Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #1456
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,223
None of what I said is relevant outside the context of a file uploaded to the website. So, please upload a file that exhibits the behavior you believe in error to the website and send me a link to that map on the website. I will download it to my phone and tell you what I learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
gah, I deleted it while trying stuff. ill go geocaching today and pull another one... is email ok, or just upload to dsm site with a flag ?
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #1457
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 795
For those of you that are using this, I'm curious what you're using to hold your phones? It seems like you would need them to have some power, but being that a phone is very expensive, I would want it in a waterproof/dustproof type of thing. I can't find a decent box that is big enough for my phone (Galaxy S2) plus a power cord that doesn't end up huge. I've looked at Pelican (the ones big enough for the phone + power are WAY too deep and would end up being huge) otterbox (don't allow for water/dustproof power).

Any other suggestions? How are you all mounting your phones + power?
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #1458
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
For those of you that are using this, I'm curious what you're using to hold your phones? It seems like you would need them to have some power, but being that a phone is very expensive, I would want it in a waterproof/dustproof type of thing. I can't find a decent box that is big enough for my phone (Galaxy S2) plus a power cord that doesn't end up huge. I've looked at Pelican (the ones big enough for the phone + power are WAY too deep and would end up being huge) otterbox (don't allow for water/dustproof power).

I use an otter box and a RAM-B-149Z-PD3U. If it gets wet, I have an aqua box but I usually just stick the phone in my pocket.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #1459
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:

With my previous phone (not a smartphone) , I bought an Otterbox that was intended for an iPhone and it had a built-in power socket. That would have been pretty much water proof. However the iPhone's power socket did not match my Nokia 6710, so I drilled out the power socket and replaced it one that did fit. I potted that with silicone adhesive. It seemed successful. However the project was a failure as the phone was too hard to use in "closed" configuration. I ended up using gaffer tape to stick it to the outside of the box! Obviously not waterproof at all - I had to put it in my pocket when it rained.

I intend to use a a similar approach with my new smartphone.
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #1460
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
You may have mentioned the answer to this I haven't went through all the pages of the thread- but is there any reason this app wouldn't effectively tracl long sport touring trips, such as cost to coast? Or is there a distance/time limitation?
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 AM   #1461
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
You may have mentioned the answer to this I haven't went through all the pages of the thread- but is there any reason this app wouldn't effectively tracl long sport touring trips, such as cost to coast? Or is there a distance/time limitation?
It can record those fine. It can display enormous tracks. It doesn't do automatic rerouting or do turn by turn as well as Google Nav though. I designed it to work where Google Nav does not. That said, it does have advantages and I use it more than Google, except when I am lost in cities I am unfamiliar with.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #1462
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 432
Question which used device to buy?

Hey Crafty I'm loving this and I want in.

Sorry if this is asked before, but I've searched the thread without much luck.
Can you recommend some used phones for this? Specific makes/models? I'm hoping to pickup something off ebay for $50 - 80.

Whatever I use is likely to get drowned in a river or crashed on, so I'd like to keep the cost down.

Great work it looks super cool!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #1463
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

You may want to go with a waterproof phone instead. Sony makes a pair of tough phones and amazon sells them. Look for used ones as well. They were not popular, but I love them. One is called Active and the other Go.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #1464
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 432
Thanks. I'm going to use this for ONLY my GPS, not a phone or anything else.

This is my lame attempt at a list of everything needed. Please correct me.

1. Cheap android phone
2. Car charger wired to my bike
3. Crafty's awesome app
4. A bit of map downloading/installing on phone before use.
5. some kind of mount

thanks again!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #1465
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The only other thing I might add, is a PC with which browse, create, and modify tracks on dualsportmaps.com that then get downloaded to your phone.

Samsung has and android "iPod" with GPS and wifi. The galaxy player. The price should be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegroove View Post
Thanks. I'm going to use this for ONLY my GPS, not a phone or anything else.

This is my lame attempt at a list of everything needed. Please correct me.

1. Cheap android phone
2. Car charger wired to my bike
3. Crafty's awesome app
4. A bit of map downloading/installing on phone before use.
5. some kind of mount

thanks again!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #1466
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The only other thing I might add, is a PC with which browse, create, and modify tracks on dualsportmaps.com that then get downloaded to your phone.

Samsung has and android "iPod" with GPS and wifi. The galaxy player. The price should be right.
A Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 would be ideal.
Unfortunately I have had problems sourcing a case for it.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #1467
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 795
Something I've noticed on both my phone and tablet- when I switch the basemap to the googlemaps terrain, it almost entirely shows just black with roads on it. Occasionally I will get terrain where I am, but when I zoom in or out, it turns to black.

Anyone else have that?
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #1468
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Looking at putting this app on a "no-name" 7" tablet running android 4.0.4, 512M ram, 4g storage. The google play store tells me "your device isn't compatible with this version"

If I get a better tablet (more ram, more storage, faster processor, etc) will that resolve this issue?

I'd prefer the tablet option if possible, Call phone screen is too small for me to focus on quickly while riding.
TIA
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #1469
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

My first guess is that it doesn't have GPS. The list of requirements is pretty low...I like the tablet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Kiwi#99 View Post
Looking at putting this app on a "no-name" 7" tablet running android 4.0.4, 512M ram, 4g storage. The google play store tells me "your device isn't compatible with this version"

If I get a better tablet (more ram, more storage, faster processor, etc) will that resolve this issue?

I'd prefer the tablet option if possible, Call phone screen is too small for me to focus on quickly while riding.
TIA
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #1470
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,011
Quote:
(Galaxy S2) I've looked at Pelican (the ones big enough for the phone + power are WAY too deep and would end up being huge) otterbox (don't allow for water/dustproof power).

Have a Galaxy S2 also, I use the Otterbox and a RAM mount, and as CC does when it rains I stash the phone in my pocket or tank bag, so far not been an issue, and I typically carry the paper Gazatteer too as back up, works rain or shine