ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #1801
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
done.

ted/anyone in the know - i believe i only booked with myself on the docket - did i need to let them know that i'll have more to the campsite? i booked before anyone committed to the sharing-is-caring aspect.

Ted mentioned a while back that the camp ground knows there are way more people than sites and they will work it out.

Probably when people arrive they will need to pick a spot and then work it out with the person that reserved the site and the campground.

So far, the site I'm on has only 3 campers, there is room for more.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #1802
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
as long we have taken over the whole campsite and waged the war of stinkyness...i think we are all good....if anyone needs accomodation just ride along and ask the inmates for a free site....if not then just crash inbetween the two site...plenty of room.....they are booked solid and are getting the max money for their land...i dont think they care who is there that one day.
Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #1803
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,499
If it s ok with you guys I'll be doing just that.

I also have ot figure out how to DL these routes onto my Streetpilot.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #1804
skypilot
I Roam therefor I am

Oddometer: 636
Agree'ed. I am coming north to ride and to throw money at Canadians. I think if everyone pays their honest doo the campgrounds will make out well and be happy with us regardless of where the tents land.

As long as we act with some base level of respect they will be happy to have us back too. This probably means John Balushi's line about "How much for the litle girl" Is out and harassing the old ladies in campers is considered apropos. While this is an obvious bummer, especialy the use of Belushi's line, my hope is to have the canadian businesses see this motorcycle gathering as a positive regardless of how drunk we get

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
as long we have taken over the whole campsite and waged the war of stinkyness...i think we are all good....if anyone needs accomodation just ride along and ask the inmates for a free site....if not then just crash inbetween the two site...plenty of room.....they are booked solid and are getting the max money for their land...i dont think they care who is there that one day.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #1805
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
Gas on way to Desert Lake

What is the closest gas station to Desert Lake campground? I'll be coming up from Kingston

Thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #1806
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
What is the closest gas station to Desert Lake campground? I'll be coming up from Kingston
Looks like it is New Toppers Market
http://www.essostations.com/home.php...7283e8fb027d76
Old 05-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #1807
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,199
Quote:

Thanks
Highly recommend stopping in a small town called Sydenham?. It's about 20 minutes from the campsite and the road between the two is a serious roller coaster (paved). A personal favorite road

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #1808
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
Deadly.. I have barely looked at the tracks/routes I got when I paid up a while ago and haven't come close to loading them on my gps (zumo 550) so I don't yet know if the tracks I was sent will work on my gps or not. In case they don't how will us of lower technology acquire the truncated files? Are you posting them here sometime, PM's, email, as requested, etc?

I'm not a guru but would be happy to help as best I can. Here is a 101 gps how to

Two types of files

Tracks are a serious of dots (data points) with a line between them. You simply follow the line. No instructions are provided by the gps,its up to you to try to follow the line. The advantage is the line can go anywhere, no roads needed. The disadvantage if you get off the line the gps doesn't guide you back to the line, you need to figure it out yourself.

A route files is a serious of dots (data points) your gps uses it's brain and based on the maps it has loaded on it finds you roads to connect the dots. The advantage is it does the navigation and if you make a mistake it compensates and directs you back towards where you should be going. The HUGE disadvantage is it doesn't know about trails or seldom used backroads....this means it will direct you around the "good stuff" as it is the only way it knows.

A gps file is a collection of track and or route files. It also has waypoints. A waypoint is one location and usually has a title and is represented by a symbol. We use waypoints to show where a gas station might be and where a campground or beer store is.

Given the nature of the terrain we use track files NOT route files. Some gps units can use track files and route files and some can only use route files. Almost all units can use waypoints.

So what to do if gps unit cannot use a track file? Some people have luck tricky their gps...I'll let others try to help ya with that one as it is not reliable and each model has different tricks. Not something I would trust. Likely the best thing to do would be to either get a gps that can handle track files but if money is a concern then using a map overlay is the best answer although it involves being somewhat tech savvy. In a nutshell you create a blank map. The only thing added to the blank map is a line (the track line). You load this map onto your gps unit overtop of your existing map. Because it is clear you can see your normal map threw it. You end up with a static line that is the suggested route and like a track file you just follow the line. Issues, a map overlay file is unique to each model of gps. I think Eric is making one for a zumo...he did last year and it was available for folks to use. Free software is available to create map overlay files.

So there you have it...a 101... Does it help?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #1809
Gone-Native
XPLORER

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
If it s ok with you guys I'll be doing just that.

I also have ot figure out how to DL these routes onto my Streetpilot.
don't try and load the routes that have been sent already there will be updated routes sent to us soon....

are you using basecamp on yer mac?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #1810
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 885
Quote:

Thanks
There's a gas station in Sydenham at the start of the awesome Desert Lake Road.
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #1811
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:

Thanks
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Gas+Sta...,0.014656&z=17
Old 05-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #1812
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Old 05-17-2012, 06:17 AM   #1813
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 885
That's the one.

For some reason Sydenham isn't findable on google maps....
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #1814
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,098
Anybody else bail'n out,or are we done with that?

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #1815
Z50R
Not lost yet

Oddometer: 743
I got a full day of fabrication in today, I finished the bark busters:

I also got a good start on the luggage rack. I should be done with that tomorrow.

I caved and bought a set of engine bars as I don't think I have time to work up a set of my own. The bash plate is half done, I will order one if I run short of time but I think I will have enough to finish that one. Days till launch are getting short and I have to move out of my apartment between now and then...
Z50R is offline   Reply With Quote