Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #346
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Awesome stuff--------------so little single track left-----but you guys have really found some great stuff.

Most people now-a-days don't have a clue what real single track is. They say they rode single track all day and all the pictures they post you could drive a jeep down. I rode thousands of miles of it in my day--------but sadly at my age I've had to tame it down a notch or 2

thanks for the memories.

BigDog

BigDog,

I have read your reports and you have a talent for sniffing out the scenic backcountry stuff. Like you, ET has the same talent and sniffed out seldom used singletrack on Spring Creek Trail. After finishing Spring Creek Trail we said that we would recount that story around the campfire for many years to come.

I'm teetering on the edge of notching down a bit. I'm not sure how many more rocky switchback tumbles I can endure.

My eyes are going bad too. I need reading glasses on my goggles to see the GPS.

Regards,

Jakbrand

jakbrand screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 08:09 AM
jakbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #347
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,489
Ogden-Tetons-Ogden July 2013 Day 5 Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtv View Post
After the celebrations, we all went back into the room at the oven, that is, motel, not imagining the nasty surprise the night would bring upon the party...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
OMG! Dwip modelled his award?
That would have been a "tragic surprise" rather than a "nasty surprise"…

But no, the unfortunate surprise was this:

All night long…as skinny as eh is, he was so dehydrated he was basically a sack of bones…

It was either giardiasis from the water we had filtered a couple of days ago, or something he ate last night. I drank significantly more filtered water than he did, so I was suspicious about the diagnosis of giardiasis. Plus he didn't have a fever. But, we all ate the same hamburgers at the local grill... I had brought with me metronidazole to deal with giardia, but didn't give it to him because I wasn't' sure that's what he had. Hard to tell. Anyhow, after thinking about all sorts of options (riding to Jackson, riding back to Ogden, abandoning him, etc.) and seeing that he was very weak but not getting worse, that morning we concocted what we thought was a reasonable plan: call eh's wife who lives in Denver, ask her to fly to Salt Lake City, then pick up his camper in Ogden and drive the 220 miles to Swan Valley to pick him up. Fortunately she found a flight leaving later that morning and arriving to Salt Lake around 1 PM. That is love! We texted her the exact location of the camper in Ogden, arranged with the manager for a pick up, texted her a picture of the the contract where the camper was, phone numbers, etc., texted her a pin of the exact current location of eh and a picture of the hotel, phone numbers, etc. and prepaid the room for one extra day and the Swan Valley RV park for her arrival so they could spend the night with the camper's AC. We bought water, gatorade, antiemitic, antidiarrhoeal, coconut water, etc. and told the housekeeper to keep an eye on him.

And then? What else? We said our good-byes to him and went riding . We reasoned if we were that sick on a moto trip and had three friends we would tell them to leave me here, go ride. In fact he said that, but I think he was too delirious to think things through. I told his wife we did all we could to not feel too guilty about leaving him alone and go ride…

So anyhow, our idea was to ride for a few hours and come back early PM to check on him. By then his wife should technically be on her way to pick him up. If she could not make it, then we would spend an extra night there with him...

So, first order of business was breakfast:

And then there were three… Not sure why I smiled in this pic…we certainly didn't think about the risk of eating there again. It was the only game in town. Smile seems cruel anyway, but like jakbrand said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakbrand View Post
riders will experience on every tour we plan:

1. eat marginal food
2. sleep in substandard conditions
3. ride challenging terrain

One of these three guarantees usually induces a member of our party to punch-out early. All I can say is that four started and three finished.
We will never know the true cause of eh's fight with the toilet bowl and the trash bucket.

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 08:24 PM
ejtv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #348
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Such a sweet RR!! Love it!!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #349
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Ogden-Tetons-Ogden July 2013 Day 5 Part 2

The late morning ride was supposed to be a beautiful ride through Rainey Creek, on the Caribou NF, east of Swan Valley where the MVU indicated several single tracks. Easy enough for our waitress' motorcyclling grandmother, I am not making this up, she told us…

Instead we found it extremely challenging: steep, rocky and very technical...perhaps we're truly getting too old for this stuff. Rainey Creeek was what we called that day the first of several "dead end trails" if you catch my drift: trails too difficult for our skill, conditioning and energy level…even without all of our camping gear that we had left back at the motel in Swan Valley…

Here's dwip on our first of several crossings of Rainy Creek, taking no chances, all out:

True to his submarine nickname, he needed a periscope and got soaked anyway, as much as if he would have dropped her…

Here's jakbrand taking a more conservative approach:

Entering our own Checkpoint 13, Idaho's Little Erzberg's Carl's Diner:

The end of this trail…jakbrand turns around after attempting to wheelie his way to the other side of the creek, of course the pictures don't do justice to how steep the bank was, etc.

We then headed back toward the TH to find another single track, Corral Canyon that could short cut us to our original route up to Mike Spenser Canyon. Again, this was another "dead end trail"

End of the trail:

And on the way back:

We then headed back to Swan Valley to check on eh. Here's jakbrand exaggerating our accomplishments for the day so far in front of an unsuspecting couple…yeah we made it all the way up to Upper Rainey Creek with these incredible vista's of the Tetons and the valleys below, etc...

eh was indeed stable and starting to retain some liquids. His wife had arrived to Salt Lake and was on her way to Ogden.

Our plan therefore was to pack our stuff up and leave him at the motel while we made our way over to Driggs through interesting single track to stage our "assault on Table Mountain"

ejtv screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 07:14 PM
Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #350
jakbrand
93 octane

I prefer to ride loop trails, but the spur trails around Rainy Creek included all the elements we look for on any trip, challenging singletrack, creek crossings and awesome mountain scenery. Plus we needed to check on EH around noon, so we didn't want to roam too far from Swan Valley.

I still had a difficult time believing that our waitress from Angus Cafe rode Rainy Creek Trail with her grandmother.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #351
jakbrand
93 octane

One down, three to go...

After confirming EH stabilized condition, Dwip, ET and I headed towards Driggs, Idaho via Garns Mountain.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #352
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Here's hoping that EH feels his chipper self post haste!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #353
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Ogden-Tetons-Ogden July 2013 Day 5 Part 3

So the planned route to Driggs called for us to ride on single tracks all the way to Garns Mountain and Driggs via Fleming Canyon. Unfortunately this trail turned out to be another of those "dead-end trails" for us…Lots of fun, great vistas, rocky, steep, super technical, etc.

Here's the last of several nasty little switchbacks:

Followed immediately by a steep section with a nasty step-up and a protruding root, followed by a narrowing steep trail with a good size drop.... dwip and I struggled making our way over it. jakbrand decided to MX his way with a jump over the whole thing…the stupidest thing he did the whole trip he told us…so stupid he scared himself Unfortunately I could not record the feat as there was no place to park the moto and observe.

Fleming Canyon continued its climb until we made it to the ridge of the mountain. This whole section was truly spectacular.

Here's jakbrand at the very ridge.

From there the trail took us from one side of the ridge to the other (jakbrand has a few pics in his post above), until we hit a climb so steep and so much lose dirt that dwip was on all fours trying to get to the top, and, with several 2 foot high steps punctuated by roots on top of each. It was very nasty looking. I was leading and stopped right before the first root and gave up while I could. A fall on the wrong side of the climb would have been a couple of extra hours of work extracting the bike….At that point we all decided this was the dead end of this trail and that we would slab it to Driggs.

We got to Driggs in time to eat at a great Thai restaurant and even rest a little bit, do laundry, buy supplies, change oil, etc. as we prepared for tomorrow's hike in the Tetons.

Room with a view. Table Top Mountain right below and to the left of the Tetons.

ejtv screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 08:29 AM
Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #354
jakbrand
93 octane

Independence Day

To celebrate July 4th Dwip, ET and I hiked to Table Mountain in the Tetons. We rode motos from Driggs to the trailhead. I was wearing shorts and light jacket and felt very uncomfortable tooling along the mountain road without my regular ride gear. Amazing how a person gets accustomed to wearing All Gear All The Time.

As we hiked, I reflected on Theodore Roosevelt's comment when he toured the Tetons. TR scanned the majestic mountain range and simply said, "...this is how mountains are supposed to look."

Table Top far right, Grand Teton in the middle

looking down the canyon to Jenny Lake

jakbrand screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 09:53 AM
Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #355
=[BAD]=TEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Awsome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakbrand View Post
I prefer to ride loop trails, but the spur trails around Rainy Creek included all the elements we look for on any trip, challenging singletrack, creek crossings and awesome mountain scenery.

YES! AWSOME! MY THINKING EXACTLY!
=[BAD]=TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #356
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Ogden-Tetons-Ogden July 2013 Day 6

I know ADV Ride Reports is about motorcycle riding only, but we have always advocated for a ride and hike approach to the mountains. As cool as riding a dirt bike on singletrack is, many areas are off-limits to motos; besides, eventually to really experience the mountains you have to take all the gear off, and get mountain dirt under your nails. So, rest day on this trip was a six mile hike up to Table Top Mountain to take a close look at the Tetons.

These are all pics of jakbrand because we were too slow for dwip…he didn't even see the moose as he speed-hiked all the way to the top...

Crossing North Fork Teeton Creek, freeeeeezing!

Here I am, enjoying the sights. Truly a worthwhile hike; highly recommended.

This one is taken on the way down. Interesting cloud cover. You can see Tabletop to the right of the Tetons:

We were exhausted by the time we got back to Driggs for a very late lunch.

dwip paid for the speek-hike effort by going to sleep by early afternoon, skipping dinner and waking up 12 hours later; first the hotel lobby's couch, then to the room…

Overall a great day

ejtv screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 08:13 PM
Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #357
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,088
Amazing photos, ive snowmobiled in the tetons that was amazing also.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #358
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Ogden-Tetons-Ogden July 2013 Day 7 Part 1

Now we really had to play serious catch up to get back to Salt Lake on time for moto maintenance, clearing of storage unit in preparation for our trip to Spokane later in August and our flights home, so unfortunately we had to skip a lot, and I mean a lot, of single track on the Wyoming side of the Caribou NF and instead stick to fast riding gravel roads. Still, we had a great time and saw incredible scenery: east up to Teton Pass, then south along Fall Creek Road and then SE along the Snake River on 89, for example.

Here we are eating breakfast at Alpine Junction, probably the best breakfast and overall ambiance of the trip. Unfortunately I didnt catch the name of the place, maybe jakband did.

No, we're not sponsored by Klim. But we should. If anybody has a contact there, let us know:

We continued making great time south along Greys River knowing we were missing incredible single track and ATV trails on either side of the river

I don't know about the other guys, but I am coming back to this area to ride some more for sure.

As soon as we exited the Caribou NF, the landscape changed too. Here we are making our way to the east shores of Bear Lake:

Old 07-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #359
jakbrand
93 octane

Catch up day

We were exactly one day behind schedule. All hope of completing today's planned singletrack sections withered with the prospect of covering nearly 300 miles in one day as we headed back towards SLC. We shifted into 4th and 5th gear on mix of paved and gravel roads from Driggs to Bear Lake. Most of the route followed either the mighty Snake River or scenic Greys River.

Dwip ran out of fuel a few miles before Bear Lake, so I let him "borrow" a splash of gas.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #360
jakbrand
93 octane

Bear Lake

Triple digit temperatures harassed us as we approached the inviting turquoise water of Bear Lake.

Off with the gear....

time for a quick dip before dinner!

jakbrand screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 03:36 PM