Mark_O
Drain Bamaged

Oddometer: 15,092
Glad it wasn't worse. Heal quickly.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:17 AM   #1367
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
Hope its not too bad Shane!! Let us know please if Barb and I can help you in any way. Will call you later on Monday.

Silke, I have seen a lot of waste oil being dumped on Madison backroads recently. It appears to me that someone has something like a truck with an oil barrel or small tanker and they open a spout at the bottom and drive up the mountains, usually at night, and dump waste oil. It can sometimes leave a streak for miles and surely this would not be an accidental spill. This appears to be going downhill but I have seen that as well if the tank was full and just opened. We have been watching for this and will get a tag number and report if we see it happening. Its very slick when fresh and for weeks when damp or wet. Its hard to see in the rain so very dangerous. This is happening in Haywood too...saw lots of it yesterday and Saturday! Ed

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:07 AM   #1368
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrff View Post
.......... I have seen a lot of waste oil being dumped on Madison backroads recently. It appears to me that someone has something like a truck with an oil barrel or small tanker and they open a spout at the bottom and drive up the mountains, usually at night, and dump waste oil. It can sometimes leave a streak for miles and surely this would not be an accidental spill. This appears to be going downhill but I have seen that as well if the tank was full and just opened. We have been watching for this and will get a tag number and report if we see it happening. Its very slick when fresh and for weeks when damp or wet. Its hard to see in the rain so very dangerous. This is happening in Haywood too...saw lots of it yesterday and Saturday! Ed
This makes more sense, I was looking at the streak in the previous pictures, and it didn't make sense. If it were a cap left ajar, the oil streak would be to the outside of a corner, and when following this one it crosses to the inside at the apex. I agree looks intentional to me.

A quick question, have the authorities in either county been alerted?? If the offender was caught, seems like reckless endangerment charges would be appropriate, and if someone killed, manslaughter might be charged too.

As far as a tag number, if I saw it and knew it was intentional, a better idea would be said truck with driver found at the bottom of the river.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #1369
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,657
Glad it wasn't worse, Shane. Heal quick

Also glad you were there, Silke... as bad as the situation was, it had to be a great luxury to have a friend roll up.
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #1370
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
This makes more sense, I was looking at the streak in the previous pictures, and it didn't make sense. If it were a cap left ajar, the oil streak would be to the outside of a corner, and when following this one it crosses to the inside at the apex. I agree looks intentional to me.
Not convinced - it's a very steep part, and the oil was only present in the steep sections. I think, if you really try to spill on purpose you'd spill everywhere otherwise it just takes too long

Also, because the turns on this road are tight and have a lot of rafting trucks/trailers going up and down, I would also start wide - within my lane - and get close to the apex (unless you don't know the road and blow the turn).
Old 03-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #1371
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
Ooof! I hate it when that happens.

I know what you mean!

Get well Shane..

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #1372
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,406
Shane ..Heal fast fully and well...
Dang that sux....

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #1373
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Here is another view. The oil starts pretty much where is was standing and tapered off towards the end

Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #1374
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,908
I am so sorry. Heal quickly. As a previous poster said, it's great when friendlies roll up on the scene.

I once followed a truck that was spilling oil all over 209.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #1375
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Update:

Urgent Care took x-rays and confirmed a "jagged nasty collar bone break". Now the guys are on the hunt for an orthopedist in AVL that will see him and fix him up.

Any suggestions from the locals
Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #1376
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,501
ugh. Good luck and heal up quick.
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #1377
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,233
just puttin' around in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
ugh. Good luck and heal up quick.

Dang.

Crashing sucks.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #1378
Laconic
Aņejo

Oddometer: 16,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
Update:

Urgent Care took x-rays and confirmed a "jagged nasty collar bone break". Now the guys are on the hunt for an orthopedist in AVL that will see him and fix him up.

I think Carol is satisfied with the way her ankle came out. Dr. King, at that hospital at the bottom of 209 on 74, I forget the name...
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #1379
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
Update:

A good friend from Charlotte was in a bad wreck in TX, on his way back from Baja, Surgery is today or tomorrow in AVL.

The guys at Eurosport BMW referred him to a cracker-jack Orthopedic in AVL, and he came with credentials strong enough for him to travel to AVL, vs getting surgery in Charlotte. Might want to give them a call over there, and see who they recommend.

Heal fast!
Old 03-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #1380
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Found it in another forum: Dr Large at Mission Hospital in Asheville

If that doesn't work, best way to find the best Dr is to ask a nurse that works in a hospital, or ask a PT, they can separate the wheat from the chaff for you.

PFFOG screwed with this post 03-03-2014 at 09:51 AM