Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
dennis from south padre here with his street legal 03' WR250F. I'm mostly an offroad guy. rode sullivan city for a bit while the lease was going but normally ride "the port" and the beach. Earlier this year 4 of us rode up the beach from spi to corpus (and back), it was a record of sorts, and lots of fun!
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #17
WeazyBuddha OP
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
4 of us rode up the beach from spi to corpus (and back), it was a record of sorts, and lots of fun!
Wow, sounds like a neat little adventure. Was it round trip or did you camp overnight? How'd you get across the East cut? I suppose a friend with a boat met you there. Ride report with pics?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #18
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Wow, sounds like a neat little adventure. Was it round trip or did you camp overnight? How'd you get across the East cut? I suppose a friend with a boat met you there. Ride report with pics?
Here's my link to my facebook page with all the pics and captions:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2&l=78dc2f55af

We spent the night in Corpus and had just the right type of bay boat to ferry us across the mansfield cut on both days.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #19
WeazyBuddha OP
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Had a great ride today all the way to walgreens before the KLR crapped out. Nearly pushed it back to WBs house and had to work on it. Its running now. Feels more powerful. I even added a 6th gear!
Picture of Pilot815 arriving at Walgreens rendezvous below on his sputtering KLR. My ride for the day was measured in yards but had a great time at the impromptu tech day at my place. Breakfast at the Moonlight Cafe was great, took the camera but someone forgot to take a picture of the awesome machacado . Capt Spaulding joined us later in the day so more BS'ing and then awesome burgers at Big Daddy's with a Mexican apple soda...mmmm.

WeazyBuddha screwed with this post 05-29-2011 at 08:44 AM
WeazyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
WeazyBuddha OP
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
Here's my link to my facebook page with all the pics and captions:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2&l=78dc2f55af

We spent the night in Corpus and had just the right type of bay boat to ferry us across the mansfield cut on both days.
Thanks for sharing, that was cool. Props to all but particularly Danny on the KLR; must have been a handful in the loose stuff. I miss the beach and my little 4x4 toy. I remember camping out with friends at the East cut, drinking a beer and BS'ing by the campfire. What's the latest on drug runners using the beach as a transport route? Is there even any truth to those reports from awhile back?
Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #21
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Quote:
Thanks for sharing, that was cool. Props to all but particularly Danny on the KLR; must have been a handful in the loose stuff. I miss the beach and my little 4x4 toy. I remember camping out with friends at the East cut, drinking a beer and BS'ing by the campfire. What's the latest on drug runners using the beach as a transport route? Is there even any truth to those reports from awhile back?
there's always "stories", but if "they" were a "problem" then they'd be easy to catch.

besides the KLR there was also the DR, both 650s. My WR250F is just plain fun out in that stuff, or anywhere offroad really. I got tags on it but only for getting from place to place. I did need those plates though for an enduro I did in PA a couple of summers ago, that was weird, and different than in texas.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #22
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
I've got my R1150GS, K1100RS, and K1200LT down here in the Valley and none of them are roadworthy at the moment. Which sucks.

I am cautiously expecting to get the R1150GS back on the road in a few weeks, certainly before the end of Summer. Maybe by then it will be OK to get back to exploring the Mexican side of the Valley a bit.

I might be moving the motorhome towards Brownsville in a month or two but that's also up in the air a bit. Presumably if that happens I'll have the GS up and running.

Took the Land Rover over to Progreso on Saturday and then drove over to the Mission Bar in the Centro of Reynosa on Sunday.

I wanted to cross at Anzalduas and drive through town but didn't have the time so I'll be doing that trip some other day.

Has Arte and Andre gotten into this thread? I'd be interested in hearing their opinions about wandering around Reynosa.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #23
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I've got my R1150GS, K1100RS, and K1200LT down here in the Valley and none of them are roadworthy at the moment. Which sucks.

I am cautiously expecting to get the R1150GS back on the road in a few weeks, certainly before the end of Summer. Maybe by then it will be OK to get back to exploring the Mexican side of the Valley a bit.

I might be moving the motorhome towards Brownsville in a month or two but that's also up in the air a bit. Presumably if that happens I'll have the GS up and running.

Took the Land Rover over to Progreso on Saturday and then drove over to the Mission Bar in the Centro of Reynosa on Sunday.

I wanted to cross at Anzalduas and drive through town but didn't have the time so I'll be doing that trip some other day.

Has Arte and Andre gotten into this thread? I'd be interested in hearing their opinions about wandering around Reynosa.
Ahhh, the Mission Bar!

After this current project at work I'm gonna drag Bato back down there for some buckets of Indios. Hopefully in 3-4 weeks. Either on the Harleys or the KLRs.

Hope y'all don't mind a CenTex boy lurking around here.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #24
WeazyBuddha OP
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Bienvenido!!

By the powers vested in me by nobody in particular I bestow on you honorary membership to the RGV inmates.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Bienvenido!!

By the powers vested in me by nobody in particular I bestow on you honorary membership to the RGV inmates.

Hoping to meet y'all for a canyon ride sometime. My KLR misses Mexico.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #26
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Ahhh, the Mission Bar!

After this current project at work I'm gonna drag Bato back down there for some buckets of Indios. Hopefully in 3-4 weeks. Either on the Harleys or the KLRs.

Bato dropped by Smokin' Aces. I've been cookin' wings there at night (doing so right now as I type this!) and between that little gig and the real estate book finally starting to make some money I may be breaking the cycle of "desperately broke" that has plagued us for most of the time that I've been in the Valley.

With that said I really enjoy my regular haunts and am more than happy to welcome you back Amigo. I'm definitely up for some drinkin' ... and some riding if I get lucky and get the R11.5 back up and running.

It will be interesting when you/we take our bikes there. Parking is very tight around the Centro right now because of some construction, but I'll bet that the town will let us get away with parking in front of the bar in the "exclusive gringo motorcycling zone"

Either that or we hide them in one of the nearby parking garages.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #27
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

Hoping to meet y'all for a canyon ride sometime. My KLR misses Mexico.
No milk crate?

The local Jeep dealer has had one sitting outside off and on for several months. I'm about ready to go by and asked 'em "how much?"

If I get FEMA'd this year then I'll probably have the $$$. Dunno if that one is going anywhere soon, but the local stealer has several in stock.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #28
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Bato dropped by Smokin' Aces. I've been cookin' wings there at night (doing so right now as I type this!) and between that little gig and the real estate book finally starting to make some money I may be breaking the cycle of "desperately broke" that has plagued us for most of the time that I've been in the Valley.

With that said I really enjoy my regular haunts and am more than happy to welcome you back Amigo. I'm definitely up for some drinkin' ... and some riding if I get lucky and get the R11.5 back up and running.

It will be interesting when you/we take our bikes there. Parking is very tight around the Centro right now because of some construction, but I'll bet that the town will let us get away with parking in front of the bar in the "exclusive gringo motorcycling zone"

Either that or we hide them in one of the nearby parking garages.
Looks like Bato and I will be riding down in a few weeks to slake our collective thirst and hopefully plan a future canyon ride with whoever is up for it. Arte's RR's have really put a hook in me to do some canyon riding down there.

EDIT: left the milk crate in the bottom of the canyon in Las Barrancas del Cobre.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #29
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Looks like Bato and I will be riding down in a few weeks to slake our collective thirst and hopefully plan a future canyon ride with whoever is up for it. Arte's RR's have really put a hook in me to do some canyon riding down there.

EDIT: left the milk crate in the bottom of the canyon in Las Barrancas del Cobre.

C'mon down!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #30
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Quote:
C'mon down!
Hey Pirate John,
Fins up but website down?