NICE PICS LOVELY RR DO IT AGAIN
jorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #62
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyGrl View Post
These are from the last Fuzzy Beaver Rally around August or so last year.

This one looks nice! Lovely pics!
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #63
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,604
Love it.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #64
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 887
So....... It's been a minute. I've been riding, I've been working and not only on actual financial support, but as for myself.

One thing I forgot to mention in the beginning of this thread was that I, as a young woman, was going through a lot of emotional issues at the beginning of this thread.

It took me 2 full years to push myself through a small hell.

SO............

Anyhoo.....

RDV 2012........
I had never been to anything like this! Ever! Golly Gee!!! I traveled for over 10 hours on a small DR 200 to territory unknown and to only 2 people I knew for sure going to the RDV in Laural Springs, NC for the Rick's RDV that Cuttle put on. Which, btw ~ She and many others did a wonderful job and I was so happy to just be there and have since met some amazing and awesome people.

Right: so after leaving Chatt town around 2~ish and txting several friends and family members along my 10 hr-ish trip to unknown territory to myself; I made it to Laurel Springs. Just north of Boone, NC and at 1am ish.
I skipped lunch, I skipped dinner. I wanted to get there, a drive from relationships and issues that were going on, I needed to get there.

So I did. I persevered through the loneliness of the BRP and I have a gigantic fear of dark, solo, lonely, single, person roads. I came from a very colorful background of comics and sci-fi, so my imagination is incredibly great. Obviously my writing is gettin away from me.

So.... My first pics from the RDV are from the next morning. After noon-ish, b/c I had a wonderful group handing me drinks and it was a learning curve.

I started riding with a guy from Asheville (DRZ 400) and another from Latin America on an older BMW Dakar.
We actually looped in with a local crowd from Boone.

Getting us to the top of this mountain:

Yes, in that 2nd pic. The Dakar guy was having issues. His drive shaft had a slight mishap. He couldn't drive. At all :(
Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #65
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

There was a slight bit more to this. The locals took us to the top, DRZ guy had already been there.
But, it was cool & new to me!

Which this house happened to be at the top

These are the 2 local guys, one owning (and coming to my rescue later in my tale) and another allen from Boone-ish aread

Alan from Asheville

Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #66
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Right, I meant this house;

Last pic from the top

Then on the way back down, the Dakar dude and all the guys were super awesome in trying to get the Dakar as far down as they could (a small cabin that was a mile-ish from where his shaft broke) & no, I did not help in breaking his shaft

The guy on the ground here, above, was super awesome! He's the guy who owns a bike shop in Boone, NC. He came to my rescue while I was riding back with Alan to Asheville on a Sunday! Super Cool!

Unfortunately, Alan and I left the Dakar guy. :/ He waited for backup to come get him, and I had not ridden behind a dude so fast, in so long. OMG! Alan seriously like, sped. I'm prolly what most ppl call "pokey," but I also wanted to keep up.

And I amazed myself. I seriously, surprised myself in a good way. I enjoyed every speed and tummy-turning moment, Golly Gee! We eventually did make it back to the RDV and there was some dinner left for us.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #67
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

So after many Shenanigans and drinking and such....
The next morning I wake to witness the beautiful Cuttle at her best with her vintage bike

Then I help out, putting away things for ppl and such stuff. I wait to ride with the DRZ towards Asheville, as I don't normally ride with anyone. But, as we are literally the last ppl to leave, I get a flat.............

So we try to figure something out for the next 30 or so minutes.....
Then a certain Honda Goldwing rolls into the camp space............. Fido ?????

Lo and behold! A man who lives not very far from myself in my hometown, as well, I even work in his local neighhborhood! DRZ (Alan) spots this man b/c of a BMW shirt he happens to be wearing..........

and so proceeds to provide an air pump for both DRZ's and mine tubes for my front 21 inch. So glad Phideaux happened to be rolling thru!

Only to find out that while in Boone, our patches did not hold. So again.... After a spontaneous fix for a jack (a concrete curb) and I was again indebted to DRZ guy, who happened to keep the local we ran into from Saturday (who owned the shop in Boone). The shop guy was super awesome, coming to my rescue in providing not only a brand new tube, but an air pump as well & gauge.

Before Alan (DRZ guy) left to meet Boone local bike ship owner, a man came round asking if we were ok. After consoling him and his wife some 15/20 minutes later, they showed back up and provided us with a fast food dinner! I couldn't have ever in my wildest dreams, imagined such nice people. It was awesome! and I was really touched they had randomly done such a thing.

Finally, I caved in and stayed overnight in Asheville after everything and my debacles... I needed to not stress over a 4 hour trip back home in the dark.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #68
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyGrl;
Then on the way back down, the Dakar dude and all the guys were super awesome in trying to get the Dakar as far down as they could (a small cabin that was a mile-ish from where his shaft broke) & no, I did not help in breaking his shaft :wink:

[IMG
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww80/aspfathom/Virgin%20Rendezvous/IMG_1697.jpg[/IMG]

them beemer guys always talk about how depenable those airheads are

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #69
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,414
finally - a update

there was much more riding since....
Old 09-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #70
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

In Asheville

So my second time in Asheville. I really got to hang out with a really cool crowd, I didn't know it then, but for my own personal benefit they are truly a cool crowd.

I don't normally talk much about myself or what's going on, b/c I'm actually a very private type person.

But issues I was dealing with, boys going through my head and issues at home, this was awesome to me. It was truly awesome to meet and talk to ppl who knew things, things that I cared about! Motorbikes, adventures, camping and cool stuff! and no drama. So, sometimes I believe what some ppl need is a change of scenery and I was limited in my situation. But opening myself up and pushing myself through stupid Introverted-ness I definitely excelled and am in a happier place that I need to be in.

I give full credit to motorbikes. my hobby of off-roading, camping and people that I've met. They will prolly never know just how much they have helped.

any hoooo.....

In Asheville meeting up with the Cool Crew ate at the White Duck;

Then met up with some cool peeps at the Wedge

Next day, time to head home; rode to Maggie Valley to catch up with Al_Tuna and his awesome sweet wife.

Then I went thru Nantahala on the way home

Ha! That's not Lookout Mtn. That is the mountain the local Boone Boys took us to on Saturday, where the Dakar broke down.

SquirrelyGrl screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 10:08 PM
SquirrelyGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #71
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Haha! I thought I was lurking in my updates! Ha!

Redbud ~ I know, those beemer peeps, golly!!

Silke ~ I've started on the wine, so it's gonna be a long night......... Many, so many updates!

Glad you posted
Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #72
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

A month or so ~ ish after RDV, graciously and most awesomely an event in my life......

I went on a ride with a good friend on a KLR. Good? Friend? KLR? Oh yes, the best of friends I find do ride KLR's and I most enjoy riding with them

On the way to North River Rd. we stopped at the Tellico Beach Drive-In for a snack

Close to the top of the Cherohala(?) skyway, on North River Rd. The might Hawk at it's finest, given the state it's owned by a negligent young female in the motorbike arts.

One of two balds? I believe we made it to....

He and I made it to Asheville that day, he was purchasing a much needed camping seat/thingy I dunno. But, I found a friend lying in a cool spot in Mast Outfitters in downtown Asheville

Then we wound our way towards Bryson City, or vice versa, I'm not sure which. My first trip to Bryson City, if I need to stop, I make it a point to go to this place.

On our way towards Erwin, TN we stopped at a few cool mountain spots, which I have no idea which ones they were. Sorry

Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #73
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

So heading to Erwin, TN. We road past the AT Hostel that is located just slightly, out of town. There is a dirt/gravel road that ascends to the top of the mountain and we had found a cool camp spot and pitched our tent there for the night.

He riding a Tiger, I hopped on the back and we rode to the top of the mountain

A small trail across from the parking lot led to an overgrown picnic area, where evidence of a fire tower remained.

Mtn Laurel, which I love native plants

Then dude, gets to the edge of the concrete from prior days popularity. He starts to hear some noise, assumes it belongs to a cricket.

Oh no............... no such cricket.........................

A long and beautiful and might I add; graciously calm rattlesnake atop the mtn

He had heard it prior to seeing it.
Douche totally kept getting closer and I kept thinking, "Can I really ride that Tiger down the mtn with someone on the back with a snake bite?"
Old 09-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #74
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Finally, Douche over his fascination of snakes,

A much more fearsome opponent was at hand, closer to the bike

Behold!
The Cheet-O!!

Then we rolled back to camp. It was pretty cool camping. We were across from the AT and a couple of young men were hiking it and stayed w/ us. They un-impressedly watched me cook hamburger patties with blue cheese in aluminum foil on stones in the fire. Being from the north, they were quite fascinated by southerners ease of gun-handling and carrying. I was surprised, 2 guys from the north, never backpacked, never hiked intensely just one day decided; let's do this; hike the AT.

Very awesome guys. Hope they made it all the way.

The next morning;

Beautiful balds and beautiful mountains..... I love the south......

One more of Bryson City, the Smokey Mtn Express rolling out;

Friend rolled on to West Virgina and I rolled towards Asheville;
Coffee Shop/Bar in West Asheville;

Kayaking on the lake, fun ride out to here, when I rode up there in the car;

Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #75
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

So.......... Another month later ~ ish (July?) I went and rode some good dirt up in the Tellico Area with a good friend, same dude who I camped with in Erwin, TN

Atop some Bald, somewhere.....

Oh yea! I followed him to a big dam in North Carolina. We rode through some River, when it was just coming out of the dam here;

Then, a rode kept going in the opposite direction the bikes are facing. We followed it, til it came an obvious 4-wheelers only trail, but the GPS kept pointing the gravel road was just through that creek we had to go through and made it we did!

Sorry, I didn't take any pics of that :/

But we found ourselves close to Trails 81 & 82 in Tellico,

One of the few good pics of this guy;