Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Thing One and Thing Two's V Strom Hack Build

Thing One and Thing Two are Four!

As many of you know last year when they were three, I built them a sidecar for the DRZ400.
The DRZ400 build is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571308
The DRZ outfit was a total hit. We rode it nearly every day last year from April to November. It has been a great rig for us but I wanted to be able to travel long distances by sidecar and the DRZ was limited to around town use and back roads. As soon as that rig was finished I was already building the next rig in my mind. I learned a lot from that build and riding that rig for a year. This time the boys would sit side-by-side, I would build it on a big twin liter bike, have enough carrying capacity to go camping and have the ability to maintain interstate speeds. Again it would need to have a full roll cage and the boys would be restrained by five point harnesses. I would need more than a drill press to make holes and more than a rattle can to paint it. I started watching Craigs List and over time things started following me home.
This:
This:
This:
This:
I had an idea for the body covering and decided to take a flier and started talking to experimental aircraft builders and manufacturers.
In early December I was ready to begin on the project and had planned to hack my 950 Adventure. But when I began to take it apart it quickly became apparent that it would be a difficult platform to properly hack. Also, Mrs. Boxertwin told me she didn’t want to hear me bitching and whining after I ruined the most perfect motorcycle I’ve ever owned. She said, “Go buy an effin motorcycle for the project.” Bless that woman. I found a used 2003 V Strom in southwest Oregon the week before Christmas and raced a snow storm to get it. It was dumping snow and rain when I arrived at the sellers home, so I didn’t bother to ride the bike. I had the pleasure of driving home through that snow storm.

The next day when I unloaded the bike from the trailer, the snow had mostly melted and I rode the bike about a mile around my neighborhood. This was my first ride on a V Strom. I rode the bike into the garage and up onto the table, where it would reside until 10 days ago.
Special thanks again to Mrs. Boxertwin for putting up with me, inmate Stephen for sharing ideas and confirming over and over that I do have OCD, Claude for early conversations, and of course the Things for giving me a reason to do this.
I started work on the project over the New Year weekend with the intention of being finished by June. In late January or early February I discovered the Chelan Sidecar Rally thread, and quickly reset my completion goal so that I could attend the rally with the new outfit. Somewhere along the way I learned that it is takes a shitwad of work to get a rig like this done in about 18 weeks while still trying to do life.
The boys were a huge help with this build. They measured, filed, scrubbed, engineered, waited patiently, picked colors, wiped, and helped with final assembly. They learned much about measuring, shop safety, use of tools, and why Daddy barely sleeps.
I completed the rig three days before departing for the Chelan rally. I managed to ride it about 30 miles around town before loading and departing. My round trip distance was 1350 miles. The ride was enjoyable but fatiguing on the way to Chelan as the outfit consistently pulled to the right. It was phenomenal on the return trip after I reduced the toe-in, ride height, and with the help of the Storch’s, increased the lean-out significantly. I am really impressed with the V Strom as a platform and the bike was flawless, especially considering I put it on a long trip without significant ‘proofing’.
There is still a bit of work to do; windshield, snap-on tonneau cover/roof, skid plate, dash for switches, replace the heap of crap linear actuator I bought as it will not maintain it’s altitude, bike seat modification, and eventually a steering modification. Oh, one of these days I will also paint the tug British Racing Green to match the car.

Here it is completed:

I know, enough of the blabbering, you want the damned build pics already. Allright then. Let the flames begin. http://boxertwin.smugmug.com/Other/B...62953853_mnc3A

boxertwin screwed with this post 05-30-2011 at 11:12 PM
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,004
Nice build documentation. Really enjoyed the slideshow. Bucket load of work there.

Thing one & two will enjoy the end result as much as I can see you enjoyed the building of it.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
thanks for the thread
congrats on the award at LAKE CHELAN
LOVE "Thing One" and "Thing Two"
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT View Post
Nice build documentation. Really enjoyed the slideshow. Bucket load of work there.

Thing one & two will enjoy the end result as much as I can see you enjoyed the building of it.
Thanks BMWRSNUT. They are the best build partners. My superheroes on the way to work:
Old 05-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,486

Great documentation. Very cool project!

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Ralph and Greg. I'm trying to figure out what to do with all this free time in the evenings now. Sleep. Ahh.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
those 2 pictures above...
i wish i could hang those in my pediatric office
those are the cutest kids
fantastic
glad you shared those pictues, too
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,181
Lookin good.

Good thing you had Thing 1 and Thing 2 to keep you from doin' things wrong. Good thing you had Sweet Thing to talk you out of ruining the 950. Give'em all hugs from me.

And see about that saddle before I come up there in the fall, wouldja?

Way to go, Bro. That turned out real nice.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Good thing you had Thing 1 and Thing 2 to keep you from doin' things wrong. Good thing you had Sweet Thing to talk you out of ruining the 950. Give'em all hugs from me.

And see about that saddle before I come up there in the fall, wouldja?

Way to go, Bro. That turned out real nice.
Thanks Captain. Really, Thanks. You were a huge help from 1,700 miles away, even though you never lifted a finger, you lazy slug.
The saddle goes up the street to Dave next week to raise and widen. I just need to have the Suz dealer locate 3 rubber blocks first so it sits flat. Buuuut, I'm thinking that I should use plastic, wood, or delrin home built blocks. If I do that I would be able to belt sand or mill them to level the saddle when it's all done to compensate for the bike's lean-out. My hips and low back will thank me.
After the saddle is done I will see about new bars, grip heaters, and plate for switches and plugs.

I'd like to get the forks built in time for our trip but loathe the idea of taking the rig out of commission during the summer. It might have to wait until after Thanksgiving time when our weather turns.

boxertwin screwed with this post 05-27-2011 at 10:17 AM
Old 05-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,293
Boxertwin--

After seeing the rig in person at Chelan, and as a former Yellow V-Strom owner, I was very impressed with the build like everybody else. But a few things stood out as special to me. (1) you relocated the bike's oil cooler--not easy or obvious but you did a super job. (2) the separately mounted master cylinder and brake pedal arrangement for the sidecar wheel--verging on brilliant. (3) the HUGE foot platforms! I would never call them "pegs". (4) the very cool mounting point for the steering stabilizer--WHAAAT?

There were many other cool things about this build.

One suggestion--you should put a screen over the oil cooler. There are some fancy aftermarket ones, but I'm sure you could cobble up something unique and cool yourself. That's about it! Hope we will run into each other again (not literally.)
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Boxertwin--

After seeing the rig in person at Chelan, and as a former Yellow V-Strom owner, I was very impressed with the build like everybody else. But a few things stood out as special to me. (1) you relocated the bike's oil cooler--not easy or obvious but you did a super job. (2) the separately mounted master cylinder and brake pedal arrangement for the sidecar wheel--verging on brilliant. (3) the HUGE foot platforms! I would never call them "pegs". (4) the very cool mounting point for the steering stabilizer--WHAAAT?

There were many other cool things about this build.

One suggestion--you should put a screen over the oil cooler. There are some fancy aftermarket ones, but I'm sure you could cobble up something unique and cool yourself. That's about it! Hope we will run into each other again (not literally.)
Hi Drone,

Thanks for the kind words. Good suggestion on the oil cooler screen. Also, a fender extension for the front fender to keep rocks off the oil filter, radiator, and the boys. Man, the to do list keeps growing.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,922
Any more pictures of this in operation?