User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
Guano11 OP
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,183
Flat Screen TV Choices Narrowed to Top 3 -- Advice Requested

My Boy Scout son has to do the research for "a major family purchase" to earn a particular merit badge. As a result, he's in charge of coming up with 3 choices for a 46-inch flat screen TV. And since he's not writing the check, I capped the purchase at around $1200 or so (negotiable if the reasoning is sound). Taken directly from his prepared notes, here's what he came up with, based mostly on Consumer Reports and assorted on-line rankings:

1. Sharp Aquos LC46LE, $1080 (LED/LCD 120Hz, subwoofer)
2. Sony KDL46EX620, $1170 (LED backlit, 120Hz)
3. Vizio SV472XUT, $1300 (LED/LCD, 240Hz, 47-inch)

One requirement (other than price) is good sound out of the box; I don't want to purchase a separate system. ALL the pictures on today's HDTV's look dynamite to me, so I suspect all of the above will be more than adequate, picture-wise. Personally, I'd choose a great-sounding TV with a good pic over poor sound/great pic.

I've done no research on my own -- hence this post -- nor have I been to the depths of tit-for-tat comparisons. But I'm pretty sure I don't want plasma (we move more than most), and I'm intrigued by LED TVs (are there LED-only TVs of this size?). Don't need 3D, either. But it's time to NOT be the one CRT-only household in the 'hood.

Before we hit the stores (he's chomping at the bit!), I'm hoping to get some advice from The Collective, to include any obvious choices he may have missed.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
cosybike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
What kind of crap scout badge is that?! Rampant Consumerism?
Baden Powell would not approve! Next badge should be something community or environment related. or make a film for this big telly?

This Scout and AV professional recommends going and seeing what is livable with and what has the easiest navigation interface. And don't skimp on proper external sound. And the scout should be contributing some effort to the household as his contribution. Cut the grass, do some hoovering etc.

(OH my god, I've turned into my Dad!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
My Boy Scout son has to do the research for "a major family purchase" to earn a particular merit badge. As a result, he's in charge of coming up with 3 choices for a 46-inch flat screen TV. And since he's not writing the check, I capped the purchase at around $1200 or so (negotiable if the reasoning is sound). Taken directly from his prepared notes, here's what he came up with, based mostly on Consumer Reports and assorted on-line rankings:

1. Sharp Aquos LC46LE, $1080 (LED/LCD 120Hz, subwoofer)
2. Sony KDL46EX620, $1170 (LED backlit, 120Hz)
3. Vizio SV472XUT, $1300 (LED/LCD, 240Hz, 47-inch)

One requirement (other than price) is good sound out of the box; I don't want to purchase a separate system. ALL the pictures on today's HDTV's look dynamite to me, so I suspect all of the above will be more than adequate, picture-wise. Personally, I'd choose a great-sounding TV with a good pic over poor sound/great pic.

I've done no research on my own -- hence this post -- nor have I been to the depths of tit-for-tat comparisons. But I'm pretty sure I don't want plasma (we move more than most), and I'm intrigued by LED TVs (are there LED-only TVs of this size?). Don't need 3D, either. But it's time to NOT be the one CRT-only household in the 'hood.

Before we hit the stores (he's chomping at the bit!), I'm hoping to get some advice from The Collective, to include any obvious choices he may have missed.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
cosybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
Ahar
Retired in place

Oddometer: 407
From latest Consumer Reports

Ahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
Guano11 OP
Half Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosybike View Post
What kind of crap scout badge is that?! Rampant Consumerism?
This Scout and AV professional recommends going and seeing what is livable with and what has the easiest navigation interface. And don't skimp on proper external sound. (OH my god, I've turned into my Dad!)
Ha! We've definitely met the requirements for the Rapid Consumerism merit badge! Good tip on the navigation interface; I kinda assumed they all had their goods & bads but all the same on average. Guess not.....

And as far as "Don't skimp on external sound", that's exactly what I'd expect an AV professional (salesman!) to recommend! Yer Dad'd be proud.

And BTW, the badge is called "Personal Management"; it's required for Eagle Scout, his next rank. Hopefully.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
Guano11 OP
Half Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahar View Post
LG tops latest Consumer Reports
Thanks Ahar. I asked my son why LG wasn't among his candidates; he said he considered it but couldn't remember why he un-considered it.
"Report back when you remember.....".

Looks like a good candidate to me, although I read elsewhere on ADV that LG product could be suspect (....but I think it was washers & dryers).
Old 05-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
Ahar
Retired in place

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
Ha! We've definitely met the requirements for the Rapid Consumerism merit badge! Good tip on the navigation interface; I kinda assumed they all had their goods & bads but all the same on average. Guess not.....

And as far as "Don't skimp on external sound", that's exactly what I'd expect an AV professional (salesman!) to recommend! Yer Dad'd be proud.

And BTW, the badge is called "Personal Management"; it's required for Eagle Scout, his next rank. Hopefully.

congradulations on making it this far in scouts, the salesman probably didn't make it past Weblo, haters gotta hate.
Ahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,315
Sony or Samsung... their screens are made in the same factory... but they are the best, from a features, reliability, design (looks), and apps...

I have a Sony LED.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Go figure..... I've been following threads discussing sexy new televisions (are they even called TV's anymore???) for the last couple years now........ But I'm still watching a 31" Maganvox CRT, even hooked a JVC boom box to it for sound (sounds flipp'n GREAT too?!?). I am sooooo behind the times.

But rather than buy a cool new flat screen on which to watch my monthly foreign Netflix DVD's (dem dar fer'ners make some damn good movies!), I decided to go out and buy a bicycle ferDogsakes!?? Between the cost of a decent medium-grade Touring Road Bike, them gheyass skin-tight padded shorts, a helmet, gloves, cages, and handlebar bag (in which to carry a gun..... I live in Stockton, CA. YOU do the research and figger out 'why'....), well I coulda bought me that LG at the top of the list posted above. (LG sure seems to be the sleeper set that gets tons-o-praise from those who don't need a designer-name set.....)

Well.... rather than sit and get fat(er) watching a flick, it's time I goop up my thighs, saddle the new Novara Randonee, and put an hour and 12 miles in. .....
(I still want a cool TV though. Someday, someday......)
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,067
I just broke down and paid $300 for a 32" LED 1080p, 120 mhz. I can't imagine spending that much money on a TV but energy consumption should be a major part of it. Maybe there is another badge for that.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
Hastelloy-X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I got me a Samsung 40 inch 6400 series led back lit. It does 120hz 1080p. I bought it from Sam's Club in August for $1099. The bastards lowered the price 3 months later to just under $900.00. I'd deffinetly buy it for the under $900.00 again if I had to.

You can't just go by stats... Compare them side by side if you can for view quality.

BTW Red Dead Redemption on PS3 looks awsome on this tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
Sony or Samsung... their screens are made in the same factory... but they are the best, from a features, reliability, design (looks), and apps...

I have a Sony LED.
Hastelloy-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,711
Spend less on the TV and more on a sound system, limiting yourself to speakers on the TV is a mistake. You need some physical separation between the speakers to benefit from 5:1 or 7:1 movie sound. I'm happy with my 47" Vizio 120Hz 1080p LCD I bought last year. I have a Pioneer amp and BIC speakers, both I'm happy with. It also serves as my monitor via HDMI.
AkBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,713
No Vizio...

A lot like a Chinese bike but less fum to fix when it breaks.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahar View Post
congradulations on making it this far in scouts, the salesman probably didn't make it past Weblo, haters gotta hate.
Is 'Weblo' some kind of new scout classification for computer nerds or did you mean Webelo? Back in my day...
Old 06-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #14
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
I keep reading that the Panasonic Plasmas are the best bang/IMAGE for the buck too...... The difficulty I have is.... though the Pana' Plasma 720 is said to offer just about the same quality/smooooth/glitch-free image as the 1080p at a VERY competitive price(!), if ya wanna just step up to the plate and make sure you've got a fully capable plasma sitting in yer living room for the next several years..... the 1080p is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive..... it's no longer the "deal" that the 720 can be had for.
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #15
Logan80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
I bought THIS 42" Panasonic Plasma a little over a year ago for $799 on sale locally and have been absolutely thrilled with it.

I also went and bought THIS home theater system to go with it for about $229 about 8 months after buying the TV, it made a HUGE difference!

It's worth shopping for sale prices if you can. My TV was regularly priced at $1,399 when I got it, and the home theater was supposed to be $299 or so.
Logan80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: