Old 05-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #31
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
Hey Pirate John,
Fins up but website down?
I moved it to a new server a few months ago and screwed up the connections. Dunno if I have the time today to call tech support but I'll get 'round to it hopefully in a day or two.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #32
WeazyBuddha OP
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Looks like Bato and I will be riding down in a few weeks to slake our collective thirst and hopefully plan a future canyon ride with whoever is up for it.
Keep us posted. I like slaking my thirst and friends and talking motorcycles. If things work out (i'm in my busy season at work) we could round up some locals and do some BS'ing and thirst slaking at casa WB.

Just pay no attention to the mess, I'm a bachelor.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 PM   #33
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Keep us posted. I like slaking my thirst and friends and talking motorcycles. If things work out (i'm in my busy season at work) we could round up some locals and do some BS'ing and thirst slaking at casa WB.

Just pay no attention to the mess, I'm a bachelor.
Just found out we get July 4-5 off and I worked yesterday so I could bank a day. Now all I have to do is plan a little "illness" for July 6-7 and I can ride Mexico for a full week. WooHoo!!

My throat is already developing a slight tickle.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #34
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Just found out we get July 4-5 off and I worked yesterday so I could bank a day. Now all I have to do is plan a little "illness" for July 6-7 and I can ride Mexico for a full week.

I can whip up a batch of green chicken wings and old sauce and you won't have to pretend about being sick.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #35
WeazyBuddha OP
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Looking forward to meeting you Shizzman (and Bato), hope the stars align.

I gotta admit i'm a bit bummed that Arte, Trice, Marlo, Andres and others have not dropped by to say hello. They might have been kidnapped by Mexican bandits so that upside to that is the stories they'll have.

Leojr, what's your story?

Shizzman, I'm honored that you quoted me and looking forward to drinking a cervesa with you. I grew up dirt poor and used to salivate even over the mini bikes with lawn mower engines so it really is true, my only motorcycling enjoyment was dreaming as I read the magazines.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #36
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:

I gotta admit i'm a bit bummed that Arte, Trice, Marlo, Andres and others have not dropped by to say hello. They might have been kidnapped by Mexican bandits so that upside to that is the stories they'll have.

Shizzman, I'm honored that you quoted me and looking forward to drinking a cervesa with you. I grew up dirt poor and used to salivate even over the mini bikes with lawn mower engines so it really is true, my only motorcycling enjoyment was dreaming as I read the magazines.
I've never read anything that better described my childhood wrt motorcycles than what you wrote. Uncanny.

Look forward to meeting all of y'all and doing some riding, among other things.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 06-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #37
Arte
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I've got my R1150GS, K1100RS, and K1200LT down here in the Valley and none of them are roadworthy at the moment. Which sucks.

I am cautiously expecting to get the R1150GS back on the road in a few weeks, certainly before the end of Summer. Maybe by then it will be OK to get back to exploring the Mexican side of the Valley a bit.

I might be moving the motorhome towards Brownsville in a month or two but that's also up in the air a bit. Presumably if that happens I'll have the GS up and running.

Took the Land Rover over to Progreso on Saturday and then drove over to the Mission Bar in the Centro of Reynosa on Sunday.

I wanted to cross at Anzalduas and drive through town but didn't have the time so I'll be doing that trip some other day.

Has Arte and Andre gotten into this thread? I'd be interested in hearing their opinions about wandering around Reynosa.

We actually wander all day long around Reynosa.... we live here!!

seriously, there are no problem around here, but I have had heard that going south by the coast road is looking for trouble... but for nice cars and SUV's.
Had not hear that any biker got hit or kidnapped.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #38
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post

seriously, there are no problem around here, but I have had heard that going south by the coast road is looking for trouble... but for nice cars and SUV's.
Had not hear that any biker got hit or kidnapped.
Bato recently survived that route to Tampico and back. No problems. Of course he shared a hotel with an army of Federal officers.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #39
Arte
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,500
Quote:

We have been quite busy looking for more business due the summer season, but we were able to cut the chains last weekend and make a RELAMPAGO ride to Austin. Look for the RR tomorrow.
Be afraid amigo, if we pay you a visit, that damn good brine chicken you make, got to go getting ready...! this time I will get the Fajitas and Chicken!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #40
WeazyBuddha OP
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Quote:
...we were able to cut the chains last weekend and make a RELAMPAGO ride to Austin. Look for the RR tomorrow.

Quote:
...Be afraid amigo, if we pay you a visit, that damn good brine chicken you make, got to go getting ready...! this time I will get the Fajitas and Chicken!
Oh yea! Will definitely plan an RGV inmate gathering at casa WB...Mmmmm.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #41
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

And I miss you guys! So close ... yet so far away ...

Is that little bar where the ADV bike club was meeting a few years ago still open and safe for a gringo? I am getting really tempted to explore a little bit around town ... have a few drinks and watch the TV.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #42
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

Oh yea! Will definitely plan an RGV inmate gathering at casa WB...Mmmmm.

I am game. You guys have been warned!

Casa WB has potential. We had another gentleman that had some get togethers last year - was that Pilot? - and we could attack his house too.

In addition, we could take over Smokin' Aces on a slow night. The headbangers won't let us have the bar when there is a band scheduled, but otherwise the place is ours and I can bring in some decent food if desired.

(Just FYI there is a business "mixer" for the magazine that we are publishing at another bar on 17th Street in a few days ... 6th of May as I recall ... if that holds any appeal to people we can get you in.)

As an alternative we could all get together in downtown Reynosa at the Mission Bar. Surely there is a nearby hotel that would let us crash on the carpet in a "deluxe" room.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:29 AM   #43
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

Casa WB has potential. We had another gentleman that had some get togethers last year - was that Pilot? - and we could attack his house too.
That was casa WB. He has the perfect set up for ADV hangouts.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #44
PirateJohn
Banned

Sorry about getting the aliases confused guys. You know me ... I'm getting old ... sometimes I need help remembering who I am and where I live.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #45
mar7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Better late then never...

I have to confess that I have been an avid lurker of ADV for past couple of years. I met WB at Casa Blanca in Raymo a couple of months ago and struck up a conversation about his GS. When I mentioned that I rode a KLR in addition to my Wing, he mentioned he also was a member of the KilLeR fraternity. A couple of weeks ago PILOT815 and WB both helped me do the DOO on my bike. I really enjoyed the tech day and am most grateful for their help. Casa WB has to have the best garage set up I have ever seen!

Short bio: Started riding in '93 when I told the wife, "it's either I get a bike or a MOVIDA!" I was hoping for the movida but went out and bought a Honda PC800. Had that bike for a couple of years before moving up to a 1996 ST1100 which I had for about 10yrs and took my first cross country trip up to Wisconsin. In 2006 bought my current GoldWing. And this past October I bought the '09 KLR 650. I really enjoy riding the KLR and have already ridden it about 6K miles.

I look forward to meeting all the local and not so local inmates soon.
mar7 is offline   Reply With Quote