Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 04:39 AM   #31
Peter640
Peter 640

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winko100 View Post
Ah edog you poor fool

you're missing the best bit - get yourself over the bridge and into God's Own Country

Croeso i Gymru

ps - Go the Beemer!!
Unfortunately Wales didnt fully break off from the mainland and the resulting crack is the Bristol Channel!

Go the Triumph!

MM
Old 06-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #32
edog200 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Just arrived in Jaca

Darren and I have just arrived in Jaca, pronounced Hacka. The ferry get off was amazing as there would have been about 150 may be more bikes in the ship. I've got some great footage of that and will post hopefully later this evening once I get a feed.

Once we rode out of the madness of Santander, it was off to Bilbao on multilane high quality roads with safe drivers.......so far.

After Bilbao the scenery became more dramatic and beautiful as we headed north east. The road gently meandered between rugged mountains and fields and then we were hit with our first storm. Two more were to follow.

I had one moment that I would rate in my top 5 in thirty years of riding. It was pissing down rain on the freeway and went to pass a car and it hit a patch of water flowing over the roadway, the contents of which landed on my visor. I had a complete wash out with no visibility for at least 2 maybe three seconds. I just held it straight and prayed. I really don't want any more of those moments.

Now a bike tip for those heading to Jaca in Spain. We have stumbled across a really bike friendly hotel called A Boira at C/ Valle deAnso. 3. Very reasonably priced for a twin share at 60 Euros, with a fantastic bike garage, wi fi and great rooms.

Heading out to eat, and if not too tired when I come back will post some quick GOPRO footage.

edog200 screwed with this post 06-07-2011 at 03:38 AM
edog200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #33
Winko100
Ewe Beaudy!

Oddometer: 3
Twin Share, WiFi & Great Rooms..??

Ah Edog, I knew it!

Did you even pack a tent..??

BTW - tell us about the comms setup

Winco
Winko100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:17 AM   #34
Desert2202
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
I had a stock 2007 990 Adv S and the fuel ecomomy was bloody terrible, from full tanks to bone dry empty I could only get 274km and that was on road, not going over 110kph, no gear or passenger and being light on the throttle. I was very disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog200 View Post
This fuel economy is bothering me a little....160 kilometres on 16.5 litres, that's worse than a small car! The majority of that test was in a ferocious head wind that nearly took my head off. But I wasn't giving it any stick. It just seems high to me. I think I might hunt around ADV and get some guidance.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:10 AM   #35
edog200 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Time for a few photos. I'll start with our thunderstorms on the way to Jaca and reach back in time.

This is a normal kind of day in Spain for lightning strikes.

And here is what we went through. I honestly don't know why we weren't vaporised!

On the way into the south west of England.

Here is Darren practising the new craze, planking at Stone Hendge. I suppose that's a modified plank with mobile phone.

This was my first introduction to what I thought were 'Triffids'....What I really meant were Druids...I think it's a paganistic cult. Anyway they were very interesting people committed to reburying remains of the 5000 year old locals who were being held captive in a museum by some researchers.

The film festival brought with it some nostalgic surprises. To actually touch one of the famous round the world Mondo Enduro bikes was a real buzz.

And that famous trade mark.

The edog logo, just doesn't hold the same gravitas.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #36
edog200 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Comms and other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winko100 View Post
Ah Edog, I knew it!

Did you even pack a tent..??

BTW - tell us about the comms setup

Winco
I capitulated and we are cohabiting in Darren's large tent which has a very useful vestibule. Darren says that it has a very big bell end. I 'll keep away from that.

Although cohabiting at the moment it is early days yet. This little fart he does just before waking up has been nick named 'Reveille' after the famous trumpet call to wake the troops, originally practised by the romans.

Comms. Yes interesting point Russ. In my tank bag I have a radio with a speaker mike and that's where it stays. None of this complicated speakers in helmet, push to talk speak.....and the radio isn't water proof.

Two more days in Spain, that is if we don't get stuck in the Pyrennes, and that is likely, and then onto France.....a forecast wet France.

I have made contact with KTM Spain and we meet up with them tomorrow night.

edog200 screwed with this post 06-07-2011 at 06:35 AM
Old 06-08-2011, 03:52 AM   #37
Peter640
Peter 640

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog200 View Post
I have made contact with KTM Spain and we meet up with them tomorrow night.
Make sure you have your KY jelly!

PS Corby wants to sell you his XR for Mike ... speak quick before he gives it away on bike point!

Test rode the BM 800 and new Trumpy today. Tough decision! Both do 400kms to tank!

Enjoy the rain and paella!

Keep the posts coming and dont share any cigarettes with any Druids .... you will go feral

MM
Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #38
Stoffl
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hallo edog,

thaks for sharing your adventure!

What are your plans for europe?
Which countries are you going to visit?

I live in vienna/Austria so maybe I'm able to meet you and ride a few miles with you ;)
Or if you need any help let me know. Maybe I'm able to help you.
Stoffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #39
edog200 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just got into Sort

We have just arrived in Sort, about 1 hour from Andorra. We have had a great day of riding in sunny conditions and it was worth waiting the day in Jaca.

The riding today was nothing short of spectacular. We headed from Jaca to a small village called Fanlo where Darren dropped a load and I picked up a bagget.

Darren made the unfortunate decision to wear his GOPRO harness on whilst going to the toilet and this made for interesting footage that is real scary because there was a mirror on the back of the door. .

More to come. I'll just upload some pictures.

edog200 screwed with this post 06-08-2011 at 09:24 AM
Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #40
edog200 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Some pics hot of the press!

I purchased a bagget at this magnificent ridge top outdoor cafe whilst Darren made the deposit.

The view was fantastic and we made the right decision waiting in Jaca for the weather to clear.

Carrying a bagget is problematic.

Following an amazing ride through a very deep gorge (hopefully a little video later tonight), we stopped for lunch near some ruins.

Some cheese, a spicy spanish sausage, a fresh bagget. Delicious. Although I must confess this photograph doesn't look as appealing as it tasted.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #41
edog200 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
Hallo edog,

thaks for sharing your adventure!

What are your plans for europe?
Which countries are you going to visit?

I live in vienna/Austria so maybe I'm able to meet you and ride a few miles with you ;)
Or if you need any help let me know. Maybe I'm able to help you.
Yes there maybe an opportunity to meet. Please PM your mobile. Another day in Spain, then into France, northern Italy, Suiss, northern Italy (east side), Austria, Czech Republic, Poland (maybe), Germany (fast), Belgium (fast), back to UK.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #42
edog200 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter640 View Post
Make sure you have your KY jelly!

PS Corby wants to sell you his XR for Mike ... speak quick before he gives it away on bike point!

Test rode the BM 800 and new Trumpy today. Tough decision! Both do 400kms to tank!

Enjoy the rain and paella!

Keep the posts coming and dont share any cigarettes with any Druids .... you will go feral

MM
Tough decision on the bikes. The BM 800 is everywhere in Europe. I liked riding the Tiger 800 XC the other day. Don't know if you saw the video, worth a look.

As for the XR, I would love to buy it, but I just can't do it at the moment. And I don't want to string John along. Seriously, we need a bike rationalisation strategy., before we get anymore. Remember I own this 990 over here!....like to keep it.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #43
edog200 OP
Beastly Adventurer

vlog Six

If you like it please rate it.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #44
Penybont
n00b

Oddometer: 4