the ability to instantly download and cache tiles that are around the GPX file. I don't think there are any other apps that do that. Whooopee!

I too was looking at the Garmin Montana, but you just saved me $500!!!

For those of you frustrated with the problem of the battery draining on your Android phone while the GPS is on you may want to check the output amperage of your charger. Many cheap cig lighter-to-USB adapters DO NOT output a full 1 AMP. This is what a typical Android phone needs to run the screen, gps, 3G radio, and bluetooth all at the same time. Check out an adapter like this:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N7NO4Q or like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S5Q9CA
Neither will break the bank but will keep the phone charged even while in heavy use. I had a charger that only output 600ma and that just didn't cut it.

ONE ENHANCEMENT REQUEST:
Can you add Bing or Google HYBRID tiles as a download option?

ONE CRAZY OUTSIDE THE BOX REQUEST:
Allow riders who have entered their DSM id/password into the app to also post their GPS location every 60 seconds or so (maybe longer?) up to the DSM website. Then allow users of the app to enter in DSM usernames to see where fellow riders are. Kind of like a Google Latitude function for finding riders that fall behind, or get lost, or who is riding near you that you can meet up with.

You rock Craftycoder!
kknuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #135
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by kknuth View Post
ONE CRAZY OUTSIDE THE BOX REQUEST:
Allow riders who have entered their DSM id/password into the app to also post their GPS location every 60 seconds or so (maybe longer?) up to the DSM website. Then allow users of the app to enter in DSM usernames to see where fellow riders are. Kind of like a Google Latitude function for finding riders that fall behind, or get lost, or who is riding near you that you can meet up with.

You rock Craftycoder!
Have you checked out SpotWalla? You can add your droid phone as a Google Latitude device to achieve pretty much exactly the functionality you're describing. Granted... it would be nice to have it all rolled into one app, but in the meantime you might want to check it out :)
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote