Old 06-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #91
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbarDP48 View Post
Well here's the video
http://youtu.be/dTlKVrjyU8g

Awesome vid. You guys have some gps coordinates for devils lane?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #92
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,354
Grand Utah Roulette Day 2

Early Sunday morning on Devil's Lane:

The climb out of Bobby's Hole:

It wasn't the steepness but the sand, lose rock and lack of grip. Here's dwip, pushing the bike on his own all the way up:

jakbrand was the only one who cleared the climb without stalling or needing help. Here he is riding my bike:

Here's ebarDP48 on his loaded KTM 690...:

We unloaded each bike and hiked gear up the climb. Latitude 40 Maps rates this climb as a double "D", just like several other climbs around Moab such as Elephant Hill, Pritchett, Moab Rim, Murphy, Hardscrabble, Rose Garden, etc., but this is the only double D with the admonition: "May be impassable for most 4WD vehicles." jakbrand wasn't expecting that, I am sure.

Here's tbang giving it a go:

Took us about an hour and change to ride/carry all six bikes and gear up the climb. They don't call it Bobby's Hole for nothing.

Beef Basin was a nice break from the technical sections that preceded:

Climbing the Abajo Mountains to cool off a bit:

For those of you who saw the video above, the blue jettisoned bag is being carried by me and not jeeps...

So my third and fourth mechanicals were inability to get the bike started once after stopping and once after crashing. I could only restart the bike on downhills. Below is my fifth mechanical along the flattest section of road that day, Gooseberry Rd….the bike simply quit. We diagnosed it as a fuel pump issue, these WR's being fuel injected, we could not hear the fuel pump priming...

2 miles prior to this failure, ebarDP48 spotted a rope wound up between my rear disk break and spokes. Rather than cut it and leave it behind, I unwound it and saved it…little did I know I would use it, shown above being connected between both WRs, so that tbang could tow me back several miles until we found a suitable downhill to get my bike restarted.

Once I got to Hite, I decided to call the Grand Utah Roulette quits, and slab it back to Moab. Tbang decides to accompany me, out of solidarity, a father-son thing he said. Our hope was to find a fuel pump replacement Monday. I later would learn fuel pumps are a very common failure point for these 2008 WR250R's. I just wish Yamaha would have simply recalled these machines so that my trip wouldn't be ruined. How many other trips have been ruined out there by these pump failures? Apparently very high temperatures affect the defective 2008 fuel pumps and the onboard chip shuts them off. The flow of fuel through the pump on a downhill start cools it, hence the ability to get the bikes restarted in that fashion. Just a theory, but fits the facts.

At Hite, another rider, D, wasn't feeling that great after Bobby's Hole and the heat and decided to return to Moab...ebarDP48, out of solidarity, accompanied D back…

And then there were two...

So dwip and jakbrand gave each other high five's for getting rid of their 5 companions and were left to continue the Grand Utah Roulette by their lonesome selves.…

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 08:42 PM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #93
EbarDP48
Got Adventure?

Oddometer: 819
One more video before we leave Devils Lane.

http://youtu.be/knLiqo8cYAU

Once you've gone adventure, you can never go back.
============================
09 KTM 530, 07 KTM 300 XC, 07 Triumph Tiger,1967 Honda P50, 2001 Honda XR70,
EbarDP48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #94
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 181
Yammys

ET,

Your WR's will meet any dual sport challenge with success after they receive a fuel pump transplant. The big fuel tank and suspension upgrade was money well spent. I like those plucky 250's, especially the beefy steel kick stand.

tbang cruising up Elephant Hill
Old 06-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #95
EbarDP48
Got Adventure?

I just want to add that as usual...unless you've ridden some of these sections, the pictures do little to provide a real perspective of how difficult this climb actually is.
Pictures never do justice to being there.
Bert

And looking uphill towards the summit of "Bobby's Hole"

Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #96
EbarDP48
Got Adventure?

Quote:
At Hite, another rider, D, wasn't feeling that great after Bobby's Hole and the heat and decided to return to Moab...ebarDP48, out of solidarity, accompanied D back…
We took advantage of ejtv's Yamaha starting problems by waiting in the shade of the first real trees we'd seen since we'd left Moab. During this time D got real quite and then turned a nice shade of green. It wasn't long before he heaved everything except his boots.
I've been there and I know how difficult it is to ride when you're sick but D pressed on towards Hite.

I asked for a sign once we stopped in Hite and D gave me the ol "Thumbs up"

But not long after this was taken he almost collapsed. We got some fluids in him, but he was done.
I knew that we were behind schedule and that Dwip and JakBrand needed to head on out without further delay.
I didn't feel right leaving D in Hite alone...especially considering that we didn't know his true condition.
JakBrand, Dwip and D all protested that I should continue on the ride, but I finally convienced them to go on ahead without me.
This would be the end of my ride in Utah this time....But, by the next day I'd devised a plan.
I decided to make the best of a bad situation as I waited for D to recover long enough to ride...or bury him.
Here are a few pictures of Hite.

I looked up" middle of nowhere" in the dictionary and found this picture leading into Hite Utah.

Utah really is a great place to ride. If you ever get the chance....say YES!!

More on my alternate plans in a different ride report.
Bert

EbarDP48 screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 05:47 PM
Old 06-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #97
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,465
Great pics and ride!
Please link your next part "alternate plans" here.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #98
EbarDP48
Got Adventure?

Quote:
Great pics and ride!
Please link your next part "alternate plans" here.

I'll include the link to our revised ride in this report...but here's a teaser.
Bert

Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #99
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Wicked Grand Utah Roulett--additional Day 1 & 2 pics

(Courtesy of jakbrand)

Near or at Hurrah Pass:

Elephant Hill:

Devil's Lane:

Bobby's Hole:

Portaging luggage up Bobby's Hole:

Beef Basin or thereabouts:

Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #100
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Grand Utah Roulette Day 3

So yesterday, Grand Utah Roulette Day 2, Sunday, the group splits in three. My son and I slab it from Hite to Moab with a defective fuel pump, an hour later and ebarDP48 and D slab it to Moab to meet their third partner T, who had split Day 1, and jakbrand and dwip continue to Boulder via Henry Mountains and Burr trail on the original track and plan to camp at the North Rim's Point Sublime Monday night.

Well, we get to Moab Sunday and Dwip calls me that evening from Boulder to tell me his KTM's front sprocket is really worn and he's starting to have trouble, could I locate one for him…right, sure I can...

So it is Sunday night now and I am a little bit frustrated. Yamaha shop in Moab is closed until Tuesday, so we would waste for sure at least two days and the chances of finding a WR fuel pump nearby? Nill. I post questions on ADVrider and find out how the heat affects these WR pumps…

One alternative is to play around the La Sals or go back to Colorado in the hopes that cooler weather wouldn't affect the fuel pump and get to Moab to catch our Saturday AM flight to Baton Rouge.

Another alternative, rent a bike. We called Utah Dual Sport. We had heard they rented KTM's. Owner Jim was very friendly. Indeed he had KTM's ready to go. And, I also heard him say he can trailer them. We asked if he could drop the KTM and my son's WR all the way to Escalante…He said yes. And he also has a KTM front sprocket….

So Monday morning we still haven't decided what to do. We're getting ready to go to breakfast, and I cannot find the key to my WR. I look everywhere. I end up having to use the spare. I get on my WR, it starts, but as I approach the first stoplight it feels like a rear flat and…yes, a rear flat

All right, someone is trying to tell me something: DO NOT ride this bike. I turn around and park the WR at the hotel we were staying…hoping that nobody would find its key and get any ideas…

And we call Jim, agree to rent a KTM 450 until Friday and get trailered to Escalante. We leave at 2 PM.

Here we are at Dual Sport Utah waiting to get the motorcycles on Jim's trailer:

My idea is to cut off the North Rim excursion that jakbrand and dwip were doing Monday/Tuesday and instead ride from Escalante to Big Water via Smokey Mountain Road, then catch the same trail north to Bryce that we had all originally planned and meet with them at Bryce's pre-determined camping spot to deliver the sprocket…

We texted jakbrand with the plan and as luck would have it, he received the text in the only 15 min window of opportunity he had…

Here we are in Escalante with The Desert Doctor who we had met four years prior in Boulder…it is a small world. I told him I hoped I didn't need his services.

And four years earlier…looks like he lost some weight!

So after the doctor leaves, here's the next mechanical, a blown fuse in my son's WR…

I don' t even know what to think. Maybe we connected too many electronics…between iPhone, GPS, battery charger for camera, etc…but we never had this issue before…In any event, we locate a spare in the fuse box and get on the road finally around 6 or 7 PM!!!

And bush camp on the Smokey Mountain Rd

ejtv screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 05:09 PM
Old 06-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #101
EbarDP48
Got Adventure?

Edwardo,
Noboby could say you didn't do everything possible to complete this ride.
I'm glad to see you overcame the setbacks with your Yamaha and caught back up with the group.
Now get back to the ride report so I can know how the rest of the trip went.
Bert

Old 06-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #102
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 181
Last Two Standing

5 riders gone....2 to go.

Dwip and I continued west via Burr Trail to Boulder (Utah) where we splurged on dinner at Hells Backbone Cafe. Dinner topic centered on how five experienced riders could disappear after two days and if we were all doomed to failure.

Capitol Reef

Long Canyon

The next day we tracked south across Grand Staircase Escalante and Kaibab Plateau to Point Sublime at Grand Canyon north rim.

near Big Water

Campsite at Point Sublime

Although ET and Tbang intended to rejoin Grand Utah Roulette somewhere near Bryce, we knew that possiblity was remote.

jakbrand screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 01:22 PM
jakbrand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #103
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,788
Thumb Really enjoying this RR,

Ride on...
Old 06-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #104
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Grand Utah Roulette Day 4 (Part 1)

The night was very windy, probably around 20-25 knots. Tarps survived. Just needed to be smart about placement behind some protection.

Sunrise at Smokey Mountain Road campsite:

Not quite Point Sublime, but it'll do...

Breakfast:

One of the things I experimented with this trip was to see if we could self support (with the exception of fuel and water) all of our needs, including all the food for 7 days. It is possible, but the weight, despite all food being dehydrated except for Cliff and Luna bars and mostly ultra-light tarps, poles, sleeping bags, shoes, etc., does make the very technical sections more challenging.... Note the stove, titanium, solid fuel ESBIT tablets or wood and titanium pot. I estimate total weight of our giant loops around 20-25 lbs at Day 1. Heaviest items inside the Giant Loop were food, followed by tools/tubes and next first aid kit.

Leaving campsite and heading to Alstrom Point:

More Smokey Mountain Rd:

Kelly Grade and descent into Lake Powell was out of this world…no wonder it was used for scenes for the original Planet of the Apes…

George Taylor, played by Charlton Heston, and two other astronauts after crash-landing back to earth around 2600 AD...

Playing around Alstrom Point:

Alstrom Point is stunning,

but upon reflection, also bitter-sweet...knowing that where the boats now play and still water now sits there was once dry canyon land, and that

"...the river was no longer there. Somebody had removed the Colorado River. This was old news to Smith, but to Hayduke, who knew of it only by hearsay, the discovery that the river was indeed gone came as a jolt. Instead of a river he looked down on a motionless body of murky green effluent, dead, stagnant, dull, a scum of oil floating on the surface. On the canyon walls a coating of dried silt and mineral salts, like a bathtub ring, recorded high-water mark. Lake Powell: storage pond, silt trap, evaporation tank and garbage dispose-all, a 180-mile-long incipient sewage lagoon…."
The Monkey Wrench Gang--Edward Abbey

ejtv screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 07:08 PM
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #105
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Grand Utah Roulette Day 4 (Part 2)

From Alstrom Point we make it to Big Water to refuel, eat a snack, and drench our clothing in water--nature's AC in the desert--before heading out again, slabbing on 89 west for a few miles to rejoin the original route that jakbrand had prepared to enter into Bryce from the south. Here we are as we turned north from 89:

The dirt road got narrower and sandier after this gate…

What happened next is not documented in pics and is the stuff you cannot plan…the sandy trail turns and climbs up a narrow canyon until, after a 90 degree left turn, it climbs up a veeery steep wall of sugary sand. The KTM 450 made it half way up the climb. The WR 250 about 1/4 of the way up. We both turned around and tried there times, same results…so we resigned ourselves to the inevitable, unloading of the giant loops, carrying them up the climb and walking the bikes. The KTM made it first after much huffing and puffing....

Then as we were starting to work on the 250, we hear the sound of another motorcycle. We know jakbrand and dwip were not ahead of us because the sand had been without any recent tire marks, but could this be them?…So we get the 250 out of the way as best we could and I walked down the climb right at the 90 degree left turn and yelled GO GO GO!!! as jakbrand stared stunned at all the information overload: a maniac yelling go go go, a bike thrown to the side, a wall of sugary sand and his 530 leisurely putting along in first gear…he tried hard, but it happened, the KTM went down for the first and last time the whole week, something veeery seldom seen…

Then came Dwip, same result.... Jakbrand then turned around, got the 530 up to speed and second gear and sailed to the top effortlessly, like snowboarding on fresh powder.... Dwip tried a couple of more times and eventually we walked his bike up the climb. Finally jakbrand tried with the 250 three or four times, just not enough HP, and then he walked it up with Tbang's help.

So here we are resting in the shade at the top, in disbelief that we had found each other on that trail:

Jakbrand on the right, having the worst and longest coughing and spell we had ever seen, surely a cracked rib would be possible, and Dwip smiling on the left, hoping, Herzberg Rodeo style, that he would be the last Grand Utah Roulette rider standing if jakbrand kept coughing…

ejtv screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 09:35 PM