Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #181
Zackyzacky01
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
You're not in Cali anymore. Slim pickings. I take random gravel roads here and there. I sometimes do Guajolota Road North of McCook; ends up South of San Isidro. Coordinates are 26.660193, -98.433924 and 26.594821, -98.365088. Not much really but hey. Laguna Seca road north of Edinburg (heads W from 281) dumps you on 1017 if you follow the gravel road where the pavement ends. The treat is the air you can get on the paved section as it goes over the canal.
I did Laguna Seca, and Also, there was an area near loves truck stop where I headed west till it ends, then south for about 1/2 a mile and turned onto a dirt road where I road over a bridge into a cool little spot that is like walls of bamboo. Its near some sort of body of water. I wish I could report the name of the road.
Zackyzacky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #182
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackyzacky01 View Post
I am Zack. I used to work at smokin aces with the pirate..
Small world! Good to see ya Zack!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #183
PirateJohn
Banned

Youse guys were talking about gravel roads and I confess that I am not super familiar with what's in the RGV but I do remember stumbling across several unimproved roads in the general area of Progreso, TX.

Never mind the gravel roads around Progreso, TAM, MX although I doubt if it's very smart to get too deep in the woods around that Progreso these days. There is a ghost town along the river maybe 3-4 miles east of Progreso, MX but the one time that I was driving back there in my Land Rover I ran across two guys in a black pickup that strongly suggested that I shouldn't be there.

Anyway ... I am about 10 miles due north of the border around Guerrero, Coahuila, MX and a bit northwest of Laredo, and there is an incredible network of dirt roads to support the gas and oil industry. Some are county roads, many are gated and private, but I am looking at Google Earth and there seems to be several that are the old pioneer trails that are still open.

Just FYI if anyone is looking for some challenging riding.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #184
Zackyzacky01
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Youse guys were talking about gravel roads and I confess that I am not super familiar with what's in the RGV but I do remember stumbling across several unimproved roads in the general area of Progreso, TX.

Never mind the gravel roads around Progreso, TAM, MX although I doubt if it's very smart to get too deep in the woods around that Progreso these days. There is a ghost town along the river maybe 3-4 miles east of Progreso, MX but the one time that I was driving back there in my Land Rover I ran across two guys in a black pickup that strongly suggested that I shouldn't be there.

Anyway ... I am about 10 miles due north of the border around Guerrero, Coahuila, MX and a bit northwest of Laredo, and there is an incredible network of dirt roads to support the gas and oil industry. Some are county roads, many are gated and private, but I am looking at Google Earth and there seems to be several that are the old pioneer trails that are still open.

Just FYI if anyone is looking for some challenging riding.
Howdy John! There was a fellow just about 40 miles south of Laredo at a rest stop when I was on my California loop, who said there are some places near where you are talking about. Pioneer trails? Im in! Post coordinates!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #185
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackyzacky01 View Post
Howdy John! There was a fellow just about 40 miles south of Laredo at a rest stop when I was on my California loop, who said there are some places near where you are talking about. Pioneer trails? Im in! Post coordinates!!!

Zack, sending you a PM. Let's keep some of these on the QT.

But I'll throw a couple of things at ya. I have a very weak Internet connection and have only had this up and running for a few days; hopefully in the next week I'll have a more powerful cell phone repeater up and running so I can do some planning. If that doesn't work then I'm going for Hughes satellite Internet.

Anyway, bear with me because I have just started to research some of this.

I am in the general are of 28 16.958'N 100 0.613'W . That should be the main gate to the main oil and gas field. In the future I can probably get someone back here on a bike but there are two guards there, a radar-controlled system that automatically records who enters and exits, and they have been hiring some rent-a-cops to regulate the speeds of trucks and to inform the drivers' companies if they speed. The limit out there is only about 20 mph.

That's not a public area but the road up to the main gate is a county road. Like I said, there is the damnedest field of trails and dirt roads out here that you have ever seen. I have heard that you can sneak in on some of the trails and not go past the gates but you know how that goes - these are clearly ranchers' fields.

Check out 27 44.625'N 99 44.905'W and then 28 30.716'N 100 18.671'W . That second co-ordinate is the little town of El Indio. Most of my maps show the road ending roughly between the two points but there is, in fact, a dirt road there. Several of the guys out here say that it's pretty tough in a truck but it's open and public.

There is also a border road north of there somewhere but I have heard through the grapevine that some guys tried it on big GS's and had to turn back.

I am really looking forward to doing that border road although it will probably be several months before I'll be ready to start exploring it.

Also, just for grins and giggles, check out Fowlerton, TX, which is a fair chunk (60-80 miles?) due east of here. I was on a gas property that was behind several private gates but there is a dirt county road on the eastern edge of town that runs for maybe 15 miles to the south. At least. And there are other roads branching off of it that are public as far as I know. I think that 28 28.018'N 98 48.522'W is pretty much the entrance to that road.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #186
Zackyzacky01
n00b

anyone riding Saturday?

Was thinking of a back road dual sport ride.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #187
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Lookie what followed me home today!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #188
WeazyBuddha OP
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,392

What do you think? Is Mexico the inaugural ride?
Old 10-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #189
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post

What do you think? Is Mexico the inaugural ride?
Leaving for Oaxaca on the 22nd if work doesn't torpedo the trip.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 10-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #190
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Hey Schizzman,

Congrats on the new bike !
Old 10-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #191
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Hey Schizzman,

Congrats on the new bike !
Gracias Ah-say-ho-nays!

Old 12-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #192
WeazyBuddha OP
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Well, La Buenota is a little under the weather. Pulled her britches down today to take better pictures of a cracked Fuel Flange. Link. I guess I'll wait to install the new farkle I received the other day 'till after I get the flange fixed.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2011, 07:28 AM   #193
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
The only way to fix a GS is buy getting one of these.

If you need any help, I can come by and help you push the GS out to the curb and put a "Please Haul Away" sign.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #194
WeazyBuddha OP
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Might as well dust this thread off, Mar7 and Pilot815 are getting all chatty on the tag thread.

RGV Air Fiesta is scheduled for March 24 & 25.

Schedule page is blank so don't know about times. Tickets seem to be $15 advance, $20 at the gate plus apparently $5 parking per vehicle that I assume includes motorcycles.

I'm on the fence about trying to make it out there.

Marlo, it was good catching up with you today at Casa Blanca. I've got to get out there more often.

Cory, have a great ride to Big Bend. Take lots of pics!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #195
mar7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Yup, it was a nice breakfast and enjoyed the company. The one thing I took away from breakfast is not to buy a GS! j/k We need to do it again soon.
mar7 is offline   Reply With Quote