User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #61
edog200 OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,129
Camping is great in France

The camping facilities have been great in France. Clean, well designed and a pleasant atmosphere. Amenities are always spotless. My only complaint is the wifi is too slow.

Here is a photo from our front gate at the St Clair camping ground I took a couple of minutes ago. Pity the sun is in the wrong place for the photo. For 18 Euros a night on a powered site, this is pretty good value. ( I hope my wife is reading this bit...you know how I'm actually saving money in Europe. )

edog200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:12 AM   #62
gs2008
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Great RR . Keep it coming. Ride Safe
Cheers
Gagan
Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #63
MR Q 0577
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Excellent ride report chaps. I'll be in the Gorges du Verdon area in 5 weeks and cant wait.
What MSR cooker you using? and More importantly how you finding the 990. I wanted 1 but cash restraints pointed me towards the GS800. ( Which i do love).
Keep the report coming. Yeah i'm a noobie here but have read reports on here for sometime and post quite alot on a UK forum

MR Q 0577 screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 08:37 AM Reason: Verdon not Verdun
MR Q 0577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #64
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 777
I'm in....!!
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #65
edog200 OP
Banned

Verdon and Monte Carlo mission complete

7am, Tuesday 14 June. We've just woken to a spectacular sunny day after spending the night in a great little hotel in Sospal at the foot of the French Alps. However the weather report is for rain in the Alps from 2pm, so we are gong to make tracks immediately after breakfast.

The Verdon region was a spectacular ride and appeared to be a bike mecca. It shouldn't be confused with Verdun which is an area further to the north of France.

Unfortunately it was also a mecca for those big bloody, wide, white camper vans.

A big day yesterday. Following the Verdon adventure it was onto Monte Carlo and traffic, turquoise waters, and traffic jams. Not my scene really, but we did ride parts of the F1 Monte Carlo circuit, under the supervision of the local police. Some Italian riders on Harleys lead the way. The Italian's do Harley's different, real different. The girl's helmets we decorated with glitter and colour and looked very stylish. The guys, well they were the cleanest most sophisticated looking Harley rides I've ever seen.

Once out of Monte Carlo and on the way to Sospal the roads, curves and tunnels, were once again thrown out in front of us.

I was glad to see the end of Monte Carlo. It was hot, I had the runs and I was hungry for more twisty roads.

Once out of Monte Carlo and on the way to Sospal the roads, curves and tunnels, were once again thrown out in front of us.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:51 AM   #66
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
enjoying every single post
thanks for sharing
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #67
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog200 View Post
I was glad to see the end of Monte Carlo. It was hot, I had the runs and I was hungry for more twisty roads.
Great ride report, hope you have better weather for the Tour des Grande Alps :-)

Nice place to stay at the toes of the Mont Blanc after doing the Grande Alps (look into Piemonte ;- ) is Auberge de la Nova its eating what the Cook decides but the price is right and costs are low, and people incredibly relaxed.

So much Curves around you will get eventually dizzy and possibly onto the stage of Vomiting :-)

Here at my Girls site you can find little stories about the passes we've done
Alps passes we've done Refuge de Nova is at the end of Cormet de Roselind.

My favourite is the d'Izzouard just for the Scenery alone its out of this world :-)

So Cheer up theres inough curves to come.
(only end of May and the start of June is mostly wet and halfway August, Juli is mostly way to Hot, and September the best :-)

Btw, Auberge (roadside family restaurant?)
An Auberge nowadays is mostly the remaining restaurant, if your low on money, ask for Plat du Jour ou Menu de Jour and Vin de Table, thats the menu for the traveling workers, but some Auberges are what they used to be an Inn where you can Eat Drink and Sleep, sometimes high in the mountains only in Bunk beds, then they are also called Refuge or in Italy Switserland Refugio (Place to get Shelter)

Rema in Paluda screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 11:33 AM
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:31 AM   #68
Winko100
Ewe Beaudy!

Oddometer: 3
Memories

Ah Edog!

having the runs should keep Darren at bay on those lonely nights under canvas

The last time I was at the Gorges Du Verdon, I was about 14 yrs old - gave my step-mother the fright of her life when she caught me balancing on my hands on the edge! Ah yes, the good ol' days when I had strength, balance & courage

What's the latest on the BMW/KTM comparo..?

Have fun chaps

ps - riding to Brisbane with KT2 in 2 weeks, weather permitting
Winko100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #69
edog200 OP
Banned

Made Chamonix!

11pm, Wednesday 15 June.

Just walked back from Chamonix village after having the worst burger known to living man. Darren the effer talked me into eating this, what he termed, gastronomic feast. Basically a large over cooked bun with a pile of chips, a slab of processed beef patty, and something that looked green and red (possibly a frog). Anyway as predicted got indigestion, still recovering. Fortunately there is a hospital across the road. .

However I can't complain too much, Darren's campsite selection is spectacular. We are in the valley of Mont Blanc and when we look out our tent we can see a glacier. Internet access it very good so we will have a crack at up uploading some pics and possibly a video.

We took on a number of passes today that included, Col de Vars, Col d'Izoard (as pictured above), Col de Lautaret, Col de I'lseran (2770 metrs). The weather was perfect and riding conditions, even at altitude, were pleasant.

However, weather in the coming days looks very challenging and we are reassessing our route.

We were going to head to Bologna, but the weather looks bad. We are going to have a lay day tomorrow and then head into Suisse and make our way towards Austria.

Highlights today: Earlier in the day, I nearly took out what looked like a beaver. My wife had told me before I left, not to go beaver hunting, so I did everything I could to miss it. . Later in the day I just missed a little squirrel. It was pretty close, I could see the whites of his eyes.

edog200 screwed with this post 06-15-2011 at 09:24 PM
Old 06-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #70
edog200 OP
Banned

Some pics of today

This campsite was amazing. It had been closed for sometime and we were the first paying customers. France has a heap of great camping spots for reasonable prices. This site was 10 Euros all up for two.

We were camped in a valley not too far from the Italian border and you can see the remnants of a fort built in 1929, to dissuade invading forces, the locals tell us. The campsite manager's father worked at the fort for many years.

The camping ground to ourselves. I've forgotten the name of the village and Darren is asleep now. I'll post that if anyone is interested.

A closer shot of the fort. We've seen similar structures at a number of pinch points, along the way. Machine gun posts are quite intimidating even when long past their use buy date.

But more importantly, today was about riding the Alps. We had the weather. Today everything went our way.

There is Darren way below me.

Hairpins, switch backs, what ever you call them, we had a feast.

But with everything you take the good with the bad. It's 12.10am, and the distant rumbling of thunder is bothering me. But I'm stuffed and I'm going to hit the hay.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #71
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
awesome images continue
that fort really is something
still enjoying every single post
thanks for the trip
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #72
edog200 OP
Banned

7am in Chamonix

Just woke up and grabbed this shot from the tent door. Unfortunately Darren has woken up and is demanding I walk 10 kilometres for some breakfast for him. He says it's only a 100 metres.

Yet again camping conditions are great. Very clean facilities, that work well.
Here is our site.

Now some more shots of yesterday.

We spent a little time in northern Italy yesterday.
Roads in those first few kilometres were a little dodgy, but became better. One highlight was the ride through the Mont Blanc tunnel. I felt like we were under there for hours, but it cut a great deal of time from our ride. The tunnel is a little under 12 kilometres long. Starts cool one end and warms up the other.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #73
edog200 OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR Q 0577 View Post
Excellent ride report chaps. I'll be in the Gorges du Verdon area in 5 weeks and cant wait.
What MSR cooker you using? and More importantly how you finding the 990. I wanted 1 but cash restraints pointed me towards the GS800. ( Which i do love).
Keep the report coming. Yeah i'm a noobie here but have read reports on here for sometime and post quite alot on a UK forum
Darren has a 'Dragon Fly' cooker. Works really well.

The 990 is an interesting question. Love the power and handling, BUT drinks juice like an alcoholic on a binge and the buffetting of the helmet at anything over 100 kph is a little annoying. But it's great in the twisties.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #74
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,804
I seriously know how he feels - been there done that and scared the hell outa meself...

Which is the reason why I keep a TKC80 on the front all the time now. Big big difference to a Tourance or similar on the front and it does not give much away on the tar or wet at all.

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #75
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post
Which is the reason why I keep a TKC80 on the front all the time now. Big big difference to a Tourance or similar on the front and it does not give much away on the tar or wet at all.
Ifi.m not mistaken it was the ABS which prevented any deceleration.

Only ABS working on gravel are F650GS (old) and XT12Z for as far as i know, but lets not get into ABS now, its a *ride Report*

Really nice Pics to enjoy sitting home with the flue, but next time take the Pt St Bernard, bikes are claustrofobic you know, they dont like Tunnels

If you go into Switserland make shure to visit the Old Gotthard Pass, which is called Tremola (to Tremble) on the Italian side, one of the last cobblestone passes in a modernised part of europe. Quite a timetravel experience, allthough not so relaxing when wet

But really well maintained, so really Swisslike clean and dependable:

So you can do the Eightball of Passes there :-)

(think 'Pass' behind, or 'Passo de' infront of every namethat follows :-)
Tremola, Furka, Susten, Furka, Nufenen, Gotthard and you've drawn an drunken figure of Eight on the map..
Now you could take the Oberalp, Bernardino, Splügen, then onto Bernina, to the left la Stretta, Foscagno, in Bormio(no pass) you could opt for the Stelvia, but if i were you go down to the Gavia, on top you'll find a real nice Refuge with good food and bunkbed right across a real Fugly hotel (dont go there...)

Oh wait i'm getting carried away, its your trip, sorry !
You make me log for a trip there !!!
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote