4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #423
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4badboyz View Post
I couldn't let this thread slip onto page 2
its the calm before the storm of posts....
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #424
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,038
I need to get a travel insurance !
IIRC we will enter the US on 12th and exit on 20th, right ?
Maybe one or 2 two days extra could be safe
Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #425
Rider23 OP
-<EvilTed>-

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinho View Post
I need to get a travel insurance !
IIRC we will enter the US on 12th and exit on 20th, right ?
Maybe one or 2 two days extra could be safe
Say 10th and 21 to be safe

Moab 2012
Rider23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #426
Rider23 OP
-<EvilTed>-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
its the calm before the storm of posts....

Soon to be 100's of pictures and videos

Moab 2012
Old 04-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #427
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider23 View Post
Soon to be 100's of pictures and videos
OK here is the beginning, well sort of.. The trailer prep

Pick up the Trailer from Rinho fri night, leave work 330 quick run over the Champlain bridge took 1.5hrs to get 4kms. Get to his place no problem. talk for a bit load the trailer ., Go in talk for a bit with Rinho and wifey. then get on my way.

The next days starts with calling my buddy who owns Ottawa camping trailers, parts guy say they didn't have tires my size in stock.
OK go to princes auto, 175$ tire and rim only available each...what! can't be. off to Canadian tire, parts counter guy says no such animal, but calls another store and they confirm they have it. OK off I go, get to the counter the guy brings out a car tire. wtf come on really! He confirms no trailer tire that size and load rating..

OK I might as well get the grease, bearings and treat myself to a new pair of tie downs after all it will be a long trip...

On my way home all sad with no tire, I pass my friends trailer dealer go in, say hi and see what they will do for me. Well it turns out they did have the tires but on rims for 185 each... OK time to sweet talk my buddy and put him on the spot...
We get talking and the profile is not the same as the tire I'm trying to match. and for such a long trip we really shouldn't be mixing tread patterns and profiles. he says just buy the two and stop f'ing around.
I'm not planing for 180$x2 plus bearings and seals....

so the sweet talking was how I could get him to take the rubber off the rims.... which is the way he looked at me... and I have to do as he had no service guys in and if he did they were not working for me on this project.

OK grab the wheels get them on the machine.pull of the present rubber. get looking at the rim bead, it was full of some kind of glue.. My buddy says I guess your cleaning them at home because we are closing.. OK.. off I go.

get home have dinner, back out to the garage.. get out grinder with the soft wheel, grind off the glue taking over an hour to do. unbelievable..

OK might as well get the bearing replaced as when I got them apart one bearing set were chattered. I went around the house to solicit if anyone wanted to learn about the finer points of bearing and repacking bearing the old school way. Naiomi stepped up and my son and sons friend stepped up to get this elusive knowledge...

so step right up and get scratching the bearing into your hand!! Old school style.

So a Little while later, after we punch out the races and pack the bearings... assemble the hub with the new seal... go to put the hub on the spindle. wtf , it doesn't fit... but I checked before I started packing them...... It turns out that the bearing package had the same part number but different bearings... I can't believe this... Fine, assemble the side that does fit and we will be going back to the trailer dealer the next day anyway. arg.

the next day off to the trailer dealer with the clean rims get the new tires put on the rims.. reasonably went OK putting the new rubber on, spray with soap, checking for leaks... and what ya know............ the f,ing thing f,ing leaks, where you ask,not that you did, valve stem... unbelievable... OK back on the machine, replace that get back together... settle the score$$ with of course another set of bearings and seals for one wheel.

get back pack the new bearings myself, unfortunately i couldn't get anyone to agree to get that elusive training... Reassembled the trailer wheel hubs, got the new wheels mounted check the lights... its done....

Our trip will not be like this right!!!?
Old 04-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #428
Rider23 OP
-<EvilTed>-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
OK here is the beginning, well sort of.. The trailer prep

Pick up the Trailer from Rinho fri night, leave work 330 quick run over the Champlain bridge took 1.5hrs to get 4kms. Get to his place no problem. talk for a bit load the trailer ., Go in talk for a bit with Rinho and wifey. then get on my way.

The next days starts with calling my buddy who owns Ottawa camping trailers, parts guy say they didn't have tires my size in stock.
OK go to princes auto, 175$ tire and rim only available each...what! can't be. off to Canadian tire, parts counter guy says no such animal, but calls another store and they confirm they have it. OK off I go, get to the counter the guy brings out a car tire. wtf come on really! He confirms no trailer tire that size and load rating..

OK I might as well get the grease, bearings and treat myself to a new pair of tie downs after all it will be a long trip...

On my way home all sad with no tire, I pass my friends trailer dealer go in, say hi and see what they will do for me. Well it turns out they did have the tires but on rims for 185 each... OK time to sweet talk my buddy and put him on the spot...
We get talking and the profile is not the same as the tire I'm trying to match. and for such a long trip we really shouldn't be mixing tread patterns and profiles. he says just buy the two and stop f'ing around.
I'm not planing for 180$x2 plus bearings and seals....

so the sweet talking was how I could get him to take the rubber off the rims.... which is the way he looked at me... and I have to do as he had no service guys in and if he did they were not working for me on this project.

OK grab the wheels get them on the machine.pull of the present rubber. get looking at the rim bead, it was full of some kind of glue.. My buddy says I guess your cleaning them at home because we are closing.. OK.. off I go.

get home have dinner, back out to the garage.. get out grinder with the soft wheel, grind off the glue taking over an hour to do. unbelievable..

OK might as well get the bearing replaced as when I got them apart one bearing set were chattered. I went around the house to solicit if anyone wanted to learn about the finer points of bearing and repacking bearing the old school way. Naiomi stepped up and my son and sons friend stepped up to get this elusive knowledge...

so step right up and get scratching the bearing into your hand!! Old school style.

So a Little while later, after we punch out the races and pack the bearings... assemble the hub with the new seal... go to put the hub on the spindle. wtf , it doesn't fit... but I checked before I started packing them...... It turns out that the bearing package had the same part number but different bearings... I can't believe this... Fine, assemble the side that does fit and we will be going back to the trailer dealer the next day anyway. arg.

the next day off to the trailer dealer with the clean rims get the new tires put on the rims.. reasonably went OK putting the new rubber on, spray with soap, checking for leaks... and what ya know............ the f,ing thing f,ing leaks, where you ask,not that you did, valve stem... unbelievable... OK back on the machine, replace that get back together... settle the score$$ with of course another set of bearings and seals for one wheel.

get back pack the new bearings myself, unfortunately i couldn't get anyone to agree to get that elusive training... Reassembled the trailer wheel hubs, got the new wheels mounted check the lights... its done....

Our trip will not be like this right!!!?
Boy you stretched that Job out didn't ya

Good Job bud

Moab 2012
Old 04-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #429
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider23 View Post
Boy you stretched that Job out didn't ya

Good Job bud
thks, no kidding that got stretched... i guess i don't get an hourly rate on that job right?

I believe Naoimi wants to talk to Rinho........ ..

shipwrek12001 screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 05:47 PM
Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #430
G Goat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
My son and I just got back from or first trip to Moab. Four days is not enough.
We hooked up with these guys for a couple of days
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754355 an had a fantastic time. If you want to really see Moab with a local rider call Jim (his number is on that post) and he will take you out for a day or two. If you tell him you want hard core, you had better be able to walk the talk. He also gave us some great pointers on Technic. He rides to your ability, but pulls you along to push your riding skills. If you drop back, he slows down, but not much. My son and I had the best ride with Jim and his team of guys. They ride there every day.
We bought this book when we got down there http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Backroad.../dp/0966497627 ,
$29. We didn't even bother with our GPS, the book and a small laminated map made it more fun for us.
Most trails took 2-5 hours. We didn't do the White Rim this time, as the locals told us it takes the whole day and a lot of it is pretty easy riding.
Bring your own booze, or buy it in Colorado. The Utah liquor stores close at 7 and have a very poor selection. The grocery store beer has been watered down significantly to like 2%.
Went for breakfast at a place called the Jailhouse on main street. Great eggs benny and side of bacon.
You guys are going to have a blast. Moab is a giant play ground.
G Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #431
Quantis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Hey guys. just looking for an opinion before we push off

14 tooth front sprocket, more fun but I hit reserve at ~240Km

OR

15 tooth from sprocket, a little less go but I hit reserve at ~300Km

I'm putting my new fork springs in tonight so I'll be dirty. I'm trying to get everything done this week. I want to have all my wrenching done this week so I'm no doing anything last minute.

Let me know,
Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #432
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
go with a 14. our longest day should be around 210kms between fuel stops.
Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #433
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
I just got back from a week in Moab with a few local riders from Calgary. It was great! Y'all have fun now, ya hear?

Garrett
Old 04-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #434
G Goat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantis View Post
Hey guys. just looking for an opinion before we push off

14 tooth front sprocket, more fun but I hit reserve at ~240Km

OR

15 tooth from sprocket, a little less go but I hit reserve at ~300Km

I'm putting my new fork springs in tonight so I'll be dirty. I'm trying to get everything done this week. I want to have all my wrenching done this week so I'm no doing anything last minute.

Let me know,
14 for sure
G Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #435
Rider23 OP
-<EvilTed>-

Thats all I can say

Moab 2012