Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #706
chucky004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Who gives a crap!!!!!

If we don't see a bike soon, nobody will be talking to each other on this forum.
Lets do a litte poll here.

How many people here, are ready, right now, to plonk down US10K + fee's for the bike if it comes with.

A. Beautiful dakar looking fairing.
B. Top quality suspension, ie more travel than the GS800 or Tiger.
C. 250 mile range.
D. Spoked 18" and 21" wheels.
E. An 800cc motor, which we all know will be bullet proof.

Am I hearing "naw, too close to the price of the Triumph or GS800"
See, this is what the Sukuki marketeers are hearing too.

I'll be happy with a bog standard cheapo model, hopefully with a more KTM, Dakar look to it and I guess build what I want with aftermarket parts. Yes it would be great to see them come out with the ADV option but, for the prices they sell for, they need volume of sales.

An Ideal situation, is they offer the frame and motor as standard items and stock a range of options in the store to build your own.

"What wheels do you want with the bike sir? The spoked exel ones, great choice, ok, what size sir?" "Rear shock, front shock?, handlebar's?, take a look at our selection, seat?, big or small tank?"

"OK, sir, thats a total of $XX. Have a seat in the lounge and the bike will be ready in an hour, thank you"

This would be an ideal situation. It's like buying a camera with those silly SD cards in them. Just put in a 4 gig and charge more, oh wait, people would not buy then, bacause the camera would be $20 more but, no problem to come back the next day and buy the 4 gig card. Marketing is a tough one. Price the bike at$8,999 or $9000, which will sell more.
I would pay 10,000 in a heart beat to a jap bike that even came close to in comparison to a Tiger or Bmw.
chucky004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #707
Exploron
exploron

Oddometer: 79
In answer to above poll...

If Suzi offered all that and one-upped the Tiger, I probably would get one, provided I liked the ride. If Suzi priced their off-road version at $10k, they'd still be the "bargain" adv bike that is available today... with Suzi reliability.
I don't think they're going to offer two models, however, and I don't think they'll out-do the Tiger in performance.

I really like the Tiger, but I'm holding off until Suzi reveals this new one. Lately, I was even considering a used Buell Uly, but they're hard to find and future service could be a problem. Anyone else consider the Uly in their decision-making? Very intriguing bike. I've read alot about them, but no seat time.
Exploron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #708
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,360
I still havn't seen a statement that this will even be an adventure bike. It says "Time for real adventures" on the website, and "a new, mid-sized bike" Hell, it may be an NT700 clone for all we know.
Fun to fantasize, though........now, where did I put my Catherine Bell doll?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #709
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
Hmm, time for real adventures, a backdrop of a dirt road. Yeah it's probably a full dress tourer.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #710
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
I always thought that the generally accepted end of the baby boom was around the time of Kennedy's election - 1960/1. I have never seen the end of the period stated as being as late as 1964 before. That means even my little brother (b 1962) is a baby boomer and we have always told him that he was too young. I hope he doesn't read this thread.
Most credible sources suggest the "Boomer Generation" indicates just that, a generation: that is, a 10 year period, a decade.

Should be from 1945 and 1955.

Look at the birth rates in that 10 year period. Big spike.
Look at the size of high school graduating classes from about 1960 to 1966 ... now fast forward to those same numbers in the 70's. They are tiny by comparison.

Officially baby boomers are '45 to '55. Lots of folks play with this to make certain "studies" and statistical items work in their favor.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #711
avejoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
If your dad was in WWII and your mom is close in age to him, you're a baby boomer.

My dad pretty much won the war in Europe (ok, he had some help) and I was born in 1962.

My new v-strom adveture bike popularity spike theory is that folks that were part of the mtn bike craze of the 90's and early 2000's, are now figuring out adventure bikes are just like mtn bikes only you don't have to pedal.
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #712
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:

Who gives a crap!!!!!

Agree it's just a motorbike.

It will come, it will be bought, it will wear out (eventually), it will end up in the junk yard.

Rinse repeat.

Just another future piece of trash.

Try and have some fun along the way. How 'bout that?

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #713
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Who gives a crap!!!!!

An Ideal situation, is they offer the frame and motor as standard items and stock a range of options in the store to build your own.

This would be an ideal situation. It's like buying a camera with those silly SD cards in them.
One thing that's ignored is that the manufacturers use this, in cars... Not quite exactly so, but very close.

More money should be made by adding parts (suspension, tires, bars plus the usual accessories) to the frame/engine. What I'd like to see is having two different subframes, for two up and for one up.

Husky/BMW might come close to this, although in a different manner.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to what Suzuki has come up with... They must've learned something from BMW/Triumph...one hopes...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #714
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
Can't Suzuki just source and rebadge the Versys?
No need: all 120 people in the US who wanted a Versys already bought one.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #715
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,917
I am so thankful that this thread is so incredibly popular and that so many of you will jump at the cance to own the new version.

For me.....I will probably continue to thrash my Strom in the Rocky Mountains for another 2-3 years.....and when it dies......

I will purchase a lightly used DL800 for about $5k....with about 10k miles on it.

Keep up the good work here.....on this thread. Suzuki has you all in a tizzy.....just their marketing strategy. New sales are growing by the day.

So....yeah, I was a bit rude..... Sorry

But come on gang......if no one posted on this thread until the real unveiling.....it would be a good thing.
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #716
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
I am so thankful that this thread is so incredibly popular and that so many of you will jump at the cance to own the new version.

For me.....I will probably continue to thrash my Strom in the Rocky Mountains for another 2-3 years.....and when it dies......

I will purchase a lightly used DL800 for about $5k....with about 10k miles on it.

Keep up the good work here.....on this thread. Suzuki has you all in a tizzy.....just their marketing strategy. New sales are growing by the day.

So....yeah, I was a bit rude..... Sorry

But come on gang......if no one posted on this thread until the real unveiling.....it would be a good thing.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #717
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post

Thanks for the enlightenment.

No revelations in my post.........simple logic and good economics.
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #718
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
I for one am excited for this announcement. I know everyone is anxious and doubtful but I think it is a good sign the Japanese companies are noticing the new middle weight adventure class and might want to join in.

Suzuki is all about reliability... if they come out with something bulletproof and similar in capabilities to the F800GS and 800XC I am all in!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #719
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
so what's the update?
been on the road for a few days and expected the bike by now.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #720
jonsom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
More games

Check back in July.
jonsom is offline   Reply With Quote