User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Potential Contenders 800 vs 990

I'm doing a cross Canada run, most of the run will be on pavement with the exception of 800km of gravel road, and the occasional fire-road. This trip will be done with a passenger (2-up), and I have been looking at a few motorcycles over the past 6-8 months and I sat on all of the major ones, but nothing stood out more than the Tiger 800XC. Recently, I received a phone call from a friend of mine who knows of a dealer selling a 2012 990 ADV for only $1000 More than the 800XC, is the $1000 extra justify the purchase of the KTM?
turnitonagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Interesting...

I have ridden numerous models this last few months looking for "the one"... Right now it is the KTM 990, but I won't ride a Tiger 800xc until Thursday. So, it'll either be the Triumph or the KTM...

I want "fun" as we'll as function. The big KTM is FUN. If the Tiger 800 is fun, I will buy it. I like its looks, mileage and ease of maintenance over the KTM. I am not expecting the Triumph to have the same power, but it needs to be "fun".
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
Interesting...

I have ridden numerous models this last few months looking for "the one"... Right now it is the KTM 990, but I won't ride a Tiger 800xc until Thursday. So, it'll either be the Triumph or the KTM...

I want "fun" as we'll as function. The big KTM is FUN. If the Tiger 800 is fun, I will buy it. I like its looks, mileage and ease of maintenance over the KTM. I am not expecting the Triumph to have the same power, but it needs to be "fun".
Whats the maintenance like on a 990 KTM VS Tiger?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

My friends with KTM's are constantly complaining about mpg and maintenance costs... Not saying all are like that. One dropped his and had to buy a $1700 gas tank...
Old 11-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
no. 800 is better suited for 2 up.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
docsherlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I'd get the Tiger - better bike, cheaper and easier maintenance.

My opinion only and worth exactly what you paid for it.
docsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #7
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Decisions...

I have found myself in this same situation. I thought I had firmed up my decision to buy a 990. However, after reading through this site and every review I can find, I find myself looking at the tiger. They are similar in weight and HP, the KTM is slightly heavier and more powerful.

My main issue is that the KTM has a couple of things that have been gnawing at the back of mind, these being the fuel capacity, coupled with lower mpgs equates to shorter range. While these can be remedied by changing to an expensive after market tank, or adding an additional tank or carry extra fuel, the tiger beats it with better mileage and similar bhp. Also the more intensive maintenance, as well as, the known issues with the water and fuel pumps and clutch slaves.

It doesn't help that the tiger is reviewed extremely well. I haven't found a review (professional or owner) that has anything significantly negative to say. While I know that the KTM is the true pedigreed champion, the tiger is a great package for less money, and from what I can gather it comes with the same fuel capacity, better mpg/range, a lighter package, with better reliability and easier maintenance. Plus it costs about 4000 less. So for a slightly less capable suspension, which can be tuned for less than 4k, the tiger is winning.

I have never ridden a tiger, so 2-up capability I can't speak too, but I don't think you can go wrong on the tiger. It is quickly rising to the top of my list.

Good luck and post up pics either way
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

I just purchased my first "adventure" bike...

I ultimately narrowed it down to two bikes, the Tiger 800xc and the KTM 990. After riding the Tiger, I purchased one. Both were "FUN" to ride, plenty of horsepower and handled well.

The reasons I chose the Tiger over the KTM were:
1. Lower Perceived maintenance costs
2. Better looks (IMHO)
3. Lower upfront costs
4. Better mileage
5. Loved the triple motor!!

However, the KTM has a better suspension, slightly more "power" and feels good off-road. I could have been thrilled owning either one. I would encourage anyone to ride both before deciding...
Old 11-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

argghh! I have to say this is ONE TOUGH DECISION!!! Hands down, I looked at both bikes, sat on em, liked the feel of both, haven't ridden them as none were available to demo BUT, what's drawing me to the Tiger is just the overall package/design/usability/maintenance/reliability for it's intended purpose. Now, whats drawing me to the KTM is: Pedigree/prowess/Size/build quality/ruggedness/ability/power.

Now,

I found a 2012 Clearance sale for a KTM 990 Adv that is ONLY $1000 More than the Tiger 800XC and that is an AMAZING Price for a brand new KTM that hasn't sold since the dealer has a ton of them sitting around wanting to clear them before the new 2013's arrive. So, for the money the KTM is comparable to the Tiger 800XC in this case only and I'm really focused on the KTM but @ the same time the Trumpet is a great machine as well.

What does it come down to?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
Are you buying a motorcycle to make money or to ride? I wouldn't buy anything w/out a test ride. If they know your serious, then they will let you ride one. If not, then find a different dealer. Most triumph dealers just make you show your DL & sign a release.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,590
Funny how the stories are so similar...

I was at the dealership this summer trying to negotiate a left over (new) 11' 990, no options, collecting dust...dealer was like "Take it or leave it". I took a test ride and almost fell off from the power. Seat was not comfortable, very buzzy too. Something inside told me to go talk to my local Triumph dealer. Lower cost, options included, couldn't say no. They even threw in about $150 worth of stuff (Gloves, battery tender, chain lube, shirts). Great group of guys at PJ's here in Albuquerque.

Long story short I have about 3400 mi on my 12' TigerXC. I took my wife to Colorado on it and we both enjoyed the trip. Every manufacturer has its problems but yea I heard the KTM 990's have some significant issues.

Good luck!

NEW Scorpion Passport XL suit for sale
Dubl-A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Funny how the stories are so similar...

I was at the dealership this summer trying to negotiate a left over (new) 11' 990, no options, collecting dust...dealer was like "Take it or leave it". I took a test ride and almost fell off from the power. Seat was not comfortable, very buzzy too. Something inside told me to go talk to my local Triumph dealer. Lower cost, options included, couldn't say no. They even threw in about $150 worth of stuff (Gloves, battery tender, chain lube, shirts). Great group of guys at PJ's here in Albuquerque.

Long story short I have about 3400 mi on my 12' TigerXC. I took my wife to Colorado on it and we both enjoyed the trip. Every manufacturer has its problems but yea I heard the KTM 990's have some significant issues.

Good luck!
Yeah, it's just a tough situation, both bikes are great!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitonagain View Post
Yeah, it's just a tough situation, both bikes are great!
I hear ya,

Like I mentioned about problems, you may not like some things about the Tiger. I personally have the chain slap issue, the fuel stepper motor issue causing stalling (Since has been serviced and hasn't happened again). I don't like the huge stock exhaust that makes every rack kit uneven either. The stock pannier rack could have been designed better IMO.

Other than that I believe this bike is the one for me and I'm happy with what I got.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't know what the maintenance is like 100% for both bikes, lets say I'm looking for a jack of all trades but a master @ none.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitonagain View Post
lets say I'm looking for a jack of all trades but a master @ none.
Look no further

Honestly you're paying double for a do-it-all bike if you're looking at the 800/990. These will make you pull your hair out looking at aftermarket option pricing and expecting flawless performance out the gate.

Check out how sexy she is this year...